Kobe: “People think Shaq would have won a championship without ME on that team?”

most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
51 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
74 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '08        #1
5653 pageviews
116 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
Kobe: “People think Shaq would have won a championship without ME on that team?”

its probably been posted or moved by the merge-happy mods, but i'm too lazy to check image

LOS ANGELES – Kobe Bryant(notes) has retreated into one of his dark provinces, a sullen and solitary state radiating an unmistakable aura: Don’t bleep with me now. As Bryant creeps closer to these NBA Finals, he’s long with his glares and short with his answers. Around him, his people will tell you that they’ve seldom seen him work his way into such a startling ferocity.

For fifteen minutes, he had been hellbent on getting out of the Staples Center interview room with pursed lips and muttered clichés. He wanted to give nothing, and he was well on his way when it was asked of him about needing a championship without Shaquille O’Neal(notes), about validating his legacy. There would be no clean getaway on Wednesday for Kobe Bryant.

He was out of clichés, out of patience and damn near out of his mind. “It means … nothing,” he said, and now it was coming on the eve of Game 1, the window into Bryant’s tortured soul that reminds everyone that it means everything.

“People think Shaq would have won a championship without me on that team?” Bryant sniffed.

“They’re crazy.”

Oddly enough, Shaq made a most predictable proclamation Wednesday on Twitter: “I want Kobe to get No. 4.” Yes, he wants Bryant to catch him with No. 4, because it probably stings him less than Dwight Howard(notes) and Stan Van Gundy – two of his favorite targets – winning No. 1. Almost a year ago, Shaq gleefully rapped that “Kobe couldn’t do without me,” and laughed and laughed and laughed. It made Shaq look small and petty, just as that Tweet was so disingenuous.

These days, Shaq is on the defensive. He’s trying to appear magnanimous, but it’s a tough sell. Kobe refused to play make-believe with Shaq on All-Star weekend, and won’t bother now.

For Bryant, this series is a chance to settle scores, old and new. Deep down, Bryant understands that he has to win a championship without Shaq. The question still chases him, still drives him wild, and now is his chance to never hear it again. Shaq is yesterday’s champion in the NBA, and LeBron James(notes) is tomorrow’s. The moment is now for Bryant. He hears all these arbitrary arguments of how James has surpassed him, but he didn’t reach the Finals to prove it on the game’s grandest stage.

LeBron didn’t just lose the chance at an NBA dream Finals, he lost a little of his sterling reputation, too. Now, David Stern wants to talk to him about his lousy sportsmanship, and worse justification, in the aftermath of the Game 6 loss to Orlando.

Those close to Kobe were asking a fair question on Wednesday: How badly would Bryant have been beaten up had he pulled a stunt like LeBron’s?

Almost a.ssuredly, Bryant will retire with just one MVP award because LeBron and Dwyane Wade’s(notes) twentysomething legs will dominate the next several regular seasons in bigger, bolder ways. But most of all for Bryant, the Lakers offer him a chance to compete for championships for the next few years, to catch Michael Jordan and his six titles.

That’s how Bryant can separate himself. Ultimately, he understands that history will judge him on those, that the rings will punctuate the debate on the best player of his time, the best ever. For Bryant, there are no a.ssurances past this season. Phil Jackson could retire with his 10th coaching championship, the one that would pass the Boston Celtics’ Red Auerbach and that would leave Bryant starting over with a coach who will be Jackson’s inferior.

These days, Bryant is cherishing what could be his final run with the coach, insisting, “It would be a tremendous honor to be on the team that can get him that 10th championship.”

Mostly, though, Kobe Bryant is in Kobe Bryant mode. He tried so hard to get through his news conference without a window into him, but that’s hard for Bryant. He has listened to that Shaq question over and over for years, and now’s he’s four victories from never hearing it again. No, Shaq never would’ve won those titles without Kobe. For those who still doubt that, well, Bryant called them “crazy.” All that anger, all that animus, welled up within Kobe Bryant on the eve of these NBA Finals, and it will be something spectacular to watch at Staples Center on Thursday.

Yes, the message was unmistakable: Don’t bleep with him now.

[pic - click to view]

http://sports.yahoo.com/n .. yhoo&type=lgns

[pic - click to view]

:agreement6: @ the goat making it known

[pic - click to view]

http://www.youtube.com/wa .. ?v=WhNN920v6ss

who else can do this? image

Shaq was the 2000 MVP. He seemed to continue his domination after scoring 41pts in game 1. But Portland shoked L.A with a 29pt win, then went on a 15-2 run to open game 3.

Shaq was scoreless in first quarter but L.A managed to stay in the game thanks to Kobe six straight field goals. His clutch a.ssist with 25sec to play and his last second block vs Sabonis to prevent a potential game winner captured a 25pts 7rbds 7asts effort in game 3.

Down 3-1, Portland managed to win game 5 & 6, tying the series at three games apiece. O'Neal didn't make a basket in the final 16 minutes of game 6- Kobe scored 35pts but couldn't prevent the loss.

Now GAME 7. The defining play of the game, the image which still remains the most in the memories is the alley hoop dunk made by Shaq in the closing seconds, putting an exclamation point to an historic come back.

BUT it was Kobe not Shaq, the MVP of this game so far. At only 21 years old, Kobe lead his team in scoring with 25pts and had game high 11rbds 7asts 4blks, while playing terrific defense.

O'Neal was unable to make a basket in the first 15 minutes and had only 9pts entering the 4th.

So young Kobe had to step up, and at 21, he wasn't afraid of anything or anyone. He did score 25pts but played awesome defense too. His rebounds, a.ssists & Blocks often lead to big plays. He just outplayed NBA great Scottie Pippen, who shouldn't have critisized him at the beginning of the series, in the final two plays of the game.

Kobe lead L.A to an historic come back in this classic series. The Lakers erase a 15pt 4th quarter deficit to get to the finals.

116 comments for "Kobe: “People think Shaq would have won a championship without ME on that team?”"

9 years ago '04        #2
DPGUNIT 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,247 | Props total: 4 4
People still dont wanna give mamba his due...
 9 years ago '04        #3
DJ Maximum|M 48 heat pts48
space
space
$43,347 | Props total: 11547 11547
no big man no chip honestly

pau gasol could easily avg 32 ppg if he gets more touches

without gasol LA would be just like cleveland
 9 years ago '05        #4
MATIX 
space
space
$7,987 | Props total: 68 68
these quotes are dumb. i hope the magic can k!ll kobes ego this series
 9 years ago '06        #5
SuppaSlick 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,748 | Props total: 1187 1187
 DJ Maximum said:
no big man no chip honestly

pau gasol could easily avg 32 ppg if he gets more touches

without gasol LA would be just like cleveland
Boo hoo. Without Kevin Garnett Boston would be just like Cleveland....

Wait a second, you were worse

Every team needs an effective low post player, reduces double teams for the superstars
 9 years ago '08        #6
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
@ gasol easily averaging 32

i'm sure memphis would've loved to have had that information
 9 years ago '09        #7
DJ Geezy 11 heat pts11
space
space
$2,393 | Props total: 207 207
Dude ain't Jordan just stop it
 9 years ago '04        #8
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,308 | Props total: 11225 11225
source?
 9 years ago '05        #9
Lil Jay 05 19 heat pts19
space
space
$8,683 | Props total: 507 507
 DJ Geezy said:
Dude ain't Jordan just stop it
You are right he is not Jordan.

Kobe is better than MJ
 9 years ago '05        #10
Lil Jay 05 19 heat pts19
space
space
$8,683 | Props total: 507 507
 rasheedwallace said:
source?
The first story was on ESPN man.
 9 years ago '04        #11
DPGUNIT 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,247 | Props total: 4 4
lol n*ggas act like kobe just wasnt on the team @ all i swear, like it was just some anonymous young black male with a jew fro closing out the games when shaq ran outta gas
 9 years ago '04        #12
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
The Lakers don't GET to the finals without Kobe, but they don't WIN without Shaq.

This is pretty much due to the fact that the West was so stacked with big men in the early decade that they couldn't go to Shaq as much.
Then the East was more stacked with guards so Shaq was able to beast in the finals.

@THE_REAL_SHAQ What kobe said to magic is true, I wouldn't of won it without him fish and robert horry, and b shaw and fox and everybody dynasty baby

Last edited by A.G; 06-04-2009 at 06:07 PM..
 9 years ago '09        #13
WezLFaCe_KiD 57 heat pts57
space
space
$14,827 | Props total: 1038 1038
ima la fan but dude lost by 39 last year and gave up 25 point lead at home you cant do that com on... and 2004 finals was garbage.............. but i do think its his tome this year
 9 years ago '08        #14
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269 OP
space
space
 rasheedwallace said:
source?
the link's in there at the bottom. its just white text
 06-04-2009, 06:10 PM         #15
HeavenlySword 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
kobe >>>>>>>>
Posted via Mobile Device
 06-04-2009, 06:11 PM         #16
Andre3000 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P. Dedos said:
of coarse they wouldnt have won without him
thats all we needed to hear from you.
 9 years ago '06        #17
TheKidHypno' 28 heat pts28
space
space
$8,412 | Props total: 102 102
 SuppaSlick said:
Boo hoo. Without Kevin Garnett Boston would be just like Cleveland....

Wait a second, you were worse

Every team needs an effective low post player, reduces double teams for the superstars
celtics atleast made it to game 7 for home court

and shaq wouldnt have won without dwade and his phantom calls, they were down 0-2 before they got bailed out

Last edited by TheKidHypno'; 06-04-2009 at 06:15 PM..
 06-04-2009, 06:14 PM         #18
ElMarroAfamado 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this article by this guy on yahoo is probably the stupidest article i have ever read
i dont know who blows s**t players say more out of proportion or put words into peoples mouths realgm or this moron...
someone should send him hate mail or something
 9 years ago '06        #19
Trap$tar 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,880 | Props total: 2718 2718
I think when people say he couldnt win without Shaq its means that he hasnt won a ring as the number 1 option which of course he hasnt and today is first day to start to do that.

But I cant believe there are already two people in here who called him the best when he hasnt lead a team to a championship yet.

He cant even hold a torch to Magic let alone MJ. Kobe fans need to know Laker history before claiming to be Laker fans
 9 years ago '08        #20
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,729 | Props total: 11626 11626
Shaq secretly is rooting for Orlando so he can put out the "How my a.ss taste" remix
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
78 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now