Two Surfaces NEVER Touch, Including Your Finger Tips & Keyboard

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
93 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
274 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-02-2009, 11:29 PM         #1
20534 pageviews
92 comments

JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Two Surfaces NEVER Touch, Including Your Finger Tips & Keyboard

I know I posted this a whiiillle ago in the KC, but I'm gonna repost this. I do this because this is one of the most fascinating things I ever came across. My jaw literately dropped when I heard this last winter on an astronomy podcast...

Did you know that we don't actually touch anything? You might say, "What do you mean? I'm hitting the keys on this keyboard, aren't I? On a macroscopic scale, it might seem in fact you are touching everything around you. On the contrary, we are actually not touching anything and we never have and never will (there are rare occasions but they don't happen in our daily basis).

The bunched atoms that we are made of have an electromagnetic field, Like magnets they also can repel each other. On a microscopic level, quantum mechanics tells us that there is actually a very thin space between every thing we believe to be 'touching'. So in reality, what we 'feel' is the repellency? of the two (or more) electromagnetic fields that come from the atoms itself.

Friction is just the effect of atoms pushing against each other. On a smooth surface, with few bumps, there is little friction. Most of the atoms can slide right by each other without actually pushing against each other.

But no surface is totally free of friction. If you examine any surface under a powerful enough microscope, no matter how smooth it appears to the nekkid eye, there will be bumps. This will cause atoms to come face-to-face. If the forces between one set of atoms (snow, in this case), are weak, those atoms get pushed out of the way. But this uses up energy. It's called 'friction'. If the atoms are joined by strong forces, as in rock, then they can't easily be pushed away. The forces between these atoms and your ski atoms, supposing that you were skiing on rock, might be enough to bring you to a stop! In either case, it's atoms pushing against each other, at a distance, (electromagnetically), that causes friction.

Only source I have found so far.

[pic - click to view]

What's in a Touch? ... Nothing! ]

92 comments for "Two Surfaces NEVER Touch, Including Your Finger Tips & Keyboard"

08-02-2009, 11:40 PM         #2
diplo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yep. Seen a doc on this awhile back.
 8 years ago '06        #3
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,988 | Props total: 10658 10658
i now there is a source but find this hard to believe.I mean if i punch a dude in the face,knock him out,break his jaw,swell his face up,and break my hand i doubt "repellency" would do this...there are other examples that come to mind like this but don't feel like posting
 8 years ago '05        #4
Adamsville 131 heat pts131
space
space
$12,434 | Props total: 589 589
the 'repellency' of this kush blunt is crazy!
 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM         #5
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 diplo said:
Yo can you post that if you can find it?
 8 years ago '07        #6
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,414 | Props total: 16136 16136
 philly337 said:
i now there is a source but find this hard to believe.I mean if i punch a dude in the face,knock him out,break his jaw,swell his face up,and break my hand i doubt "repellency" would do this...there are other examples that come to mind like this but don't feel like posting
I could believe that even a punch could be the result of the above...but what about penetration..like a knife cut? What would cause these fields to cut skin? the shape of the knife blade? also water does it repel..do we actually get wet?
 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM         #7
Dengy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 diplo said:
didnt they talk about this on "what the bleep do we know"?
 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM         #8
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fists in motion pack a certain amount of force. Your hand passes it to the surface it "comes in contact with". Velocity and amount of force determines how the recipient surface deals with the force and trajectory.

Weak wooden surface will give way, a vault door would not.
 8 years ago '06        #9
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,988 | Props total: 10658 10658
 Damagegadget said:
I could believe that even a punch could be the result of the above...but what about penetration..like a knife cut? What would cause these fields to cut skin? the shape of the knife blade? also water does it repel..do we actually get wet?
yea that was another thing i was thinking...not so much a "stab" because i guess somebody could say the force would do it but just a cut.Just taking a super sharp knife and cutting ur skin
 8 years ago '05        #10
BlaznHizzle|M 3 heat pts
space
space
$14,408 | Props total: 24 24
how do you explain the texture of items? does this theory mean that when we chew food we aren't actually touching the food? c'mon people..
 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM         #11
luda06  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What about water?
Posted via Mobile Device
 08-06-2009, 08:36 AM         #12
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BlaznHizzle said:
how do you explain the texture of items? does this theory mean that when we chew food we aren't actually touching the food? c'mon people..
Stereognosis.
 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM         #13
CHRONICLE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Here's what would happen in a world where atoms were actively in tactile contact with each other...

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #14
serty321 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,881 | Props total: 10 10
"Contact forces" are actually electromagnetic forces. There is an electromagnetic (force) repulsion that occurs b/w the electrons of your hands and the electrons of the keyboard so they get close to each other, but never actually touch.

Last edited by serty321; 08-06-2009 at 10:08 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #15
serty321 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,881 | Props total: 10 10
 BlaznHizzle said:
Just because two things aren't touching doesn't mean that a force(gravitational, electromagnetic and strong/weak nuclear) cannot be exerted by one item on the other. What we perceive as crushing,chewing or whatever is due to a force that is being exerted on the other item not because we actually come in "contact" with said item.
 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM         #16
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 serty321 said:
"Contact forces" are actually electromagnetic forces. There is an electromagnetic (force) repulsion that occurs b/w the electrons of your hands and the electrons of the keyboard so they get close to each other, but never actually touch.
Exactly. The same applies to the food in your mouth when you chew.

As for a knife stabbing you, obviously the blade of a knife is much stronger than your flesh, due to the atomic structure of the blade being more tightly packed. Therefore the electro magnetic force is probably stronger and when the blade and skin come in contact, the EM force of the blade overwhelms the skin and rips the atoms of the skin, which is seen as a cut.
 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM         #17
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What about water?

If you had a strong enough microscope, you could see bumps on any and every surface, regardless of how smooth you really think it is. If you dip your hands in water, the same principle applies that there will still be a thin layer between the water and your hands. Due to the fact that the surface of your arm not being truly smooth, the water molecules separate because it is a relatively weak molecule which probably explains why when you dip your hands in water, the water is not covering your entire hand like a glove. And gravity and waters weight help most of the water get off your arm.

Well this is my take on it any way.
 8 years ago '04        #18
r_lou13 
space
space
$1,584 | Props total: 0 0
this is touched upon in my latest drop on bx, .
 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM         #19
~Menace~  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^You're not jumping off the building with enough force to break through those atoms...so, no. Which is pretty much what there are doing the the "Large Hadron Collider".(Clearly not jumping off buildings, but breaking through that force in-between objects)

I learned this as a freshman, it's interesting.
 8 years ago '05        #20
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782
What about s3x?

So nobody has ever actually felt a boob?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
96 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
22 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
63 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
91 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy