Two Surfaces NEVER Touch, Including Your Finger Tips & Keyboard

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
101 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
69 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
114 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
83 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM         #21
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 klew said:
What about s3x?

So nobody has ever actually felt a boob?
You guys aren't grasping the concept. It is the boob and your hands electromagnetic field that press upon each other. When you are squeezing the boob, you EM field from your hand overpowers that of the boob, thus appearing as if you are really squeezing, when in fact your EM field is just pushing together the EM field of the boob.
 8 years ago '04        #22
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
space
$9,568 | Props total: 2714 2714
 CHRONICLE said:
Here's what would happen in a world where atoms were actively in tactile contact with each other...

[pic - click to view]

I wasn't going to say anything, but when i saw this I just had to say FALSE. Atoms have to be traveling at high speeds under immense pressure to produce nuclear fusion. Atoms DO collide everyday here on earth just not with enough force to join there nuclei together to form other elements. If they didn't collide we wouldn't have those things called molecules. If you had said 'in a world where nuclei were actively in tactile contact..' then i would've let it go.
 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM         #23
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
I wasn't going to say anything, but when i saw this I just had to say FALSE. Atoms have to be traveling at high speeds under immense pressure to produce nuclear fusion. Atoms DO collide everyday here on earth just not with enough force to join there nuclei together to form other elements. If they didn't collide we wouldn't have those things called molecules. If you had said 'in a world where nuclei were actively in tactile contact..' then i would've let it go.
Nah, you're wrong.

Molecules are formed by the attraction between two ions, the excess/lack of electrons (ionic), or sharing electrons (co-valent).

Molecular/Chemical bonding involves electrons, not atoms, basic chemistry dude.

Why do you think atoms distort when they bond?

Here, look:

[pic - click to view]

They're obviously not touching, the atom simply distorts, which is essentially polarization (Charge Induction).

When atoms collide, they fuse, due to the attraction of the nuclear force, they have to overcome the repulsion of the atom though.
 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM         #24
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
And the picture I posted illustrates, crudely, the concept of the thread.
 8 years ago '04        #25
space
space
 CHRONICLE said:
Nah, you're wrong.

Molecules are formed by the attraction between two ions, the excess/lack of electrons (ionic), or sharing electrons (co-valent).

Molecular/Chemical bonding involves electrons, not atoms, basic chemistry dude.

Why do you think atoms distort when they bond?

Here, look:

[pic - click to view]

They're obviously not touching, the atom simply distorts, which is essentially polarization (Charge Induction).

When atoms collide, they fuse, due to the attraction of the nuclear force, they have to overcome the repulsion of the atom though.
I go to school for Biochemistry so trust me on this. Atoms are consisted of neutrons, protons, and electrons. Yes molecular/chemical bonding does involve electrons that revolve on the outside of their nucleus, but their has to be an overlap of the electron orbit (which is apart of the atomic space) to form a molecule. This depends on the electronegativity and energies of the atoms involved. Of course there can only be 2 electrons per shell and 6 in the degenerate p orbitals. Ions can form molecules but that is just one instance of molecule formation. If you knew what a carbene was then maybe you would understand my point. They aren't ions and yet the react to form alkenes or cyclic structures., and also any formation of a free radical is not considered an ion and these react to form molecules as well. Any Organic text book has this info or you can just look up free radical substitution reactions.

And you're interpreting the picture incorrectly btw. the electrons and their orbits which constitute the atoms along with their nuclei are overlapping, forming a sigma bond. molecule formation without touching is an ionic bond between two opposite charges.
 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM         #26
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
Atoms are consisted of neutrons, protons, and electrons. Yes molecular/chemical bonding does involve electrons that revolve on the outside of their nucleus, but their has to be an overlap of the electron orbit (which is apart of the atomic space) to form a molecule. This depends on the electronegativity and energies of the atoms involved. Of course there can only be 2 electrons per shell and 6 in the degenerate p orbitals. Ions can form molecules but that is just one instance of molecule formation. If you knew what a carbene was then maybe you would understand my point. They aren't ions and yet the react to form alkenes or cyclic structures., and also any formation of a free radical is not considered an ion and these react to form molecules as well. Any Organic text book has this info or you can just look up free radical substitution reactions.
I already know what you're saying.

A free radical can be an ion.

You've misinterpreted what I was saying, that's partially my fault as well, when I refer to atoms, I'm referring to the nucleus. Clearly, atoms are comprised on electrons, along with the nucleons, but I used nucleon and atom interchangeably.

Substitute "atom" for "nucleon", I didn't notice.

And you're interpreting the picture incorrectly btw. the electrons and their orbits which constitute the atoms along with their nuclei are overlapping, forming a sigma bond. molecule formation without touching is an ionic bond between two opposite charges.
No, chemical bonds only involve electrons.

That picture indicates the distribution of charge, as you can see, the atom is charged, which I stated, was by Induction; due to the fact that it was charged by induction, it distorts the electron cloud.
 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM         #27
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 klew said:
So nobody has ever actually felt a boob?
 8 years ago '04        #28
space
space
 CHRONICLE said:
I already know what you're saying.

A free radical can be an ion.

You've misinterpreted what I was saying, that's partially my fault as well, when I refer to atoms, I'm referring to the nucleus. Clearly, atoms are comprised on electrons, along with the nucleons, but I used nucleon and atom interchangeably.

Substitute "atom" for "nucleon", I didn't notice.

No, chemical bonds only involve electrons.

That picture indicates the distribution of charge, as you can see, the atom is charged, which I stated, was by Induction; due to the fact that it was charged by induction, it distorts the electron cloud.

An ion is an atom that has an imbalanced electron to proton ratio. Free radicals don't have an imbalanced proton to electron ratio, therefore they are not ions.

And I know that the electrons constitute the atomic bonds, but my point is that the atomic space is overlapping therefore the atoms are overlapping. I'm not saying the nuclei do, just the atomic space. To get back to the main topic about two surfaces never touching, it depends what the surfaces are consisted of. If they consist of reactive surfaces, such as ions, free radicals, etc. then they do touch.
 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM         #29
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
An ion is an atom that has an imbalanced electron to proton ratio. Free radicals don't have an imbalanced proton to electron ratio, therefore they are not ions.
I know what an ion is, free radicals can be ions, they're called radical ions.

Radicals are any elements/compound with an unpaired electron on the valence shell, obviously there can exist a proton/electron balance, while the valance electron remains unpaired, but read: "Note that most species are electrically neutral although radical ions do exist".

And I know that the electrons constitute the atomic bonds, but my point is that the atomic space is overlapping therefore the atoms are overlapping. I'm not saying the nuclei do, just the atomic space. To get back to the main topic about two surfaces never touching, it depends what the surfaces are consisted of. If they consist of reactive surfaces, such as ions, free radicals, etc. then they do touch.
Yeah, which is why I clarified: "You've misinterpreted what I was saying, that's partially my fault as well, when I refer to atoms, I'm referring to the nucleus".

And you're right about the exception, that two surfaces technically touch if they react with each other, I made that argument a while ago, in a similar thread.
 8 years ago '04        #30
space
space
 CHRONICLE said:
I know what an ion is, free radicals can be ions, they're called radical ions.

Radicals are any elements/compound with an unpaired electron on the valence shell, obviously there can exist a proton/electron balance, while the valance electron remains unpaired, but read: "Note that most species are electrically neutral although radical ions do exist".

Yeah, which is why I clarified: "You've misinterpreted what I was saying, that's partially my fault as well, when I refer to atoms, I'm referring to the nucleus".

And you're right about the exception, that two surfaces technically touch if they react with each other, I made that argument a while ago, in a similar thread.
Yes i do agree that radicals at times can be ions, but can also be neutral species. I guess we're in agreement then. next time we should both speak with more detail. It seems we were both heading to the same answer from different directions.
 8 years ago '07        #31
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,037 | Props total: 1020 1020
What about man made structures in the earth like skyscrappers, statues ect? Are they not touching the ground? School me if im way off. Oh yeah, what if you get tar on your skin? I doubt the tar is not fully touching you.
 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM         #32
keioss01  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nothing ever touches. Separation is an illusion.
 11-30-2009, 06:51 AM         #33
StatisticZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Not very fascinating at all.
 8 years ago '07        #34
kidbrosweets 16 heat pts16
space
space
$3,847 | Props total: 13 13
 Shaolin_Bees said:
I know I posted this a whiiillle ago in the KC, but I'm gonna repost this. I do this because this is one of the most fascinating things I ever came across. My jaw literately dropped when I heard this last winter on an astronomy podcast...

Did you know that we don't actually touch anything? You might say, "What do you mean? I'm hitting the keys on this keyboard, aren't I? On a macroscopic scale, it might seem in fact you are touching everything around you. On the contrary, we are actually not touching anything and we never have and never will (there are rare occasions but they don't happen in our daily basis).

The bunched atoms that we are made of have an electromagnetic field, Like magnets they also can repel each other. On a microscopic level, quantum mechanics tells us that there is actually a very thin space between every thing we believe to be 'touching'. So in reality, what we 'feel' is the repellency? of the two (or more) electromagnetic fields that come from the atoms itself.

Only source I have found so far.

]

This isnt true.. go jump in a pool and tell me the surface of your bodyt doesnt touch the surface of the water..not only does it touch it..it breaks it
 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM         #35
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^Don't you read?
 12-08-2009, 04:32 PM         #36
1blood  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't know what kinda weed yall smoking in here or who rolled it but damn it pass that b**ch over here early
 8 years ago '08        #37
finalhit 
space
space
space
$486 | Props total: 20 20
 RamazedAGAIN said:
if water falls on me i get wet

there something touched me

if i run my hand across fire, i will burn

/fail
I hope you're kidding.
 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM         #38
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hope both those idiots are kidding
 8 years ago '07        #39
kidbrosweets 16 heat pts16
space
space
$3,847 | Props total: 13 13
 Shaolin_Bees said:
I hope both those idiots are kidding
How are they idiots?

You're the one supporting this nonsense. You can not honestly say that two surfaces never touch. When you jump into a pool you are touching the water, otherwise you wouldnt get wet. What do we all hae an invisible imaginary bubble that blocks our skin from any object?

You're the idiot..
 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM         #40
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^ Pyschology 101- intuition isn't worth a s**t.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
46 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago