Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets

most viewed right now
 95
Image(s) inside "I realized at that moment that I was not truly loved by this man"
29 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 38
OT Top 10 Athletes Who Are Rumored To Be Gay
93 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 37
Image(s) inside Dr. Sebi's Hair Follicle Fortifier Gone Horribly Wrong
120 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 30
NCAAB UK VS UCLA (GAME THREAD) #BallGang
694 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM         #1
7642 pageviews
193 comments


JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets
 

 

Science’s quest to discover life on Mars has so far failed to find even one little green man.

But not to worry. Aliens could be alive and well on almost 40,000 other planets.

Researchers have calculated that up to 37,964 worlds in our galaxy are hospitable enough to be home to creatures at least as intelligent as ourselves.

Astrophysicist Duncan Forgan created a computer programme that collated all the data on the 330 or so planets known to man and worked out what proportion would have conditions suitable for life.

The estimate, which took into account factors such as temperature and availability of water and minerals, was then extrapolated across the Milky Way.

Three scenarios of how life could develop were also taken into account.

The first - that it is difficult for life to form but easy for it to evolve - concluded there are at least 361 planets harbouring intelligent life. The second, which a.ssumed that life is easily formed but struggles to develop further, came up with a total of 31,513.

The third scenario, which a.ssumes that life can be passed from planet to planet with the help of asteroids, saw the total rocket to almost 38,000, the Journal of Astrobiology reports.

What is more, these lifeforms would not be mere amoeba wriggling on the end of a microscope but fully-fledged aliens, because the scientists' definition of intelligent life is a species at least as advanced as humans.

Mr Forgan, who believes it will take 300 to 400 years for us to make contact with our far away neighbours, said: 'I believe the estimate of 361 intelligent civilisations to be the most accurate.

'These would certainly be the most Earth-like civilisations but the bigger figures are certainly possible. We can't rule them out.

'Most of the other planets we have looked at are older than our own - so I would expect to see more advanced civilisations than ours existing.'

[pic - click to view]





[pic - click to view]

 http://www.dailymail.co.u .. .html?ITO=1490

193 comments for "Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets"

 8 years ago '07        #2
2D.... 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$8,031 | Props total: 1 1
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM         #3
stepyourgameup  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Except that's 361 spread out over the vastness of the universe.
 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM         #4
DnSouth28  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Very possible but its not like any of us will be alive in 300-400 years to find out.
 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM         #5
likeatalltree  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 stepyourgameup said:
Except that's 361 spread out over the vastness of the universe.
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
 8 years ago '07        #6
kiid 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$535 | Props total: 0 0
 likeatalltree said:
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
better yet, does it end?
 8 years ago '04        #7
123456 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,215 | Props total: 177 177
I noticed you like space and dinosaur sh*t a lot
 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM         #8
AlBundysfingers  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
whats wrong with likin scientific articles?
 8 years ago '04        #9
123456 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,215 | Props total: 177 177
Nothin at all....I'm just sayin. I actually like this sh*t better than most articles posted on here.
 8 years ago '08        #10
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$5,526 | Props total: 575 575
Ditto^^^ hurm
 8 years ago '06        #11
servesurite 38 heat pts38
space
avatar space
space
$8,979 | Props total: 494 494
 123456 said:
I noticed you like space and dinosaur sh*t a lot
this n*gga
 02-04-2009, 11:00 PM         #12
JerseyLegend  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 123456 said:
I noticed you like space and dinosaur sh*t a lot
word man. this section is full of bullsh*t. gotta change it up around here
 8 years ago '04        #13
P Squared™ 
space
avatar space
space
$1,413 | Props total: 0 0
 2D.... said:
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
 02-05-2009, 01:58 AM         #14
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2D.... said:
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
Stop being stupid. It's pretty much scientific fact that Intelligent Life outside of Earth exists.

It HAS to. Logic itself would be defied if there wasn't.

Pick up a book and learn. We are nowhere near as special as you like to think we are. You're just arrogant.
 02-05-2009, 01:59 AM         #15
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P Squared™ said:
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
Are you that arrogant that you think "Meeting the human race" would be high up on the to-do list of an intelligent race at the other side of universe?
 8 years ago '04        #16
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
avatar space
space
$1,876 | Props total: 1 1
 stepyourgameup said:
Except that's 361 spread out over the vastness of the universe.
i think they are saying it's THAT MANY just in OUR GALAXY ALONE.
 8 years ago '04        #17
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
avatar space
space
$1,876 | Props total: 1 1
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.


Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:06 AM..
 02-05-2009, 02:18 AM         #18
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ABSOLUTE STYLE said:
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
 8 years ago '04        #19
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
avatar space
space
$1,876 | Props total: 1 1
 r a n c i d said:
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
you might be right i just started listenin to it but it's been good lately. besides i'm just turnin people heads to show it's on every night about this. that show 2 nights ago where they had this guy on and talked about how he believes people's souls live 100's of lives, and he cures peoples illnesses by hypnotizing people and the soul responds and speaks of lifetimes before the person itself, and then cures those people of their physical and mental pain in the process. of course it's far from what one normally believes but it's very intriguing.


Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:51 AM..
 02-05-2009, 02:55 AM         #20
r a n c i d  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ABSOLUTE STYLE said:
you might be right i just started listenin to it but it's been good lately. besides i'm just turnin people heads to show it's on every night about this. that show 2 nights ago where they had this guy on and talked about how he believes people's souls live 100's of lives, and he cures peoples illnesses by hypnotizing people and the soul responds and speaks of lifetimes before the person itself, and then cures those people of their physical and mental pain in the process. of course it's far from what one normally believes but it's very intriguing.
That's what i mean. There's alot of far out claims with no evidence for them.

And by linking stories like this, which are the result of merit worthy scientific and mathematical work, to C2C, you're discrediting it; without knowing.

Because some fu*ks will read this thread. Bible bashers or someone, i don't know, they'll see your link, then their ignorance will lead them to determine the article in itself is a conspiracy...

That's how closed minds work.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 21
Video inside So There's a New Trendy Bra
100 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside Houston Girls Love The Way It Goes Down
22 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 9
britney spears s3xtape leaks - her people claim its fake
137 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 8
Video inside The Truth About your Birth Certificate! Smh
52 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 6
Mar 23 - 1 in 3 Americans can't come up with $2,000—here's how much you should..
105 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 6
Kirby with human feet is hilarious.
49 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 5
audio inside WORLD PREMIERE: Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Pt. 4
521 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 5
New Rolex released at Basel
39 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy