Kevin Hart X-mad card
54 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
83 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
116 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
256 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #1
6490 pageviews
82 comments

servesurite 42 heat pts42
space
space
$9,316 | Props total: 1085 1085
Jul 17 - Madden overcharged gamers by $925 million

Are you a fan of EA's epic Madden series? You -- and gamers like you -- could have been bilked out of almost a billion dollars, according to a Michigan professor of economics.

Jeffrey MacKie-Mason's estimate came in a lengthy declaration filed in support of the plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit against publisher EA. The suit alleges that the world's second-largest publisher used its exclusive deal with the NFL to eradicate competing football video games -- notably Take Two's NFL 2K series -- and then hiked Madden prices to their current $60.

Industry analysts have been critical of the scale of MacKie-Mason's estimate, and the professor himself admitted in the filing that it was a "simplistic exercise" -- but also notes that under Californian anti-trust law, any damages a.ssessed would be trebled. In other words, a loss in this case could prove expensive for EA.

How likely is that? Your guess is as good as ours, but there's more to this f!ght than video games. In 2001, a comparable situation arose when the NFL signed a ten-year exclusive deal with Reebok to produce hats carrying team branding. As a result, a competing headwear manufacturer shut out by the deal sued both the NFL and Reebok under anti-trust laws. The NFL won, but the f!ght's not over: the case could well be on its way to the Supreme Court this year.
A University of Michigan economics professor estimates that Electronic Arts collectively overcharged Madden buyers between $701 million and $926 million during the years 2006 through 2009.

Dr. Jeffrey MacKie-Mason made his claim in a document filed last week with the U.S. District Court in San Francisco. Mackie-Mason was brought into the case as an expert witness by attorneys representing Geoffrey Pecover and Jeffrey Lawrence. The pair of gamers are named plaintiffs in a class-action suit alleging that EA used its exclusive licensing deal with the NFL to eliminate Take Two Interactive's competing NFL 2K series. The suit charges that EA then exploited the resulting competitive vacuum to dramatically raise the retail price of Madden.

I provide this information for the limited purpose of allowing the Court to a.ssess in rough terms the burden on Electronic Arts in relation to the magnitude of potential damages... Under California's antitrust statute, it is my understanding that these damages would be trebled.

MacKie-Mason arrived at the eye-popping figures using an estimated overcharge percentage that ranged from 50% to 66% for the 30.04 million units of Madden sold during the 2006-2009. He writes:

Based on Mackie-Mason's estimate, attorneys for the plaintiffs have requested additional data for Madden sales going back to 2001. In a response, attorneys for EA agreed to supply as many of the requested documents as they could locate, but were unsparing in their a.ssessment of Mackie-Mason's analysis.

[pic - click to view]

sourcy 1

[pic - click to view]

sourcy 2

82 comments for "Jul 17 - Madden overcharged gamers by $925 million"

8 years ago '05        #2
LVuittonDon4EVA 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,611 | Props total: 442 442
Ya know what's sad...I honestly do not give a rat's a.ss about this.

Just bring me Madden '10.
 8 years ago '04        #3
Scoop24 15 heat pts15
space
space
$6,795 | Props total: 1379 1379
 LVuittonDon4EVA said:

:iagree:
 8 years ago '04        #4
octane 
space
space
$3,858 | Props total: 653 653
People are stupid anyway. If they charged $100 for Madden people would be lined up two days before it went on sale. They should charge more. f*** it. The Rich get richer.
 8 years ago '04        #5
young_fletch 24 heat pts24
space
space
space
$1,074 | Props total: 493 493
dont most games for the ps3 cost 60???
 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM         #6
Mcmasterlock 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hate all those exclusive deal the NFL has with companies like,Directv, EA sports and reebox
 8 years ago '07        #7
Bruce Leeroy 
space
space
$16,662 | Props total: 813 813
 LVuittonDon4EVA said:

8 years ago '09        #8
Spiffy 34 heat pts34
space
space
$20,051 | Props total: 26 26
I would pay 60 80 100 bux. Cant wait for madden 10

07-17-2009, 11:12 AM         #9
YoungGQ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
<<still has a ps2 and will probably cop madden on it......f*** 60 bucks
 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM         #10
redacted 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
File a lawsuit against the NFL for signing with that stupid exclusive deal. I don't give damn about anything EA Sports does, I'm waiting for the next rom hack for Tecmo Super Bowl.
 8 years ago '04        #11
Point da Champ 
space
space
$872 | Props total: 32 32
 ThaReapa420 said:
LOL! EA's games cost the same as everyone else's games. You don't think if bungie could exclusively create and distribute FPS games that they'd do it. EA just used the system to increase their profits. That's not overcharging s***. People will do anything for a little recognition.

That being said I liked NFL 2K5 (I think that's the one with Chris Berman and them on it) more than Madden 2005. And EA saw that the 2K series was gonna f*** up they profits and they did something about it. Sounds like good business sense to me.

:iagree:
 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM         #12
DJatar 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThaReapa420 said:
LOL! EA's games cost the same as everyone else's games. You don't think if bungie could exclusively create and distribute FPS games that they'd do it. EA just used the system to increase their profits. That's not overcharging s***. People will do anything for a little recognition.

That being said I liked NFL 2K5 (I think that's the one with Chris Berman and them on it) more than Madden 2005. And EA saw that the 2K series was gonna f*** up they profits and they did something about it. Sounds like good business sense to me.
sports games are typically cheaper since they come out EVERY YEAR like clock work thats why its bulls*** i wouldnt mind dropping 60 for madden every TWO years or some s***.. whatever not like its gonna stop me from buying Madden 10
 8 years ago '07        #13
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
 ThaReapa420 said:
And EA saw that the 2K series was gonna f*** up they profits and they did something about it. Sounds like good business sense to me.
the nfl actually proposed the deal not ea
 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM         #14
Hurricane24 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what sucks about this is that the 2k series was actually better
 8 years ago '04        #15
#RAPTORSWON 228 heat pts228
space
space
$22,257 | Props total: 2708 2708
Thats why a $600 computer with a good graphics card is the best investment... Download games for free son! f*** EM!
 8 years ago '04        #16
jumpman2304 25 heat pts25
space
space
$14,414 | Props total: 3922 3922
so i have the red lights of death... if i send this to xbox without warrenty will they still fix this for free?? .

i def love madden im not missing out this year, really dont wanna buy another one though
 8 years ago '09        #17
Spiffy 34 heat pts34
space
space
$20,051 | Props total: 26 26
^^ya they should

@ red ring of death, HA HA

I had that s*** happen to me too
 8 years ago '04        #18
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,081 | Props total: 4427 4427
 jumpman2304 said:
so i have the red lights of death... if i send this to xbox without warrenty will they still fix this for free?? .

i def love madden im not missing out this year, really dont wanna buy another one though
they extended the warranty for the rrod

i didnt even have a warranty with microsoft i had it with gamestop and they fixed mine
 8 years ago '06        #19
Bk's Finest 
space
space
space
$926 | Props total: 42 42
I never liked madden, 2k was always better. I rather have a variety to chose from then one game that corners the market.
 8 years ago '04        #20
Stack_Bundles 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,093 | Props total: 179 179
The Only Game I Buy Year After Year On Release Day....... Cant Wait For Madden 10
Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
37 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
109 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
104 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
64 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Denzel speaking Realism!
26 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
60 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
18 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy