Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
46 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
230 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
156 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 8 years ago '06        #181
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
 VerballyAbusive said:
I disagree. Naturally our voices have different tones and connotations. I can easily disguise my voice to match a white persons. That's what I do on the job. But as soon as I leave, i'm all natural again.
I respect your opinion but I just don't believe that because I'm black I naturally speak different then a white person. I think it has to more with culture, upbringing, and the perception of oneself. I always rejected the whole "this is the way black people talk" vs. "this is the way white people talk" because where i'm from if you "spoke black" then it meant u were uneducated, stupid, primative. i couldnt understand why if i spoke intelligently it would be perceived as me speaking like a white person. i felt it was another one of those seeds planted years upon years ago to make us feel inferior. intentionally or not, i think it worked. i believe the minute you start putting yourself in categories and labels, you put a limit on your capabilities.

you might hate math because youre black and supposedly we're not good at math. so at an early age you reject it, consciously or subconsciously. you half try because you figure youre not gonna get it anyway. when youre test scores come back it only reaffirms what you thought of yourself, your expectations. you quit before you tried. who knows, you couldve been above average if you put in effort. a lot of people in the ghetto quit before they tried.

again, i know what you mean. i can switch too. i do often depending on who im dealing with. but i dont feel theres a gene in blacks that make us talk a certain way. speech is learned. i have a friend who emigrated from taiwan. she grew up around a bunch of "tasheekas" and "laquans". when i first heard her i pictured a black person. she talks "ghetto". and even her professional voice has a hint of "black" in it. the only reason why is say "black" or "ghetto" in regards to how someone talks is because i know everybody would understand what im talking about. aside from that i believe there's no such thing.

im not a linguist or anything but i dont believe it. a friend from brazil told me if you called any random number in brazil you wouldnt know if the person on the other line was black, brown, white, or japanese. when i go to the Dominican Republic, to my ears everybody sounds the same. black, brown, white, chinese.
 10-10-2009, 06:02 AM         #182
BobbiJo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 VerballyAbusive said:
I disagree. Naturally our voices have different tones and connotations. I can easily disguise my voice to match a white persons. That's what I do on the job. But as soon as I leave, i'm all natural again.
I admire your audacity to a.ssimilate where it is needed, but also remain true to yourself and your cultural heritage....:agreement6:
 8 years ago '05        #183
stanis3k 31 heat pts31
space
space
$4,530 | Props total: 273 273
 SoSassy69 said:
That "Dontravious" name that someone posted, is kinda cool IMO
 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM         #184
MyzLuda86 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
In my opinion, overlooking an individual because their name is "ethnic" is discrimination. The problem is that people are close minded and don't appreciate diversity. Whether your African American, Haitian, Jamaican, White, whatever, we all need to open our minds to other cultures and accept our differences.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
25 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
50 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
62 comments
2 days ago