My review of "Inglourious Basterds"

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
93 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
274 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '09        #101
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,472 | Props total: 11356 11356
Tarantino >>> Kubrick

had an arguement before on this, i didnt really know kubrick, got schooled up on him and from what i was told, kubrick wrote his own s**t, but credits show false, either way tarantino to me is still better, clockwork orange was genious and so was full metal but the shining to me is overrated, all in all, i think kubrick lovers are gettin a lil fed up wit this tarantino guy who seems to be gettin praised for his movies alot
 8 years ago '05        #102
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782
 TDH Music said:
Man u gotta use ya head for more than a grease trap. Common sense aint that expensive, u should get some.
 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM         #103
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
The Shining as a book is FAR FAR superior to the film, which I love. And so is A Clockwork Orange.

Kubrick as a director is genius. I can acknowledge that. But, his films, to me, are not entertaining... The only ones that I feel are fully entertaining is "The Shining" and "Dr. Strangelove". Films are entertainment. Quentin aims to entertain.

And, about your other point about the 'messages' in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs... what messages would you be speaking of? "don't shoot people in the head in a car".... or "don't let your date OD on your drugs"... or the ever classic "UNDERCOVER COP STORY"... OOOOH!!!! HOW DEEP.

Sorry bruh, but when your writing is the most imitated and copied in the 20th and 21st century, how in the hell can you not call that good writing? Kubrick is a genius director, but get off his nuts. besides... Hitchcock was better anyway.
Coming from a guy who calls this movie a classic, a horrible boring joke attempt at recreating history. That is your opinion but I can't think of any other Tarantino movies that didn't bore me outside his first 2. Again he had 2 quality scripts but that is all and no Hitch isn't a better director, he had less input in his films and made more quantity than quality of films, your really exposing your knowledge outside of 90's+ cinema and I would stick to the Quentin reviews buddy.

Most copied writing of the 20th century, have you heard of Orson Welles, Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa (material has been stolen by Quentin), Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini etc. No need to mention Kubrick in this conversation, making cheesy rip offs of samurai's and westerns with tough guy dialogue doesn't make you more influencial or talented than the many guys I have listed in 1900's. Go back to film school man your being blinded by one mans work.
 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM         #104
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UrbanEnterprise said:
Tarantino >>> Kubrick

had an arguement before on this, i didnt really know kubrick, got schooled up on him and from what i was told, kubrick wrote his own s**t, but credits show false, either way tarantino to me is still better, clockwork orange was genious and so was full metal but the shining to me is overrated, all in all, i think kubrick lovers are gettin a lil fed up wit this tarantino guy who seems to be gettin praised for his movies alot
I need a better argument than "I just watched 3 of his movies and one was overrated"

Start by watching the filmography of both directors first.
 8 years ago '08        #105
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,663 | Props total: 2243 2243
 smokeweed101. said:
Tarantino is in no way as good of a writer, his scripts have been trash since Pulp Fiction, so last 20 years? No way in hell, Kubrick wrote A Clockwork Orange, Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Paths of Glory, Dr Strangelove, Lolita, 2001, should I go on? All better than pretty much 90% of Tarantino's catalog.

If you want to say Tarantino is a better writer than Kubrick, when he isn't even top 10, at least make a serious argument, Kubrick, Wilder, Welles, Kurosawa, and even Leone s**t on Tarantino in writing kid.

Also I have and read The Shining and Clockwork Orange book, the latter is pne of my faves but Kubrick's version is superior than both novels imo.
Everything he`s done since Pulp has been trash? Everything?! lol ok, If you say so... Kubrick didn`t come up with anything original, all those movies you listed were previously books. Yeah he`s the greatest visionary ever, no one is doubting that, but he isn`t neccsarily a superior writer.

And ya`ll act like everyting done in old Hollywood can`t possibly be trumped. QT not top 10? Yeah I gues that`s why soooooo many young film heads have been trying to dupilicate him since 'Dogs...
 8 years ago '09        #106
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,472 | Props total: 11356 11356
 smokeweed101. said:
I need a better argument than "I just watched 3 of his movies and one was overrated"

Start by watching the filmography of both directors first.
obviously i cant change your mind and u cant change mine, we both had that arguement before, i think tarantino makes better entertainin movies than kubrick, u think different, lets leave it at that. ok 1 more movie eyes wide shut was trash really
 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM         #107
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 904Nole said:
Everything he`s done since Pulp has been trash? Everything?! lol ok, If you say so... Kubrick didn`t come up with anything original, all those movies you listed were previously books. Yeah he`s the greatest visionary ever, no one is doubting that, but he isn`t neccsarily a superior writer.

And ya`ll act like everyting done in old Hollywood can`t possibly be trumped. QT not top 10? Yeah I gues that`s why soooooo many young film heads have been trying to dupilicate him since 'Dogs...
Do you want to me to list more directors? I can list 20-30 better than Tarantino, of course anything can be surpassed, but Quentin isn't even better than the Coen bros or Scorsese and others still around so to put him top 10 in over a century of film making is hilarious regardless what some young person says (like their opinion matters with all this Dark Knight Transformers s**t).

I won't argue with Kubrick because to me, adapting a novel and adding to it is more respectable than copying scenes from already established films ala Tarantino's career. Until he makes a film without copying a samurai or western your argument is void, 2001 is still an original work and more polished than anything made in the last 19 years (Tarantino's whole filmography obviously included)

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 09-03-2009 at 08:50 AM..
 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM         #108
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 UrbanEnterprise said:
obviously i cant change your mind and u cant change mine, we both had that arguement before, i think tarantino makes better entertainin movies than kubrick, u think different, lets leave it at that. ok 1 more movie eyes wide shut was trash really
I agree I will never see Tarantino on a top 20 level with what has already been established in cinema, nor will I ever see him in the light of a legend, but I felt a good debate was needed since an insecure Tarantino supporter brought him up out of nowhere to justify this s**tty movie.

True I feel Tarantino's movies are horribly boring last 13 years as well, I just felt the need to point out Kubrick downside (which is still a great time in his career) was after the Shining or really the 80's and 90's which Boxden knows most about, I rather here an argument comparing the prime of both directors (Kubrick 50's-80's) and i'm a movie fanatic so I feel it is the only way to have a serious discussion ruling out bias and favoritism towards modern cinema as seen on here, if Kubrick was around today I feel you guys would have different opinions but whatever.

Tarantino will never be on that level as far as im concerned.
 8 years ago '05        #109
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
$13,838 | Props total: 4125 4125
 smokeweed101. said:
Coming from a guy who calls this movie a classic, a horrible boring joke attempt at recreating history. That is your opinion but I can't think of any other Tarantino movies that didn't bore me outside his first 2. Again he had 2 quality scripts but that is all and no Hitch isn't a better director, he had less input in his films and made more quantity than quality of films, your really exposing your knowledge outside of 90's+ cinema and I would stick to the Quentin reviews buddy.

Most copied writing of the 20th century, have you heard of Orson Welles, Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa (material has been stolen by Quentin), Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini etc. No need to mention Kubrick in this conversation, making cheesy rip offs of samurai's and westerns with tough guy dialogue doesn't make you more influencial or talented than the many guys I have listed in 1900's. Go back to film school man your being blinded by one mans work.
Yes, I have heard of all those folks. And, all of those folks have been copied too. but, when Pulp fiction came out, it created a new type of dialogue and just overall language of film. These guys created new stuff, but it as copied by EVERYBODY. And, when Tarantino came out, it literally changed what had been done before. Orson Welles, as far as I'm concerned, was the Tarantino of his era. Touch of Evil was something that folks haven't seen before.

And, yes Hitchcock is a better writer/director than Kubrick. Kubrick was so in love with the language of film itself, he forgot to do one thing: ENTERTAIN. Hitchcock created many classics that used film as a language to create suspense, horror, and other emotions. Hitchcock knew what the f*ck he was doing. That's why he is, in my opinion, an overall better director who created more watchable films.

Dude, you aren't gonna convince me otherwise. I love this film. You don't. It's as simple as that. I'm done explaining my position on it, because apparently you keep repeating points (like "He's stealing material!!!!"... Even though a billion other directors stole from those sources too, but you need to discredit Tarantino, so never mind them!!!).
 8 years ago '08        #110
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,663 | Props total: 2243 2243
 DaOmega_1 said:
Yes, I have heard of all those folks. And, all of those folks have been copied too. but, when Pulp fiction came out, it created a new type of dialogue and just overall language of film. These guys created new stuff, but it as copied by EVERYBODY. And, when Tarantino came out, it literally changed what had been done before. Orson Welles, as far as I'm concerned, was the Tarantino of his era. Touch of Evil was something that folks haven't seen before.

And, yes Hitchcock is a better writer/director than Kubrick. Kubrick was so in love with the language of film itself, he forgot to do one thing: ENTERTAIN. Hitchcock created many classics that used film as a language to create suspense, horror, and other emotions. Hitchcock knew what the f*ck he was doing. That's why he is, in my opinion, an overall better director who created more watchable films.

Dude, you aren't gonna convince me otherwise. I love this film. You don't. It's as simple as that. I'm done explaining my position on it, because apparently you keep repeating points (like "He's stealing material!!!!"... Even though a billion other directors stole from those sources too, but you need to discredit Tarantino, so never mind them!!!).
Right on
 8 years ago '05        #111
ghost213 31 heat pts31
space
space
$2,520 | Props total: 745 745
To me this file was boring as hell, waste of time
 09-06-2009, 03:44 PM         #112
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:

Tarantino isn't on par with Welles, he doesn't have the talent to write original scripts that stand on their own, regardless what you want to think. Hitchcock doesn't write so your opinion is null given the fact you expose your lack of film knowledge with a silly comment like that, like I said open up your eyes the Coen brothers are more revolutionary to the 90's than Tarantino could ever wish.

Also the "cold and lack of emotion" argument has been tiring, his movies don't bring the emotions out in you but that is a dry argument as his movies are not supposed to be emotional or "fun and entertaining" the entertainment is in the pure genius that has never been captured on camera, the fine acting, powerful scripts, dark humor and atmosphere. It might be an acquired taste but there is nothing to acquire from a Tarantino film. (The dialogue in Pulp Fiction can easily be seen in a prior Scorsese or Jean Pierre Melville film who Tarantino stole material from might I add bias film student.)

You continue to lose credit by discrediting the guys who made cinema what it is.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 09-06-2009 at 03:54 PM..
 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM         #113
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ghost213 said:
To me this file was boring as hell, waste of time
I completely agree, a movie being "cool" to teenagers isn't good enough, it has no backbone.
 8 years ago '05        #114
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
Tarantino isn't on par with Welles, he doesn't have the talent to write original scripts that stand on their own, regardless what you want to think. Hitchcock doesn't write so your opinion is null given the fact you expose your lack of film knowledge with a silly comment like that, like I said open up your eyes the Coen brothers are more revolutionary to the 90's than Tarantino could ever wish.

Also the "cold and lack of emotion" argument has been tiring, his movies don't bring the emotions out in you but that is a dry argument as his movies are not supposed to be emotional or "fun and entertaining" the entertainment is in the pure genius that has never been captured on camera, the fine acting, powerful scripts, dark humor and atmosphere. It might be an acquired taste but there is nothing to acquire from a Tarantino film. (The dialogue in Pulp Fiction can easily be seen in a prior Scorsese or Jean Pierre Melville film who Tarantino stole material from might I add bias film student.)

You continue to lose credit by discrediting the guys who made cinema what it is.
The guys who made cinema what it is? Please.... The people who make cinema are the audiences... Without audiences, film wouldn't exist. It's not enough to please film elitists who don't know how to enjoy a f*ckin film.

I never said that Tarantino was as good as Welles, you're adding a point that I did not even so much as allude to.

Fine acting? Powerful scripts? Not every movie has to be "The Godfather". Entertainment is more than just 'getting things correct'. Film is too big of a topic for you to just lump in a couple of elements to decide what 'good' is.

And as for the Hitchcock thing...

"The writer and I plan out the entire script down to the smallest detail, and when we're finished all that's left to do is to shoot the film. Actually, it's only when one enters the studio that one enters the area of compromise. Really, the novelist has the best casting since he doesn't have to cope with the actors and all the rest."
-Alfred Hitchcock
So... that's not writing?
 8 years ago '05        #115
space
space
And, you can keep faulting Tarantino for his reference points, but every single director ON THE PLANET has used those...

Check with some of your favorite directors from way back, and even they were probably taking cues from the silent film era, and the films of the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Singling out one director who knows how to properly use reference points to advance his films isn't going to drive your argument home.
 8 years ago '06        #116
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,784 | Props total: 2285 2285
Tarantino is top 5 director of the last 20 years hands down.
 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM         #117
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
And, you can keep faulting Tarantino for his reference points, but every single director ON THE PLANET has used those...

Check with some of your favorite directors from way back, and even they were probably taking cues from the silent film era, and the films of the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Singling out one director who knows how to properly use reference points to advance his films isn't going to drive your argument home.
Properly? You say that as if he has tons of classics, as if he isn't a one hit wonder that is overhyped by name and not quality. His movies are one dimensional, there is nothing to advance by throwing in poor references to past cinema.

Last 20 years is fine with me, the golden age died by the 80's.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 09-09-2009 at 02:31 PM..
 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM         #118
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
And as for the Hitchcock thing...

So... that's not writing?
Nope, taking scripts and revising it WITH the writer, over strict rules by publishing companies (though I admit he was great at pushing the envelope on what was/wasn't allowed) isn't to be compared to the guys who wrote scripts either from source material or scratch, revision isn't quite the same.

Hitchcock will never be considered a writer like Kubrick, even Tarantino is a better writer.
 8 years ago '05        #119
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
Properly? You say that as if he has tons of classics, as if he isn't a one hit wonder that is overhyped by name and not quality. His movies are one dimensional, there is nothing to advance by throwing in poor references to past cinema.

Last 20 years is fine with me, the golden age died by the 80's.
*sigh*

Let me explain what I think may be the issue here...

You hate the new generation only because it is the new generation. Never mind the fact that folks like Tarantino, Nolan, Coen, or even Spielberg have made films that are considered classics. You don't like it because it doesnt adhere to some kind of classical way of making movies. If it ain't Kubrick, Kurosawa, Truffaut, or even Godard, then you won't give it a second thought only because it doesn't follow some invisible pointless elitist way of film snob thinking. Whether or not you can see that for what it is lies squarely with you, not me. I don't need to watch a bunch of classic films to be entertained. There are great films in every decade.

The new generation's conventions have improved upon an fledging cinema, and they are here to stay whether you like it or not.
 8 years ago '06        #120
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,784 | Props total: 2285 2285
 DaOmega_1 said:
*sigh*

Let me explain what I think may be the issue here...

You hate the new generation only because it is the new generation. Never mind the fact that folks like Tarantino, Nolan, Coen, or even Spielberg have made films that are considered classics. You don't like it because it doesnt adhere to some kind of classical way of making movies. If it ain't Kubrick, Kurosawa, Truffaut, or even Godard, then you won't give it a second thought only because it doesn't follow some invisible pointless elitist way of film snob thinking. Whether or not you can see that for what it is lies squarely with you, not me. I don't need to watch a bunch of classic films to be entertained. There are great films in every decade.

The new generation's conventions have improved upon an fledging cinema, and they are here to stay whether you like it or not.
Damn perfectly said:applause::applause:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
96 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
22 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
63 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy