Jun 11 - Mos Def Thinks Jay-Z Should Defend His 'Greatest Rapper Alive' Title

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
129 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #1
6061 pageviews
80 comments

Sheek213 7 heat pts
space
space
$570 | Props total: 258 258
Jun 11 - Mos Def Thinks Jay-Z Should Defend His 'Greatest Rapper Alive' Title

He proposes the ultimate MC battle, in which his team of five would go up against Jay, Kanye West and others.

By Steven Roberts

When Mos Def visited Angie Martinez's New York radio show Tuesday to promote his new album, The Ecstatic, neither had any idea that would be promoting the most spectacular MC battle ever.

In March, a video hit YouTube that featured Mos challenging Jay-Z, Lil Wayne and others to a battle. Martinez asked him about the video. Mos admitted it was a candid moment in front of friends.

"I don't have to address it, but what I said, I will stand by," Mos said, adding that his comments were in regards to an article he saw (ours?) naming Jay-Z the greatest MC alive. "Friend or foe, I love you all, but I'm saying if you saying that you're better than Slick Rick, who is still very alive and well, you saying that you're better than Rakim, you saying you're better than Black Thought — and the people making that claim have never been in a position to have to defend that in an open forum."

"But isn't it all up to what you like?" Martinez asked.

"It is subjective, but people start coming out and making claims that you can't defend," Mos said.

He made an analogy to an automaker saying it has the best V8 engine. The automaker has to prove that against other automakers' engines, and a race would prove who is better.

"I just don't believe that claim, where any of these rappers are saying that they are the best alive," Mos Def said. "Really?!? Well, you can easily put that to the test."

"Didn't you say that too, about yourself?" Angie asked

"I ain't saying that I'm better than them, but they certainly ain't better than me," Mos replied. "I have no doubts about that at all. I work at this. This ain't just coming off of some pumped-up ego swagger. I do this."

Mos went on to propose a "Battle of New Orleans." The battle would take place at the Superdome in New Orleans and would settle all discussion. There would be a variety of battles, including the marching bands from Grambling and Morgan State duking it out, breakers from Korea going against those from France, a battle of the beats between Swizz Beatz and Kanye West, and finally an MC battle between teams of five.

"My dream team would be myself, Black Thought, MF Doom, Jay Electronica and Nas," Mos Def said. "I was saying for Jay, or somebody like Jay, or Kanye, or whoever, put you and your four together, and we'll go at it."

Mos said that this was a friendly proposal and that his comments were more about defending Slick Rick and Rakim than anything. He didn't think it was right for anyone to say they were the greatest while both are alive.

Martinez asked if he realizes that people may take this the wrong way, and Mos reiterated his stance: "I ain't gettin' at no rappers. This is, where is your skill set at? I'm always in a position to learn or grow, so if somebody's got a stronger skill set, and I could draw strength from that, then I'm cool with that. My ego is not involved with this.

"There are no losers in this scenario," he added. "It's really just a sound clash and a skill trade exhibition, and it grows the culture."

"This took a turn I didn't see coming today," Martinez said, laughing.

"Y'all brought up the whole battle thing," Mos Def said. "I don't try to get at no rappers. Come on, man. I love all of y'all. I do this because I care."

source:
[pic - click to view]

http://www.mtv.com/news/a .. /mos_def.jhtml

80 comments for "Jun 11 - Mos Def Thinks Jay-Z Should Defend His 'Greatest Rapper Alive' Title"

8 years ago '06        #2
ICanDoIt 
space
space
space
$2,036 | Props total: 0 0
Mos Def is my new favorite rapper...I was just saying you would never see a battle between big name rappers because of label politics and other BS...hopefully something like this happens tho...
 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM         #3
luda06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Everything is opinionated. Mos Def is that dude, but his logic is twisted.

Lets say Mos k!lls Jay in a battle if it ever took place. People would still consider Jay to be better. I mean nobody didn't learn anything from 2001?
 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM         #4
adadfalife607 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
awsome idea...whats wrong with a little friendly competition....even though its all based on your personal opinion..i mean i like all those MC's but personally i think mos def would rip kanye or weezy a new one...but i think its a great idea, great way to promote the culture and could promote alotta these guys that have albums dropping/out....but it wont happen cuz nobody wants there ego to be put in check...f**kin rappers and there pride
 06-11-2009, 12:25 PM         #5
Hurricane24 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
its funny he want nas as a teammate and wants to go at jay while having jay be captain of the team, when you're the best people will talk about wanting to beat you not the second or third best, its obvious they envy jay and want to take out number one, hahaha at nas being sidekick in this situation, nas stans get mad
 8 years ago '07        #6
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 117 117
but why MF Doom though?
 8 years ago '05        #7
darulersback 
space
space
$2,813 | Props total: 15 15
why doesnt jay just join method man since hes a legend also. legends vs up coming artist? passing of the throne -battle of the ages- wouldnt mind it. it would b dope. jayz hasnt said ne thing about being disrespected by being called out. but meth did. hmmm im confused. ne1 else riding with budden now instead of meth? sorry i kno its off topic but how much hate do people normally get for calling out jay? joe did it. not really any backlash. mos is doing it "THERE SHOULD B NO BACKLASH" IF THERE IS ILL GET MS FAT b00ty ON U! HAHA
 8 years ago '04        #8
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
i think mos is ill but i dont really understand where he coming from with he said it himself slick rick and rakim is very much alive meaning they can speak for themselves he act like jay is on souljer boy level like dude cant really spit or sumthin and then to throw blackthought in their wtf. it came off on some elitist back packer s**t, like i didn't really understand puttin kanye on jay's side like the mainstream cats are weaker lyrically or sumthin lol he might not had meant anything by it but it came off as some hater s**t imo
 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM         #9
lyricallySha89 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jay-z is whack !!
 8 years ago '04        #10
l0udm0uf 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,678 | Props total: 3 3
 KeithHernandez said:
but why MF Doom though?
maybe cuz hes ill as f**k i donno
 8 years ago '05        #11
veguss2001 1 heat pts
space
space
$338 | Props total: 5 5
What if Jay's team was Jadakiss, Styles, Beanie Sigel, and Eminem
 8 years ago '04        #12
RoyceDa59 240 heat pts240
space
space
$14,961 | Props total: 4667 4667
I would love to see this happen Mos, Thought and Nas would f**king murder that s**t. Like most people are saying though, it'll never happen and even if by some miracle this s**t actually happened most people will still side with Jay and the major names I mean that battle would be straight lyricism, people on bx today can't even comprehend "I remain a giant and y'all just jeremy shockey"
 8 years ago '07        #13
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$17,724 | Props total: 4479 4479
 veguss2001 said:
What if Jay's team was Jadakiss, Styles, Beanie Sigel, and Eminem
:wow: that lineup right there is mean and would def. give Mos' team a run for their money
 8 years ago '04        #14
shadychef04 125 heat pts125
space
space
$5,024 | Props total: 2966 2966
 lyricallySha89 said:
Jay-z is whack !!
the broncos are wack!

jay-z>your fav rapper
 8 years ago '04        #15
RoyceDa59 240 heat pts240
space
space
$14,961 | Props total: 4667 4667
 The Blueprint˛ said:
@ just side with jay.

Hov been the big name in this game for 15 years for a reason.
You can't tell me it's not true, even if Team Mos spit something that was waaaayy better than Team Jay most people wouldn't even care because most Jay Z's star power alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mos and Co. amazing lyricism.
 8 years ago '04        #16
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,605 | Props total: 1773 1773
Mos isn't really being that smart. Having a rap battle wouldn't prove who is the best rapper alive, maybe that could possibly prove who is the best BATTLE RAPPER, but being the best rapper alive is so much more than throwing zingers at anotha maf**ka in a battle. Its about versatility, lyrics, staying power, but ant the end of the day, its all subjective.
 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM         #17
babybluNblack 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1st it dnt matter how long the people have been riding your d**k it does not make u the best anything except for mayb a good business man. I mean honestly it seems like the rappers that "make it" are the ones who are not afraid to sell out and are easier to manipulate. i feel mos on this tho cuz he tired of hearing all this best rapper alive bulls**t cuz its all false advertisement. bottom line for every real MC there are 4 wack MC's, and i do not believe any MC on any radio station anywhere is better than mos or anyone on his dream team.better entertainers mayb, better representatives of hip hop...NEVER.
 8 years ago '07        #18
Jersey732 6 heat pts
space
space
$4,624 | Props total: 400 400
 KeithHernandez said:
but why MF Doom though?
 8 years ago '08        #19
litdes 
space
space
space
$1,275 | Props total: 1028 1028
lmao after thinking about this for awhile i think im jus gon stop entertaining fantasy and come back to reality and say....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!! :nuts:
 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM         #20
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RoyceDa59 said:
You can't tell me it's not true, even if Team Mos spit something that was waaaayy better than Team Jay most people wouldn't even care because most Jay Z's star power alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mos and Co. amazing lyricism.
Bulls**t. Most n*ggas say Hov lost the battle to nas, so your logic is severely flawed.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
75 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Best Upcoming Horror Movies 2018 (Trailer)
25 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy