Heavy Rain

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
35 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
60 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM         #81
TriangleOffense  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 C-Murduh187 said:
This is going to be a great game! I can't wait! And I'm glad it has a different storyline because it makes the gamer wonder what would happen in another case. That makes you want to replay the game.
i know Im going to make it through once hopefully without dying than im going to do it again getting k!lled s**t should be great
 9 years ago '06        #84
WhoSentU 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,579 | Props total: 562 562
s**t looks raw as f**k. IMOTY (Interactive Movie Of The Year)
 9 years ago '04        #85
show 
space
space
$1,219 | Props total: 268 268
yo, they showing this game right now on spike tv and this s**t looks incredible.
 05-22-2009, 12:10 AM         #86
TriangleOffense  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 show said:
yo, they showing this game right now on spike tv and this s**t looks incredible.
s3x violence nudity 4 seperate stories but... the last thing the douche said was "coming next year exclusively on the PS3"

boo @ next year if that is right
 9 years ago '04        #87
dogmanx23 9 heat pts
space
space
$3,666 | Props total: 328 328
I just watched the GTTV preview of the game. HOLY CRAP!!!!!! Game looks amazing and its something very different.
 9 years ago '05        #88
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,081 | Props total: 10757 10757

^^this vid is dope as hell
 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM         #89
adadfalife607  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cant wait for this s**t to come out...i still dont have any idea of what the game is actually about ... i mean do u just pick different characters each time you die?...whats the deal with if you die the game keeps going? neone help clear this up for me?
 05-22-2009, 09:42 AM         #90
TriangleOffense  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 adadfalife607 said:
cant wait for this s**t to come out...i still dont have any idea of what the game is actually about ... i mean do u just pick different characters each time you die?...whats the deal with if you die the game keeps going? neone help clear this up for me?
the main story is based on 4 characters if one dies they are removed from the story and you contiue playing using one of the other main story lines each death and or choice will alter the way the game plays including the ending and the length of the game
 05-22-2009, 09:57 AM         #91
adadfalife607  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^thanks man...clears it up for me...this game should be epic...i mean just from watching that taxidermist gameplay that s**ts nuts...cant wait for this to drop
 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM         #92
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DO NOT WANT

05-22-2009, 10:24 AM         #93
adadfalife607  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^ DO NOT CARE

05-22-2009, 10:57 AM         #94
88'  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TriangleOffense said:
s3x violence nudity 4 seperate stories but... the last thing the douche said was "coming next year exclusively on the PS3"

boo @ next year if that is right
I don't know, I can't see this game coming out next year if it's just now having a media blowout (whatever you call it) and add to the fact we are just now learning about the story . I don't think David Cage would let all this info out if they were still more than 6+ months away from the release.
 9 years ago '06        #95
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
LMAO @ how on GTTV last night, dude asked how many endings the game had and the producer was like "Uh..uh...well it's up to you! You're the writer, the producer, blah blah" Quit popping that bullsh*t and just say you don't know or you don't want to tell. Also that fake Neo looking detective's voice acting was so bad it was actually funny. I can definitely wait for this game now; GTTV got me much less excited for it. (Did they really say that the graphics were on k!llzone 2's level? With those jagged a.ss faces and plain textures? Are they kidding?)

Last edited by jayvivz; 05-22-2009 at 02:56 PM..
 05-22-2009, 11:35 PM         #96
TriangleOffense  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jayvivz said:
LMAO @ how on GTTV last night, dude asked how many endings the game had and the producer was like "Uh..uh...well it's up to you! You're the writer, the producer, blah blah" Quit popping that bullsh*t and just say you don't know or you don't want to tell. Also that fake Neo looking detective's voice acting was so bad it was actually funny. I can definitely wait for this game now; GTTV got me much less excited for it. (Did they really say that the graphics were on k!llzone 2's level? With those jagged a.ss faces and plain textures? Are they kidding?)
the guy was a moron and Uncharted looked better than k!llzone IMO but im not a graphics wh0ore its the game I want
 05-23-2009, 08:34 AM         #97
DarkSidesHero  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jayvivz said:
If you couldn't comprehend, there will be MULTIPLE endings. Survive with all 4 characters thatll be 1 ending, 3 will another, 2 another, 1 another. Then it all depends on which characters are alive that will give you a certain ending.

And yes, this game graphics are up there on KZ2 level. Idk what kinda of amazing textures your expecting to see in a junkyard with mud n rain.

As for the police dude acting. Was aight. Wasn't over done which is good. Gotta remember that this cop is doped up on drugs aswell so maybe thats why he talks the way he does.

Last edited by DarkSidesHero; 05-23-2009 at 08:39 AM..
 9 years ago '06        #98
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
$14,081 | Props total: 39 39

New Gameplay part as some cop guy. Pretty sick.
 9 years ago '06        #99
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
 DarkSidesHero said:
1.) If you couldn't comprehend, there will be MULTIPLE endings. Survive with all 4 characters thatll be 1 ending, 3 will another, 2 another, 1 another. Then it all depends on which characters are alive that will give you a certain ending.

2.) And yes, this game graphics are up there on KZ2 level. Idk what kinda of amazing textures your expecting to see in a junkyard with mud n rain.

3.) As for the police dude acting. Was aight. Wasn't over done which is good. Gotta remember that this cop is doped up on drugs aswell so maybe thats why he talks the way he does.
1.) If you couldn't comprehend, I was only laughing at the way the guy responded to the question of how many endings it would exactly have.

2.) How about the textures on the vehicles and the actual people? Jaggies all over edges=not crute. It looks like Fallout 3, but smoother. You'd think given the fact that it's basically another interactive movie like Indigo Prophecy they'd work on better talking animations and stepping up the frame rate (ironic that when there's heavy rain on screen is when the frame rate stutters the most. ) But I shouldn't have expected anything that great or taken anyone's word that this game would look more amazing than any other game given the way people say Uncharted actually has the best graphics this gen.

3.) Didn't ask. Just think the voice acting is crappy.
 9 years ago '06        #100
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
Why the hell is this thread stickied? Game is far from release.

As someone who has only recently come to possess a PlayStation 3, I have paid almost no attention to Heavy Rain. Creating anticipation in myself for a game for which I do not have the hardware generally holds little appeal. So it was with an open mind and very few expectations that I found myself with the opportunity to experience the first hands-on demonstration of the title back in April.

I was completely unprepared for what I was going to witness. Quantic Dream's long-running project is one of the most intriguing and exciting prospects I have seen in years. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to see and play a brief scene of the game as well as sit down with lead designer David Cage to gain further insight on the project.

And now it is my honor to tell you all about it. Hit the jump to find out what I've been positively dying to say for over a month now.

Heavy Rain is truly unique. It feels similar in some ways to the adventure games of old and bears more than a passing similarity to Quantic Dream's previous game, Indigo Prophecy. When I asked David Cage what Heavy Rain was attempting to be, he referred to it as, "an emotional journey."

"Story is the core essence of the experience that we're trying to create where in most games the story is just the kind of layer that puts the levels together," he clarified. "Once you decide that story is the core engine of your games, well, it makes you make decisions as to how to play the story. You need to build characters, you need to create difficult situations, you need to create moral choices for the player that won't be black and white that will be really difficult to answer. We want players to ask themselves, 'What would I do if it were happening to me?' and the answer [not be] obvious."

Our gameplay demo revolved around Norman Jayder, a 29 year-old FBI profiler. He has a nasty drug addiction he has kept a secret for years and is trying to rid himself of. His investigation into the Origami k!ller has led him to Mad Jack, a fence for stolen cars who is believed to have sold a vehicle found at the most recent crime scene to the serial murderer.

Norman is the first to be revealed of the four primary characters in Heavy Rain. We have been told that information on the other characters will be released one at a time as we get closer to the game's release.

The demonstration began with Norman exiting his car and walking through the auto-wrecking yard. From the very first moment, the visuals are jaw-droppingly good. Norman's animations are highly fluid with crisp and detailed textures. Realistic rain pelts the character and the ground, giving an odd beauty to what is a grimy and inhospitable environment. It is truly a feast for the eyes.

As Norman walked, we were shown the game's "thought system." At any time, a player can see topics that are currently on their character's mind and listen to what those thoughts are. These appear in the form of 3D animated boxes which float around the character containing a keyword and the specific button the player can press to hear more. The game's dialogue trees function in this same way.

What's interesting about this mechanic is that it is designed to represent the character's emotional state as well as what they are thinking about. In the example we were shown, the prompts moved lazily around Norman because he was calm. When confused or anxious, the prompts may move quickly or erratically. They may blur or become otherwise difficult to select. This could result in a player inadvertently saying something that they might not have meant to say, just as people often do in real life.

"In most games, you go through very basic emotions," Cage commented to me later. "You go through frustration, excitement, competition... these are the kinds of emotions you feel playing most games. There are a couple of exceptions but when you look at movies or literature or theater, you get a wider range of emotions. Even art in general. You can feel sad looking at a painting or you can laugh watching a theater or you can feel empathy for a character or you can feel pity. In games we have failed to trigger these emotions so far. We've really stayed with very primary emotions."

The potential for creating a unique experience using a system like this is considerable. Conceptually, it goes beyond the standard idea of a dialogue tree by helping the player identify more closely with how the character feels, further immersing them in their personal story.

Moving forward, our hosts walked Norman into a garage where we are first introduced to Mad Jack. The man is a huge, terrifying individual who physically would make 50 Cent look like Will Smith. After an exchange of unpleasantries between the agent and the fence, Mad Jack leaves allowing Norman to search the garage for evidence that the car had been here. To do this, Norman equips a special tool called an Added Reality Interface (ARI).

The ARI is a prototype investigative tool consisting of a pair of glasses and a glove containing delicate sensors. Wearing the glasses allows Norman to see things such as faded footprints or trace amounts of chemicals and blood that would be invisible to the eye. Touching these bits of potential evidence with the glove will analyze them and display information in the lenses of the glasses (represented to the player via HUD).

After examining a few objects in the environment, Norman focuses his attention on a set of footprints and a trail of blood which suggests someone was dragged into an acid bath. Investigating the bath turns up a human skull and the sound of a pistol being c*cked as Mad Jack places a gun to the back of Norman's head. Realizing that he's been found out, the k!ller has decided to dispose of the troublesome Fed and begins walking him to the back of the garage.

As Norman is being led at gunpoint, a button prompt appears and the G-man feigns tripping on a board in order to grab a wrench from the floor. Swinging upward, Norman knocks the gun from Mad Jack's hand and a brawl ensues. This action sequence takes the form of a quick-time event but differs from most games which use the mechanic in a couple of fundamental ways.

While QTEs are usually designed in such a way that the player must successfully complete the sequence perfectly to progress, Heavy Rain does not necessarily require absolute precision. Failure to execute the correct action won't end a sequence but instead result in a different animation, further personalizing the experience. There is still risk, however, as failing too frequently or at the wrong time could bring a character's life to a premature end.

In addition to the possibilities opened up by a more liberal view of success and failure, action sequences also have multiple options available to the player. More than one possible action prompt will sometimes be available with differing results. These can be as simple as button presses or could involve specific motions of the analog sticks and even motion controls.

I asked David Cage why this style was used. "Because the idea is a very interesting one," he replied. "It's about the fact that what matters in an action sequence is not where you go but it's the timing and the move that you do. Can you do the right thing in the right timing? What quick-time events do is interesting and it's consistent with this type of action. It's how we do it that is important. It's the implementation."

The implementation is quite interesting, indeed. QTEs are often used to generate a sense of risk or tension but the straightfowardness of the standard success/failure conditions essentially boil down to the same experience every time you encounter the format. The use of the mechanic in Heavy Rain is significantly more intense because the sequences wind up feeling more realistic, more open to possibility. death could still come at any moment but the uncertainty engendered by this play style keeps you more on your toes while seeming infinitely more fair at the same time.

The f!ght moves all around the garage, across the top of a car and ends with Mad Jack crashing into a pile of barrels along a wall. The tables turned, Norman pulls his own firearm and begins interrogating the prone murderer. Dialogue prompts begin to move with keywords representing various techniques the agent can choose to convince Mad Jack to tell him what he knows about the Origami k!ller.

Options range from offering to ignore other transgressions to threatening the thug's life. The conversational choices feel very organic and flow into one another well. The resulting experience is very different depending on the tactics used. For example, the demonstrator took us through a series of several prompts that eventually ended the conversation in success. When I had the opportunity to try it for myself, I took the more aggressive route of wasting no time in idle chit-chat and just fired a round over the bad guy's shoulder to show I meant business.

As Norman is preparing to cuff Mad Jack and take him away, his vision begins to blur. He's suffering from withdrawal of the drug to which he is addicted. In order to maintain focus, prompt after prompt appears on the screen, commanding that multiple buttons be held down. Triggers, face buttons and d-pad are all used and the number of buttons quickly grows to encompass most of the controller. The difficult -- though I'm told, possible -- maneuver reflects panic in the character exceptionally well, as failing either to hit the next correct button of the sequence in time or accidentally releasing one of the prior buttons causes Norman to collapse on the ground and fall unconscious, the screen fading to black.

When the lights come back on, Norman is inside his car with his hands cuffed to the steering wheel. The car is being carried to the crusher in a crane by Mad Jack. Prompts appear offering options to attempt escape. Moving the Sixaxis upward makes Norman tug on the cuffs.

Eventually, the agent attempts to open the glovebox with his foot, accidentally turning the radio on before succeeding and revealing the spare pistol stored within. Another kick and the gun is on the dash and sliding across the car to Norman's waiting hand. Now armed, he twists his arm and shoots the cuffs to break them and begins to climb out the open driver's side window as the car is dropped in the crusher.

In the presentation of this scene, Norman manages to get out of the car. This was not the case when I played through. In the interests of both time and a desire to see a different conclusion, we allowed Norman to become ground up with the splintering shards of his vehicle in my hands-on play. The result was a visceral, gruesome sight as he disappeared feet first into the grinding gears of the crusher.

Were I playing the final release of Heavy Rain, that would have been the end of Norman Jayder. The remainder of the story would take place without his involvement or perspective on events. This encounter takes place around the midpoint of the game and, prior to this point, characters are not placed in a position where consequences may be fatal.

"What we want to do is build the characters, build your relationship with them, create empathy and get you to a stage where you really care about them," Cage explains. "The idea is to have a real emotional impact. I mean, you will be really scared of losing them. If you lose them, you will be really sad but the story will move on."

The presentation continued for a bit beyond where I was able to play, as Norman escapes the car. A look at the cabin of the still-moving crane finds it to be empty and Mad Jack nearly gets the jump on the beleaguered agent. Another brief scuffle follows with Mad Jack ultimately crushed beneath the treads of his crane with a satisfying crunch, ending the scene.

I can honestly say that I've never before seen anything quite like Heavy Rain. The title was still yet to reach the alpha stage of testing as of when I had the chance to play it and clearly had a few bugs (I was told, in fact, that creation of the entire scene occurred only within the three weeks leading up to the preview event). The potential is staggering however, with a clear emphasis on getting inside the heads of the four protagonists and fully immersing the player in their stories.

As I mentioned in the introduction to this post, I really had very little idea what this game was going to be like. And, at this point, that may still largely be the case as this is only a small sliver with a lot more information and demonstrations likely to come. The techniques being implemented by Quantic Dream are presenting a lot of new ideas and opportunities to take us closer to characters than ever before and this is clearly a PlayStation 3 exclusive that everyone should be paying close attention to as development progresses.
-Destructoid
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
89 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy