Oct 6 - Finding a job while having an "ethnic" name

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
126 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #161
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,357 | Props total: 4629 4629
 yungb said:
How many smart Shaquetas do you know?
how many dumb Jennifers do you know?
 8 years ago '05        #162
GaryIn'75 1 heat pts
space
space
$731 | Props total: 10 10
 Zo1987 said:
Why dont parents start giving their children names with meanings instead of stupid ghetto names that dont mean s**t.
Because they don't want to follow the steps of white america. But why should they? Why can't someone name their kid mercedes without getting profiled. So what if white/black person think is ghetto, a ghetto person think its normal. if they have the education or knowledge to do the job, then let them.

WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS TERRORIST

!.) Al Qaeda
2.) White People
 8 years ago '07        #163
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,475 | Props total: 6045 6045
 VerballyAbusive said:
Well, by looking at the current conditions, I can easily say the same thing about Jamaicans or any other form of black race that are descendents of slaves. African Americans are not unique. Hell, you can look at African descendents/former slaves in any part of the world: Brazil, Australia, Haiti, America, and blacks will have similar socio-economic conditions as a whole in those jurisdictions. So if this was your point I think you failed.
jamaica is a s**t hole because it is a 3rd world country. as are most 3rd world countries

the U.S. is the hegemon of the world. one of the most developed countries. opportunities for all. in this day and age AA's segregate themselves into ghettos and don't value education or want to prosper in life. its not the fault of the government. the fault is with self.

so my point stands. you fail. like the majority of your people.
 8 years ago '04        #164
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
$4,465 | Props total: 293 293
 JamcnPrettyboy said:
jamaica is a s**t hole because it is a 3rd world country. as are most 3rd world countries

the U.S. is the hegemon of the world. one of the most developed countries. opportunities for all. in this day and age AA's segregate themselves into ghettos and don't value education or want to prosper in life. its not the fault of the government. the fault is with self.

That's where you're wrong due to your ignorance of AAs. We don't segregate ourselves into ghettos. The white man segregated us and forced us to live in the ghettos during Jim Crow laws. Please do the research. When blacks did try to integrate with whites and find jobs, whites moved away, a phenomenom called "white flight". The government even gave the whites funding to move away from blacks. And when whitey moved, all the jobs moved with them..So now you have all these blacks that were looking for opportunity with nothing but poverty. That's how the hoods started and not much has changed since the 60s...

Some AAs do make it out of these ghettos. My father is a perfect example, born on the southside of Chicago. He was motivated, lied about his age at 17 to enlist in the marines just to make it out of his environment and fought in Vietnam. Many blacks make it out. But it's impossible and ignorant to think that every African American will have the motivation and be psychologically prepared to make it out of the hood when that's what they are familiar with and that's where all their family lives. Also, it's true that a person is a product of their environment. The schools and facilities in the hoods don't prepare people to make it out. I wasn't raised in the hoods but I have a big extended family and 90% of them did. I was real close to them and spend a lot of my teenage years in the hood with them so I've been around all types of situations and have seen both sides.

Lastly, this is a capitalistic society where the strong survive. Many people in the hood don't have the resources or family/social support to make it out.

Last edited by VerballyAbusive; 10-08-2009 at 10:42 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #165
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
 JamcnPrettyboy said:

Also, this article is a perfect example of the many road blocks we face. How is this fault with self? We can't even name our kids what we like without discrimination.
 8 years ago '04        #166
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
 yungb said:
How many smart Shaquetas do you know?
I know a very smart Marqueta that I went to college with. This question is so f**kin ignorant. Since when did a name determine intelligence? So f**king retarded. k!ll yourself.
 8 years ago '06        #167
space
space
 DominicanLou said:
JamacnPrettyBoy has already demonstrated he doesn't think outside the box or peek over the white fence. He is probably more a shell of a person filled with ideas and opinions he can't even claim as his own.

I guess we can say the blacks in Brazil failed, making up a much larger size of the population and still severely underrepresented in government and upper/middle classes. Let's forget how African-Americans are upwardly mobile. We don't see them at all levels of society right? And let's look to the media where they're disproportionately depicted as drug dealers and attorneys. How many strides has the Jamaican made in the dumb American's world? Reggae festivals, dutty wine, and a memorable appearance in 'Belly' that's typical of America's impression of Jamaicans. Yes, thank you Jamaicans.

I don't even have anything against Jamaicans. I'm just saying...it's easy to criticize, ridicule, clown. But, I think your whole perspective of the situation is outdated. I don't believe you, you need more people.
:greetings10:
 8 years ago '07        #168
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
 DominicanLou said:
:greetings10:
lol notice he had nothing to say about your comments
 8 years ago '04        #169
$tackBundle$ 2 heat pts
space
space
$939 | Props total: 137 137
 CHRONICLE said:
The ghetto names are derived from ignorant hoodrats (avg) people who pervert the English language, or adopt exotic words they've heard.

I've observed b**ches create names for their children based on how it sounds; there's no ethnic tradition/convention for developing these names, let alone would some idiotic b**ch understand it.

First of all wtf do you mean avg people??? over half of the population is considered average people! So anyone below the poverty line is ignorant? and second why do females always have to be referred to as b**ches. keep tha labeling on a individual basis, and stop generalizing all average women. And how do you know they had no meaning did you ask them? the name could have been a combination of another loved ones name or anything. To a.ssume is to always make an A** out of you.
 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM         #170
CHRONICLE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 $tackBundle$ said:
First of all wtf do you mean avg people??? over half of the population is considered average people! So anyone below the poverty line is ignorant? and second why do females always have to be referred to as b**ches. keep tha labeling on a individual basis, and stop generalizing all average women. And how do you know they had no meaning did you ask them? the name could have been a combination of another loved ones name or anything. To a.ssume is to always make an A** out of you.
Shut up.
 8 years ago '04        #171
$tackBundle$ 2 heat pts
space
space
 LOONATIK said:
jai bro you've always been a real n*gga but im not with u on this post...maybe its me tho cuz i dont see how u can judge someone by there f**king name lol..theres mad cats in the hood with dumb a.ss names like that but there prolly smart as s**t and very well rounded people...but they obviously dont have the financial stability to leave the hood or wherever there living at and not giving them a chance to be a working class citizen because of a f**kin name is beyond me
Exactly great point. How an the hell can they even begin to get themselves out of the hood when they can't even get a job, cause you wont give him an interview based on his name. Do we see a cycle here people........
 8 years ago '04        #172
$tackBundle$ 2 heat pts
space
space
 CHRONICLE said:
Shut up.
womp womp*:angry16:
 10-09-2009, 08:26 AM         #173
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Evolve now and get control later, I know this s**t is f**ked up, but if you don't play by these rules you'll never make it out. Sure some are lucky, but as you can see the odds are against anyone playing the game.

It's a cold world, but I remember reading this study, a guy called several tenants, disguising his his voice as a Hispanic or Black apartment seekers, and he discovered when he called as a Hispanic or Black, the tenants told him the apartments weren't available (most of the time), but when he disguised his voice as a potential white buyer, the apartments magically appeared.

I think that only works in the cities (the voice scenario) where it's a dog eat dog world, I'm surprised neighborhoods like Harlem still exist, that real estate could be worth a lot more and I know they are trying to buy every person of color out.

The world is tough, but just remember we all go to the same place when we die so none of this bulls**t means anything. Get your money, get out the hood the best way you can.
 8 years ago '09        #174
reborG80 
space
space
$2,853 | Props total: 12 12
man if you qualified you deserve a SHOT YO NAME SHOULDNT MATTER WHO SAID BRAXTON WAS A NORMAL NAME ANYWAY
 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM         #175
Prescott 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I wonder why it's difficult.
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '06        #176
space
space
 Get it Right said:
Evolve now and get control later, I know this s**t is f**ked up, but if you don't play by these rules you'll never make it out. Sure some are lucky, but as you can see the odds are against anyone playing the game.

It's a cold world, but I remember reading this study, a guy called several tenants, disguising his his voice as a Hispanic or Black apartment seekers, and he discovered when he called as a Hispanic or Black, the tenants told him the apartments weren't available (most of the time), but when he disguised his voice as a potential white buyer, the apartments magically appeared.

I think that only works in the cities (the voice scenario) where it's a dog eat dog world, I'm surprised neighborhoods like Harlem still exist, that real estate could be worth a lot more and I know they are trying to buy every person of color out.

The world is tough, but just remember we all go to the same place when we die so none of this bulls**t means anything. Get your money, get out the hood the best way you can.
I'm with you 100%. However i think it's this notion (the part i bolded) that is what's wrong in America. We really believe blacks, latinos, and whites speak differently. And you know what, we do (many of the time) BUT i dont believe its because of soemthing biological. I think it really has to do with our perceptions/expectations of other people and ourselves.

As a black person (and other groups) in this country you are almost "expected" to speak a certain way, like it should be natural for you. if you have generations of people growing up this way they will begin to identify with a certain way of speaking - as if that's how they're supposed to talk. and since everyone is doing the same thing it just reinforces what society as a whole says. i remember as a youth my black peers asking me "why do you talk like a white person?". we all grew up on the same street. in the same s**tty a.ss neighborhood. no one in my family talks like that.

its as if we were all born characters. we should be a clean slate, a clear palette and then we become who are to be as we grow. but in this society before i had a chance to decide for myself it was already decided that i would have an innate ability to play basketball, that i will LOVE fried chicken, that i will be hostile towards white people of upper class, that i will not learn how to swim nor have the desire, and so on. these are extremes but u get the idea.
 8 years ago '04        #177
Mysonne 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,831 | Props total: 2 2
 DominicanLou said:
How many strides has the Jamaican made in the dumb American's world? Reggae festivals, dutty wine, and a memorable appearance in 'Belly' that's typical of America's impression of Jamaicans. Yes, thank you Jamaicans.
Very Funny ...
 8 years ago '04        #178
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
 DominicanLou said:
I'm with you 100%. However i think it's this notion (the part i bolded) that is what's wrong in America. We really believe blacks, latinos, and whites speak differently. And you know what, we do (many of the time) BUT i dont believe its because of soemthing biological. I think it really has to do with our perceptions/expectations of other people and ourselves.
I disagree. Naturally our voices have different tones and connotations. I can easily disguise my voice to match a white persons. That's what I do on the job. But as soon as I leave, i'm all natural again.
 10-09-2009, 06:37 PM         #179
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DominicanLou said:

As a black person (and other groups) in this country you are almost "expected" to speak a certain way, like it should be natural for you. if you have generations of people growing up this way they will begin to identify with a certain way of speaking - as if that's how they're supposed to talk. and since everyone is doing the same thing it just reinforces what society as a whole says. i remember as a youth my black peers asking me "why do you talk like a white person?". we all grew up on the same street. in the same s**tty a.ss neighborhood. no one in my family talks like that.

its as if we were all born characters. we should be a clean slate, a clear palette and then we become who are to be as we grow. but in this society before i had a chance to decide for myself it was already decided that i would have an innate ability to play basketball, that i will LOVE fried chicken, that i will be hostile towards white people of upper class, that i will not learn how to swim nor have the desire, and so on. these are extremes but u get the idea.

I agree with you, especially the "clean slate" part, a person has a right to be molded into the person he/she chooses to be, and they should not be criticized for it, people in the hood will consider you a sell out if you don't speak the same slang, and that's holding a lot of people back (their too busy worrying about what their friends think), you know you can't be a weather man or news reporter if you speak in ebonics.

I think speaking intelligent, being intelligent, and behaving intelligent should all come in the same package, you can't succeed unless you have all three, you can be smart on paper, but if you behave and speak stupidly you're really not showing your intelligent side. But sometimes I sit back and wonder, why do we care so much about language and speech, and race, this whole f**king world could end today.

But the evolution process is taking place, and it doesn't look good for my people, we're not getting jobs, we're filling up the prisons, we're k!lling each other, and when we finally get money we reproduce with whites because we think that's better. Really I don't see my people lasting that long, but at least I'm doing my part.

Last edited by Sam Rothstein; 10-09-2009 at 06:40 PM..
 8 years ago '05        #180
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,729 | Props total: 12514 12514
This is stupid because if they don't want you because your black, when you come in for that interview they not going to want you because your black. s**t is not going to change period. Do you really want to work for a quiet racist employer anyhow?

Seriously, if he's not going to hire you for this simple minded thinking, he's definantly not going to promote a black man once hired, even if you do somehow impress him with an interview.

This is another way of trying to make black people feel more insecure about themselves, with what is percieved as Ghetto or even African names.

It might be true, but I wouldn't let this stop me from naming my kid an African name, if you are meant to have the job you will have it. Period point blank.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago