Official 2009-2010 NFC East Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who's your pick to win the NFC East?
Cowboys 10 13.51%
Giants 29 39.19%
Eagles 21 28.38%
Redskins 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #201
Stupendamatic 117 heat pts117 OP
space
space
$18,471 | Props total: 3353 3353
Nicks not worried about filling Plax's shoes

[pic - click to view]

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Even though the New York Giants finally cut ties with wide receiver Plaxico Burress, he still casts a pretty large shadow. His accidental shooting and subsequent suspension coincided with the team's late-season slide, which bordered on an all-out collapse.

And that's why we spent a large part of our offseason tracking every report/rumor that had the Giants acquiring either Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards in a trade. At one point, the Edwards trade seemed like a foregone conclusion. But in the end, general manager Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin refused to let Burress' absence hold them hostage. The Cardinals and Browns were asking too much, and that's why the Giants kept their draft picks and selected North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks late in the first round.

Nicks was a superstar at Charlotte (N.C.) Independent High School before becoming the Tar Heels' all-time leading receiver. He always seemed to save his best performances for the biggest games, which sort of reminded the Giants of a receiver who'd made the game-winning catch in Super Bowl XLII.

And no matter how much you hear from the Giants about their talented -- if not raw -- group of receivers, Nicks is supposed to eventually replace Burress as the team's big-play receiver. Don't get distracted by all those Ramses Barden features you're reading. He may be built more like Burress, but it's not fair to mention them in the same sentence.

Nicks, though, drew comparisons to Cowboys Hall of Famer Michael Irvin while playing for one of Irvin's old coaches at North Carolina. Butch Davis was on Jimmy Johnson's University of Miami staff in the late '80s and then followed him to the Cowboys, where Irvin was waiting. Davis told Nicks that his fearless style reminded him of Irvin.

Several scouts have told me, though, that Nicks reminds them most of Boldin, a player the Giants have coveted for years. You would think all the expectations might wear on Nicks, but he doesn't seem fazed.

"I really don't feel any pressure," Nicks told me via phone Tuesday. "I just have to keep doing what I did all through college. Actually, it's a lot of the same stuff. We had the same style of offense at North Carolina, so it doesn't feel like a big leap."

And that's where the Giants think Nicks has a built-in advantage. In addition to having excellent speed and freakishly large hands (4XL gloves), Nicks spent hours watching film of Eli Manning and his receivers during college. Apparently offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach John Shoop was a big fan of the Giants' offense, which might explain why everything seemed easy for Nicks at the Giants' rookie minicamp last weekend.

As we discussed earlier, Davis knows a thing or two about explosive receivers. In 2000, he had future NFL stars Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson and Santana Moss on the same team at Miami. He felt like the combination of Nicks, Brandon Tate and Brooks Foster at North Carolina was at least in the same neighborhood as his Hurricanes' group. And he agrees that Nicks may have a head start on other rookie receivers in the league.

"We run what everybody in the NFL runs," Davis told Dallas Morning News draft expert Rick Gosselin in March. "So every kid here has run every route, every route adjustment you can run. Every kid here knows how to move a defender and change the leverage of the corner or safety because of his release. They're going to come out of here and be a lot more polished than most college receivers."

Publicly, the Giants will talk about how Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith are projected to start in '09. But in reality, they're hoping Nicks forces his way into the starting lineup during training camp. Everyone always talks about how it takes awhile for receivers to make an impact in this league. Well, the Giants watched Eagles rookie DeSean Jackson make a large impact in '08 and they remember what Boldin did his first couple of seasons with the Cardinals. At some positions, the Giants can afford to have three-year plans. Receiver is not one of those.

For his part, Nicks doesn't run from the Burress comparison. He lists his favorite receivers in the league as the Panthers' Steve Smith and Burress -- in that order. Growing up in Charlotte, Nicks had a bird's-eye-view of Smith's prolific career.

"He used to come up to my high school," Nicks said of Smith. "But we didn't meet until I was playing in a bowl game my last year at UNC. He called me about two weeks after that game, and said he'd been watching me and that he wanted me to keep working hard. That meant the world to me."

But what does he think about Burress?

"He was the rare athlete," Nicks said. "His height. His eyes. The speed. He was just a really interesting guy to watch, and that's the biggest reason I always watched Giants games. I loved watching Eli throw him the deep post down the middle and the speed routes were great to watch. He'll always make something happen, and that's sort of my approach."

The Giants will continue to insist that Nicks doesn't need to become Plaxico Burress. At least not until December.
Nice read, the only part that is wrong is the excellent speed, Nicks has game speed though as he showed averaging 18 yards a catch.

He has a nice head start playing in a pro-style offense in college. I can't wait for training camp. :applause:

Giants' WR competition will be wide open

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

It sounds like Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has penciled in Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith as the starting wideouts, but that competition is far from over. I'm a little surprised to hear the Giants are still high on Sinorice Moss as the potential third option, but maybe that's about giving the player more confidence.

I think a lot of us have waited to see if Moss could turn into his older brother, Santana. Now that we're convinced he'll never play at that level, what does success look like? The Giants want Moss to be a deep threat, but I've never seen anything to suggest that he could be that guy on a consistent basis. And where is all this "Moss made a ton of progress in '08" talk coming from? I don't remember him doing much at all.

In my mind, David Tyree is sort of the X-factor in all this. If he's truly 100 percent, there's a good chance that he contributes in '09. OK, it's time to bang out a quick Hakeem Nicks column. You can read it at noon ET, so set your Blackberry alarms.
Now I have a problem with this. Moss was not inactive last year because he couldn't play, Gilbride said it himself that Moss was inactive because he didn't play special teams not because of how he played on the field. When he did play he did take full advantage of his oppurtunities. He was thrown to 12 times and caught all 12 and had 2 touchdowns. In a very very limited role I think that is showing something. Gilbride and Jerry Reese have both said they have to get him involved (Moss).
 9 years ago '07        #202
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,362 | Props total: 10 10
 kp059 said:
Can u please name me a possession receiver that u would suggest mcnabb throw to in this picture ur paintin? Freddie mitchell? James thrash? Reggie brown?LJ smith? This year if they don't got a better record than the giants then I'll concur that y'all r better but that's hard to imagine.. U can't even honestly picture the eagles finishing lower than 2nd in the division
Posted via Mobile Device.. Damn I forgot one.. Todd pinkston.. U can't pass it to urself In the clutch. Ask Eli if he missed plax
Eli + Plax = 1 Ring
Mcnabb + TO = ____ Ring????

That's what I thought...
 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM         #203
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^Shut up f*g**t.
 9 years ago '07        #204
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
 The Blueprint˛ said:
^Shut up f*g**t.

You'll never learn eh???? You run your f*ckin' mouth all over this sh*t every day, and as soon as someone hits you wit the truth, you resort to name calling...

Grow up b***h....
 9 years ago '07        #205
KING*TITO 46 heat pts46
space
space
$6,107 | Props total: 332 332
 The Blueprint˛ said:
^Old news brah. Your NOT the superbowl defending champs anymore
All the pictures posted up there are old, whats your point???? So what ya sacked Eli, do you bust a nut when you see that?? IT"S JUST A SACK, YA STILL LOSER EVERY YEAR IN THE HISTORY OF YOUR TEAM, NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL, EVER, EVER.... Now be quiet.... Shhhhh............

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM         #206
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
n*gga i'll never be quiet.

and at this n*gga dope throwin a hissy fit, i was kidding
 9 years ago '07        #207
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
Dallas Cowboys SB's - 5
New York Giants SB's - 3
Washington Redskins SB's - 3
Philadelphia Eagles - ________________

Get mad, and stay mad....
 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM         #208
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Whos mad? Im actually laughing at you getting emotional. Wipe the sand out your p***y.
 9 years ago '07        #209
KING*TITO 46 heat pts46
space
space
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................
 9 years ago '07        #210
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
 The Blueprint˛ said:
n*gga i'll never be quiet.

and at this n*gga dope throwin a hissy fit, i was kidding
Relax dog, I know you were kidding. I'm just having a bad day:angry12:
 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM         #211
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KING*TITO said:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................
Sayin that isnt going to erase the beating you took at the hands of the eagles this year.
 9 years ago '07        #212
KING*TITO 46 heat pts46
space
space
 The Blueprint˛ said:
Sayin that isnt going to erase the beating you took at the hands of the eagles this year.

:sad34:

EVERY YEAR IN THE HISTORY OF YOUR TEAM, NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL, EVER, EVER....

EVER

EVER

EVER

NOW,

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......
 9 years ago '07        #213
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
 The Blueprint˛ said:
...and those two wins got you????

As long as you live in the past, I will too.
 05-14-2009, 02:46 PM         #214
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
does spacing out your words make you feel special?

and yep im still here.

Got this n*gga typin in caps tell em why
 05-14-2009, 02:47 PM         #215
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dope Bai said:
...and those two wins got you????

As long as you live in the past, I will too.
Further then the giants
 9 years ago '05        #216
Stupendamatic 117 heat pts117 OP
space
space
$18,471 | Props total: 3353 3353
Tito, just noticed your sig.....It's Kryptonite.
 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM         #217
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
November and December is tony romos kryptonite.
 9 years ago '07        #218
Dope Bai 1 heat pts
space
space
 The Blueprint˛ said:
November and December is tony romos kryptonite.
A football is Romo's kryptonite...
 9 years ago '07        #219
KING*TITO 46 heat pts46
space
space
 Stupendamatic said:
Tito, just noticed your sig.....It's Kryptonite.
Blame Google....
 05-14-2009, 02:59 PM         #220
The Blueprint˛ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dallas fans are awfully quiet since you know what
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago