The most overated rap album of all time?

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
77 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTensionCord Got Sent To Prison Cause He Post Court Info On IG & His..
34 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #41
cledee23 
space
space
$853 | Props total: 4 4
The Detox, because after it releases it will dissapoint us either way, this is me from the future, :greetings10:
 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM         #42
projectnovelis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fiction

but i could see how younger fans or people new to listening to hip hop might not like it. it does sound very old school at times. but lyrically it stacks up with anything IMO
 8 years ago '05        #43
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,885 | Props total: 8410 8410
illmatic...stillmatic is better
 8 years ago '05        #44
Sub Crazy 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 2725 2725
The Carter

That s**t in my avy (edit 12/8/09: The album was The Blueprint)

All Eyez On Me

Stillmatic

Get Rich Or Die Tryin

Hell Hath No Fury

Last edited by Sub Crazy; 12-08-2009 at 10:35 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #45
cledee23 
space
space
$853 | Props total: 4 4
 StateProperty88 said:
illmatic...stillmatic is better
lyrically Illmatic is way better, Stillmatic is very close though,
 8 years ago '05        #46
Sub Crazy 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 2725 2725
 Skateboard T said:
Why is it in your avy then?
I like the cover, and it's a good album. Overrated does not mean something sucks. Overrated means it gets more praise than is deserved.
 8 years ago '07        #47
vikvon 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,925 | Props total: 376 376
It's only overrated when people call it the greatest album in rap period. I think that's such a narrow sighted statement

Album is classic no doubt, but I don't think it's the greatest. The album isn't cohesive imo, the songs are gritty and raw but they sound more like a collection of singles than an actual album. I can listen to a few songs off that album at a time without feeling compelled to listen to the other songs because there is no linear flow on the album.

The biggest misconception about Illmatic is that it was groundbreaking. People tend to act like it was the Sgt. Pepper's of rap. When Illmatic came out it had buzz and it was influential but not to a noticable degree. When it came out rappers took notice, but there wasn't a lot of Nas wannabe's at the time nor did anyone else try and create their own Illmatic.

The trend at the time was the west coast sound, then Biggie came along and dropped Ready to Die and stole some of that sound and brought it to NY. He didn't bring the g-funk sound but the gangsta lifestyle that was becoming a popular trend thanks to The Chronic and Doggystyle.

Lets be honest here, Illmatic was not his best work lyrically speaking. Overally I would say yes, Illmatic is the better album but in terms of lyrics It Was Written was more lyrically advanced. Just as Biggie was lyrically better on Life After death yet Ready to Die was more raw and remains the overall better album.

Speaking of It Was Written, look at that influence. Instead of NY rappers following Illmatic's trend of social conscious problems in America, they rode the Mafioso rap bandwagon. Mafioso rap was invented by Kool G Rap and Live and Let Die could be the album that is said to have officially started it. Then Only Built 4 Cuban Linx came along and it popularized it to the point where you had every NY rapper rapping about the gambino lifestyle, including Nas.

If anything Illmatic was a final statement in the social conscious lifestyle of the ghetto because primarily after that there was nothing but glorification and celebration over mafia life, crime, and thug life. Illmatic was not the first album to speak about the ghetto lifestyle nor did it showcase a skill of lyricism we had not seen before in Rakim. It was for the most part the death of a style of rap.

One of the saddest overratings of Illmatic comes from the fact that it was the first album to recieve 5 mics from The Source. That is misleading while because it is true, they didn't use the 5 mic rating til around 93' and before that they would rate albums out of 5. There were a few 5/5 albums before Illmatic, I believe De La Soul Is Dead and Amerikkka's Most Wanted both recieved 5/5. Tho personally I've never fully liked The Source due to the fact they ignored a lot of westcoast and southern artists.

To me Illmatic is a great album, an undisputed classic, easily 5 mics but it is not the single greatest rap album ever. It's definitely one of the most overrated because you have a barrage of bandwagon fans who jump on the popular conscientious. Personally I don't feel like there is a single greatest album in hip hop, there have been so many vast styles and influences scattered about on several albums that rating a single one the best seems like cheapening the whole genre.
 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM         #48
ReeferStan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 projectnovelis said:
Fiction

but i could see how younger fans or people new to listening to hip hop might not like it. it does sound very old school at times. but lyrically it stacks up with anything IMO
what he said
 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM         #49
tumtumstan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 vikvon said:
It's only overrated when people call it the greatest album in rap period. I think that's such a narrow sighted statement

Album is classic no doubt, but I don't think it's the greatest. The album isn't cohesive imo, the songs are gritty and raw but they sound more like a collection of singles than an actual album. I can listen to a few songs off that album at a time without feeling compelled to listen to the other songs because there is no linear flow on the album.

The biggest misconception about Illmatic is that it was groundbreaking. People tend to act like it was the Sgt. Pepper's of rap. When Illmatic came out it had buzz and it was influential but not to a noticable degree. When it came out rappers took notice, but there wasn't a lot of Nas wannabe's at the time nor did anyone else try and create their own Illmatic.

The trend at the time was the west coast sound, then Biggie came along and dropped Ready to Die and stole some of that sound and brought it to NY. He didn't bring the g-funk sound but the gangsta lifestyle that was becoming a popular trend thanks to The Chronic and Doggystyle.

Lets be honest here, Illmatic was not his best work lyrically speaking. Overally I would say yes, Illmatic is the better album but in terms of lyrics It Was Written was more lyrically advanced. Just as Biggie was lyrically better on Life After death yet Ready to Die was more raw and remains the overall better album.

Speaking of It Was Written, look at that influence. Instead of NY rappers following Illmatic's trend of social conscious problems in America, they rode the Mafioso rap bandwagon. Mafioso rap was invented by Kool G Rap and Live and Let Die could be the album that is said to have officially started it. Then Only Built 4 Cuban Linx came along and it popularized it to the point where you had every NY rapper rapping about the gambino lifestyle, including Nas.

If anything Illmatic was a final statement in the social conscious lifestyle of the ghetto because primarily after that there was nothing but glorification and celebration over mafia life, crime, and thug life. Illmatic was not the first album to speak about the ghetto lifestyle nor did it showcase a skill of lyricism we had not seen before in Rakim. It was for the most part the death of a style of rap.

One of the saddest overratings of Illmatic comes from the fact that it was the first album to recieve 5 mics from The Source. That is misleading while because it is true, they didn't use the 5 mic rating til around 93' and before that they would rate albums out of 5. There were a few 5/5 albums before Illmatic, I believe De La Soul Is Dead and Amerikkka's Most Wanted both recieved 5/5. Tho personally I've never fully liked The Source due to the fact they ignored a lot of westcoast and southern artists.

To me Illmatic is a great album, an undisputed classic, easily 5 mics but it is not the single greatest rap album ever. It's definitely one of the most overrated because you have a barrage of bandwagon fans who jump on the popular conscientious. Personally I don't feel like there is a single greatest album in hip hop, there have been so many vast styles and influences scattered about on several albums that rating a single one the best seems like cheapening the whole genre.
:applause::agreement6:

/thread
 8 years ago '09        #50
reborG80 
space
space
$2,853 | Props total: 12 12
jay-z vol 3
 8 years ago '06        #51
SHootar 48 heat pts48
space
space
$22,362 | Props total: 1784 1784
that essay failed when dude tried to say it wasn't his best work lyrically. thats preposterous and begs the question are you REALLY breaking down illmatics verses??

and LOL at the thought that life after death is anywhere even CLOSE to ready to die, lyrically...u just wrote a whole essay, in proper english, which i can respect...but your opinion is flawed..
 8 years ago '07        #52
Antbone 
space
space
$3,573 | Props total: 1 1
detox...
 8 years ago '06        #53
Bouncer 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$17,903 | Props total: 1213 1213
 Skateboard T said:
How is Get Rich over rated
There are no skippable songs

What Up Gangsta
Patiently Waiting
Many Men
High All the Time
Heat
If I Can't
Blood Hound
PIMP
Like My Style
Poor Lil Which
Don't Push Me

Y'all be trippin
that's what i'm sayin' ....
 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM         #54
Lungs  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Liquid Swords is horribly overrated

A lot of the songs are garbage

It's by far the worst out of the "classic" Wu CDs

I can't understand dudes who put this in their top 10
 09-28-2009, 09:45 PM         #55
hiphop4ever  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 vikvon said:

exactly my point :agreement6::applause:.. no ones taking anything away from illmatic of course its a classic.. but its def overated tho.. its like a lot of dudes like to jump on the illmatic bandwagon and just say its the greatest rap album of all time and not cause they actually feel that way but because its the more popular thing to say .. its like dudes are scared to have opinions of their own now a days ..
 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM         #56
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Overrated??? nah.... Its as great as its said to be... I don't exactly consider it to be the best rap album I've ever heard, but it is probably 2nd best.....

Ready To Die by Biggie takes the most overrated album title anyday...
 8 years ago '08        #57
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,582 | Props total: 17257 17257
Great Album for the era it came out, if you were not alive then and are listening to it after you will not feel it, but anyways that album set the path for Nasir to be one of the top dogs in the history of the game, many rappers out there wish they had a Illmatic.
 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM         #58
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
False ^^^ I heard Illmatic for the first time 2 or 3 years ago, I love it....
 8 years ago '05        #59
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,983 | Props total: 3266 3266
 vikvon said:
I agree..there is no indisputable best hip hop album ever..I think Illmatic is easily one of the best ever though.

What isn't cohesive about it? I mean the songs flow just as well as any other album..and they all in general keep similar subject matter. It's the definition of what an album is supposed to be like IMO.

I'm not gonna front like I was chillen out on the block when Illmatic dropped cause I wasn't..hell I was 5 years old. But EVERY older hip hop head I've talked to said that Illmatic had arguably the craziest buzz of any album ever. After Live at the BBQ came out, EVERYBODY was like "Who is this dude?" I mean everybody wanted to know who Nas was and when his album was finally gonna come out..dude was automatically called the next Rakim. When Halftime dropped the streets were going crazy and then they found out Nas' lineup of crazy producers and every hip hop head wanted Illmatic. I'm not gonna say it was a crazy pop breakthrough cause it wasn't..but everyone who was into Hip Hop wanted Illmatic. And I think rappers not wanting to create an album like Illmatic is absurd..maybe immediately after the album dropped but you know how many rappers have sampled Illmatic? I can't even count..

True..mainstream wise more people were checking for Biggie..especially cause he dropped after Nas..but Nas wasn't lost in the mix.

I don't think IWW comes close to Illmatic lyrically. After I'm done writing my article on the album I'll come back to this though..I think a lot of people don't understand some of the language and terminology, and that's why they think it's overrated..lyrically it goes over A LOT of people's heads. I mean I've studied every lyric from that album because I wanted to truly grasp the meaning of every word like I was back in '94.

I agree with this to an extent.

I could not disagree more with this. When Illmatic came out EVERYONE took notice about this s**t cause though some people spoke about the social conscious lifestyle of the ghetto, nobody did it like Nas..even Rakim. Nobody's lyrics put it in a way that no matter where you were in the world you could still relate to that s**t.

I need a new n*gga, for this black cloud to follow
Cause while it's over me it's too dark to see tomorrow

No matter who you are you can relate to that s**t. Nas put a ghetto statement in a way that even people who didn't live in the ghetto could understand. Nobody lyrically put it like Nas did before this album..nobody. Illmatic is virtually one of the last albums we saw of its type..I agree..but it wasn't like Illmatic k!lled the style..I think Illmatic expanded the style to a point where pretty much everybody knew they couldn't match it. And though albums didn't necessarily sound exactly like Illmatic afterwords, you can tell that just about every rap album released after at that time was influenced by Illmatic..and most of the emcees you ask will tell you that.

I agree with this though I don't know about De La Soul is Dead and Amerikka's Most Wanted..(Though I remember somebody who worked for the source said nothing before Illmatic got a 5 so I'm inclined to believe that intead) But an album's impact doesn't necessarily come strictly from just a magazine anyway.

I agree that it's not necessarily the best album ever indisputably, but to me its gotta be one of the best. I agree with your overall message..I just don't really see how people can think IWW is better..but to each his own I guess.
 8 years ago '06        #60
DJ Endo 
space
space
$925 | Props total: 68 68
Every Kanye West album has been overrated. Real Talk.

The albums ya'll are mentioning are classics, WTF is wrong with ya'll n*ggaz? If you weren't listening to hip hop in the early 90's then you shouldn't even be posting in this f**king thread because you have NO PERSPECTIVE.

fukk outta here w/ that dumb s**t
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
122 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
88 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
172 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
On the Late Night vol. 17
19 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
49 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy