Sep 4 - Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #1
16113 pageviews
306 comments

RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,045 | Props total: 18807 18807
Sep 4 - Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried

If you are a black woman with an advanced degree, there's a good chance you've never been married.

New research from Yale University suggests that highly educated black women are twice as likely to have never been married by the age of 45 as white women with similar education.

Hannah Bruckner, who leads the Center for Research on Inequalities and the Life Course at Yale University, says the disparity can be partly explained by a difference in dating preferences between some black men and women.

"Black men are more likely to marry outside of their race, and black women are more likely to marry outside of their education," she says.

Bruckner says that is compounded by tough competition for a smaller pool of highly educated black men.

Finding 'Mr. Right'

Kimberly Hill, 37, agrees that the market is slim. But Hill, who has a master's degree and heads up a political consulting firm in Detroit, says black women may need to redefine their ideal partner.

"I believe there are a lot of prospects," Hill says. "Perhaps we need to change what we're looking for."

Hill says she is searching for a man with more than a degree. "I'm not only looking for someone who has attained a great level of achievement, but also someone who is spiritually grounded."

Niambi Carter, 31, has a Ph.D. and is an a.ssistant professor of political science at Purdue University, admits that she has been hard-pressed to find a black mate with a similar level of education.

But she says it may be just as hard to find an interested man who is not black.

"Black women are not seen as marriageable by those outside of their race," she says. "We are not seen as adding status."

Carter says a persistent double standard adds to the challenge: Women are penalized for waiting to get married, while men are rewarded for their patience.

"Men tend to become 'distinguished' as they get older," Carter says. "Women just get old."

A Question Of Priorities?

Both Hill and Carter agree that finding a compatible partner is only part of the problem. They argue that black women are often encouraged to choose advanced education, but sometimes at the expense of personal relationships.

Carter recalls that when she decided to go to graduate school at age 21, marriage was not on her horizon.

"I thought either you do school or you do marriage ... but never thought of them as being able to co-exist," she says.

Hill takes it a step further. She points to a sense of obligation felt by many black women to break socioeconomic barriers that have hindered their predecessors. That pursuit, she says, can overshadow other goals.

"We may have become distracted," Hill says.

[pic - click to view]

Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried : NPR

306 comments for "Sep 4 - Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried"

8 years ago '07        #2
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
b

o

o

h

o

o
 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM         #3
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i still like all women. i still put black women #1 on the list tho.
 8 years ago '05        #4
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
Marry a white dude?

I'm serious, why the f**k they crying cuz some black dudes don't like other black women.
 8 years ago '07        #5
KeepinItTrill 30 heat pts30
space
space
$49,200 | Props total: 15029 15029
don't think it has anything to do with their ethnicity

alotta these business women carry attitudes that make them unattractive to men because if they make more money than you or have a higher title than you they like to rub that into their partner's face all the time. Who'd wanna deal with that s**t seriously?
 8 years ago '05        #6
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
True, I've seen it happen.
 8 years ago '04        #7
lilsnatch770|M 101 heat pts101
space
space
$31,889 | Props total: 2001 2001
 KeepinItTrill said:

alotta these business women carry attitudes that make them unattractive to men because if they make more money than you or have a higher title than you they like to rub that into their partner's face all the time. Who'd wanna deal with that s**t seriously?

Sounds about right.......
 8 years ago '07        #8
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
 KeepinItTrill said:

and them same chicks will never believe this truth just said...real talk sir
 09-05-2009, 04:04 AM         #9
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KeepinItTrill said:

exactly this research is bulls**t, there are just as many successful black men with masters degrees and Ph.Ds as black women. If that wasnt the case why is it that many law schools need more black women than black men in their law programs?? We all have come in contact with numerous black male doctors also. Black male engineers? Black guys with masters degrees period is common. I hate how the media acts as if 90% of black men are locked up and are uneducated, there are plenty black men in this country doing well for themselves but these women are just to DAMN picky, making them less attractive to guys of other races. They want a black guy with a very high education level (fine) but then they want him to be wealthy, tall (6'1 and taller), and look like a model in the face. Im sorry black American women have unrealistic standards and that is why they are not getting married. Im pretty sure that black women in other countries are not having this problem at all with finding black guys as a mate.

Last edited by Zo1987; 09-05-2009 at 04:06 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #10
l0udm0uf 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,678 | Props total: 3 3
i hope women can see the responses to this bs thread and change their attitude.

lmao like successful women are readin the bx bugle
 8 years ago '04        #11
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
 KeepinItTrill said:

Exactly...

I've got no problem with them being successful, but in order to get ahead in the business world as a black women, they have to develop that cut throat "I don't need anyone but myself" attitude that most Black Men can't/won't put up with.
 09-05-2009, 07:49 AM         #12
dieseltheprofit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This article is so misleading but the truth is sad. Often these highly educated women don't want a highly educated black man until they reach that status. The women viewed these "nerd" guys as unattractive and they almost exclusively date "hood" dudes UNTIL they get some status themselves. I guess they want the educated brothers to sit on the sidelines waiting for them, GET THE BLEEP OUTTA HERE!!
 8 years ago '07        #13
nwadei 34 heat pts34
space
space
$4,394 | Props total: 1 1
 KeepinItTrill said:

And some of them still carry their "groupie" mindset from college and highschool. They would rather share 1 man with 20 other black women, than date a REAL good black man (which they have been rejecting for most of their life)
 09-05-2009, 08:26 AM         #14
Atlanta 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KeepinItTrill said:

[Sam Jackson Voice] CORRECTAMUNDO! [Sam Jackson Voice]

I see this already with females I'm in class with...this "Independent Woman" trend is becoming more overcompensation than actual self confidence

a b**ch tried 2 throw the fact the she has a high grade in the class at me when I tried talkin to her....thinkin I was tryin 2 get her digits

I had 2 tell the hoe 1) I've got a girl nd 2 ) I've got a 100% average in here..ur B ain't s**t

girl was lookin at me like I crushed her childhood dreams or somethin
 8 years ago '06        #15
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,218 | Props total: 758 758
 dieseltheprofit said:
This article is so misleading but the truth is sad. Often these highly educated women don't want a highly educated black man until they reach that status. The women viewed these "nerd" guys as unattractive and they almost exclusively date "hood" dudes UNTIL they get some status themselves. I guess they want the educated brothers to sit on the sidelines waiting for them, GET THE BLEEP OUTTA HERE!!
this too...and the thing is the decent black man whose worked hard all his life and was treated like a nerd or second class citizen to these women are NOT going to play superman and save you and pick up some n*gga who ain't about s**ts sloppy seconds...black women need to get they're s**t together or else this s**t will continue to happen
 8 years ago '08        #16
DooM 66 heat pts66
space
space
$28,001 | Props total: 19904 19904
Nerds...FTW
 8 years ago '04        #17
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,859 | Props total: 17349 17349
 KeepinItTrill said:

:applause::applause:
 09-05-2009, 09:57 AM         #18
Old Man Quillis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dieseltheprofit said:
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
 8 years ago '08        #19
fit2bboss 8 heat pts
space
space
$5,604 | Props total: 1320 1320
thats goes for other successful women in general too...its true that these women when they were young turned down potential soulmate because theyre not thuggish enough for them...but wud rather go and ride or die for a thug...and when they turn 40 they wonder why no men has ever propose to them...the truth can be soo stupid and twisted sometimes its not even funny..and the nerdy guys they rejected 20yrs ago either has a model type gf or its happily married with a wife that can cook...btw thats a plus in my book..

Last edited by fit2bboss; 09-05-2009 at 11:54 AM..
 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM         #20
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dieseltheprofit said:

nwadei said:
And some of them still carry their "groupie" mindset from college and highschool. They would rather share 1 man with 20 other black women, than date a REAL good black man (which they have been rejecting for most of their life)

fit2bboss said:
thats goes for other successful women in general too...its true that these women when they were young turned down potential soulmate because theyre not thuggish enough for them...but wud rather go and ride or die for a thug...and when they turn 40 they wonder why no men has ever propose to them...the truth can be soo stupid and twisted sometimes its not even funny..and the nerdy guys they rejected 20yrs ago either has a model type gf or its happily married with a wife that can cook...btw thats a plus in my book..

:applause::applause::agreement6::agreement6::appla use::applause:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc