Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
72 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
79 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
94 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
278 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM         #1
7302 pageviews
120 comments

TriangleOffense 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

lol

Anywhere between an estimated 600,000 and 1 million players who use Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service will be cut off from the service because they have modified their game consoles or played games that were illegally downloaded from file-sharing sites, according to the company.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft said in a statement Wednesday.

The timing of the statement coincides with the release this week of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," a highly anticipated Xbox 360 game. The game's release means big sales — but also sales of pirated copies, which are illegal.

There are more than 20 million players worldwide who use the Xbox Live gaming service, according to Microsoft. The service lets gamers play each other online as well as buy and download games.

"It's fair for people to feel that they should be able to do whatever they want with something that they have bought, but it's also fair for Microsoft to do everything it can to reduce the risk of piracy," said Dave Taylor, publishing director for GamerZines.com.

"In some cases though, modding (modifying) is done to allow a bigger hard drive, and given that the supplied hard drives are still very small comparative to what is available on the market, and expensive also, you can see why some people are going to be very angry."

However, he said, "the biggest problem in banning modded consoles — and this gets missed by most people — is that it is the console itself that gets banned. So many of these consoles get sold secondhand, even sometimes unwittingly by stores (that) accept them as trade-ins, to people who a.ssume they have just bought a functioning console. And while it might technically boot up, the console is blacklisted and therefore pretty much useless to them."

Microsoft, he said, "needs to find a way to address this, or else it risks annoying the modders who make up 1 percent of their audience and the second-hand purchasers."

The company "needs to do a better job of explaining to people why modding consoles isn't acceptable, and needs to find a way to help people tricked into purchasing blacklisted consoles," said Taylor.

In its Xbox Live and Windows games' "Terms of Use" agreement, as of September 2008, Microsoft says that players are to use "only authorized software and hardware to access the Service," and that they agree that their software and hardware "have not been modified in any unauthorized way ... and that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification."

In addition, "any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software a.ssociated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft."

[pic - click to view]

Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users - Games - msnbc.com

120 comments for "Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users"

8 years ago '06        #2
Game375 48 heat pts48
space
space
$13,529 | Props total: 949 949
i believe that. they got me..x2
 8 years ago '05        #3
Fresh|B 977 heat pts977
space
space
$43,445 | Props total: 25128 25128
.......GGGGOOOOOOTTTDDDAAAMMMNNN....

Christmas This Year Going Have People In The Return Line.
 8 years ago '06        #4
iCON-8 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,832 | Props total: 2 2
Why don't ya'll get a job and pay for your s**t instead of ripping their games off. They won't ban you then.

s**t i buy a new game every week nearly. Ya'll need to step your money up.
 8 years ago '04        #5
The Go 2 Guy 31 heat pts31
space
space
space
$3,715 | Props total: 10 10
it's not really about having alot of $ and buying a new game every week. what i've been saying is that people should just buy the games they play often. use gamefly or another service to rent games for achievements or campaign only instead of getting ya 360 modded. saves you time, hassle, headaches and all that.
 8 years ago '04        #6
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 320 320
Any of you ever downloaded a song illegally? Shut the f**k up
 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM         #7
Atlanta  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iCON-8 said:
Why don't ya'll get a job and pay for your s**t instead of ripping their games off. They won't ban you then.

that's pretty dumb

you could spend that $ on better stuff instead of a dvd disc
 8 years ago '04        #8
King Kusanagi 36 heat pts36
space
space
$8,941 | Props total: 3140 3140
 iCON-8 said:

Why do you even care? Go save prostitutes, Not Pirates...
 8 years ago '06        #9
banga 8 heat pts
space
space
$31,372 | Props total: 5647 5647
 iCON-8 said:

don't knock people who know how to beat the system. unnecessarily spending money on s**t when you can get it for the low is for suckers.
 8 years ago '06        #10
WillScrillz5000 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,666 | Props total: 552 552
Listen, if you mod your s**t then you can't get mad for being banned if you get caught, plain and simple

If you want to take that risk then it's your choice. It's a risk. Yeah the games are expensive BUT these developers spend millions on creating the s**t for ya'll to play. Games like MW2 and GTA cost A LOT to make..and TIME TIME TIME.

So mod your s**t if you want, that's not the problem at all, you're just risking getting banned but that's ok, you might get away with it and if that's how you wanna live, always in fear of updates and new stealth methods then more power to you. The problem's when you b**ch about a game costing 60 bucks and you acting like YOUR the one being robbed.

