Official MLB Off-Season Thread

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
129 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
106 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
54 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #61
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97 OP
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports the Red Sox are talking to the Marlins about reacquiring shortstop Hanley Ramirez.

Hard to believe. Ramirez is locked up through 2014 and recently finished second in the MVP balloting. There's no earthly reason Florida should be interested in moving the 25-year old unless Boston completely unloads their farm system. The Sox will have to look elsewhere for a shortstop upgrade.
make it happen theo
 8 years ago '07        #62
Bkjj11 3550 heat pts3550
space
space
$92,591 | Props total: 70217 70217
Alex Cora signs 1-year, $2mil deal with Mets

NEW YORK (AP) - Alex Cora is staying with the New York Mets,
agreeing to a $2 million, one-year contract.

Details of the infielder's deal were revealed Monday by two
people familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of
anonymity because the Mets had not yet formally announced it.

Cora can earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses:
$250,000 each for 80, 90, 100 and 110 starts. There is a $2 million
option for 2011 that becomes guaranteed if he has about 80 starts
next season.

The 34-year-old played 82 games this year, batting .251 with 18
RBIs and eight steals. He made 54 starts at shortstop, becoming the
regular after Jose Reyes got hurt. Cora didn't play after Aug. 12
because of torn ligaments in both thumbs that required surgery.
 8 years ago '04        #63
tazbk 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,685 | Props total: 17 17
 keithbm1111 said:
Yeah I'll take Scutaro, and if
I were the Yanks, I'd give up a s**t load for Halladay, cant go in the playoffs with a 3 man rotation again.

Sox better get him
I know its Roy but we already have a #1. Do you risk giving up a lot of your future and resigning him when you can sign a proven younger #1 (#2 the lowest) starting pitcher. Dude did win a World Series game 7 so he is no chopped liver.
 8 years ago '06        #64
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
$8,048 | Props total: 0 0
 tazbk said:
I know its Roy but we already have a #1. Do you risk giving up a lot of your future and resigning him when you can sign a proven younger #1 (#2 the lowest) starting pitcher. Dude did win a World Series game 7 so he is no chopped liver.
Yea, I'm kinda torn on the Halladay/Lackey debate as well. You can definitely see both sides of the argument; one costing us just cash, while the other cash AND prospects. But the one who costs you BOTH, is perhaps the best pitcher in baseball...while the other is known to be a "big-game" pitcher.

One thing I DO know, is you gotta LOVE the position the Yankees are in. Fresh off a World Series title, they can afford to not even make a move. But I think with Jeter and Mariano still competing at a high level, even though this is the tail end of their careers, you must go for the jugular.

Trading for Halladay and prying him away from Red Sox Nation would be just as big, if not bigger, than when we swooped in on Teixeira last offseason. We've had great success with pitchers acquired from Toronto in the past. Halladay/CC duo would be the best in baseball. Halladay has already been known to be a great mentor to AJ, imagine the effect he could have on Hughes and the pitching staff as a whole?

I'd give up Joba before Hughes...Montero is untouchable...but they could feast on the other top prospects Austin Jackson, Mark Melancon...shyt i'd even consider Romine.

I love Lackey's demeanor, and his "big-game" success. His injury history leaves me nervous, but his diminished "stuff" makes me worried. The Anaheim Angels have been one of the most superbly ran organizations in all of baseball, and for them to move forward with or without Lackey makes you wonder why.

Trading for Halladay is within our control. While hoping we sign Lackey, with plenty of other suitors, is no guarantee.

I say make the push for Halladay.
 8 years ago '06        #65
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
I say we go after miguel cabrera, sign holliday and scutaro.
Sign lackey too
and we should be straight
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '07        #66
Bkjj11 3550 heat pts3550
space
space
Rumor mill

This info-packed T.R. Sullivan report for MLB.com indicates that Texas is interested in Darren Oliver, Jermaine Dye and Octavio Dotel. Sullivan points out that all three are Type A free agents, costing the Rangers their first pick in next year's draft.
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates are "one of several teams" interested in Justin Duchscherer, who missed all of the 2009 season, first due to hip and elbow surgery, then as a result of clinical depression.
The Mets are close to a deal with free agent catcher Henry Blanco, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Blanco would be brought on as a backup. The 38-year-old hit .235/.320/.382 in 232 plate appearances for the Padres this year, catching 508 innings and earning $750K.

Rosenthal notes that in terms of starting catchers, Bengie Molina "is believed to be" the Mets' top target. Molina's prospects will be greatly affected by the Giants' decision whether to offer him arbitration tomorrow night.
The Cardinals will re-sign backup catcher Jason LaRue, according to the team's Twitter feed. In his second year as Yadier Molina's backup, LaRue hit .240/.288/.327 in 112 plate appearances and caught 254 innings. He earned $950K for his efforts.
 8 years ago '07        #67
Bkjj11 3550 heat pts3550
space
space
Roy Halladay OK with deal to Yankees

NEW YORK -- If the Yankees can pry Roy Halladay loose from the Blue Jays, the ace right-hander seems to be all for shifting allegiances in the American League East.

Halladay would reportedly waive his no-trade clause for a trade that would fit him for Yankees pinstripes, according to a story Friday in The Toronto Sun.

The story, written by Bob Elliott, quotes an unnamed Major League executive as saying, "I don't know when he is going and I don't know where he's going. But I do know that Halladay has told the Jays he'll approve a trade to the Yankees."

Halladay, 32, has not been shy about exercising his full no-trade clause in the past. When the Blue Jays were considering possible landing spots for Halladay in July, the Twins were nixed as a destination, and Rangers president Nolan Ryan said in September that his club would have been blocked as well.

The former American League Cy Young Award winner has a career record of 148-76 with a 3.43 ERA over 12 seasons in Toronto, and he has one year remaining on a three-year, $40 million deal.

A trusted mentor to Yankees starter A.J. Burnett during their time together in Toronto, Halladay will earn $15.75 million in 2010 and would become a free agent after the season, unless he is traded and reaches an agreement on a new extension.

Citing a source, the New York Daily News wrote last week that the Red Sox were putting on a "full-court press" to land Halladay, with the goal of pulling off such a transaction before the Winter Meetings start in Indianapolis on Dec. 7.

It is believed that Halladay's preferred teams for a deal would include the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Phillies, all of whom can fulfill his desire to contend for a World Series title while also possessing the ability to offer a rich contract.

If the Yankees want to pull off a trade for Halladay, the price is likely to be a young and talented package that could include a Major League-ready pitcher like Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes, as well as a top prospect like catcher Jesus Montero or outfielder Austin Jackson.

A similar circumstance was a deal breaker for general manager Brian Cashman after the 2007 season, when the Yankees passed on trading for Johan Santana and instead waited one year to pursue CC Sabathia as a free agent.

New York could use the pitching help, as manager Joe Girardi said this week it appears to be Sabathia, Burnett and "a mix of some other guys."

Andy Pettitte is contemplating retirement once again and has not tipped his intentions, and while the Yankees view Chamberlain and Hughes as starters for 2010, that is not concrete. Behind them would be a patch of back-end candidates that will likely include Chad Gaudin, Alfredo Aceves and Sergio Mitre.

The Yankees are scheduled to meet next week in Tampa, Fla., to finalize their budget for 2010, and they are not expected to put on the same spending blitz as last winter, when $423.5 million in new commitments were issued to Sabathia, Burnett and Mark Teixeira.

But the Yankees have holes to fill, and Cashman has said that he plans to engage the Yankees' own free agents -- including Pettitte, Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui -- before attacking the open market. While Cashman has discussed trades with teams, including the Blue Jays, he said nothing is imminent.

"I don't have a trade sitting in my back pocket," Cashman said.
 8 years ago '07        #68
Truth B T0ld 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,556 | Props total: 339 339
f**k Halladay, we dont need his a.ss. CC is the ace of this team. do we really want to tear apart our farm system and trade our future away for a 34 year old pitcher?

signing Lackey just makes too much sense...upgrade the rotation plus we get to keep all our prospects.. Win-win situation
 8 years ago '06        #69
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
 Truth B T0ld said:
f**k Halladay, we dont need his a.ss. CC is the ace of this team. do we really want to tear apart our farm system and trade our future away for a 34 year old pitcher?

signing Lackey just makes too much sense...upgrade the rotation plus we get to keep all our prospects.. Win-win situation
He's 32 and will be 33 at the beginning of next year. A move for Halladay will put a stranglehold on the Red Sox.
 8 years ago '04        #70
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,751 | Props total: 13138 13138
Doc's price will come down come January. I definately do not want to deal Montero or Hughes in any potential trades for Roy. The ideal scenario for me is Toronto changes their mind and deals him to the National League and we sign Lackey to be our #2. Lackey won't get AJ money in this market.
 8 years ago '04        #71
space
space
 DRuNk 24/7 said:
He's 32 and will be 33 at the beginning of next year. A move for Halladay will put a stranglehold on the Red Sox.
Only way a Doc trade becomes imperative is if Andy retires. The Sox won't deal their top prospects for Roy. Neither will the Yanks it seems. Toronto will relent and trade him for cheap because they know not alot of teams are going to want to give this guy a 23MM per year for 4/5 years. It's sad because I see Doc aging alot better than CC and AJ because of his uncanny stuff.
 8 years ago '06        #72
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
 stunna2004 said:
Only way a Doc trade becomes imperative is if Andy retires. The Sox won't deal their top prospects for Roy. Neither will the Yanks it seems. Toronto will relent and trade him for cheap because they know not alot of teams are going to want to give this guy a 23MM per year for 4/5 years. It's sad because I see Doc aging alot better than CC and AJ because of his uncanny stuff.
Not so much as CC (lefty w/ a change can pitch forever), but definitely AJ.

Doc is another David Cone, a pitcher who just "GETS IT DONE". He's got nasty stuff that will translate as he ages.

I really think the right move is to apply the pressure. I'm not as sold on Joba as I WAS at one point. I don't think he has the mental makeup to become more than just his talent alone. I would deal anyone not named Hughes or Montero. This team is set up to WIN NOW for at least the next 2-3 years (with Jeter/Mo coming to the end of their career).

A Halladay/CC duo will eliminate all worries entering a best of 5 first round series. A team led by Halladay/CC will bring home #28 next year.
 8 years ago '05        #73
MATIX 
space
space
$7,989 | Props total: 72 72
dont make any moves redsox or yanks.
 8 years ago '06        #74
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
 MATIX said:
Thats like asking Paris Hilton not to suck any d*ck.
 8 years ago '05        #75
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
 DRuNk 24/7 said:
Thats like asking Paris Hilton not to suck any d*ck.
Or like asking Jay Cutler not to throw interceptions
 8 years ago '06        #76
DRuNk 24/7 6 heat pts
space
space
 BoSox84 said:
Or like asking Mark Sanchez not to throw interceptions
Fixed
 8 years ago '04        #77
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,081 | Props total: 4427 4427
 MATIX said:
even if they dont the devils rays fluke was just that a one year fluke
 8 years ago '08        #78
AC_89 200 heat pts200
space
space
$39,318 | Props total: 13697 13697
I dont mind henry blanco for 1 year
 8 years ago '05        #79
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
 MosDefinition said:
even if they dont the devils rays fluke was just that a one year fluke
False statement.

They're not the "Devil" Rays anymore
 8 years ago '04        #80
space
space
Reps: Halladay won't OK deal after offseason

Written by Buster Olney ESPN.com

Roy Halladay, the All-Star pitcher who has been the subject of much trade talk since before the July deadline, will not approve any proposed deal after he reports to spring training, according to his representatives.

This means that the Blue Jays will either have to work out a trade of Halladay by the end of the off-season, or be prepared to receive only draft-pick compensation when the pitcher becomes eligible for free agency in the fall of 2010.

Halladay, 32, has the power to veto any trade, through the terms of his contract. Halladay is renowned for his focus and preparation, and despite the fact that the Jays have finished behind the Yankees or Red Sox year after year in the standings, he has not lobbied for change.

But sources say that when Halladay was approached by club officials before the trade deadline about his future, he told them that he wanted a chance to play with a team with a chance to win, without making specific demands about a destination. And now the Blue Jays are headed into another period of rebuilding.

The Blue Jays made him available for trade offers before the July 31 deadline, setting a high price that some rival executives found to be unrealistic -- and there has been recent speculation that if the Jays don't trade Halladay this winter, they might wait until next July to deal Halladay.

But Halladay wants the situation settled by the time he goes to spring training, according to Jeff Berry, a partner at CAA partner who works with Halladay's long-time point agent, Greg Landry.

Berry said in a phone interview late Monday night that the representatives and Halladay have had a "very good dialogue" with new Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos, and that the Blue Jays will have to make a decision "based on what they believe is in the best long-term interest of the Blue Jays organization."

"[But] one thing is certain -- once Roy reports to spring training as a member of the Blue Jays, from that point forward he will not approve or even discuss any potential trade scenario," Berry continued. "This will eliminate a repeat of the distracting media frenzy of 2009 for both Roy and his teammates, and will allow Roy to focus on pitching at the exceptional level Jays fans have come to expect."

Halladay is 148-76 in his career, with a 3.43 ERA, winning the 2003 Cy Young Award and finishing in the top five in the Cy Young voting four other times. He went 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA for the Jays in 2009, throwing 239 innings and leading the league with nine complete games.

Two years ago, Johan Santana made a similar demand of the Minnesota Twins, as his situation reached a critical mass: he informed the Twins that he would not approve any trade after he reported to spring training. The Twins wound up dealing him to the Mets for outfielder Carlos Gomez and others, and Santana signed a six-year, $137.5 million extension with New York, a record at the time; a year later, CC Sabathia received a seven-year, $161 million deal with the Yankees.

Santana made it clear to interested teams that he would require a contract extension in order to approve a trade, and this affected the offers made by the Red Sox and the Yankees. Halladay isn't necessarily going to make that demand, although it stands to reason that any team that acquires him would want to lock him up to a long-term deal, and that Halladay would be in line to ask for compensation along the lines of what Santana and Sabathia received.

"Obviously, there are recent contract markers for a pitcher of this magnitude," Berry said. "That being said, each potential trade situation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with a critical factor being the legitimate opportunity for Roy to pursue multiple World Series championships."

The Blue Jays talked with the Phillies, Angels, Red Sox and Rangers about possible trades before the deadline, and one source indicated last week that Halladay could be swayed to accept a deal to Boston, the Yankees, Phillies or Angels. Toronto president Paul Beeston was quoted last week as saying that Halladay is "not inclined" to re-sign with the Blue Jays. That's something that the team has known to be a fait accompli once it began rebuilding again.

Toronto would appear to have a clear choice in the matter, going forward: A) They could either conclude a deal before the start of spring training for less than what the Blue Jays hoped to get before the July 31 deadline, or B) be prepared to have Halladay lead their staff throughout the 2010 season and then walk away after next year, with Toronto receiving draft picks as compensation after he departs as a free agent.

[pic - click to view]

:dancingcool:
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
163 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
95 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy