Why do so many rappers rap about rapping?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
40 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM         #1
7297 pageviews
33 comments

Above.Ground 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why do so many rappers rap about rapping?

I just don't get it...I'm just sitting here listening to "Knock, Knock" by GZA and I guess it just really hit me - too much of rap is just rappers rapping about how good they rap. Maybe I'm just over reacting from this one song, and I'm not tryin to hate on GZA or anything I could've named any rapper who does this but that was the song I just happened to be listening to. mean I've known this for as long as I've been listening to rap but I usually don't question it and I just wanna know what other people think about this. Wouldn't we be better off if rappers actually wrote about actual things other than being good at rapping? I understand why rappers do this on mixtapes and freestyles and s**t, just to show people there flow and style, but when it comes to putting out an album that people are really looking forward to I just wish they would stay away from this.

33 comments for "Why do so many rappers rap about rapping?"

8 years ago '09        #2
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,489 | Props total: 11373 11373
Because u wanna be recognized as the best so every now and then a rapper has to brag about his skills, hip hop is a verbal sport, some rap just to sell records, other rap to be the best
 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM         #3
Knocka  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the one's that rap about being the best rappers all the time are the one's that stayed in the house practicing their craft while the others were out experiencing s**t.

kobe doesn't have to tell u he's the best during every game, n*ggaS JUST KNOW!

not talkin' down on the s**t, some of my favs do it alot, but as i get older, the life experiences move me more.
 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM         #4
chameleonld  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah its pretty ridiculous. some dudes do nothin but rap about how much better they are at rappin then anybody else. s**t is mad circular

Think it come from the fact that most dudes rappin dont really have anything of value to say. they might even truly love and respect hip hop, but if they aren't particularly insightful or dont have any real message to get out, what are they supposed to say?
 8 years ago '04        #5
Don Savant|S 3 heat pts
space
space
$21,517 | Props total: 17 17
every rapper that's ever rapped that wanted to be taken seriously has boasted about his skills....ain't nothin new...

[spoiler - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[spoiler - click to view]

[video - click to view]

08-16-2009, 03:35 PM         #6
Hip-Hop-Storian  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cause its better and more creative than rapping about your CHAIN, RIMS, AND CRACK AMOUNT
 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM         #7
Knocka  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hip-Hop-Storian said:
Cause its better and more creative than rapping about your CHAIN, RIMS, AND CRACK AMOUNT
i know that's the 'hip-hop' thing to say, but some people(although they're rappers) do really live that life. the majority of fans don't so they see it as being uncreative...
 8 years ago '04        #8
dblock187s 27 heat pts27
space
space
$10,825 | Props total: 2287 2287
Why do nba players play ball
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '06        #9
lmnop 122 heat pts122
space
space
space
$20,854 | Props total: 944 944
^
 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM         #10
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yea i agree with threadstarter..its not like country singers write songs about how theyre better country singers than the next dude....Lol

theres a lotta stupid rappers who dont kno how to be creative with lyrical content and song theme..
 8 years ago '04        #11
polorsport2345 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,168 | Props total: 1625 1625
 Hip-Hop-Storian said:
u dont have to rap about those things to rap about something other than rappin, u can rap about pain, ur struggles, environment & characteristics that plague your life.. I respect lyricist who could mix both, they could rap about they skills but they can also rap about deeper s**t relating to life & sound like they've actually experienced some s**t.. those who just rap about how nice they are with no real substance are corny to me
 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM         #12
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dblock187s said:
Posted via Mobile Device
ur a f**kin idiot.....fail
 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM         #13
hurricanegamePZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
its like michael jackson making songs about how hes the best singer and dancer in the world ..we would all think its wack....only in hip hop do we give n*ggaz passes for doing dumbass s**t...

no wonder white ppl find it hard to consider it an art
 8 years ago '04        #14
jewelz1132 5 heat pts
space
space
$12,671 | Props total: 2205 2205
 dblock187s said:
Posted via Mobile Device

[pic - click to view]

but this makes rap seem wack lmao
 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM         #15
Above.Ground  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I know this whole thing started with the greats like Rakim and all, but that was the 80's man...rap was just starting out and there were no predecessors to the hip-hop genre, so it would only be fitting for those guys to rap about the fact that they rap. It was cool that they rapped because nobody else did, so when they were on the mic the they let it be known that they rapped, and that they rapped well.
Nowadays rap has been along for what seems like forever, and for artists to not get past this idea of "rapping about rapping" to me seems almost as played out as rapping about money, cars, clothes, hoes, etc. I'm all for a bar here, or a punchline there about how nice an MC is on the mic, but entire songs (or more) on an album? Come on, step your game up. I'm not even all songs have to be insightful stories and perspectives on life, just something other than a rap about rap.
 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM         #16
Hip-Hop-Storian  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dblock187s said:
Posted via Mobile Device

polorsport2345 said:
u dont have to rap about those things to rap about something other than rappin, u can rap about pain, ur struggles, environment & characteristics that plague your life.. I respect lyricist who could mix both, they could rap about they skills but they can also rap about deeper s**t relating to life & sound like they've actually experienced some s**t.. those who just rap about how nice they are with no real substance are corny to me
so your telling me its not corny to rap about how BIG your chain is every song, but it is corny to come up with a witty line better yet a whole song full of witty lines.

dont get me wrong I like stories and songs about someones personal struggle too (especially if i have been through it) but how often does one of those type of songs get some airplay or video spins.

Lyrical songs are trying to make a comeback which will lead to those deeper songs being able to get play also. let it happen.

if we knock it
we will forever be forced to listen to you know who?
 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM         #17
pr03583  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
eminem doesnt brag about being the best

but if u ask any rapper in the game what they think of eminem and they will tell u hes prob the greatest

star n buck wild two haten a.ss mofos said that eminem is better than what biggie n pac was lol

now i wouldnt say all that but.. rakim said eminem is a genius puffy said em is a genius and the rest of the rappers r just scared of him lyrically

he put out a song about being r*ped by his step dad and no one said s**t!
 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM         #18
cfalcon22  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I always felt that I didn't need to tout my skills, I'll just wait for others to do so.
You touting your own skills is like your mom being at the little league game mad cause you not touching the ball every play. Or the kid that plays for their dad or uncle and gets to take all the shots or play qb.
 08-16-2009, 07:12 PM         #19
Hip-Hop-Storian  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Peterparker said:
tha f**k are you talking about..Eminem has made songs about him being one of tha lyrical best emcees

have u eva heard of "Till I collaspe" he's speaking on his lyrical skills..he's braggin on himself..

to me this thread is dumb..why do r-n-b singers sing about love??? Do we ever question R-N-B singers...

the think w/ me is I don't give a f**k what u rapping about(aslong as it aint no gay s**t or beastility or having s3x w/ kids) aslong as you PUT UR ALL into ur music..u put creativity in ur music..u put emotions into music..to me that's what music is all about period..

you don't hear about country singers singing about there tha best..but u hear country singers singing about struggles or love n damn near every song..which came from Blues music..u don't question blues artist singing about hard times in tha delta do you??

I love it when rappers rap about how raw there skills is..if it's creative and they put there all into it..that's apart of there life s**t..crafting there style..that's just one part of there life

u spoke of GZA but was his whole album about his rap skill?? No..I mean wha tha hell

u rather hear about stanky leg???

c/s

i don't know wtf these boys are looking for

whats wrong with brag rap?

if trap rap is being accepted
 8 years ago '06        #20
Maywood86 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,438 | Props total: 123 123
rappers who rap about their whips and chains and how they make it rain.. are wack as f**k.. rappers who rap about rapping are battle rappers, and rappers who rap about life, when they were broke or some kind of content over a dope beat are MC's!
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
69 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
189 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
54 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
76 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
63 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
22 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
17 comments
23 hours ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy