Why do rappers idolize italian mob bosses?

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
201 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
11 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
85 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-07-2009, 03:57 PM         #1
7868 pageviews
32 comments

AlexG1989 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why do rappers idolize italian mob bosses?

I constantly hear guys like Nas, Pac, Jay reference italian gangsters like John Gotti, as if they look up to them in a way. But John Gotti was racist, and got his whooped in jail for calling a black inmate a n!gger... a majority of these italian gangsters were racist, so what's the deal? Shouting these dudes out only makes rap look stupider...

32 comments for "Why do rappers idolize italian mob bosses?"

9 years ago '07        #2
getGwap 
space
space
space
$1,596 | Props total: 149 149
It's a respect thing and i dont think they idolize them as much as there paying respect these rappers rap about a certain lifestyle and then you have these mafia cats that actually did it and did it well

the one thing i respect about italians is the organization and the fact that yea they had people that flipped and was turned state on em but they had a code that is not followed today when the mafia was heavy cats werent as quick to snitch and they respected the boss and the way of doing things

the reason the mafia lasted so long is because they had rules and parameters that they followed and they were organized and went about there business quiet and with dignity not like the gangster s of today

at the end of the day it's respect micheal jordan might have went home and called every white person a cracker and might have secretely hated to be in the same room or on the same team wit a white guy but that doesnt make him any less of a basketball player u have to give respect where respect is due no matter what a person believes

i bet if it came out tomorrow that micheal jordan or ali was a secret racist u would still have white guys that would have to admit that they were the best at what they did
 9 years ago '07        #3
MELODY 25 heat pts25
space
space
$10,418 | Props total: 1857 1857
I dont think they idolized the bosses themselves but more on how they conducted business.
 9 years ago '05        #4
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,624 | Props total: 13691 13691
2Pac didn't idolize Italian mobsters. He used to clown east coast rappers like Nas for doin it though since most of those Italians weren't to fond of black people. Look up his interview with Sway.
 06-07-2009, 04:21 PM         #5
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
at the end of the day it's respect micheal jordan might have went home and called every white person a cracker and might have secretely hated to be in the same room or on the same team wit a white guy but that doesnt make him any less of a basketball player u have to give respect where respect is due no matter what a person believes
I understand the comparison you're trying to make, but mob bosses didn't dunk shots or score free throws, they k!lled people and all sorts of other illegal activities... Why respect that? Still though, rappers respect them, nothing more? I've heard that argument already, but I'm more inclined to believe this "respect" is due to ignorance.
 06-07-2009, 04:23 PM         #6
nxn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AlexG1989 said:
I understand the comparison you're trying to make, but mob bosses didn't dunk shots or score free throws, they k!lled people and all sorts of other illegal activities... Why respect that? Still though, rappers respect them, nothing more? I've heard that argument already, but I'm more inclined to believe this "respect" is due to ignorance.
Well in that case you're not asking about why they idolized italian mob bosses, but why they glamorize violence and crime. The short answer: to sell records.
 06-07-2009, 04:24 PM         #7
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
2Pac didn't idolize Italian mobsters. He used to clown east coast rappers like Nas for doin it though since most of those Italians weren't to fond of black people. Look up his interview with Sway.
Well I mentioned Pac also because he referenced John Gotti in his M.O.B song on Until The End Of Time...
 06-07-2009, 04:26 PM         #8
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Well in that case you're not asking about why they idolized italian mob bosses, but why they glamorize violence and crime. The short answer: to sell records.
I have issue with both, but the main question of this thread was the idolizing of Italian gangsters.
 9 years ago '07        #9
getGwap 
space
space
space
$1,596 | Props total: 149 149
 AlexG1989 said:
i know mob bosses dont dunk shots or play sports but that's not why rappers respect them because most rappers have a tough guy image or persona they try to put out there and these mob bosses actually done the things that these cats are rapping about and have done it sucessfully that's why they have to show respect

it doesnt have to make sense to you or me but these rappers talk about illegal activities sometimes k!lling people or having people k!lled all day so it makes sense to them to pay homage to those people who have done it

and another comparision i'll make is shaq has nothing but bad things to say about dwight howard he called him an imposter and says the things he's doing now is what shaq invented and his whole game is borrowed but dwight howard grew up idolizing shaq and patterned his game after him that's why some of the things shaq sees dwight doing remind him of when he used to be the s**t

and dwight howard was recently quoted in an interviewing saying even though shaq said all these things about him being a phony and an imposter at the end of the day he still have to give shaq his repsect because thats what it is call it ignorance or whatever you want to call it but the world wouldnt necessarily agree with everybody you repsect or pay homage to but your gonna pick who u want to respect and look up to and nobody gonna say s**t about it to say it makes rap look dumb because a few cats want to respect mob bosses is a lame argument to have

and to the cats that said 2pac didnt his thing was makaveli the don wasnt it? And he did shoutout gotti on one of his songs so i guess that makes him a hypocrite if he was bashing east coast artists for it

Last edited by getGwap; 06-07-2009 at 04:43 PM..
 06-07-2009, 04:56 PM         #10
Sam Rothstein  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The structure of a Mafia family is something we all should idolize. When was the last time you got together with your friends and made plans to something that would provide for everyone financially? Never, because everyone is out to get "it" for themselves.

There is no loyalty in today's society, I can't even trust my brother around a pile of. The bond & loyalty these guys had back then was crazy.

There is power in numbers, but the rappers like to glorify violence because "killing people, making a lot of money, and walking away a free man," is what America considers cool. They don't look at bond and loyalty some of these guys had, now everyone wants to be Tony Montana. They actually believe they can do it on their own.

Last edited by Sam Rothstein; 06-07-2009 at 04:58 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #11
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,624 | Props total: 13691 13691
 AlexG1989 said:
Well I mentioned Pac also because he referenced John Gotti in his M.O.B song on Until The End Of Time...
Yea, but he didn't idolize them like the other rappers you mentioned. He knew they were racist.
 9 years ago '06        #12
MissLoveOne 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,129 | Props total: 42 42
I don't think they idolized them, as much as they respected their code and the way they did their business. I don't think anybody is dumb enough to go, yeah I respect the illegal activities, crime, and murder they did. Actually, this is a broader question. Why do anybody idolize these mobsters and quote unquote gangsters? It ain't just the rappers. But as with anything Hip Hop is always looked at or questioned about everything. So you could look at this abunch of ways.
 9 years ago '06        #13
diVERSEity 
space
space
$3,978 | Props total: 0 0
Gangsta = cool
and Italian mob bosses = gangsta
 9 years ago '07        #14
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 855 855
raekwon feat ghostface aka tony starks and method man aka johnny blaze - wu gambinos
 9 years ago '07        #15
timdog 919 heat pts919
space
space
$30,448 | Props total: 14857 14857
gotti was a racist its well known

why do blk ppl like eminem after what he said about blk ppl
 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM         #16
Obie  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cause they watched too many gangster movies but didnt get the point of them
 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM         #17
nxn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 timdog said:
gotti was a racist its well known

why do blk ppl like eminem after what he said about blk ppl
Uhh, there's a difference between saying something stupid at the age of like 15 and being an actual racist. If you feel like eminem is a racist because of that, even though he apologized and even though his whole crew is black, ... I don't even know what to tell you, I guess don't listen to him then.

As for Gotti, he was an ACTUAL racist from what I gather.

Last edited by nxn; 06-07-2009 at 06:41 PM..
 9 years ago '08        #18
knAwle3ge 73 heat pts73
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 385 385
cuz they like to show off. Notice that most of the well known rappers follow that mafia life, but the undergound cats just like to be themselves. Plus that's the only way to sell records anyway, to attract that "crowd".
 06-07-2009, 06:48 PM         #19
Kal Tourette  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
because many people are very insecure and have a inferiority complex from the slavery. 300 years of mental conditioning tht they even mostly follow the roman's religion. a child who hates clowns would love batman and look at him as a role model or some kind of hero to get him thru tht fear complex so since blacks generally hated the law created by their former, and objectively current masters, they found an image to relate to. it gives young black men a back bone to implement tht tough guy attitude into their culture. we once strived to be gods, kings and pharoahs with heart but now we applaud the violent ignorant nature of thugs and gangsters with no guts or true heart, but guns and drugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
 9 years ago '07        #20
timdog 919 heat pts919
space
space
$30,448 | Props total: 14857 14857
 nxn said:
Uhh, there's a difference between saying something stupid at the age of like 15 and being an actual racist. If you feel like eminem is a racist because of that, even though he apologized and even though his whole crew is black, ... I don't even know what to tell you, I guess don't listen to him then.

As for Gotti, he was an ACTUAL racist from what I gather.
everyone makes racist statements at time but he put it on wax

so i guess he meant that
Home      

most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
81 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
43 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
67 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
48 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
36 comments
2 days ago