Roy Jones Jr. vs Bernard Hopkins[4-3-2010][HBO-PPV]

most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
94 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

winner
Bhop by KO 14 41.18%
Bhop by Dec 9 26.47%
Draw 1 2.94%
RJJR by KO 1 2.94%
RJJR by Dec 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #61
STILL.DETOX|m 704 heat pts704 OP
space
space
$11,579 | Props total: 9 9
Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins Media Day Quotes

Roy Jones Jr: Bernard Hopkins is a shark. He’s a bottom feeder. He’s catfish. He’s waiting around for someone to die, then he’ll bight into it. If something is dead, he’ll try to taste it. If something is alive, he doesn’t want any part of it. If something is close to dead he’ll try to eat it.

He wanted to wait until I was done. He didn’t have anywhere else to go and now he thinks he’ll get his revenge and ride out into the sunset. That’s the only way he is looking at it. It won’t be happening that way but that is the plot..

You are going to see the same thing that happened last time. The only difference is you’re going to see him go down this time. I am too young to be messing around with a guy that old…and as cut as I am. He can’t mess with me. I don’t even look like I’m 40 yet and he looks like he’s 52.

He’s a crazy men. That’s just the way he is, but I’m crazy too, just in a smarter way. That’s how I beat him the first time and he knows it.

He’s thinking Roy’s finished and all I’ve got to do is catch him behind the head and I’ve got him. He’s thinking “I’ll try to get inside, rough him up, hurt his shoulder, hurt his hands…try to physically hurt him so he can’t use both his hands on me. The I’ll hit him behind the head and knock him out.” That’s his whole game plan. Take my shoulders out, hurt my elbows and hurt my hands then hit me behind my head to take me out…and that won’t be happening. That’s all he has. He doesn’t have anything else.

It will last until I’m ready turn the lights out. When I hit the switch. FLICK. (singing) Turn out the lights and light a candle (laughing).

Bernard Hopkins Media Day Quotes

"I want it so badly and really I want Roy to be able to remember this beating I am about to give him for making me wait so long. But now the wait is over, I am going old school and back to the days of the Executioner. He delayed it too long but his days are now over, the Governor has spoken and April 3 will be the day."

"My body and spirit still work because I always took the time to rest my body which helps me rejuvenate both physically and mentally.

"I really saw a difference in my career after I fought Oscar de la Hoya and then he gave me the opportunity to be his partner. It wasn't the Tito Trinidad f!ght because they put me down and on the shelf after that f!ght. It was the De La Hoya f!ght that changed everything and if it wasn't for my patience and discipline to weather the storms, I still wouldn't be around.

"I look at Roy's last f!ght as something different. Everyone knows how I feel about the stoppage, but I see it this way. Roy's like a wounded animal which is a dangerous animal. Also if a guy has a chance to redeem himself, he is going to try. It would be especially sweet if he could get it against me too.

"I have to think about how I see the f!ght and also how he sees it. I have to try to think like he thinks, and take a look at both sides.

"Roy really has nothing to lose. That can be the toughest f!ght too when a guy has nothing to lose. And this f!ght is different as Roy would rather lose to anyone else but me. Everything is on the line for both of us.

"I have to go above and beyond. I know I can't lose or win unimpressively. I want to win big and that has been my mindset for the last few f!ghts like Tarver, Pavlik and now this one. I feel that I have to be near perfect to defend my longevity.

# # #

“The Rivals: Hopkins vs. Jones II,” set for Saturday, April 3 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nev., is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Square Ring Promotions and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate and AT&T. The event will be broadcast live on pay-per-view beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

Tickets priced at $750, $500, $300, $200 and $100 are on sale now at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith’s Food and Drug Centers and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also will be available for purchase at or .

The Hopkins vs. Jones II pay-per-view telecast begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and has a suggested retail price of $49.95. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. The main event will begin live immediately following the college basketball semi-finals. For Hopkins vs. Jones II f!ght week updates, log on to .
 8 years ago '04        #63
Grisly 29 heat pts29
space
space
$6,990 | Props total: 1345 1345
 stogz said:
F**k outta here. Talking about the particulars of this f!ght. THIS f!ght SHOULD NOT EVEN HAPPEN!!! That is the particulars! Hop was the only decent f!ghter who was considering taking on RJJ in 1994 (which was the first time they negotiated for a rematch). This was when EVERYONE from U.K. and U.S.A. was turning down RJJ. RJJ wasn't even negotiating his own f!ght back then... HBO was. Roy told HBO that he couldn't get a f!ght and that they (HBO) can put ANYONE in that ring, and he'll f!ght them. All they could get was Bryant Brennen or some dude like that. Mighta been the time he fought Eric Lucas too. Hop told RJJ's people 'NO'. Then when HBO came, he told them 'NO'.

All you need to know about negotiations is that Hop kept turning down RJJ. Turned him down to stay f!ghting nobody at 160. Turned him down later cuz he thought he was worth even more than his career high payday at that point (40%). RJJ got KO'd and he was still willing to f!ght Hop. Hop chose to chase Tarver instead. RJJ then said he'd NEVER f!ght Hopkins... 'NEVER' after that 3rd time Hopkins turned him down. Then RJJ gets KO'd AGAIN... and he's STILL willing to f!ght Hop.... and now, all-of-a-sudden Hop is willing?

Roy never ducked Cal. They never negotiated according to Cal's promoter at the time. Roy paid Calzaghe a compliment, and then people took that compliment as RJJ was ducking. Smh.. if you don't know by now, RJJ says things. Anything that sounds cool, funny, entertaining at the time... he'll say it. I've said that numerous times on this board. However, Hop DID duck Calzaghe.

Don't get this part confused now. Longevity (age) is not a HUGE part of a f!ghter's legacy, i mean in terms of age. Most boxers don't f!ght in they 40s. Beating old, burned-out, passed prime, concussion case RJJ will not add to Hopkins' legacy simply because he is f!ghting in his 40s. If Dawson KO'd RJJ, it wouldn't mean sh*t. Danny Green did it, and it didn't mean sh*t. If Hopkins does it now, after Tarver, after Johnson, after Green... is it supposed to mean something, because Hop is past 40? If Hopkins beats Dawson, Pascal, Diaconu... it's adding to legacy. Beating RJJ now, does not.
LMAO. this dude mad as s**t in every f!ght thread hating on Hopkins hardbody.

B Hop knockin Roy out JUST to p!ss you off haha.
 8 years ago '06        #64
kevkhalee 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,319 | Props total: 120 120
this is goin to decision.
I cant tell just yet who will win.
 8 years ago '06        #65
StudiosConnect' 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,627 | Props total: 0 0
if hopkins couldnt down his last opp may goto dec but roy is a extra heavy underdog. I'm gonna check out the weigh in friday nobody I know would ever consider purchasing this s**t though lol streaming online.

Be nice to see Hopskins win and stop running from chad dawson or face haye since he probably will duck the klitch bros. Bottom line Roy Jones doesn't deserve this f!ght he is a waste of time in boxing.
 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM         #66
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TanstA! said:
damn near 2 decades later we get a rematch... f**k hopkins.
that was roys fault you d*ckhead
 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM         #67
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 davon4204 said:
I don't really care 2 see these 2 f!ght now. They should have fought along time ago win they both were in their prime.
tell em again
 8 years ago '06        #68
STILL.DETOX|m 704 heat pts704 OP
space
space
$11,579 | Props total: 9 9
 Tommy_Bunz said:
that was roys fault you d*ckhead
read the previous pages please
 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM         #69
Motivated 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Fishscale said:
read the previous pages please
I went through the whole thread, don't have to read all of those articles you've posted, I simply remember the video someone posted in here, and roy had the chance wayyy back when to f!ght hopkins, and he didnt want to take it......he didn't want that drama he had to deal with, he was scared, and for all of the ppl in here that's on that mans d*ck right now is really going to be hurt come saturday........really, cus hopkins is going to lay it on his a.ss, B-hop is my top fav f!ghter behind Mayweather currently, it's amazing how that man makes it hard to beat him, you literally have to give your self up just to land punches on him, he makes you f!ght HIS f!ght< no matter who you are, why you think Taylor never recovered?

this f!ght lacked alot of promotion also, this s**t crept up on me, lol I was so focused on the pac clottey/ May Mosley s**t......
 8 years ago '04        #70
Grisly 29 heat pts29
space
space
 Tommy_Bunz said:
I went through the whole thread, don't have to read all of those articles you've posted, I simply remember the video someone posted in here, and roy had the chance wayyy back when to f!ght hopkins, and he didnt want to take it......he didn't want that drama he had to deal with, he was scared, and for all of the ppl in here that's on that mans d*ck right now is really going to be hurt come saturday........really, cus hopkins is going to lay it on his a.ss, B-hop is my top fav f!ghter behind Mayweather currently, it's amazing how that man makes it hard to beat him, you literally have to give your self up just to land punches on him, he makes you f!ght HIS f!ght< no matter who you are, why you think Taylor never recovered?

this f!ght lacked alot of promotion also, this s**t crept up on me, lol I was so focused on the pac clottey/ May Mosley s**t......
actually, it was HOPKINS who turned down the RJJ Rematch.

They negotiated an original 10 million dollar deal for Bernard, but when the contracts came out to get signed, they offered only a 6 million dollar deal.

Bernard denied the f!ght, essentially because he had too much pride to accept a lesser amount then RJJ to f!ght. He wanted a 50/50 deal.

So, ACTUALLY B Hop turned down the f!ght, but i don't blame him, Roy was giving bulls**t offers, one including the biggest ring allowed to be used in an official boxing match and the largest size gloves permitted to be used.
 8 years ago '07        #71
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,073 | Props total: 30401 30401
 Grisly said:
actually, it was HOPKINS who turned down the RJJ Rematch.

They negotiated an original 10 million dollar deal for Bernard, but when the contracts came out to get signed, they offered only a 6 million dollar deal.

Bernard denied the f!ght, essentially because he had too much pride to accept a lesser amount then RJJ to f!ght. He wanted a 50/50 deal.

So, ACTUALLY B Hop turned down the f!ght, but i don't blame him, Roy was giving bulls**t offers, one including the biggest ring allowed to be used in an official boxing match and the largest size gloves permitted to be used.

First off, Bernard was to get $8 million.

Second, all gloves are same weight. There is no such thing as 'bigger gloves'. Back then, i think from 160lbs all the way up to heavyweight used the same size gloves.

Lastly, 18x18 or 24x24, no f!ght has ever been turned down due to ring size. NEVER! I've never even seen those huge european sized rings on this side of the earth before. Not in Mexico, not in America, not in Canada. So if y'all gonna make claims about 'big gloves' and 'big rings' I'm gonna need y'all to tell me what weight the gloves were supposed to be.... and what size the ring was supposed to be. Cause y'all are talking absolute nonsense.
 8 years ago '04        #72
goke11429 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,252 | Props total: 12 12
does anyone have the 24/7 episodes for this
 8 years ago '04        #73
Grisly 29 heat pts29
space
space
 stogz said:

First off, Bernard was to get $8 million.

Second, all gloves are same weight. There is no such thing as 'bigger gloves'. Back then, i think from 160lbs all the way up to heavyweight used the same size gloves.

Lastly, 18x18 or 24x24, no f!ght has ever been turned down due to ring size. NEVER! I've never even seen those huge european sized rings on this side of the earth before. Not in Mexico, not in America, not in Canada. So if y'all gonna make claims about 'big gloves' and 'big rings' I'm gonna need y'all to tell me what weight the gloves were supposed to be.... and what size the ring was supposed to be. Cause y'all are talking absolute nonsense.
i wasn't arguing or stating any opinion.
i simply told you the facts of the bout.

what self-respecting soon to be "legend" would accept a f!ght from Roy Jones Jr., ENTIRELY to his standards, including ring size, gloves, and a sizeable purse difference.....

I could care less either way, because the f!ght is finally happening, but you're out of your retarded little european mind if you think Roy didn't price himself out of this f!ght happening earlier.

Roy was, is, and ALWAYS will be a c*cky, smart a.ss, which he continues to show even though he got knocked out by a nobody in Australia in the first round of his last f!ght, so why is it so hard for you to believe he was purposely pricing himself out of f!ghts to p!ss off Hopkins....

sounds like you're either in his pocket, or on his c*ck.

fast forward to the 3:30 mark. Hopkins discusses the f!ght and turning it down with HBO's Real Sports.

Bernard was offered 6 million.

[video - click to view]

8 years ago '07        #74
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
 Grisly said:
i wasn't arguing or stating any opinion.
i simply told you the facts of the bout.

what self-respecting soon to be "legend" would accept a f!ght from Roy Jones Jr., ENTIRELY to his standards, including ring size, gloves, and a sizeable purse difference.....

I could care less either way, because the f!ght is finally happening, but you're out of your retarded little european mind if you think Roy didn't price himself out of this f!ght happening earlier.

Roy was, is, and ALWAYS will be a c*cky, smart a.ss, which he continues to show even though he got knocked out by a nobody in Australia in the first round of his last f!ght, so why is it so hard for you to believe he was purposely pricing himself out of f!ghts to p!ss off Hopkins....

sounds like you're either in his pocket, or on his c*ck.

fast forward to the 3:30 mark. Hopkins discusses the f!ght and turning it down with HBO's Real Sports.

Bernard was offered 6 million.

So you are stating facts, huh? Just like the 'fact' you state about me being european?

List me all the people RJJ had problems coming to terms with on a contract? I really need you to do that for me. RJJ took a 25/75 split for the Montell Griffin rematch. He also took $0 guaranteed for the Trinidad match. Outside of Hopkins and Dariusz, I've never heard anyone say that RJJ was unfair in negotiations. NEVER!

Hopkins on the other hand, as listed earlier.... RJJ, Adamek, Toney, Calzaghe, former promoters, cornermen, etc, the list goes on so f**king long. So forgive me when I believe all those people's facts and on-the-record statements over yours. On top of that, there is a laundry list of f!ghters that hate how GBP does business. However, I digress, cuz GBP has nothing to do with Hopkins, right?

All parties outside of Hopkins stated that the 40/60 split, amounted to $8 million. None of the outside parties gave a f**k what Hopkins had to pay out of that $8 million to Don King as per whatever 'options' he gave King to be in that tournament. Why the h*ll would Hopkins deserve more that $8 million due to the fact that he signed a deal he didn't like previously with Don King???! How does that make sense??

Last edited by stogz; 03-31-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: and Holyfield (although he didn't complain)
 8 years ago '06        #75
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,789 | Props total: 2286 2286
Bernard Hopkins is going to win this via Unanimous Decision
 8 years ago '04        #76
Grisly 29 heat pts29
space
space
 stogz said:
So you are stating facts, huh? Just like the 'fact' you state about me being european?

List me all the people RJJ had problems coming to terms with on a contract? I really need you to do that for me. RJJ took a 25/75 split for the Montell Griffin rematch. He also took $0 guaranteed for the Trinidad match. Outside of Hopkins and Dariusz, I've never heard anyone say that RJJ was unfair in negotiations. NEVER!

Hopkins on the other hand, as listed earlier.... RJJ, Adamek, Toney, Calzaghe, former promoters, cornermen, etc, the list goes on so f**king long. So forgive me when I believe all those people's facts and on-the-record statements over yours. On top of that, there is a laundry list of f!ghters that hate how GBP does business. However, I digress, cuz GBP has nothing to do with Hopkins, right?

All parties outside of Hopkins stated that the 40/60 split, amounted to $8 million. None of the outside parties gave a f**k what Hopkins had to pay out of that $8 million to Don King as per whatever 'options' he gave King to be in that tournament. Why the h*ll would Hopkins deserve more that $8 million due to the fact that he signed a deal he didn't like previously with Don King???! How does that make sense??
i don't really know who you are or where you came from, nor do i give a f**k, i just see you slobbering all over Calzaghe's c*ck in every thread about him, so i just a.ssumed you were a euro f*g.

My mistake.

and i never said RJJ was historically known for unfair negotiations. don't put words in my mouth. I simply said, in THIS case (which, keep in mind, is DEFINITELY a real rivalry. These two dislike each other very much), i think RJJ was playing mind games as a tactic to anger and unsettle BHop, and had no real aspirations of f!ghting. Not to mention his move to a higher weight class, and then Bernards domination of the Middleweight division to set a title defense record, which Roy never even once attempted to go and take after he made the weight class jump.

Which seems a little strange to me......if you think you're so much better then somebody else, why wouldn't you go back down to the weight class you came up in, to beat this man who is now the title holder, and cut an even pay day to get it done.

Either Roy didn't want to because he didn't want to lose to Hopkins, who OBVIOUSLY was getting better as Roy was declining (if you deny this, you're opinion holds no weight), or he was trying to be nice and let Hopkins eat a little bit in the middleweight division while Roy was doing his thing at his weight.

And judging by the conversations and history between the two, i highly doubt the second option was the reason why. RJJ

Also, since you know so many quoted reliable sources, show me some quotes or videos determining the actual figures Bernard made to be 8 million, cus i haven't seen em.

Regardless, i could care less, because this f!ght is finally happening this weekend.

....and No, i don't care if RJJ is "past his prime"......that only means this beating will be even more fun to watch because RJJ will be defenseless and will get KO'd if he f!ghts anything like his last f!ght.

Look at the legacies of both f!ghters.
RJJ started off incredible, olympian, young promising f!ghter, the whole 9.
Had his run, but lately, has fallen off fairly hard, getting KO'd and beating washed up f!ghters.

BHop.....no olympics, no great amatuer career.....came f!ghting fresh out of the State Penitentiary. Started f!ghting a little later then most f!ghters as well. He's STILL pulling off impressive bouts and wins over young f!ghters at age 45. and has never been ko'd.

who's legacy looks better?
the guy who tried to box longer then he should have, and became a punching bag and a shell of his former champion days, or the old 45 year old man who still f!ghts, still wins, never been knocked out, and still holds champion status..........i know the answer.

You sound like a butthurt RJJ fan who is just upset that now, the tables are turned, and Hopkins is one of the Pound for Pound best f!ghters in the world at age 45, and Roy is getting KO'd against nobodies.

Last edited by Grisly; 03-31-2010 at 02:09 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #77
kevkhalee 1 heat pts
space
space
 Grisly said:
i don't really know who you are or where you came from, nor do i give a f**k, i just see you slobbering all over Calzaghe's c*ck in every thread about him, so i just a.ssumed you were a euro f*g.

My mistake.
the most backkhanded apology i've seen in a long time.
:jay:
 8 years ago '06        #78
kevkhalee 1 heat pts
space
space
honestly i think RJj was gonna beat Calfaggy if it wasnt for getting cut.
And Rjj could have beaten Danny Green if the Ref wasnt a piece of s**t.
 8 years ago '07        #79
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
 Grisly said:

My mistake.
Admission that you don't know sh*t, that is a good start. Can't stand ignorant people who spout off about sh*t they know nothing about.

Grisly said:
and i never said RJJ was historically known for unfair negotiations. don't put words in my mouth. I simply said, in THIS case (which, keep in mind, is DEFINITELY a real rivalry. These two dislike each other very much), i think RJJ was playing mind games as a tactic to anger and unsettle BHop, and had no real aspirations of f!ghting. Not to mention his move to a higher weight class, and then Bernards domination of the Middleweight division to set a title defense record, which Roy never even once attempted to go and take after he made the weight class jump.
This probably has to be the stupidest thing anyone has said in this entire thread. Even other morons besides you that are disagreeing with me couldn't possibly agree with this. Since when the f**k do f!ghters move up in weight, only to go back down, to beat someone they had already beaten???! Especially if you are successful at the higher weight!?

You are f**king RIDICULOUS!!!

All the times you hear of f!ghters being weak because they had to drop so much weight, to make a f!ght at a weight class they shouldn't be in... and you disregard all that and think that it was Roy's duty to lose 15lbs of muscle to f!ght Hopkins???! Jes*s Chr*st!

If nothing else in this thread did previously, then... that paragraph proved you don't know a damn thing at boxing, PERIOD!

Grisly said:
Which seems a little strange to me......if you think you're so much better then somebody else, why wouldn't you go back down to the weight class you came up in, to beat this man who is now the title holder, and cut an even pay day to get it done.
^^^ Whoops! This paragraph is the single dumbest thing I've read in any boxing related thread on the internet. You are the Sarah Palin of this thread.

I can't even respond to you anymore after this. You are not qualified to talk boxing with me, or anyone else.

Just for the record. RJJ fought Hopkins in 1993. In 1994 He fought James Toney. I believe he was at 175 in 1997.

He bolted for James Toney, who was the #1 P4P guy in the sport, in a higher weight division just one year after beating Hopkins. RJJ offered Hopkins a rematch in 1995 (maybe 1996), Hopkins turned it down. HBO came back on RJJ's behalf and offered Hopkins the RJJ rematch, Hopkins declined. Those two offers (essentially the same offer by two different parties) were for the Super Middleweight championship of the world. Now, somehow because Hopkins made a name for himself at middleweight by beating no stand-out, credible middleweights over the span of 8yrs, RJJ was supposed to come back 15lbs to prove he could be the middleweight champ (which he had already done 8yrs ago)??? Even Hopkins senile a.ss wasn't asking for RJJ to come back down to 160. Hopkins dumbass was asking for RJJ to split the difference between 160 and 168 (despite the fact that RJJ wasn't even f!ghting at 168).

Also, why didn't Hopkins go back down to 160 and f!ght Pavlik then? I mean, Pavlik beat Taylor twice, easily. That's the dude that beat Hopkins twice. Why not go prove himself back at 160? If that's the way it works... why did he make Pavlik come up to 170? Please don't answer, I don't wanna hear it... you are a moron.

How someone runs away from Hopkins, straight into Toney... I don't even understand your logic. That's like running away from a dude with a knife, into a guy with a gun.
 8 years ago '07        #80
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
 kevkhalee said:
honestly i think RJj was gonna beat Calfaggy if it wasnt for getting cut.
And Rjj could have beaten Danny Green if the Ref wasnt a piece of s**t.

Your young, but you alright with me... you are a true boxing fan, i respect that.
  1. RJJ didn't lose to Cal because of a cut. He lost because he is shot. He has no lateral movent anymore and he sees the punches coming but a full second too late. He is basically a sitting duck. Not only that, bet, he has no punch resistance anymore.
  2. The reason he lost to Danny Green, see #1

...and this isn't new.
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
81 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
41 comments
19 hours ago