How do producers make beats?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
78 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
10 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
50 Cent Says Jay Z Will Fail In Boxing Promotion....and he was right
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
208 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-22-2009, 10:39 AM         #1
11295 pageviews
23 comments

oski369 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How do producers make beats?

How exactly do producers make music. Do they just take a bunch of different melodys from other songs and put them together? Do they just make sounds with a comp? What programs do they use?

23 comments for "How do producers make beats?"

9 years ago '04        #2
UF4Soldier 127 heat pts127
space
space
$18,889 | Props total: 4400 4400
I like to lay the drums down first, then I Start just playing away on the keyboard. If I catch good melody, Ill just stick with and find the best sound for the loop I just created(and make my bridge and hook melodys)sh*t gets fustrating at times. Its not science, but if your heart aint there dont fu*k with it.

Heres a free beat I put up for n*ggas to use.

Stay Motivated

As for sounds

50,000 drums, Fantom,Motif,Triton,Hypersonic,Korg MI, and a bunch of loops I have yet to use.

Last edited by UF4Soldier; 02-22-2009 at 11:17 AM..
 9 years ago '05        #3
sleezy 
space
space
$5,346 | Props total: 1146 1146
i like to come up wit a tempo and melody first then drums then add sh*t as u go along..but they usually fux wit "mpc's, and if a computer program mostly reasons then fl studip
 9 years ago '08        #4
Nut-In-Honeys 10 heat pts10
space
space
$6,025 | Props total: 5810 5810
they sample an old record and put different baseline behind it
original (aka Flintstones):

sampled (aka Simpsons):

another jacking (aka Family Guy)
 9 years ago '04        #5
space
space
Im not to good on the samples, when I try to play over them i get way off key. I tried to fu*k with the MP2000xl a few years ago, sh*t was mad confusing. I wish I had took my time to learn it.
 9 years ago '04        #6
space
space
 Nut-In-Honeys said:
they sample an old record and put different baseline behind it
original (aka Flintstones):

sampled (aka Simpsons):

another jacking (aka Family Guy)
sh*t that Prodigy sh*t sound exactly like Joe Budden-I couldnt help it. I know it was prodigys first but sh*t sound mad similar. Someone check it and let me know if my ears are deceiving me.
 9 years ago '04        #7
Ea$e 
space
space
$6,409 | Props total: 424 424
There are a lot of ways to make a beat.....

It's more an ear for what sounds good that sets producers apart.
 9 years ago '05        #8
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,174 | Props total: 11696 11696
 oski369 said:
How exactly do producers make music. Do they just take a bunch of different melodys from other songs and put them together? Yes. Do they just make sounds with a comp?Yes. What programs do they use?A lot.
 9 years ago '05        #9
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,312 | Props total: 867 867
 oski369 said:
How exactly do producers make music. Do they just take a bunch of different melodys from other songs and put them together? Do they just make sounds with a comp? What programs do they use?
<---------------
 9 years ago '04        #10
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,272 | Props total: 273 273
These days a lot of people use computers and software to make beats. It started off as sampling from old songs and chopping them up, rearranging sh*t to create a new melody and beat.

I personally start mine from scratch 99% of the time (I sampled 1 time). I get more creative like that.

Basically, you got drum sounds (kicks, snares, hats, etc.), and you got midi categories (piano, strings, bass, synths, etc) and different sounds in each of those categories. It's up to the beatmaker to decide how they start off a beat. I usually start off with a melody and snares, then I build off of that. Check out my beats in my sig.
 9 years ago '08        #11
N/A 2 heat pts
space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
 UF4Soldier said:
Im not to good on the samples, when I try to play over them i get way off key. I tried to fu*k with the MP2000xl a few years ago, sh*t was mad confusing. I wish I had took my time to learn it.
I had trouble with that too, but heres a tip.... Filter the sample so that you have JUST the bass of your loop left, and play your strings or whatever to the same tune of the bass. Works like a charm.

And as for making beats, I like to start off with one certain instrument in mind if its original, figure out what kind of beat it would sound hot on, and build from there. If I'm sampling though, I'll figure out exactly what I want to sample from the song, match it to the tempo it sounds best at, chop it up if need be, and just add to it, like some heavy drums, a nice deep bass line and some additional instrumentation if I can fit it in there. Check my sh*t out in my sig.
 9 years ago '04        #12
kreuzberg61 20 heat pts20
space
space
$3,227 | Props total: 133 133
depends... might start of with a certain drum pattern, or a melody, or some chords or just any type of groove... 1000 ways to make a record, really
 02-22-2009, 02:13 PM         #13
IRemainRaw  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
50,000 drums, Fantom,Motif,Triton,Hypersonic,Korg MI, and a bunch of loops I have yet to use.

I could never bring myself to use break loops,id feel dirty lol
 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM         #14
allstar32  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think its amazing to have the talent to know what sounds sound the best together..........listening to this Quarantine Wave, the boy Young Los and Dame Grease are perfect examples..........from the bassline to the hats to the melody
 02-22-2009, 06:42 PM         #15
Motivated  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man my drum patterns suck when i try to make a beat LOL.....i got one hot drum pattern though...but i don't know how much other instruments to put to it..i threw a piano in there...and the beat sounded plain as fu*k when i tried to rap over it.

i guess i need at least 4 to 5 instruments other than the drum to make it sound better so i can drop some vocals over it .......i suck at making beats lol
 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM         #16
GhostDigga  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1 of 2 ways. Lay a drum pattern down, find a sample, tune it to the same speed as the drums, then improve.

Or just find a sample first and do it vice versa.
 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM         #17
GhostDigga  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 joeyb8420 said:
i dunno they learn i wanna learn so i can make crazy beats like timbaland or dre thatd be sick thats my dream sh*ts hard to be good at it though
Learning is secondary to natural talent. You can learn and be a good beatmaker, but if you don't have that natural ability you won't be a good producer.
 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM         #18
Twista740  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 oski369 said:
let me help u wit that...

9 years ago '04        #19
space
space
 Twista740 said:
let me help u wit that...

lol I never seen that sh*t
 9 years ago '04        #20
Ea$e 
space
space
$6,409 | Props total: 424 424
 Tommy_Bunz said:
man my drum patterns suck when i try to make a beat LOL.....i got one hot drum pattern though...but i don't know how much other instruments to put to it..i threw a piano in there...and the beat sounded plain as fu*k when i tried to rap over it.

i guess i need at least 4 to 5 instruments other than the drum to make it sound better so i can drop some vocals over it .......i suck at making beats lol
Drums are the most important part. Once you get the right vibe, everything falls into place.

It helps me to beat box as I make beats to kinda give me a pattern/idea before I start blinding recording.

It also helps to listen, study, and pay attention to the orchestration and construction of other n*ggaz beats. When I first started out, I paid attention to my favorite beats of the moment. Studied how they were constructed from beginning to end, when the different instruments come in, where they're "set" (pan wise), etc etc etc

It's all a big puzzle until you GET it...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
48 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
62 comments
22 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
101 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy