Tekken Trailer Impressions

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
27 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
19 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
79 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
21 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #1
5919 pageviews
34 comments

TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
Tekken Trailer Impressions

[pic - click to view]

IGN Movies is at this week's AFM (American Film Market) in L.A., where the film with the most dominant presence is undoubtedly Tekken, Crystal Sky's live-action adaptation of the Namco videogame franchise. Promotional art work for the film is plastered throughout the trade show's venue at the Santa Monica Loews Hotel, as well as on shuttle buses servicing AFM attendees.

Tekken is directed by Dwight H. Little (murder at 1600) and stars Luke Goss, Jon Foo, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Gary Daniels, Ian Anthony Dale, Kelly Overton, Cung Le, and Tamlyn Tomita. Alan B. McElroy (Spawn, Wrong Turn, The Marine) wrote the script, which chronicles Jin Kazama's quest for revenge against Tekken Corporation chairman Heihachi Mishima, the man responsible for the death of his mother. The only way for Jin to get close to Mishima is to enter Tekken's Iron Fist tournament.

IGN hit Luke Goss' after party after last night's Tekken screening for potential distributors. A teaser trailer for the movie was played on a loop at the party, but it should be noted that this may just have been a promotional reel for would-be buyers and not the final trailer. In either case, it's the first time that the Tekken movie has been exposed to so many people. Here's what the Tekken trailer had to offer:

The following title cards flash at various points throughout the trailer: "One tournament ... decides the fate of millions. ... They f!ght for power ... They f!ght for honor ... They f!ght for pride ... But one man ... f!ghts for revenge. ... Courage fuels him ... Rage drives him."

The trailer opens with a Blade Runner-style flying car soaring over a futuristic city, which has a massive stadium in the center of it. Inside the stadium, a rowdy crowd cheers for the show to begin, their blood clearly up. We see the "Tekken Iron Fist" tournament sign, then shots of f!ghters in action. We get our first look at goatee-sporting Ian Anthony Dale as Kazuya Mishima, followed by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Heihachi Mishima (whose countenance also graces giant ads for Tekken on the sides of buildings, with the slogan "Strength Through Order"). We then see a montage of the tournament's different f!ghters, including Raven, Eddie Gordo, Bryan Fury, Craig Marduk, and Yoshimitsu -- all of whom look very much like their game counterparts. Yoshimitsu's armor seemed like a cross between the versions worn in Tekken 3 and Tekken 6.

Obviously, the emphasis in the Tekken trailer is on f!ghting, so it's a lot of action shots from tournament matches. There's flipping, punching, kicking -- all the moves you'd expect. At one point a f!ghter whips a heavy chain around his opponent's head to bring him down. Then we meet our hero, Jin Kazama (Jon Foo), as he runs along the ledges of a building and leaps off, parkour-style. We see him f!ght in a cage match (reminiscent of Wolverine's introduction in the first X-Men), and his rise up from the streets and into the Iron Fist competition.

Jin meets Steve Fox (Luke Goss), and then the s3xy Christie Monteiro (Kelly Overton). Then there's the making-of-a hero montage of Jin in training, pummeling a wooden dummy. More shots of Yoshimitsu. Steve Fox yelling. Kazuya walking bare-chested with a wall of fire behind him. Then we get our hero shot of Jin, now looking exactly like his game counterpart: no shirt, black pants with flames down the right leg, the gauntlets. His look is pretty much dead-on.

We then see Steve Fox in the ring, followed by hot chicks f!ghting (it may have been Nina vs. Anna Williams, or one of them vs. Christie Monteiro; it all went by too fast to tell). Then we get a Fast and Furious dance club scene with Christie bumping and grinding, then of her and Jin making out. We see Jin battling Bryan Fury (Gary Daniels), with one of Jin's blow causing a sort of energized ripple across Fury's chest. Cut to a shot of guards pulling a distraught Asian woman away (this may have been Jun Kazama, played by Tamlyn Tomita). More f!ghting shots, now with f!ghters wielding maces and half-moon axes. It ends with, of course, the Tekken movie logo.

Frankly, the trailer was more impressive than I expected it to be. It certainly looked way better and more polished than Street f!ghter: The Legend of Chun-Li and other f!ghting game movie adaptations. It was felt like Mortal Kombat crossed with X-Men and with some of the s3xy, hip, urban youth appeal of the Fast and the Furious films. Unlike most other videogame movies, Tekken actually looked like it had something of a budget and that it wasn't made for TV pilot money. Nothing in it looked particularly cheesy or embarrassing, which is kind of remarkable considering how much of the look of the game and its characters it retained. Unlike the recent Street f!ghter movie, these characters actually bear a strong resemblance to their game counterparts, but they also don't look dumb or campy or out of place in the world the film's established. (Well, at least as far as I could tell from this trailer.)

The f!ght scenes looked good and appeared well crafted; slow-motion and wire work were evident but not overused (again, at least as far as the trailer is concerned). Judging from this footage, Tekken looks like a pretty decent (f!ghting) game-to-film adaptation. Hell, it looked better than Wolverine and that was released by a major studio. Tekken doesn't have a stateside distributor lined up yet, but it will probably land one soon thanks to its dominance at this year's AFM.

[pic - click to view]

source

34 comments for "Tekken Trailer Impressions"

8 years ago '07        #2
Jeet Kune Do 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,072 | Props total: 1843 1843
its gonna be balls
 8 years ago '04        #3
zhiggeman 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,095 | Props total: 3919 3919
in yo mouth! lol nah, it should be good, ready for the new mortal kombat movie
 8 years ago '06        #4
Jersey826 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,826 | Props total: 1174 1174
I always thought the Tekken games would make a good movie because of the style they're done in.

But where the f**k is Hwoarang? That's Jin's main rival!
 8 years ago '04        #5
rashad0715 76 heat pts76
space
space
$10,403 | Props total: 212 212
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.
 8 years ago '05        #6
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,838 | Props total: 4136 4136
I just hope it ain't a disaster... We've had lots of video game based movies be unbelievably crappy as of late...
 8 years ago '06        #7
StillFree28 27 heat pts27
space
space
$20,499 | Props total: 4816 4816
can't be worse than the Chun-Li movie right?

.....right?
 8 years ago '07        #8
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 195 195
It was shot in my city(Shreveport) so my expectations were low but reading this brings hope.
 8 years ago '05        #9
Fresh|B 977 heat pts977
space
space
$43,451 | Props total: 25142 25142
....AAWWWW HELL YEAH!!! They Got Cary-Hiroyuki,The One That Played Shang Tsung In The Mortal Kombat,Is In This Flim. Thats All I Need To Know To Be Ready For This Movie Here. Yeah....I'll Cross My Fingers For The Trailer Leak and Pray It Aint On That Dragon Ball Z Bullshyt Movie...

Kind Of Heated That King Isnt In It and Christie Post To Make A Rumor Appearance So Whoever Playing Her Better Have The a.ss & t*tties To Match
 11-08-2009, 09:19 PM         #10
AlexG1989 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
haha... a movie about Tekken??? I don't know about this... the in game cut scenes from Tekken 5 were awesome, they should just make a cgi movie. Cause I'm sure they'll just f**k up a live action movie....

Is Law going to be in it??? too bad Bruce Lee is dead, he'd be the perfect actor for it
 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM         #11
_QD_ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Fresh Whyte said:
....AAWWWW HELL YEAH!!! They Got Cary-Hiroyuki,The One That Played Shang Tsung In The Mortal Kombat,Is In This Flim. Thats All I Need To Know To Be Ready For This Movie Here. Yeah....I'll Cross My Fingers For The Trailer Leak and Pray It Aint On That Dragon Ball Z Bullshyt Movie...

Kind Of Heated That King Isnt In It and Christie Post To Make A Rumor Appearance So Whoever Playing Her Better Have The a.ss & t*tties To Match

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '06        #12
homme 59 heat pts59
space
space
$9,368 | Props total: 2081 2081
 _QD_ said:

[pic - click to view]

Batista?
 11-08-2009, 10:55 PM         #13
_QD_ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThaCarter407 said:
Batista?
He was rumored to play King....pic might be fake though
 8 years ago '05        #14
Fresh|B 977 heat pts977
space
space
$43,451 | Props total: 25142 25142
 _QD_ said:

[pic - click to view]

....Oh Shyt But Hold Up....Why It Look Like A Tiger Mask,Its Post To Be A Jaguar Mask. Its Him....

"IMDB page for Tekken was updated with Batista in the role of King. King is the name of two different characters in the Tekken f!ghting game series. The character was inspired by both legendary Japanese pro wrestler Tiger Mask, as well as Mexican wrestler Fray Tormenta, who just happened to be a Catholic priest who became a masked wrestler in order to support an orphanage. Both Characters wear a realistic Jaguar Mask into the ring"

He The Only n*gga That I Know That Can Pull That Part Off With The Powerbombs & DropKicks That King Be Doing.
 8 years ago '04        #15
rashad0715 76 heat pts76
space
space

[pic - click to view]

11-09-2009, 04:37 PM         #16
lyricallySha89 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this movie is gonna be dope
 8 years ago '04        #17
rashad0715 76 heat pts76
space
space
Jon Foo as Jin Kazama

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '07        #18
THEprophecy 
space
space
space
$339 | Props total: 0 0
you would think they could make jins hair a little more like the game.

hopefully they all speak the same language, and all dont understand eachother while speaking in their own dialects like the video game haha..
 8 years ago '04        #19
zhiggeman 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,095 | Props total: 3919 3919
honestly you can't go wrong with tekken tho. Just take all the s**t straight from the damn game, the script is already written.

yeah tista is playing king it was mentioned during the smackdown vs raw media rounds. luckily king doesn't speak so tista is perfect. damn nina and anna looking nice. I just need to see who plays eddie and who is going to be jack!!
 8 years ago '08        #20
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,877 | Props total: 1157 1157
Why is Anna and Nina all up on each other like that! i thought they were sisters, that hated each other no less! I would like for them to watchmen this w/ some Iron Man mainstreaming! By that I mean get every detail of the game world right and script it so that its identifiable to all audiences coming in and not just the hardcore.

While tekken is no watchmen w/ its simple dialogue and quick cutscenes it does tell the story's plot and backstories relatively well!

Hopefully this isn't DBZ generations or chun-li!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
68 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
187 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
63 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
54 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
75 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
22 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside F*ck That: Atlanta Businessman Breaks Down How Crazy Expensive Is It to..
66 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy