Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
46 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
230 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
156 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '09        #1
62450 pageviews
21 comments

ill 800 64 heat pts64
space
space
$9,089 | Props total: 269 269
Ray Lewis workout

If the off-season is supposed to be a time when NFL players kick back and relax, nobody told Ray Lewis. At least five days a week from February until the start of training camp, the 33-year-old Baltimore Ravens linebacker puts in a full day at the office. While spending the days at his three-story beachfront home on the Atlantic Ocean may not elicit sympathy from many cubicle dwellers, Lewis keeps his creature comforts to a minimum. If he's not working out in the hot South Florida sun (usually while wearing a 45-pound weight vest), he's in his muggy garage, which remains sparse save for a weight bench and the two dozen dumbbells of varying sizes shelved on the wall.

"I work out every day of my life," Lewis says. "I don't work out for football. It's a lifestyle. We take care of our minds every day. Why not work on your body the same way?"

On this June morning, Lewis is up at 8 a.m., starting his routine with 20 minutes of ab work. He'll knock out five sets of 50 ab rollouts on a custom-made steel ab wheel that he received as a gift from former University of Miami teammate Rohan Marley. Lewis makes a point of doing several sets of ab rollouts before each of his three daily workouts and usually totals between 2,500 and 3,000 a week. That's right--up to 3,000 every week.

"My abs have done great things for me," Lewis says. "I don't have what they call show abs, I have what they call work abs. You see my abs and you'll be like, He work. My abs don't get shallow or hollow. I'm a man! You can look at anyone and be like, Ooh, he got some nice abs, but you can look at the other person and be like, Damn, he work."

Following his first abs session, he'll do a 45-minute hip circuit, which includes a lot of stretching and hard massage with a foam roller. "One of the things that's probably kept me around so long has been my flexibility and what I put in before the workouts," he says, noting that he does yoga at least once a week to stay limber. Once Lewis finishes his circuit, he dons a 45-pound weight vest and heads down to the beach for the technical portion of his morning workout. "I deal with a lot of muscle confusion," he announces before the workout. "Every day we come out, and the body never knows what you're going to do [based on the variety of workouts]." Lewis grabs his all-purpose notebook, which documents every workout he's done since April 2, and lays out his plan for the morning.

[ILLUSTRATIONS OMITTED]

MORNING BEACH WORKOUT

After setting three cones in deep sand at 10, 20, and 30 yards away, Lewis, wearing the weight vest, warms up with 100 jumping jacks and 100 squats.

Still in the vest, Lewis completes the following, taking a 60-second rest between sets and a two-minute break after three total sets.

1) SPRINT TO THE IO-YARD CONE, touch it, sprint back to the start, and back to the cone. That's one set. He'll do five sets.

2) STRAIGHT 20- AND 30-YARD SPRINTS. He'll run a 20, take a minute's rest, and then run a 30. He'll do five sprints at each distance-that's one set.

Lewis follows that with several rounds of plyometric bounds to open up his hips and clear out the lactic acid in preparation for his full-body workout a few hours later. "After you finish that last one, you know you've got that bath coming," laughs Lewis as he submerges himself in the calm, clear 80-degree saltwater following the workout. He's been working out in the sand ever since moving into the house eight years ago. "You've got to come back and challenge yourself every day. The same routines don't work."

Following his first workout, Lewis dives into a large plate of fruit, which includes pineapple, melons, and mangoes. While he doesn't usually eat before the morning routine, he eats small meals during every break in the day, going lighter right before his second workout. Following the fruit plate, he heads upstairs to lie down, catch up on e-mails, and "calm his nerves" before emerging three hours later for his full-body weight workout.

If there's any fatigue remaining from the beach activity, it's not evident by the time Lewis enters his garage. After reciting the Lord's Prayer, Lewis starts blasting the Kirk Franklin gospel track "Melodies From Heaven," as all 250 pounds of him start dancing around the carpeted room, clapping and singing along as he gets ready to kick off his lifting. "When I go into anything, before any game, when I start to work out, I recite the Lord's Prayer," he explains. "You cover yourself. Pain is going to be there. The beauty of understanding how to defeat pain is recognizing that it does exist. The time when I'm really going through it and hurting, [I yell out]

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

'Father, I need you.' And then it's done."

By the end of Lewis's weight workout, he's covered in sweat but still making plans for a third effort several hours later, where he'll put the vest on again and head down to the beach for a 60-minute joE, "1 was never the biggest, I was never the fastest, I was never the strongest," Lewis, who has an image of himself in uniform with the words "Pure Thoroughbred" tattooed on his right calf, admits. "The only bread and butter I had was work. At the end of the day, it's all about hard work. And if you outwork me, you're a hell of a man."

FULL-BODY WORKOUT

(1) INCLINE BENCH PRESS

Starting with 90-pound dumbbells, Lewis does 12 reps of straight presses and then completes 10 in which he rotates his wrist so that the dumbells are positioned vertically rather than horizontally. Taking a minute's break in between, he increases the weight and lowers the reps on the final four sets, doing six reps of both straight and twist presses at 100 pounds for the second set, then going up 10 pounds and down one rep for each of the final three. Following each set, Lewis holds the dumbbells at his side with his arms flat against his body and completes o series of shoulder shrugs. He'll do this after each set of every exercise.

21 comments for "Ray Lewis workout"

8 years ago '09        #2
ill 800 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
[2] FLAT BENCH PRESS

Starting with 100-pound dumbbells, Lewis does another 12 and 10 of straight/twist presses for the first set, followed by six of each at 110 on the next. He decides to push himself further on the final two, lifting his legs off the ground to complete five of each at 120 and 130 pounds.

[3] BENTOVER DUMBBELL ROW

Four sets of 10 reps, starting with 60-pound dumbbells and decreasing five pounds each set.

[4] ARM RAISE [FRONT 8 SIDE]

Two sets of 10 reps for each direction with 60-pound dumbbells.

[5] TRICEPS PRESS/LYING TRICEPS EXTENSION

Three sets of 21 triceps presses and lying triceps extensions. In the first exercise, he picks up the end of a 50-pound dumbbell and presses it above his chest. In the second, he extends his elbows from behind him to raise the weight overhead.

[6] BICEPS CURLS

Two sets of 14 reps at SO and 40 pounds.

[7] CROSS-BODY CURLS

Two sets of 14 reps at 45 and 35 pounds.
 8 years ago '04        #3
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
$18,279 | Props total: 66 66
I bench more than ray lewis.
 09-29-2009, 11:22 PM         #4
westcoastdog 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
**warning do not try this at home**

holys**t every day! that is ridiculous he is the definition of a "beast":agreement6:
 8 years ago '05        #5
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 Lucifer said:
.....are you this stupid?

thats obviously not his max....or even his regular
 09-30-2009, 02:42 AM         #6
mattnesss 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
AHHAH THIS GUY. Let's put you and Ray in a weight room and see who can bench more. stupid
 8 years ago '08        #7
simmons224 
space
space
space
$559 | Props total: 11 11
Thats serious right there! The only pro workout ive seen come even close to that was jerry rice's from back in the day.
 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM         #8
diplo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pain is going to be there. The beauty of understanding how to defeat pain is recognizing that it does exist - The time when I'm really going through it and hurting.
Ray Lewis is the man. Anyone see his game ending tackle against SD?
 8 years ago '04        #9
Kadroan 102 heat pts102
space
space
$33,437 | Props total: 6388 6388
wow! that's a serious workout!
 8 years ago '09        #10
ill 800 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
 Lucifer said:
you bench with dumbells?
i know terrell suggs (ravens de/olb)benches about 470lbs on a straight bar

im doubting that you bench more than a 250lb nfl linebacker though

Last edited by ill 800; 09-30-2009 at 02:23 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #11
$tr3tch 
space
space
$4,260 | Props total: 0 0
Get off his nuts about him benching more. I don't think it was meant to be a serious comment firstly. Obviously Ray benches more than 260 a couple times. Secondly, why would you doubt that 260 is unreachable? You guys get so sour about the smallest things.

Regardless, Ray is a workhorse, this guy is an inspiration to me not just in the gym, but in life. Truly turned his life around, and he's from the UUUUUU!
 8 years ago '07        #12
Chris Cassius 
space
space
$2,124 | Props total: 19 19
 diplo said:
Ray Lewis is the man. Anyone see his game ending tackle against SD?
That play was :agreement6:
 8 years ago '04        #13
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
 ill 800 said:
you bench with dumbells?
i know terrell suggs (ravens de/olb)benches about 470lbs on a straight bar

im doubting that you bench more than a 250lb nfl linebacker though
I do my reps with 110, and 120 for flat bench too. 8 reps with 110, and 6 reps, 2 sets with 120.

I do 315 for 4 reps.

I'm just saying, based off what they wrote. I can do more than that.
 8 years ago '09        #14
ill 800 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
 Lucifer said:
I do my reps with 110, and 120 for flat bench too. 8 reps with 110, and 6 reps, 2 sets with 120.

I do 315 for 4 reps.

I'm just saying, based off what they wrote. I can do more than that.
nice...i need to join a gym. the weights at home and the exercise ball just arent cutting it.

i use the exercise ball for my bench but my dumbells can only hold so much weight. i find myself doing 4 sets of 15 on my "bench press". plus i only have 100 pounds of weight available.

i mean sure i can do some of those lifts such as the bicep curls at the weight he does. im just a beginner. i dunno. the man sure does a lot for one day.

Last edited by ill 800; 09-30-2009 at 09:58 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #15
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
 ill 800 said:
nice...i need to join a gym. the weights at home and the exercise ball just arent cutting it.

i use the exercise ball for my bench but my dumbells can only hold so much weight. i find myself doing 4 sets of 15 on my "bench press". plus i only have 100 pounds of weight available.

i mean sure i can do some of those lifts such as the bicep curls at the weight he does. im just a beginner. i dunno. the man sure does a lot for one day.
Oh, I agree. He's a beast, he probably can bench a lot more than me. He's doing circuit training, which is non-stop lifting for a couple of intervals. Its purely endurance. To do that kind of s**t, in 1 day and have that much energy to lift that heavy is pretty insane.

Man, you dont need to join a gym, f**k that. Go to walmart, buy yourself a olympic bench, for like 200 bucks, then buy the 300 pound olympic weight set for another 100, and you have an entire home gym. You don't need any of those fancy machines.

I have standard plates, that I can fit a good bit on 1 interchangeable dumbbell., I really shouldnt be stacking it like that, because I dont think the dumbbell is designed to handle that much, but it holds. I switch, every other week, one week barbell, 1 week dumbbell.
 8 years ago '09        #16
ill 800 64 heat pts64 OP
space
space
 Lucifer said:
Oh, I agree. He's a beast, he probably can bench a lot more than me. He's doing circuit training, which is non-stop lifting for a couple of intervals. Its purely endurance. To do that kind of s**t, in 1 day and have that much energy to lift that heavy is pretty insane.

Man, you dont need to join a gym, f**k that. Go to walmart, buy yourself a olympic bench, for like 200 bucks, then buy the 300 pound olympic weight set for another 100, and you have an entire home gym. You don't need any of those fancy machines.

I have standard plates, that I can fit a good bit on 1 interchangeable dumbbell., I really shouldnt be stacking it like that, because I dont think the dumbbell is designed to handle that much, but it holds. I switch, every other week, one week barbell, 1 week dumbbell.
i have these clips for my dumbells (cheap set) where you squeeze the two ends together to get them on/off and when i do skull crushers, i have to use the tighter clips (two are flimsy, the other two are tighter for w/e reason) or the damn weights will almost fall off. s**t is kinda scary. it would seriously hurt if all that weight fell on my back/neck. id like to have the dumbells with the screw caps.

i need to buy some more weights (25's) and possible try to find some better clips. id like to have a bench but im limited in space. if i could find something where the bench part folded up i could make it work. id also like the bench to be able to adjust for incline and decline.

it would also be nice to have a elliptical or something. for w/e reason ive been getting shin splints/calf pain when i run. i never had this problem but this year its been bad. i even bought new running shoes but it still seems to be bothering me so im taking it slow. i took off two months and im trying to ease my way back into it. i can always use my heavy bag for cardio but i like to run.

im not a fan of machines either. i feel that dumbells will give you a better work out every time. although i would like something for my lats. i really can only think of one exercise for them (lat pulls) with dumbells
 8 years ago '05        #17
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 $tr3tch said:
Get off his nuts about him benching more. I don't think it was meant to be a serious comment firstly. Obviously Ray benches more than 260 a couple times. Secondly, why would you doubt that 260 is unreachable? You guys get so sour about the smallest things.

Regardless, Ray is a workhorse, this guy is an inspiration to me not just in the gym, but in life. Truly turned his life around, and he's from the UUUUUU!

lmao

and you're on every player from the U's d*ck
 8 years ago '04        #18
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
 ill 800 said:
i have these clips for my dumbells (cheap set) where you squeeze the two ends together to get them on/off and when i do skull crushers, i have to use the tighter clips (two are flimsy, the other two are tighter for w/e reason) or the damn weights will almost fall off. s**t is kinda scary. it would seriously hurt if all that weight fell on my back/neck. id like to have the dumbells with the screw caps.

i need to buy some more weights (25's) and possible try to find some better clips. id like to have a bench but im limited in space. if i could find something where the bench part folded up i could make it work. id also like the bench to be able to adjust for incline and decline.

it would also be nice to have a elliptical or something. for w/e reason ive been getting shin splints/calf pain when i run. i never had this problem but this year its been bad. i even bought new running shoes but it still seems to be bothering me so im taking it slow. i took off two months and im trying to ease my way back into it. i can always use my heavy bag for cardio but i like to run.

im not a fan of machines either. i feel that dumbells will give you a better work out every time. although i would like something for my lats. i really can only think of one exercise for them (lat pulls) with dumbells
Yeah, the screw caps are the ones I have. I feel those are A. the safest, B. most easy to use.

Actually ,the ones that I was looking at is exactly what you need. The bench and rack for the weights are detached. So you can move the bench out the way, to save more space. The purpose of the detachable bench was so the rack can be used as a squat rack, which is pretty awesome. And yeah, the bench would be able to adjust to incline/decline.

They had one this thing I saw.

It's an ENTIRE gym in 1.

For lats, I just do pullups. 3 sets, 10 reps wide, 3 sets, 10 reps, normal, 3 sets, 10 reps, close. It works.
 8 years ago '07        #19
Jeet Kune Do 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,068 | Props total: 1841 1841
f**k you all
 8 years ago '09        #20
29 26 6 heat pts
space
space
$11,173 | Props total: 2558 2558
You gotta put in work if you wanna be the best... just like in anything else in life.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
25 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
50 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Chrome 63 is more secure than ever -- and uses even more memory
11 comments
2 days ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy