Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Did this nigga meek just have the audacity to make a post about winning
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe100 Clowning Beanie Sigel For Jumping Sides. Riding With Game
87 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sep 26 - Presidential Debate: Trump vs Clinton [LIVE Stream + Discussi..
1939 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside TMZ: Video of beanie getting knocked out and meek crew take credit
232 comments
@misc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM         #1
7511 pageviews
193 comments

JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets

Science’s quest to discover life on Mars has so far failed to find even one little green man.

But not to worry. Aliens could be alive and well on almost 40,000 other planets.

Researchers have calculated that up to 37,964 worlds in our galaxy are hospitable enough to be home to creatures at least as intelligent as ourselves.

Astrophysicist Duncan Forgan created a computer programme that collated all the data on the 330 or so planets known to man and worked out what proportion would have conditions suitable for life.

The estimate, which took into account factors such as temperature and availability of water and minerals, was then extrapolated across the Milky Way.

Three scenarios of how life could develop were also taken into account.

The first - that it is difficult for life to form but easy for it to evolve - concluded there are at least 361 planets harbouring intelligent life. The second, which a.ssumed that life is easily formed but struggles to develop further, came up with a total of 31,513.

The third scenario, which a.ssumes that life can be passed from planet to planet with the help of asteroids, saw the total rocket to almost 38,000, the Journal of Astrobiology reports.

What is more, these lifeforms would not be mere amoeba wriggling on the end of a microscope but fully-fledged aliens, because the scientists' definition of intelligent life is a species at least as advanced as humans.

Mr Forgan, who believes it will take 300 to 400 years for us to make contact with our far away neighbours, said: 'I believe the estimate of 361 intelligent civilisations to be the most accurate.

'These would certainly be the most Earth-like civilisations but the bigger figures are certainly possible. We can't rule them out.

'Most of the other planets we have looked at are older than our own - so I would expect to see more advanced civilisations than ours existing.'

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

http://www.dailymail.co.u .. .html?ITO=1490

193 comments for "Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets"

8 years ago '07        #2
2D.... 3 heat pts
space
space
$8,031 | Props total: 1 1
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM         #3
stepyourgameup 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Except that's 361 spread out over the vastness of the universe.
 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM         #4
DnSouth28 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Very possible but its not like any of us will be alive in 300-400 years to find out.
 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM         #5
likeatalltree 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 stepyourgameup said:
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
 8 years ago '07        #6
kiid 3 heat pts
space
space
$535 | Props total: 0 0
 likeatalltree said:
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
better yet, does it end?
 8 years ago '04        #7
space
space
$6,171 | Props total: 100 100
I noticed you like space and dinosaur sh*t a lot
 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM         #8
AlBundysfingers 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
whats wrong with likin scientific articles?
 8 years ago '04        #9
space
space
$6,171 | Props total: 100 100
Nothin at all....I'm just sayin. I actually like this sh*t better than most articles posted on here.
 8 years ago '08        #10
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,350 | Props total: 384 384
Ditto^^^ hurm
 8 years ago '06        #11
servesurite 36 heat pts36
space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 157 157
 123456 said:
this n*gga
 02-04-2009, 11:00 PM         #12
JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 123456 said:
word man. this section is full of bullsh*t. gotta change it up around here
 8 years ago '04        #13
P Squared™ 
space
space
$1,413 | Props total: 0 0
 2D.... said:
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
 8 years ago '05        #14
steeLTown 138 heat pts138
space
space
$22,968 | Props total: 329 329
awesome
 02-05-2009, 01:58 AM         #15
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2D.... said:

Stop being stupid. It's pretty much scientific fact that Intelligent Life outside of Earth exists.

It HAS to. Logic itself would be defied if there wasn't.

Pick up a book and learn. We are nowhere near as special as you like to think we are. You're just arrogant.
 02-05-2009, 01:59 AM         #16
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P Squared™ said:
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
Are you that arrogant that you think "Meeting the human race" would be high up on the to-do list of an intelligent race at the other side of universe?
 8 years ago '04        #17
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
space
$1,874 | Props total: 0 0
 stepyourgameup said:
i think they are saying it's THAT MANY just in OUR GALAXY ALONE.
 8 years ago '04        #18
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
space
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.

Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:06 AM..
 02-05-2009, 02:18 AM         #19
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ABSOLUTE STYLE said:
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
 8 years ago '04        #20
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
space
 r a n c i d said:
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
you might be right i just started listenin to it but it's been good lately. besides i'm just turnin people heads to show it's on every night about this. that show 2 nights ago where they had this guy on and talked about how he believes people's souls live 100's of lives, and he cures peoples illnesses by hypnotizing people and the soul responds and speaks of lifetimes before the person itself, and then cures those people of their physical and mental pain in the process. of course it's far from what one normally believes but it's very intriguing.

Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:51 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Vado shares pic of incarcerated Loon
123 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The stars that aged well, are? And the stars that didn't age well, are?
112 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Well Damn DRAKE - PLEASE FORGIVE ME Video out now non apple link come i..
127 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Waka Flocka Flame Responds To Gucci Mane's Hot 97 Interview
156 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx One gotta go for good
55 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Top 10 Amazing Video Games That Never Got A Sequel
71 comments
24 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
audio inside Lloyd Banks x DJ Drama | All or Nothing: Live It Up (Official Download/..
257 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside The Daily Show - Tomi Lahren's Anger Lights Facebook on Fire ~ Evil ..
76 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy