My review of "Inglourious Basterds"

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
147 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
71 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '05        #1
7050 pageviews
145 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
My review of "Inglourious Basterds"

World War II films have an iconic quality that makes them so interesting. It was a time of worldwide intrigue, and just endlessly interesting world relations and changes that are still felt today. The reason why so many World War II films are made is because there is an enormous amount of elements to cherry pick from to create a dope film. Few directors have been able to capture this because of an incessant need to stick to history. but, the problem therein is that we already know how this history ends. We already know what will happen, so how can we have any suspense or emotion about it? That was the main problem with the last WW2 film "Valkyrie"(...well, that and Tom Cruise's lack of a German accent). I mean, the actual historical end of this war was always kinda lame when you first heard about it... You were like "that's it?! WACK". I know I was... And, here is where Quentin walks in with a grenade of awesomeness ready to blow our pre-conceived notions of what we think this film might be to smitherines...

It should be known that I am an unapologetic Quentin Tarantino fan. I love all of his films for one reason: you can never ever tell what is going to happen. Nothing is predictable, because he spends so much time within his films dodging cliches, or turning cliches on their head. Say what you will, but the man single-handedly changed cinema with one film. Not many people can make such a bold claim. In this world of geekdom and film school rejects, you either love his films, or hate them. And, I can already tell that this is going to divide audiences in a way that we haven't seen in a long long time. As for where I stand.... well I love the crap out of this film.

This film takes everything we have gathered from other films like this, and turned it on its head in a film that is just about the pure power of filmmaking. In a summer that has, for the most part, been kinda crappy, this is the light at the end of the tunnel for people who actually like GOOD movies. This is one hell of a fantastical, historically implausible, bloodily violent tribute to old time cinema.

The film is devided into chapters. In the beginning, it starts with a Jewish girl named Shoshanna Dreyfus (well acted by Melanie Laurent) whose family is brutally murdered at the hands of Nazis who are led by a guy known as "the Jew Hunter" named Hans Landa (brilliantly played by Christophe Waltz). Then, we shift to a completely separate group of Jewish-American soliders led by a strangely articulate hillbilly named Aldo Raine (a really fun performance by Brad Pitt), whose sole mission is "KILLING NAT-ZEES". With the help of a German Actress (played by Diane Kruger) who is acting as a double agent, they plan to destroy the power players of the nazi party at the premier of a propaganda film called "Nation's Pride". Meanwhile, Shoshanna now owns a theater and is posing as a French woman. But, when the apparently smitten Federick Zoller (played by Daniel Bruhl), convinces the films director to hold the premier at her theater, she hatches a completely seperate plan to destroy all the Nazis... To give away anymore would ruin just the insane amount of surprises that you are in for.

This film is just purely entertaining. There will be those who are offended by the bloody violence that is peppered through the film. But, Quentin's thing has always been showing gory yet comical scenes of intense violence. But, don't make the mistake of thinking that this is an action movie. No, no, no. This movie is mostly dialogue based, but the dialogue is so well-written, that it's impossible to not be interested in what the characters are talking about. The long dialogue set pieces act as things that ratchet up tension until it reaches a bioling point, and suddenly guns fire, and blood spills. As for myself, I wasn't bored at all throughout this film. I was thoroughly engrossed in the events of the film. And, it never really pulled me out of the movie. Tarantino is probably the best current writer who works incredibly well with dialogue. He writes stuff that will be remembered.

Which works for all of the actors, because there is not one bad performance here... at all. But, the scene stealing highlight is that of Christophe Waltz. He is relatively unknown, but I suspect that he will be making alot of noise come Oscar time (he has already won a Best Actor award at the Cannes Film Festival). His performance as the villainous Hans Landa is incredible. He lures us into thinking that he is polite and cordial, but deep down you sense a bit of malevolent rage that is waiting to erupt. It literally makes your skin crawl to watch as he mentally strips down his opponents and gains the upper hand. Brad Pitt as alot of fun with his hillbilly accent, and you really root for this guy. And Melanie Laurent shows alot of different layers of her character. All of the performances are fun to watch, and are just awesome.

I especially loved the camera work and the cinematography. You can always tell just by the way the camera ways (or sometimes the way the camera doesn't move) that this is a Tarantino picture. The DP of this film, Robert Richardson (who is a frequent collaborator with Oliver Stone and Martin Scorsese)has an amazing eye when it comes to shot composition. This man understands the language of the camera, and how to create suspense with just what the camera doesn't do. And, as always, Tarantino's choice of music always works, and makes it seem like it could be a musical score. The thing that Quentin is most known for is his knack for creating homages to other genres, so his films can never be listed in just one genre. In here, you will find elements of spaghetti westerns, film noir, bloxpoitation, and others.

But, it is not without its issues. First of all, Samuel L Jackson's voice over narration that was scattered sporadically throughout the film kinda takes you out of it a little bit. It's not a serious problem, but it's a problem nonetheless. And, the ending (without giving anything away), and I'm not talking the climax, I'm talking about the very last scene leaves a little bit to be desired. And, as much as I love every second of this film and think it's great the way it is... I want more of the Basterds. Truth be told, this is an ensemble piece. This isn't Brad Pitt's show, nor shoud it be. But, their characters are so interesting, that you'll wish that you had a little more time to hang out with those guys.

But, these are more like minor quibble in a film that is just awesome and pure entertainment. I think that this has to be my favorite film of 2009. Just in terms of sheer crazy film nerd love, I loved this movie. But, it will polarize audience, like all of his movies do. If you hate Tarantino, then stay far far away. but, if you are a lover of film, then there are many things to entertain you here. I personally think this is his third best film, slightly above Jackie Brown. But, if you had to sum up my position, it would be this: as soon as the credits rolled, I thought "I wanna see that again". I don't have any higher compliments to give films.

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 08-22-2009 at 01:29 PM..

145 comments for "My review of "Inglourious Basterds""

8 years ago '05        #2
OMEGAMAN 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,532 | Props total: 18 18
Tarantino has yet to do wrong in my book. I was probably one of the few who loved death Proof. Can't wait to see this.
 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM         #3
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah i liked death Proof too, al though it was lagging at times with the first group of girls (maybe I just hated their attitudes or something) but after seeing it. I ended up watching it like 3 more times and loving it more each time. QT's movies are always like that IMO.

I'd have to say Jackie Brown is my LEAST favorite QT film with the k!ll Bills slightly above it. I only own Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, so it's not like I don't watch Jackie Brown a lot. I just thought it wasn't up to par with the rest of his efforts.

Can't wait to see this one though, thanks for the review.
 8 years ago '05        #4
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
 Got Cheeve? said:
Yeah i liked death Proof too, al though it was lagging at times with the first group of girls (maybe I just hated their attitudes or something) but after seeing it. I ended up watching it like 3 more times and loving it more each time. QT's movies are always like that IMO.

I'd have to say Jackie Brown is my LEAST favorite QT film with the k!ll Bills slightly above it. I only own Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, so it's not like I don't watch Jackie Brown a lot. I just thought it wasn't up to par with the rest of his efforts.

Can't wait to see this one though, thanks for the review.
I kinda think that Jackie Brown is his most underrated. But, I can see what you're saying... After watching Pulp Fiction, when you watch Jackie Brown, it's kinda off-putting. But, nonetheless, I think it's awesome now that I've had time to watch it again.
 8 years ago '04        #5
R.A.R.E. 164 heat pts164
space
space
space
$12,484 | Props total: 18949 18949
That film was genius!
 8 years ago '05        #6
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,442 | Props total: 7083 7083
Jackie Browns a great movie.

I hated the k!ll Bills though, for some reason.

And could NOT get into deathproof either.

But normally I love his movies.
 8 years ago '08        #7
get_ate 
space
space
$1,848 | Props total: 393 393
I hated k!ll Bill, but liked death Proof and Jackie Brown.

Inglorious Basterds looks promising.
 8 years ago '04        #8
KREW 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,043 | Props total: 4837 4837
i loved this movie. that s**t was funny when they introduce hugo stiglitz haha. its tied for second with reservoir dogs. first is pulp fiction of course.
 8 years ago '06        #9
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,975 | Props total: 3992 3992
Negro just say if you liked it or not.

Last edited by Storchaveli; 08-22-2009 at 05:42 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #10
R.A.R.E. 164 heat pts164
space
space
space
 KREW said:
i loved this movie. that s**t was funny when they introduce hugo stiglitz haha. its tied for second with reservoir dogs. first is pulp fiction of course.
Dusk Til Dawn
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Kill Bill 2
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1

Jackie Brown was 1 of his worst but it has a classic line in it from Samuel L Jackson that's unforgettable.

Last edited by R.A.R.E.; 08-22-2009 at 05:57 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #11
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,780 | Props total: 2260 2260
4 classics now for Tarantino :applause:

my rankings:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. k!ll Bill saga
3. Resevoir Dogs
4. Inglorious Basterds
5. Jackie Brown (VERY underrated movie fantastic film.)
6. death Proof (only movie of QT that disappointed me, still good tho)

Last edited by modalee; 08-22-2009 at 06:27 PM..
 8 years ago '07        #12
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
Resevoir
Pulp

are the only good movies hes ever done, I might check this out but Im tired of people overrating Quentin
 8 years ago '07        #13
Antbone 
space
space
$3,573 | Props total: 1 1
From Dusk Til Dawn >>>>>>
 08-22-2009, 07:10 PM         #14
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Storchaveli said:
Negro just say if you liked it or not.
I might check it out soon, but the review seemed bias, Quentin Tarantino avoiding cliches? Unpredictable, yea right.
 08-22-2009, 07:10 PM         #15
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Welsh! said:
Resevoir
Pulp

are the only good movies hes ever done, I might check this out but Im tired of people overrating Quentin
Yea Jackie Brown and k!ll Bill are horrible.
 8 years ago '04        #16
R.A.R.E. 164 heat pts164
space
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
Yea Jackie Brown and k!ll Bill are horrible.
k!ll Bill was over the top but it was good to me. Jackie Brown's story was just weak to me.

deathproof and that other movie that came out with it was horrible. The Zombie one wasn't bad but deathproof was trash.
 8 years ago '05        #17
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
I might check it out soon, but the review seemed bias, Quentin Tarantino avoiding cliches? Unpredictable, yea right.
Hey, it's my opinion. Watching this film, I expected things to go one way, but then it did a complete 180 from what I was expecting...

And, trust me. Films like "From Dusk, Til Dawn" and "death Proof" show that he isn't bulletproof because both of those films were really really weak and heavily flawed. And, also I wouldn't say I'm the world's hugest fan of the k!ll Bill series (even though I still think that they're dope). His 90's era stuff was the best. I just feel like this film is kind of a return to that, which is what he needs. That's why I was very enthusiastic about this.
 8 years ago '05        #18
space
space
My ranking of his films would go something like this:

1). Pulp Fiction
2). Reservoir Dogs
3). INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
4). Jackie Brown
5). True Romance
7). k!ll Bill saga
8). From Dusk Til Dawn
9). death Proof
 8 years ago '04        #19
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,208 | Props total: 2097 2097
 Welsh! said:
Resevoir
Pulp

8 years ago '04        #20
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,208 | Props total: 2097 2097
 DaOmega_1 said:
My ranking of his films would go something like this:

1). Pulp Fiction
2). Reservoir Dogs
3). INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
4). Jackie Brown
5). True Romance
7). k!ll Bill saga
8). From Dusk Til Dawn
9). death Proof
but he dident direct True Romance or From Dusk Till Dawn......
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith passes Kobe for 12th all-time in 3 pointers made
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
4 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If big tiddies and a phat ass aren't your cup of tea, then this isn't ..
61 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact and familie..
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy