Paranormal Activity (original ending... article)

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '09        #1
6606 pageviews
32 comments

29 26 6 heat pts
space
space
$11,174 | Props total: 2562 2562
Paranormal Activity (original ending... article)

Kind of a long read, original/alternate endings in the bold(i put spoiler tags on them too, just in case).

Well, congrats are in order to Paramount for slyly marketing its low-budget pick-up, Paranormal Activity, to bona fide box office success with $7.1 million on a mere 159 screens, with a wider release still to come.

But many of the fans savvy enough to seek it out are by now aware that Activity's ending wasn't always as it stands now. In fact, the film runs about ten minutes shorter between its late '07/early '08 festival screenings and its current cut.

So, to answer the questions that I and others fortunate enough to have seen the original version have been fielding, we'll be taking a look at as many differences as we can remember between the two, not to mention the further rumblings of what was different in test screenings for the film.

Naturally, this means spoilers. I know, it says as much right there in the headline, but for the sake of covering our butts, let's make this clear: a spoiler warning for everything post-jump.

There, that ought to do it.

I SAID SPOILERS!

The daytime differences: This is where I felt the film got its biggest improvement. The set-up is brisker and better now, the psychic shows up maybe a bit earlier and thus seems less arbitrary at making the wheels move when we're not in the bedroom, and the couple themselves are friskier and funnier (I'm pretty sure that Micah gets no s3x in the original cut, whereas the camera is set on the nightstand here before being turned off for some hanky-panky). In this version, there are two added scenes, in which Katie's keys are heard thrown around at night and found on the floor the next morning, and an encounter with a broken picture and breath on Katie's neck, taking place in plain daylight and helping to up the ante as to when this entity is willing to mess with them.

In a recent interview with our Peter Hall, director Oren Peli said that they shot nearly 70 hours of footage originally and then went back to re-shoot stuff. I'd bet that any added relationship bits came from the original footage; any extra scares were re-shot scenes. Also: Katie's voice towards the end gets a digital touch-up to sound more possessed when she just wants to sleep all day and insists that everything is going to be okay.

The nighttime differences: I suspect that some of the attacks were shuffled around in order to build more in terms of intensity. Most notable was that the sheet on their bed rising and falling took place around the 70-minute mark now, on the night before Katie gets dragged. I'm fairly certain that bit took place much earlier in the original cut, maybe a half-hour in, but it makes more sense as placed here.

Also: each scene where the demon enters the bedroom is now accompanied by an obviously ominous rumbling on the film's soundtrack, serving as a Pavlovian cue for audiences to stop texting and sit up.

The current ending: Every version of the climax that I've heard about has Micah dashing downstairs after Katie is dragged out of the bed/room, where some sort of off-screen ruckus takes place and only a bloody Katie returns. In this version, Katie tosses Micah's body at the camera from the hallway (a great money shot, I'll admit, albeit one given away in the trailer), kneels down beside his body to either sniff or lick it, and then approaches the camera before smiling and then lunging at the lens. A title card informs us that Micah's body was found on whatever date, and that Katie's whereabouts are still unknown...

A little too Hollywood cliffhanger-y for my tastes, but it plays better on the screen than I'd heard.

The original ending:
[spoiler - click to view]

This one is a bit anti-climactic, yes, but I think it's a bit more tragic that Katie's been tormented all her life, only to face an unwitting death such as this.

The alternate ending(s): Now, several endings were shot after the film was picked up. The only one of those that I've seen described anywhere was screened maybe once at a test screening, and Peli suggests that we may see it yet on the DVD. In this version, Micah dies downstairs, bloody Katie returns to the bedroom with knife in hand, and she proceeds to slit her own throat in front of the camera (without looking right into it).

I personally prefer this one because Micah makes a gesture with a knife in the kitchen very early on, suggesting that whatever the problem is, they'll [slicing motion] take care of it. That might've made for a nice bookend, and would've been disturbing regardless.

*The trailer shows a shot of this as well. That's right -- they used a bit from both endings to promote the film.

[pic - click to view]

So What Was 'Paranormal Activity's Original Ending? - Horror Squad

The alternate ending probably would've been a better fit.image I like the current ending too, it just hurt
[spoiler - click to view]

. Either way.. s**t was:cool-smiley-009:

Last edited by 29 26; 10-16-2009 at 01:33 PM..

32 comments for "Paranormal Activity (original ending... article)"

8 years ago '04        #2
marcchrome 42 heat pts42
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 2405 2405
good post...
 8 years ago '04        #3
CTre 22 heat pts22
space
space
$33,269 | Props total: 2840 2840
I never ever seen the trailer so I was likee wtf wtf! lol
 8 years ago '07        #4
adotboogie 
space
space
$1,790 | Props total: 119 119
I must say movie was good, VERY boring in the beginning but when it gets real, it crazy, was more intriged as to what the spirit was than being scared though, bunch of hoes were damn near crying nin that thing.......
 8 years ago '05        #5
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,052 | Props total: 646 646
the alternate woulda been sick...ppl woulda been s**tting bricks and s**t in the theatre
 8 years ago '09        #6
29 26 6 heat pts OP
space
space
Yea, alternate would've been disturbingly scary.. probably would've made the film so>>scarier. But i'm not mad at the one they decided to go with.
 10-19-2009, 01:46 AM         #7
Hurricane24 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wth does the blacked out s**t say?
 8 years ago '04        #8
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2650 2650
Woulda paid 20 bucks to see the movie with the original ending.
 8 years ago '09        #9
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,669 | Props total: 13145 13145
man the movie was s**t. Boring as hell and the s**t was funny when she got dragged down the hallway. More amusing than scary...
 8 years ago '07        #10
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,775 | Props total: 14588 14588
The alternate endings will be on dvd/blu ray

8 years ago '05        #11
TheT 21 heat pts21
space
space
$16,913 | Props total: 717 717
I would have liked the original ending better.
 8 years ago '06        #12
OakTown2g 80 heat pts80
space
space
space
$644 | Props total: 606 606
You know the dvd is out already! :)
 8 years ago '09        #13
29 26 6 heat pts OP
space
space
yea, just seen the original ending... not too exciting. The 'hollywood' ending was more climatic.
 8 years ago '04        #14
haterade2885 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,780 | Props total: 102 102
at the end of the movie most of the crowd was laughing. everything after her throwing micah at the camera is lame. and the text after the movie saying shes missing or whatever had people dying laughing. so lame.
 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM         #15
tipt420 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Downloading it now... must be a hate it or love it type movie... I read a review that people watchin its original screening left the theatre because it was gettin too creepy. And Spielberg loved it, I dunno what that says but its gotta count for something.

Last edited by tipt420; 10-21-2009 at 07:50 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #16
DERRTY CHYBO 12 heat pts12
space
space
$11,716 | Props total: 787 787
The ending in the theaters was corny. Like dude said everything after her throwing micah was jokes. The alternative ending would've been a much better fit.
 8 years ago '09        #17
29 26 6 heat pts OP
space
space
 tipt420 said:
Downloading it now... must be a hate it or love it type movie... I read a review that people watchin its original screening left the theatre because it was gettin too creppy. And Spielberg loved it, I dunno what that says but its gotta count for something.
I skimmed through the screener and it looks a lot different from the theatrical release. Order of events have changed and it effects the overall pace and timing of the movie. I'd probably wait if for the dvd if I was you.
 8 years ago '05        #18
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,163 | Props total: 957 957
So the original ending, was coo. It got me at times, that s**t when she was drag off the bed and hallway was priceless... It took his a.ss a sec to wake and realize wtf was going on..and footprints was sweet effect too..
 8 years ago '09        #19
Ricky Towel 128 heat pts128
space
space
$15,415 | Props total: 409 409
didnt see it in the theatres, just watched the screener which contains the original ending, and thought it kinda sucked.

i thought the premise was sorta good, with all of those ghost hunting shows they shoulda made it like people investigating a haunting like on those shows but just coulda been better i thought.
 8 years ago '05        #20
HiRolliN 109 heat pts109
space
space
$20,260 | Props total: 2441 2441
i just got done watching the screener and it has the original ending. the sound effects were the scariest part of the movie. other than that its not bad for being a low budget film.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now