Yeah a lot of games suck but you can mostly avoid a bad game by, A.) Reading a review about the game, or, B.) Reading a forum finding out what the players think about it... I mean s**t, most of the games ya'll burn turn out to be wack anyway so why get banned for a game that you might only play once.

I understand too that you wanna get ALL the games so you can show off and be like, "oh, I got all those games" but who really cares unless you're making money off 'em. Again, who cares that you burn the games and steal them- not me. Just please stop acting like Microsoft owes YOU for something. ANd please don't tell me "my system broke x amount of times so they owe me!" f**k THAT s**t - at least they fix their mistakes for free. Try that s**t with a PS3 (which are failing too just not as much) because sony wants you to pay for their mistake.

Sorry for the block of text and no I don't defend microsoft I'm a neutral party.
 8 years ago '04        #11
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 WillScrillz5000 said:
Listen, if you mod your s**t then you can't get mad for being banned if you get caught, plain and simple

If you want to take that risk then it's your choice. It's a risk. Yeah the games are expensive BUT these developers spend millions on creating the s**t for ya'll to play. Games like MW2 and GTA cost A LOT to make..and TIME TIME TIME.

So mod your s**t if you want, that's not the problem at all, you're just risking getting banned but that's ok, you might get away with it and if that's how you wanna live, always in fear of updates and new stealth methods then more power to you. The problem's when you b**ch about a game costing 60 bucks and you acting like YOUR the one being robbed.

Yeah a lot of games suck but you can mostly avoid a bad game by, A.) Reading a review about the game, or, B.) Reading a forum finding out what the players think about it... I mean s**t, most of the games ya'll burn turn out to be wack anyway so why get banned for a game that you might only play once.

I understand too that you wanna get ALL the games so you can show off and be like, "oh, I got all those games" but who really cares unless you're making money off 'em. Again, who cares that you burn the games and steal them- not me. Just please stop acting like Microsoft owes YOU for something. ANd please don't tell me "my system broke x amount of times so they owe me!" f**k THAT s**t - at least they fix their mistakes for free. Try that s**t with a PS3 (which are failing too just not as much) because sony wants you to pay for their mistake.

Sorry for the block of text and no I don't defend microsoft I'm a neutral party.
I don't knwo what threads you've been reading in here...but most of the banned people are just saing like "i was banned" and letting peopel know...I haven't read one person say "This f**king sucks I don't know why i'm banned and I can't ebelive MS would ban me for modding the system"
so unless your on a bizarro BXGS then We read two way different threads....
 8 years ago '05        #12
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,086 | Props total: 10767 10767
tl;dr
 8 years ago '04        #13
space
space
 P-Hill said:
tl;dr
?????????????????????
 8 years ago '04        #14
XxC4xX 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,773 | Props total: 251 251
 WillScrillz5000 said:
there, summed it up for you lol. but All systems have that. why do you think they have had angencies in the past for things like this. hell I remember when playstation underground use to have videos(kinda like the series cops) of law enforcement arresting ps1 modders, and bootleggers.
 8 years ago '05        #15
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,086 | Props total: 10767 10767
too long; didn't read
 8 years ago '05        #16
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,218 | Props total: 15780 15780
Good.....n*ggas going end up spending more money getting a new system to play on live again, then if they would did it the right way in the first place
 8 years ago '04        #17
space
space
 Killamike79 said:
Good.....n*ggas going end up spending more money getting a new system to play on live again, then if they would did it the right way in the first place
nope it's called get a new system for free...learn how to hustle then talk s**t...
 8 years ago '05        #18
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,218 | Props total: 15780 15780
 Da Ill One said:
nope it's called get a new system for free...learn how to hustle then talk s**t...
You took offense, must be one of the 1 million who got banned....
 8 years ago '04        #19
space
space
 Killamike79 said:
You took offense, must be one of the 1 million who got banned....
actually nope I am still unbanned...but when i do get banned (i'm sure it's coming) i'll get another one for free re-mod it and keep it going...you taking offence to people knowng how ti hustle tells me you must be broke...
 8 years ago '06        #20
old-skool 97 heat pts97
space
space
$4,130 | Props total: 1362 1362
im still good :dancingcool: im waiting tho. anyday now lol but so far im glad i got hitachii :applause:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
96 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
22 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
63 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy