..::2009-2010 Miami Dolphins::..

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
100 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
88 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
17 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
149 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #241
madness 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$13,024 | Props total: 2949 2949
White's Wildcat coming to pass

We use the word "innovative" too often in sports. We write about innovative strategies and innovative coaches. We call training staffs innovative for treating a player to health and entire franchises innovative for thinking a little differently.

This week, NBA analyst Hubie Brown even described a play run for Orlando's Rashard Lewis as "innovative." It was successful. Maybe creative. Certainly timely. But innovative?

You see, "innovative" should be reserved for Paul Brown having players keep playbooks, Magic Johnson being a 6-9 point guard and what's going into the Petri dish at Dolphins camp in the heat of May.

On Thursday, out of pads, in an otherwise uneventful practice, quarterback Pat White lined up as the lone back in the Wildcat formation - the WildPat, if you will. A couple of weeks ago, in a previous practice open to the media, White lined up as receiver for one play.

No one stopped practice either time. No one pointed and yelled. But these represent the innovative Next Step. They're the football equivalent of Capt. James Kirk scanning the skies and saying of the U.S.S. Enterprise's next destination, "Out there, somewhere."

Last season, while introducing the Wildcat, the Dolphins entered each game with only three Wildcat plays available to them, coach Tony Sparano said Tuesday. Just three!

That's all they had time to prepare in the midst of a season. It's also how limited their options were with a non-passer like running back Ronnie Brown operating it.

"Then, one of the things we did where we hit that little rut with the Wildcat in the middle of the season, we said, 'OK, let's go back to Day One,' '' Sparano said. "We went back to where we ran it well at New England. That helped."

In other words, they went retro-Wildcat instead of expanding it. Still, it was successful enough that: other teams copied it; Madden video players created new plays using it; New England coach Bill Belichick said he wanted to find a Wildcat quarterback ; Michael Vick's return was written in Wildcat terms; and Dolphins coaches received calls from other coaches about it.

"Tony has a rule,'' Dolphins offensive coordinator Dan Henning said. "It's that information comes in but doesn't go out."

So no discussing the Wildcat with other coaches?

"Not at all,'' Henning said.

The mystery adds to the fascination of what's to come. And to the fun of wondering how the pieces will fit. Sparano always said last year the Dolphins were "just scratching the surface" of this formation. The addition of White to become its Magellan shows why.

White ran the wide-open "spread" offense 90 percent of the time at West Virginia, passing for 1,659 yards and rushing for 1,219 last season. In doing so, he seemed to confound NFL talent evaluators.

Denver, White said, was the only team that worked him out individually at quarterback. New England was reported to do so, too.

"They only worked me out as a returner and receiver,'' he said.

The Dolphins didn't work out White privately so as not to tip their hand that the variety of his talents was just what they wanted. And, since the draft, White has been thrown so much information that, like most rookies, "I thought I was drowning for a while," he said.

He's feeling better now. He's also as quiet about the Wildcat as everyone around the Dolphins, only saying in general terms that it, "expands the spread." More options?

"I think so,'' he said.

On Tuesday, in a pad-less scrimmage, White took the center snap, scrambled left and threw on the run over the middle for a completion. He faked a handoff to a cutting receiver and threw incomplete in the flat. After another incompletion, he threw a deep completion down the sideline that sent some players whooping.

And that was it. Four plays. Two minutes. You could have blinked and missed the pass arriving to the Wildcat. The innards of innovation often aren't loud or s3xy. On Tuesday, it was as quiet as the Dolphins continue to be about the Wildcat.
 9 years ago '04        #242
madness 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
Miami Dolphins' Ronnie Brown says he's among NFL's elite runners

If the conversation is about the NFL's best active running backs, the names Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Clinton Portis and LaDainian Tomlinson have to be mentioned.

Ronnie Brown?

He was the NFL's 19th-leading rusher a season ago, and his professional résumé includes only one 1,000-yard season, that coming two coaches and seemingly a lifetime ago in 2006.

But Brown, 27, who is about to embark on the most important season of his career, already believes his name belongs with the league's elite runners.

''I definitely do,'' Brown said Thursday after the Dolphins finished their latest organized team activities session. "You got to have confidence on this level and, you know, if I didn't, I wouldn't want to be playing this game. So, obviously, when their names are brought up I want my name to be in that same group.''

COACHES BELIEVE

That seemingly is big talk from a player who wasn't even the best running back on his own team one year ago. But if you ask Dolphins coaches and other players, no one doubts Brown can have the type of season that would vault his name among the game's best runners.

Last offseason, when the Dolphins gathered for their OTA sessions and minicamps, Brown was a miracle story and a disappointment.

He seemingly had done the impossible in getting on the field and not missing any appreciable preparation time after an October 2007 injury that required reconstructive surgery on his right knee. The timetable for returning from such an injury and the ensuing surgery is about 10-12 months, but Brown was back in seven.

He was running, cutting and doing most of the things running backs are asked to do in offseason camps, so he was the poster child for the unexpected comeback.

But coaches saw that although Brown's body was back, his mind was not. He was hesitant, careful and not as explosive as he had been before the injury, when he was leading the NFL in rushing despite playing on a struggling 2007 team.

Ricky Williams looked better and performed better in pads than Brown. And Patrick Cobbs wasn't that far behind. It was troubling for a while.

But a year later, and 19 months removed from his surgery, Brown is a different player.

''As far as [being in] shape goes, he's outstanding right now,'' coach Tony Sparano said. "I just watched the film [of Thursday's practice] a little while ago, and he makes this catch on the sideline and extends for the ball and ends up hyperextending both legs to do this, and there's no sign of any of those hesitations, any of the things we went through a year ago.

"In the weight room, the guy is super. He weighs 230 pounds. He's running better. He's stronger. All those things, from a progress standpoint, I see as positives.''

TOUCHDOWN THREAT

And Sparano's vision extends beyond what he sees. He and Brown hope for a 2009 season in which a healthy player, perhaps motivated by a desire to earn a fat new contract, takes the next logical career step -- which he seemed poised to take before the knee injury detoured plans.

Brown, averaging 4.4 yards per carry in his career, always has been solid, but rarely spectacular. Now the Dolphins are hoping he can become a touchdown threat from anywhere on the field. They are hoping for 50- and 60-yard runs reminiscent of the 62-yarder against New England in October.

The Dolphins are hoping for spectacular from Brown.

''What do I expect? I expect, without hesitation and from a physical standpoint, that Ronnie takes the next step in having a super year,'' Sparano said. "What I would hope from Ronnie is the big play -- being able to get to the second level and finish runs, kind of like he did against New England and those situations.''

Brown, who makes his living carrying a football, apparently has no problem carrying that extra burden that would put him in rare company, and in the conversation about the league's best running backs.

''My goal in this league is to be the best I can be and at the same time to be amongst the elite guys that do what I do,'' Brown said. "Adrian Peterson does a tremendous job. LaDainian Tomlinson, Michael Turner, all those guys do a great job.

"My goal is to go out and compete and be the best I can be and be as good or better than them.''
 9 years ago '05        #243
The_Legend23 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,379 | Props total: 0 0
Everything i have read has pretty much said henne has looked great and white has looked terrible. i hate that pick more and more every day
 9 years ago '04        #244
iLLuZiOnZ1313|M 14 heat pts14 OP
space
space
$9,168 | Props total: 1 1
I just officially moved back to Florida permanently.
sorry I've been m.i.a.
 9 years ago '05        #245
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,887 | Props total: 104 104
welcome back
 9 years ago '04        #246
space
space
Dolphins waived WR Todd Lowber this evening.
 9 years ago '04        #247
MiamiDade 55 heat pts55
space
space
$14,355 | Props total: 690 690
 iLLuZiOnZ1313 said:
Dolphins waived WR Todd Lowber this evening.
oh s**t i didnt even know the dolphins had signed him....i remember him from the hbo show(obviously)
 9 years ago '04        #248
madness 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
Dolphins notebook: Sean Smith getting reps with first team

Although only for one day in the Dolphins' ''organized team activity,'' 2009 third-round draft pick Sean Smith lined up at right cornerback with the first unit Tuesday.

''He's been getting better and better each practice, getting his hands on more footballs, playing with a little more confidence,'' coach Tony Sparano said. ``I thought he had a really good practice yesterday. As he starts to progress, we just want to see him versus better people. Everybody's going to have some opportunity to get some reps with that group and it was his day today.''

The coaching staff told Smith on Tuesday morning he would be elevated from the second team, where he and 2009 first-rounder Vontae Davis have been holding down the corners.

Veterans Will Allen and Eric Green had the first team until Tuesday, when Smith replaced Green. When Allen was out of an earlier practice, Davis worked with the first team.

''We wanted to not give [Smith] too much time to think about the whole thing,'' Sparano said. ``We just put him in there [Tuesday] morning and told him he's going to get reps with the first group. I think everybody there knows they're competing. We wanted to see him versus some better people. He made a couple of plays in the red area, so I was happy with that.

``We've got a long way to go.''

Besides, as linebacker Joey Porter said, you really get a line on players when the pads come on because OTA practices of shorts and minimal contact are ``playing flag football at the highest level.''

GINN IMPRESSES COACH

Sparano said the Dolphins need a No. 1 receiver to emerge. He didn't say Ted Ginn Jr. was that guy, but he did put Ginn at the top of the list for improvement among all Dolphins.

'If you said to me, `Tell me the player who has, in the seven practices we've had, that has impressed you the most in his growth out there,' I'd say Ted Ginn is in the top two.

``With the way he's handling himself out there, the way the whole offense has started to slow down a little bit that way. I really see him being in some situations, pretty dominant, so you can see his confidence is at a high level right now. He's running better, playing a little bit stronger and really understands what's going on around him.''

The other player? Outside linebacker Matt Roth.

SMOOTH KICKER

As a steady rain fell on most of Tuesday's practice, the Dolphins remained outside. Despite the conditions, field-goal drills went smoothly. Kicker Dan Carpenter, the only incumbent holding his job completely unopposed, finished off a perfect run by nailing a 45-yarder into a slight wind.
i know vontae davis will be good but hopefully smith has a big rookie year too
 9 years ago '04        #249
madness 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
Florida Sports Buzz: Dolphins' young defensive ends face pressure

With Vonnie Holliday gone, there's pressure on the Dolphins' young defensive ends, including three 2008 draft picks. Some buzz:

• Phillip Merling, drafted 32nd overall, showed glimpses as a rookie (including his 25-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Jets) and said he has been running with the first team all offseason. But ''there is some good competition with Randy Starks and Tony McDaniel,'' coach Tony Sparano said Tuesday, adding the Dolphins want consistency from Merling and want to ''find out if he really wants the bull's-eye on his back'' as a starter.

Merling must improve against the run. ESPN's KC Joyner tells us Merling had only three wins in 47 runs in his direction last year, a 6.4 percent success rate. Joyner awards a win ''if you don't allow an offensive blocker to create a run lane in your gap.'' By comparison, Starks had a 27.0 win percentage on runs (best among the team's defensive linemen) and Holliday was 14.6 percent. Runs toward Holliday averaged 3.6 yards, Merling 4.6.

The good news? Sparano said Merling is ''more physical'' now, and guard Justin Smiley said, ``We line up against each other, and I'm really impressed how much stronger he is.''

One question is Merling's upside as a pass-rusher; he had 12 sacks in three years at Clemson and one as an NFL rookie. ''I didn't really produce like I was supposed to last year'' as a pass-rusher, he said, though Sparano mentioned he has improved. Merling said unsigned Holliday, even after being cut, continues to give him tips.

• Kendall Langford, expected to remain a starter at the other end position, had a 13.9 win percentage on run plays, ''which is acceptable,'' Joyner said. ''Twenty percent is good for a defensive end. Chris Canty was 15 percent, by comparison.'' Sparano called Langford's rookie year ``really solid.''

Langford had sacks the first two games, but none after, but Sparano said ''he has developed some pretty good pass-rush moves'' this spring. Sparano cautioned, ``It's hard for defensive linemen to get sacks'' in this system. "It's more outside linebacker driven."

• Smiley said 2008 seventh-round pick Lionel Dotson (inactive for 14 games in '08) was Miami's best pass-rushing end in practice last year and is now much better against the run. Sparano said Dotson was ''undersized'' when drafted but ``he has gotten a lot stronger. He's explosive. He will play an awful lot in the preseason.''

• Besides Starks, the three second-year players and former Jaguar McDaniel, others competing at end are Purdue undrafted rookie Ryan Baker (Dolphins like him) and Rod Wright (a Nick Saban holdover clinging to a roster spot).

CHATTER

With David Martin recovering from sports hernia surgery, Ernest Wilford said Tuesday he has been getting a "pretty significant amount" of work at tight end, in addition to practicing at receiver and in the backfield as an H-back. ''I know I can still play this game,'' Wilford, 30, said. "That's what I'm going to prove.''

• Not only did Jeff Ireland and Sparano bring Chad Henne on the road for predraft workouts with receivers from Florida, Ohio State, North Carolina and Maryland, but Henne said they also solicited his input on ''who I liked.'' Henne gave a strong endorsement for Ohio State's Brian Hartline, who Miami then drafted. ''He has tremendous hands -- that stuck out in the workout,'' Henne said.
 9 years ago '04        #250
casper 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,753 | Props total: 1 1
henne showing a leadership attribute??? good reads
 9 years ago '04        #251
space
space
This post will be updated throughout the offseason and regular season until the 2009-10 season is over. Continue to check back here for updates.

President Of Operations
- Bill Parcells
Head Coach - Tony Sparano
Offensive Coordinator - Dan Henning
Defensive Coordinator - Paul Pasqualoni
Special Teams Coordinator - John Bonamego

2009-2010 Season Depth Chart:

QB - Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Pat White
RB - Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Patrick Cobbs, Lex Hilliard
FB - Lousaka Polite
WR1 - Ted Ginn Jr., Davone Bess, Patrick Turner, Anthony Armstrong
WR2 - Greg Camarillo, Patrick Turner, Brian Hartline, Brandon London, Ernest Wilford
TE - Anthony Fasano, Joey Haynos, David Martin/John Nalbone/Ernest Wilford

LT - Jake Long, Andrew Gardner, SirVincent Rodgers
LG - Justin Smiley, Shawn Murphy, Mark lewis, Andy Alleman
C - Jake Grove, Joe Berger, Andy Alleman
RG - Donald Thomas, Brandon Frye, Ikechuku Ndukwe
RT - Vernon Carey, Nate Garner

LE - Kendall Langford, Tony McDaniel, Rodrique Wright
NT - Jason Ferguson, Paul Soliai, Joe Cohen, Louis Ellis
RE - Phillip Merling, Randy Starks, Lionel Dotson
ROLB - Joey Porter, Charlie Anderson, Cameron Wake
ILB - Channing Crowder, Reggie Torbor, Orion Martin, Cameron Wake
TLB - Akin Ayodele, William Kershaw, Quentin Moses, J.D. Folsom
LOLB - Matt Roth/Jason Taylor, Erik Walden, Tearrius George

CB1 - Will Allen, Sean Smith, Nathan Jones/Joey Thomas
CB2 - Vontae Davis, Eric Green, Jason Allen/Will Billingsley
FS - Gibril Wilson, Tyrone Culver, Ethan Kilmer
SS - Yeremiah Bell, Chris Clemons, Courtney Bryan

PK - Dan Carpenter
P - Brandon Fields, Jy Bond
LS - John Denney

Last edited by iLLuZiOnZ1313; 08-06-2009 at 12:50 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #252
space
space
I think we can expect David Martin to be released.

Lex Hilliard and Patrick Cobbs will battle in camp but Hilliard can expect to hit the Practice Squad.

FB Chris Brown will have to impress during special teams drills to keep a roster position.

Ernest Wilford could save his career if he bulks up and learns to block at TE.

Patrick Turner and Davone Bess could force Greg Camarillo to retire or be released by the team depending on Camarillo's recovery from surgery.

Jy Bond is giving Brandon Fields a run for his money.

Shockingly Vontae Davis has fallen behind in mini camps and is running as the team's #3 and #4 CB behind Eric Green and Sean Smith. I expect this to change and for Davis to be starting next to Will Allen by the time the season starts but this is certainly a battle to keep an eye on.

I'd like to see Will Allen and Vontae Davis starting and I'd like to see Sean Smith beat out Eric Green.
 9 years ago '04        #253
casper 1 heat pts
space
space
$14,753 | Props total: 1 1
nothing worse than 1st round picks not being starters (unless its a qb)
 9 years ago '04        #254
space
space
also too Jason Allen is not impressing staff at all. I highly recommend he looks into employment opportunities elsewhere.
 9 years ago '04        #255
space
space
2009 PRESEASON

Week 1 — Jaguars at Dolphins
Week 2 — Panthers at Dolphins
Week 3 — Dolphins at Bucs (8 pm EST)
Week 4 — Dolphins at Saints

2009 Miami Dolphins Schedule

Week 1 — Sept. 13 at Atlanta Falcons 1:00 p.m. CBS

Week 2 — Sept. 21 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (Monday night) 8:30 p.m. ESPN

Week 3 — Sept. 27 at San Diego Chargers 4:15 p.m. CBS

Week 4 — Oct. 4 BUFFALO BILLS 4:05 p.m. CBS

Week 5 — Oct. 12 NEW YORK JETS (Monday night) 8:30 p.m. ESPN

Week 6 — Oct. 25 BYE WEEK

Week 7 — Oct. 25 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS 4:15 p.m. FOX

Week 8 — Nov. 1 at New York Jets 1:00 p.m. CBS

Week 9 — Nov. 8 at New England Patriots 1:00 p.m. CBS

Week 10 — Nov. 15 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS 1:00 pm FOX

Week 11 — Nov. 19 at Carolina Panthers (Thursday night) 8:20 pm NFL

Week 12 — Nov. 29 at Buffalo Bills 1:00 pm CBS

Week 13 — Dec. 6 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 8:20 pm NBC

Week 14 — Dec. 13 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1:00 pm CBS

Week 15 — Dec. 20 at Tennessee Titans 1:00 pm CBS

Week 16 — Dec. 27 HOUSTON TEXANS 1:00 pm CBS

Week 17 — Jan. 03 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 1:00 pm CBS
 9 years ago '04        #256
space
space
toughest schedule in the NFL :banghead:
 9 years ago '04        #257
space
space
Post news clippings, articles, updates etc. in here.

If you wanna rant or complain and talk about how much you hate or love the team, this is the place to do it.

Last edited by iLLuZiOnZ1313; 06-11-2009 at 03:01 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #258
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
how bout rant about this new set-up. lol 1,000 clicks to get here.
 9 years ago '04        #259
space
space
 ebcrew said:
how bout rant about this new set-up. lol 1,000 clicks to get here.

Ronnie did it

I'm just trying to make it reasonable now.
 9 years ago '05        #260
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
damn, but im excited about these primetime games
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
153 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
50 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
96 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy