Oil Light stays on

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
134 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
181 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '09        #1
7900 pageviews
14 comments

Two Five Design 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,186 | Props total: 16 16
Oil Light stays on

Just bought an 06 Chrysler 300 Touring. It's a good car except my oil light won't go off. It goes off when I accelerate but then turns back on when my car is cruising or stopped. There is enough oil in it so I'm thinking it's either a bad sensor or just need an oil change. No overheating or anything.

What do you guys think?

14 comments for "Oil Light stays on"

11-07-2009, 11:53 AM         #2
TrkyMfns 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Prolly oil pressure.
 8 years ago '05        #3
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,554 | Props total: 1156 1156
if you just bought it you should have what 30-90 day warranty make them fix it.
 8 years ago '05        #4
j da pimp 
space
space
$1,158 | Props total: 0 0
oil sending unit is prolly bad, hopefully its not the oil pump
 8 years ago '05        #5
hbk83 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,028 | Props total: 1226 1226
yea check to see when the last time there was an oil change, if its past the time limit its prob the oil.
 8 years ago '06        #6
Bman409 20 heat pts20
space
space
$20,388 | Props total: 2451 2451
When your oil light comes on its telling you that your oil pressure is at its minimum. Its not telling you that you have low oil.

I can only think of 2 problems on why the light comes on:
  • Oil Sending Unit
  • Low Oil Pressure

You said that it keeps going on and off? I'm guessing its the oil sending unit going bad due to the on and off.

Low oil pressure is caused by oil pump failure, worn main bearings, oil pump screen clogged and worn rod bearings. All those failures usually indicate poor maintenance on the car.

carden2 said:
if you just bought it you should have what 30-90 day warranty make them fix it.
I agree with this suggestion. You should take it back to the dealer and make them do it for free make sure they don't tamper with it either because most car shops like to fix 1 thing and mess up another and make you keep coming back.
 8 years ago '06        #7
julez456 
space
space
$156 | Props total: 0 0
Some newer cars have a "reminder setting relay" or whatever you wanna call it to remind you its about that time to have your oil changed. Resetting it is different from vehicle to vehicle to but on mine I can turn the key in the ignition to the "on" position (don't turn the car completely on - just turn the key enough to get all the dash lights to come on) and then pump the gas pedal 3 times and on the 3rd time hold it down until the light goes out. This will reset whatever relay it is that's supposed to remind me of oil changes until the car thinks it's time to get another oil change and turn the light back on.

Don't know if this will work with your car but its worth a try. Let me know if it works.
 8 years ago '09        #8
Two Five Design 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
 julez456 said:
Some newer cars have a "reminder setting relay" or whatever you wanna call it to remind you its about that time to have your oil changed. Resetting it is different from vehicle to vehicle to but on mine I can turn the key in the ignition to the "on" position (don't turn the car completely on - just turn the key enough to get all the dash lights to come on) and then pump the gas pedal 3 times and on the 3rd time hold it down until the light goes out. This will reset whatever relay it is that's supposed to remind me of oil changes until the car thinks it's time to get another oil change and turn the light back on.

Don't know if this will work with your car but its worth a try. Let me know if it works.
Good tip, will try tomorrow and report back. If this doesn't work I'm taking it to the shop lol. I just want it fixed.
 8 years ago '04        #9
deziking 79 heat pts79
space
space
$19,538 | Props total: 5128 5128
lk;kl
 8 years ago '07        #10
JoeDoe22 50 heat pts50
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 230 230
 julez456 said:

The oil light and change oil light are two different lights.
 8 years ago '09        #11
Two Five Design 7 heat pts OP
space
space
space
The problem is the light goes on and off a lot
When I turn the car on, it usually doesn't come on till i start driving and I know there's enough oil in it.
 8 years ago '04        #12
franchise 60 heat pts60
space
space
$7,723 | Props total: 169 169
as its been said, it has nothing to do with oil level. its oil pressure, unless ur talking about an oil change reminder light.
 11-19-2009, 12:28 PM         #13
OOps 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Warranty mydude, Send that s**t back n let them replace it. It shouldnt be your issue if they car was just purchased.
 8 years ago '04        #14
nobody 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,270 | Props total: 1037 1037
Should have got the hemi.
 8 years ago '06        #15
Bman409 20 heat pts20
space
space
$20,388 | Props total: 2451 2451
 Two Five Design said:
The problem is the light goes on and off a lot
When I turn the car on, it usually doesn't come on till i start driving and I know there's enough oil in it.
Damn bruh you still aint get this problem sorted out yet? I posted what the problem could be and what would cause the problem. I just re-read the thread over once again and it seems more like low oil pressure as I stated in my previous post.

This little bit of information should give you an idea about what's happening and further problems it could cause:
The oil pressure may be low because of a worn or broken oil pump, a plugged oil pickup screen in the engine's crankcase, possibly a plugged oil filter or excessive bearing wear. Or, the oil pressure may be fine but the oil pressure sending unit has failed. Further diagnosis will be required to determine what's wrong. -
You also stated that you just bought the car which means you must have some sort of warranty on it? Unless you bought it from a private owner? Anyways you can always refer to your car manual as well for information on what the cluster (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, etc. guages).
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
73 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
159 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
71 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
73 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden member addressing PORC & trolling accusations
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy