Jul 7 - Seven-in-ten whites say there has been too much MJ coverage, compared with 36% of blacks

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
69 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
124 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #1
6683 pageviews
164 comments

RAZAH CUTS 5844 heat pts5844
space
space
$54,104 | Props total: 18989 18989
Jul 7 - Seven-in-ten whites say there has been too much MJ coverage, compared with 36% of blacks

The public closely tracked the sudden death of pop superstar Michael Jackson last week, though nearly two-in-three Americans say news organizations gave too much coverage to the story. At the same time, half say the media struck the right balance between reporting on Jackson’s musical legacy and the problems in his personal life.

With reports about Jackson’s June 25th death in Los Angeles dominating media coverage at week’s end, 30% say they followed these stories very closely. A similar share (31%) say this was the story they followed more closely than any other, according to the latest weekly News Interest Index survey, conducted June 26-29 by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

Blacks followed the death of the African American singer – who had been on the national stage for four decades – more closely than the population as a whole. Eight-in-ten African Americans say they followed news about Jackson’s death very closely, compared with 22% of whites. Women followed the story more closely than men (35% very closely compared with 26%). Close to four-in-ten (38%) of those under 40 say they followed the music icon’s death very closely, compared with 27% of those between 40 and 64 and 20% of those 65 and older.

A separate analysis of media coverage by the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism shows that for the entire week of June 22-28 the Jackson story and the bloody aftermath of the disputed Iranian elections received similar levels of media coverage. The protests in Iran made up 19% of the newshole for the week, while the Jackson story took up 18%. But from the time the Jackson story broke Thursday afternoon to the end of the day Friday, 60% of the news coverage studied was devoted to his death, his life story and his legacy, according to PEJ. Iran coverage dropped to 7% of the newshole in that same time period.

About two-thirds of the public (64%) say news organizations gave too much attention to the death of the 50-year-old performer, who had been rehearsing for a major comeback tour. About three-in-ten (29%) say the coverage was the right amount. Only 3% say there had been too little coverage.

When asked about the content of the coverage, 26% say the media focused too much on the scandals and personal problems in the life of the self-proclaimed “King of Pop”; 11% say the coverage focused too much on Jackson’s successful musical career. Half say news organizations struck the right balance.

More than half of African Americans (54%) say the amount of coverage has been about right, compared with 25% of whites. Seven-in-ten whites say there has been too much coverage, compared with 36% of blacks.

About half of African Americans (47%) also say that the coverage has focused too much on the scandals and personal problems in Jackson’s life, compared with 22% of whites. On this question, there is little difference by gender: 28% of women say the coverage focused too much on scandal, compared with 24% of men. About a quarter of those under 40 (24%), say coverage has focused too much on Jackson’s personal problems, compared with 28% of those 40-64 and those 65 and older.

The Week’s Top Stories

The Jackson story grabbed people’s attention late in what had already been a busy news week with continuing developments in Iran, debate in Washington on health care reform, an infidelity scandal involving South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and a train crash in Washington, D.C., that left nine dead.

By way of comparison, the 30% that say they followed the Jackson story very closely is similar to the 28% that followed the death of Tim Russert, the NBC newsman, very closely in June 2008 and the 30% that followed the death of Steve Irwin, “The Crocodile Hunter,” very closely in September 2006. Still, interest in Jackson’s death is far less than the 54% who said they followed the sudden deaths of John F. Kennedy Jr. in July 1999 and Princess Diana in September 1997.

Meanwhile, a similar share (29%) very closely followed the announcement of criminal charges against Jackson alleging child molestation in November 2003. A smaller share (13%) said they very closely followed Jackson’s acquittal in the California case in June 2005.

In other news, about three-in-ten (31%) say they very closely followed the Iranian government’s crackdown on election protesters last week. That’s comparable to the 28% that said they were following the post-election protests in Iran very closely one week earlier and indicates continued strong interest in the story. Close to two-in-ten (18%) say they followed developments in Iran more closely than any other story.

A comparable share (29%) say they followed reports about the debate in Washington on health care reform very closely. About two-in-ten (19%) say they followed the health care debate more closely than any other major story. Those stories made up 7% of coverage, according to PEJ.

A smaller percentage (16%) say they followed Congressional passage of legislation intended to limit greenhouse gases. That story was followed most closely by 6% and accounted for 2% of the newshole.

Another 16% say they very closed followed Gov. Mark Sanford’s acknowledgement of an affair with an Argentinean woman; 4% say this was the story they followed most closely. The media devoted 11% of the newshole to stories about Sanford.

Close to two-in-ten (18%) say they very closely followed news about the crash involving two commuter trains in Washington, D.C., that left nine people dead. For 3%, this was the story they followed most closely. The media devoted 5% of the newshole to this story.

[pic - click to view]

http://people-press.org/r .. seen-excessive

164 comments for "Jul 7 - Seven-in-ten whites say there has been too much MJ coverage, compared with 36% of blacks"

8 years ago '05        #2
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,240 | Props total: 15806 15806
There has been alot of coverage......has there been too much tho? Yea, maybe a little and I'm black.

Polls like these are one sided tho, I'm pretty sure there are people from other nationalities that think there is too much media coverage of MJ.

Last edited by Micheal C. Will; 07-07-2009 at 09:35 PM..
 8 years ago '05        #3
kaderg911 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,299 | Props total: 0 0
well ur kinda adding to it....
 8 years ago '05        #4
Universal~Mind 59 heat pts59
space
space
$12,109 | Props total: 527 527
lol @ making polls n percentages... n*ggas got too much time.. Read a book.
 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM         #5
QueenzBaller26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
eh whos gives a f**k
 8 years ago '04        #6
yung jae e 2 heat pts
space
space
$686 | Props total: 1 1
not a surprise
 8 years ago '06        #7
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
too much coverage yea... but I try to avoid listening to it as much as possible.... and when I turned on the MJ memorial service today Al Sharpton was speaking and immediately turned it off
 8 years ago '06        #8
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
space
$13,471 | Props total: 2652 2652
well he was the greatest entertainer too live
 8 years ago '06        #9
Yung Dilla 1479 heat pts1479
space
space
$54,921 | Props total: 25884 25884
if they don't like it tell em to kick rocks and suck d**k cuz when princess diana died they was all on tv noooo diana please for about 3 weeks str8 mike been gone for about a week and a half and it's to much eat c*ck n*ggas (not mine pause)
 8 years ago '06        #10
daffysm 
space
space
$14,072 | Props total: 2072 2072
its horrible....the MAN died and they made a concert series out of it
 8 years ago '04        #11
LilEscobar 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,151 | Props total: 224 224
You muhf**kas wished there was this much press at your funeral...
 8 years ago '04        #12
LilEscobar 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,151 | Props total: 224 224
 stfdkd37 said:
if they don't like it tell em to kick rocks and suck d**k cuz when princess diana died they was all on tv noooo diana please for about 3 weeks str8 mike been gone for about a week and a half and it's to much eat c*ck n*ggas (not mine pause)
Exactly, good ol boys dont like when a negro gets this much press..
 8 years ago '04        #13
notoriousthugzz 41 heat pts41
space
space
$18,941 | Props total: 2044 2044
im white and i dont think theres been too much coverage..

this poll is stupid though and doesn't prove anything. all it does is create more racial tensions. its exactly the opposite of the message michael tried to get across..

[spoiler - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #14
nicoled985 22 heat pts22
space
space
$14,344 | Props total: 4479 4479
 stfdkd37 said:
 8 years ago '06        #15
J Money B&W 
space
space
space
$1,028 | Props total: 374 374
dumb a.sssss white people....... god damn.
 8 years ago '06        #16
J Money B&W 
space
space
space
$1,028 | Props total: 374 374
btw i'm white haha
 07-07-2009, 10:52 PM         #17
Apostrophe 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its not a question of too much coverage, its a question of who is covering to much of it. Channels like VH1 and MTV should be none stop playing his music and having tributes, but news networks like cnn, fox, msnbc, should be, you know, reporting the actual news instead of showing music video clips. Its not a race thing either, its a matter of news networks being more tmz and entertainment tonight than actual legit reporting programs. If MJ hadent died they'd still be trying to make money off of the charlies angles chicks death. To me really its more about how sickening it is them being vultures and profiting off of death the way they do than anything else, especially when they are such f**kin hypocrites. These same news networks running wall to wall tributes were the same people who spent the last 15 or so years crucifying MJ every chance they got. Its sickening if you ask me.
 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM         #18
Zo1987 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 J Money B&W said:
dumb a.sssss white people....... god damn.
dont say that theres was just a white guy on this board that said there wasn't too much coverage on MJ. I think there was a right amount of coverage. When Princess Diana died (R.I.P.) there was alot of coverage and no offense but MJ was more well known and many people grew up listening to him.
 07-07-2009, 11:00 PM         #19
Soulja1896 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Apostrophe said:
Its not a question of too much coverage, its a question of who is covering to much of it. Channels like VH1 and MTV should be none stop playing his music and having tributes, but news networks like cnn, fox, msnbc, should be, you know, reporting the actual news instead of showing music video clips. Its not a race thing either, its a matter of news networks being more tmz and entertainment tonight than actual legit reporting programs. If MJ hadent died they'd still be trying to make money off of the charlies angles chicks death. To me really its more about how sickening it is them being vultures and profiting off of death the way they do than anything else, especially when they are such f**kin hypocrites. These same news networks running wall to wall tributes were the same people who spent the last 15 or so years crucifying MJ every chance they got. Its sickening if you ask me.
:iagree:
 8 years ago '05        #20
daliff89 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,412 | Props total: 46 46
word, whitey is evil...

in other news, why the f**k did i turn on my TV today and see Mike's ex-wife's ugly a.ss mug screaming 'DON'T f**kING TOUCH ME!!!' into a camera??

when irrelevant people get coverage because of someone they were involved with dying, there's been too much coverage.........
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
70 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
88 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
84 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
53 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
81 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
114 comments
20 hours ago