The most overated rap album of all time?

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
61 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
269 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
85 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-28-2009, 10:55 PM         #81
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^ u just dont like gangsta rap... cuz lyrically the album is very solid... which songs u skip?
The songs I skip... really I can skip over half the album but there are some that I might skip but don't necessarily mind listening to sometimes....

Those are:

Things Done Changed
Gimme The Loot
Machine Gun Funk
The What
Just Playing
Warning

Skippies:

Ready To Die
Me and my b**ch
Respect
Friend Of Mine

My favorites are:

One More Chance
Juicy
Everyday Strgugles
Big Poppa
Who Shot Ya
Suicidal Thoughts
Unbelievable
 8 years ago '05        #82
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
Life After death (compared to RTD )
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
[insert 2Pac CD not named The 7 Day Theory]
Paid in Full
American Gangster (f**king trash)
Word of Mouf (4th best Luda CD IMO)
 8 years ago '08        #83
The N 467 heat pts467
space
space
$45,556 | Props total: 17213 17213

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

09-28-2009, 11:26 PM         #84
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Trying too hard...
 09-29-2009, 12:23 AM         #85
The Blueprint˛  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eminems disco.
 8 years ago '06        #86
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,982 | Props total: 4008 4008
Every CD in Jay's discography besides BP1 and RD.
 8 years ago '04        #87
Dash420 21 heat pts21
space
space
$14,762 | Props total: 6171 6171
 Storchaveli said:
Every CD in Jay's discography besides BP1 and RD.
lol wow...black album was serious though
 8 years ago '05        #88
2bigz 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$6,003 | Props total: 1428 1428
Life After death was a weak attempt after he released Ready to Die

I think It Was Written is overrated, not Illmatic

and Word of Mouf is Luda's best album.
 09-29-2009, 01:49 AM         #89
SBSUAVE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fiction
 09-29-2009, 02:07 AM         #90
ElMarroAfamado  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
any jay-z album
any lil wayne album

get rich or die trying was great by the way
 8 years ago '06        #91
Supreme7 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,838 | Props total: 1998 1998
i think black album is very overrated

Bp3 > black album
 09-29-2009, 02:14 AM         #92
tumtumstan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think american gangster is underrated
 8 years ago '05        #93
Sub Crazy 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,837 | Props total: 2717 2717
 AlexG1989 said:
The songs I skip... really I can skip over half the album but there are some that I might skip but don't necessarily mind listening to sometimes....

Those are:

Things Done Changed
Gimme The Loot
Machine Gun Funk
The What
Just Playing
Warning

Skippies:

Ready To Die
Me and my b**ch
Respect
Friend Of Mine

My favorites are:

One More Chance
Juicy
Everyday Strgugles
Big Poppa
Who Shot Ya
Suicidal Thoughts
Unbelievable
I agree with you on respect...I never liked that song

Who Shot Ya is not on Ready To Die

How does Gimme The Loot not make it to anyone's favorites? How is eminem show better than ready to die?! n*gga WHAT?!
 8 years ago '07        #94
vikvon 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,925 | Props total: 376 376
 Switchc2390 said:
I agree..there is no indisputable best hip hop album ever..I think Illmatic is easily one of the best ever though.

What isn't cohesive about it? I mean the songs flow just as well as any other album..and they all in general keep similar subject matter. It's the definition of what an album is supposed to be like IMO.

I'm not gonna front like I was chillen out on the block when Illmatic dropped cause I wasn't..hell I was 5 years old. But EVERY older hip hop head I've talked to said that Illmatic had arguably the craziest buzz of any album ever. After Live at the BBQ came out, EVERYBODY was like "Who is this dude?" I mean everybody wanted to know who Nas was and when his album was finally gonna come out..dude was automatically called the next Rakim. When Halftime dropped the streets were going crazy and then they found out Nas' lineup of crazy producers and every hip hop head wanted Illmatic. I'm not gonna say it was a crazy pop breakthrough cause it wasn't..but everyone who was into Hip Hop wanted Illmatic. And I think rappers not wanting to create an album like Illmatic is absurd..maybe immediately after the album dropped but you know how many rappers have sampled Illmatic? I can't even count..

True..mainstream wise more people were checking for Biggie..especially cause he dropped after Nas..but Nas wasn't lost in the mix.

I don't think IWW comes close to Illmatic lyrically. After I'm done writing my article on the album I'll come back to this though..I think a lot of people don't understand some of the language and terminology, and that's why they think it's overrated..lyrically it goes over A LOT of people's heads. I mean I've studied every lyric from that album because I wanted to truly grasp the meaning of every word like I was back in '94.

I agree with this to an extent.

I could not disagree more with this. When Illmatic came out EVERYONE took notice about this s**t cause though some people spoke about the social conscious lifestyle of the ghetto, nobody did it like Nas..even Rakim. Nobody's lyrics put it in a way that no matter where you were in the world you could still relate to that s**t.

I need a new n*gga, for this black cloud to follow
Cause while it's over me it's too dark to see tomorrow

No matter who you are you can relate to that s**t. Nas put a ghetto statement in a way that even people who didn't live in the ghetto could understand. Nobody lyrically put it like Nas did before this album..nobody. Illmatic is virtually one of the last albums we saw of its type..I agree..but it wasn't like Illmatic k!lled the style..I think Illmatic expanded the style to a point where pretty much everybody knew they couldn't match it. And though albums didn't necessarily sound exactly like Illmatic afterwords, you can tell that just about every rap album released after at that time was influenced by Illmatic..and most of the emcees you ask will tell you that.

I agree with this though I don't know about De La Soul is Dead and Amerikka's Most Wanted..(Though I remember somebody who worked for the source said nothing before Illmatic got a 5 so I'm inclined to believe that intead) But an album's impact doesn't necessarily come strictly from just a magazine anyway.

I agree that it's not necessarily the best album ever indisputably, but to me its gotta be one of the best. I agree with your overall message..I just don't really see how people can think IWW is better..but to each his own I guess.
props on your response, a few things I wanna touch on real quick

1) When I say Illmatic isn't cohesive I refer to how it mixes Street conscious life with battle rhymes occasionally. Songs like Ny State of Mind, Life's a b**ch, and One Love aren't similar to Halftime, One Time For Your Mind, and It Ain't Hard to Tell. All classic songs but no linear cohesion imo.

2) It think its fair to say Illmatic had an industry buzz because I don't recall it being that big on the streets. I was 10 when it dropped, and I remember being the only person I personally knew who had the album on tape. I recall seeing one of the music videos but that was it, I don't remember it getting much mainstream appeal at the time. I know the idea of mainstream is skewed today but when you're talking about an albums impact mainstream appeal is a definite factor. Though I will not deny the industry appeal because people recognized Nas as a talented individual and it made some emcee's want to step up their game. The only point I made earlier was that the effects were not immediate, not at least years til after Illmatic dropped because rappers were trying for different things from 95-97.

3) In no way shape or form do I think It Was Written was a better album than Illmatic. I stated that I think it was lyrically better because Nas was trying harder with his lyrics to be impressive. Illmatic wasn't that lyrically superior imo, it was simple to understand but it's rhyme sequence and his flow is what made it impressive. To me lyrically does equal superiority in anyway. When Canibus came out that dude was one of the best lyricists in the game but I couldn't stand to listen thru one of his albums. IWW seems forced and trying to be lyrically impressive and it didn't have the heart or rawness that Illmatic had.

4) The Ghetto lifestyle had been spelled out and painted perfectly imo on Amerikkka's Most Wanted. Every song on that album dealt with an aspect of growing up in that lifestyle and explored it to the fullest imo. Obviously Nas is more lyrical and poetic than Ice Cube but Cube had a rawness and realness to him. To me it was the first complete album about social conscious because it wasn't saddled with the glorification of the gangster lifestyle. I didn't say that Illmatic k!lled that style of rap, I simply stated it was one of the last. After Illmatic came the over glorification of the gangster lifestyle which was seen in the mafioso raps. I take nothing away from Illmatic painting a perfect picture of street life, I just wouldn't say it's the only album that did it the best.

5) I am 100% positive I remember the source raiting albums out of 5 before the 5 mic system came along in 93'. I only remember De La Soul Is Dead and Amerikkka's Most Wanted receiving 5/5 because those were two of my favorite albums and I distinctly recall them getting a 5/5. I'm sure there was other 5/5 albums too, I just don't remember but I'm sure that information can be found somewhere online (and not wikipedia).
 09-29-2009, 07:16 AM         #95
comeback  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AlexG1989 said:
It may be to many, but personally... Be by Common >>>> Ready to Die... the Eminem Show >>>> Ready to Die... There are many albums I consider better than Ready To Die...

Half of it was hot, while some was just unlistenable.. As an overall album I would consider it crap because I have to constantly skip over s**t and the usbject matter hardly deviates from the same old boring I'll k!ll you, and smack and mack hoes bulls**t... Subject matter with substance is the most importamnt thing to me in a rapper. You can be the most lyrical rapper ever, but if you rap about bs, you're still only rapping about bs.... And I don't normally buy bs...
you just said you heard Illmatic about 2 years ago..
 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM         #96
comeback  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tumtumstan said:
i think american gangster is underrated
nobody gives a f**k bout wut u think hoe
 09-29-2009, 07:36 AM         #97
tumtumstan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 comeback said:
nobody gives a f**k bout wut u think hoe
how many aliases do you have wepainters

let me guess your his brother or cousin
 09-29-2009, 07:38 AM         #98
tumtumstan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 comeback said:
at least alex admitted it

when did you hear illmatic

you were like bout 5 when it came out prolly not that
 8 years ago '12        #99
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,986 | Props total: 1251 1251

[pic - click to view]

I mean the s**t is aight, but you got people thinkin' its a classic album, when the only way they could possibly say that is if they just judge it just on the beats, which is about retarded as it gets.
 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM         #100
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 comeback said:
Yeah... I had no idea that I wrote that... I listened to my first Jimi Hendrix album about a month ago also.... I listened to my first Elvis album about 2 months ago.....

so f**king what?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy