Oct 7 - Harry Connick Jr. Blows Up at Blackface Michael Jackson Impersonator

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
95 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
123 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
94 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
282 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #1
6172 pageviews
108 comments

DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,371 | Props total: 4644 4644
Oct 7 - Harry Connick Jr. Blows Up at Blackface Michael Jackson Impersonator

Harry Connick Jr. Blows Up at Blackface Michael Jackson Impersonator

Sarah Ball

[video - click to view]

Asked to appear on the Australian variety hour Hey Hey It's Saturday as a guest judge, Harry Connick Jr. sputters in disbelief when a Jackson 5 impersonation group entirely in blackface appears onstage. He first gives the group a 0 scorecard for the performance while the audience boos; later, at about 4:40 into the clip, Connick launches into an impassioned race-relations lecture explaining why blackface is a bad thing. "If I knew that was going to be a part of the show, I definitely wouldn't have done it," Connick declares on live TV. The host appears genuinely surprised.

source:
[pic - click to view]

Pop Vox : Harry Connick Jr. Blows Up at Blackface Michael Jackson Impersonator

108 comments for "Oct 7 - Harry Connick Jr. Blows Up at Blackface Michael Jackson Impersonator"

10-07-2009, 02:17 PM         #2
Lungs 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
People are going to flip out, but it's a cultural difference

Australians don't realize how deep that history runs for us

yeah, it's stupid -- but they didn't understand how incredibly offensive this is for us
 8 years ago '05        #3
meepos 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,551 | Props total: 26 26
thread title is misleading, in no way did he blow up. But it was a good and professional way of getting the message across by Connick. Although he SHOULD'VE used some aggression and given them an eff u, but that's me.
 8 years ago '05        #4
meepos 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,551 | Props total: 26 26
 Lungs said:
People are going to flip out, but it's a cultural difference

Australians don't realize how deep that history runs for us

yeah, it's stupid -- but they didn't understand how incredibly offensive this is for us
gimme a break, they are well aware. they don't live under a rock.
 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM         #5
billieskeet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Wow, it was funny as to how good that went over. I meant if Connick didn't say anything it would've been alright to do it. And of all ppl it was Harry Connick Jr. to stand up and say something, that's crazy.
 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM         #6
CHRONICLE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It wasn't that serious.
 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM         #7
KingoBling 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
they shouylda had a black person doing mike in white face.
 8 years ago '07        #8
Cartel-Clipz 28 heat pts28
space
space
$29,392 | Props total: 21510 21510
I got a lot of respect for how he handled that
 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM         #9
bigbarcelona 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 meepos said:
gimme a break, they are well aware. they don't live under a rock.

Look, people know the basics of American history..... but it doen't mean that they know every little detail as to what pisses us off or not. People in other countries know that yes the US had slavery and mistreated black people (Even today people outside of the US view America as a place that hates all minorities), but that is as much as everyone outside knows. Do you honestly believe or do you think that they know what those black faces represent in the US??? Honestly they don't and I don't think they had any racist feelings or actions behind it. Just like the African Americans misunderstood that Mexican cartoon that was consider racist a couple of years ago without understanding its history, that same rule applies here too.

Americans also do s**t that pisses people off around the world.... but is it done sometimes in a manner to be racist or hateful? Do you mean to tell me that if you go to Argentina, Cyprus, China or any other nation in the world do you know what pisses them off? Exactly!

Last edited by bigbarcelona; 10-07-2009 at 03:36 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #10
elmonto 
space
space
$5,413 | Props total: 2 2
im glad he decided to say something
 8 years ago '06        #11
SuppaSlick 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,748 | Props total: 1187 1187
He definitely gained points for that :agreement6:
 8 years ago '04        #12
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,215 | Props total: 2114 2114
yeah he handled that good....and the host did too for giving him the chance to talk about it.....show looked stupid as hell though.
 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM         #13
jataylorlfc 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Peterparker said:
everbody who sayin this aint racist man shut tha f**k up..u all are the dumbest mothaf**kas.. we all are pretty much adults..Australia know f**king better..you mothaf**kas are living under a rock if you think ppl from other countries are just that blind to what offends a group of people..Australians have the same forefathers as the Americans forefathers who came from Great Britian..the same americans who murdered the native americans and enslaved africans..were the same mothaf**kas who murdered n k!lled and enslaved the aborigines..Australians are just as racist as white americans..newhere you got white folks and black folks..black ppl are at the bottom of the totem pole..and it is racism there..f**k u stupid f**ks speaking on?? Do you all read books..do you all go outside of this country and travel?? Do you have enough money to buy a passport?? I suggest you do and travel this world..Mexico having that black face know exactly what they were doing.. the Africans or Afro-mexicans are the poorest in the country..n tha government fails to recognize them as actual real citzens of the country...

read a book or get outside ya house s**t..hell u on the internet look up treatment of african descent ppl or ne dark skinned ppl of a country..it aint just in America..it ain start w/ America..wake up stupid
keep showing ur ignorance, do u know how most of the early australians ended up there?

and australia looks like it was filmed in the 70s, even the host's hair looks like it belongs in minstrel times.
 8 years ago '05        #14
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,045 | Props total: 824 824
This is no surprise, Australia BEEN ignorant. You dont remember that racist yout from Australia that used to swarm the boards with that s**t? There is really no excuse in this day and age. The root of it all comes from the same source, I think thats the point Spidey was trying to make. Bamboozled came out 10 years ago and look at the progress smh.
 8 years ago '06        #15
Queenslansder 
space
space
$979 | Props total: 8 8
lol lighten up, it was good natured
the same blokes done the same act 20 yrs ago and won. Its not an issue till an over-sensitive american is on the show

last week they had an act impersonate an aussie singer tacking the p!ss out of him when the singers son was a judge..... no one cared

AMERICAS issues arent AUSTRALIAS issues.
 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM         #16
NGMG 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hate ignorance when people want to claim things are racist. It's so simple to play the victim when it comes to race. If any other race tries dressing up as a black person then they're automatically a.ssumed to be racist. They didn't go out and eat watermelon or anything else that can be said to be stereotypical... They simply painted themselves black and said they were the jackson 5. Yet when a black person dresses up as a white person then its f**king hysterical... Why would it be racist right?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

I guess your right... Thats not the same thing. f**king retards... Wake up. If this was wrong for anything it's because Michael Jackson died so recently. Harry's a good man for standing up for his beliefs though.

Last edited by NGMG; 10-07-2009 at 06:30 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #17
Queenslansder 
space
space
$979 | Props total: 8 8
This is no surprise, Australia BEEN ignorant. You dont remember that racist yout from Australia that used to swarm the boards with that s**t?
and get f**ked we're ignorant, ur comment is helpin ur cause mate....
 8 years ago '05        #18
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,045 | Props total: 824 824
 Queenslansder said:
and get f**ked we're ignorant, ur comment is helpin ur cause mate....
and what is my cause exactly?
 8 years ago '04        #19
smiles 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,291 | Props total: 58 58
 Peterparker said:
everbody who sayin this aint racist man shut tha f**k up..u all are the dumbest mothaf**kas.. we all are pretty much adults..Australia know f**king better..you mothaf**kas are living under a rock if you think ppl from other countries are just that blind to what offends a group of people..Australians have the same forefathers as the Americans forefathers who came from Great Britian..the same americans who murdered the native americans and enslaved africans..were the same mothaf**kas who murdered n k!lled and enslaved the aborigines..Australians are just as racist as white americans..newhere you got white folks and black folks..black ppl are at the bottom of the totem pole..and it is racism there..f**k u stupid f**ks speaking on?? Do you all read books..do you all go outside of this country and travel?? Do you have enough money to buy a passport?? I suggest you do and travel this world..Mexico having that black face know exactly what they were doing.. the Africans or Afro-mexicans are the poorest in the country..n tha government fails to recognize them as actual real citzens of the country...

read a book or get outside ya house s**t..hell u on the internet look up treatment of african descent ppl or ne dark skinned ppl of a country..it aint just in America..it ain start w/ America..wake up stupid
to you and the other guy making 'living under a rock comment', like my man told you up there. YOU donít know s**t about other cultures why do you think they GIVE a s**t about yours? Name for me 1 racially charged term used for Turks in the Balkans, one for Jews in Africa, one for gypsies in Russia? thought so.

aside from Canada and Mexico most Americans couldnít pin a country to its correct continent let alone something as complex as racially sensitive symbols based on historically entrenched occurrences.
 8 years ago '04        #20
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
Australia has its own problems with racism, past and present, but if they don't have the historical context of black face, if they don't know about minstrel shows, they wouldn't understand why this is so offensive. So, this doesn't seem intentionally racist.

Harry Connick Jr. handled it well, he was understandably offended, and he calmly explained why it offended him.

Last edited by HHS; 10-07-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
98 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
64 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy