Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
73 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

What did you think?
Definite 'Do Not See' 3 2.65%
Was Disappointed 6 5.31%
Alright 10 8.85%
Pretty Good 47 41.59%
Amazing!; Will Buy The DVD! 47 41.59%
Voters: 113. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 12-12-2008, 05:31 AM         #1
6630 pageviews
50 comments

tartanflip34 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Gran Torino (2008)

Walt Kowalski is a widower, grumpy, tough-minded, borderline-hateful, unhappy old man who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1973 Gran Torino he keeps in cherry condition. When his neighbor Tao, a young Hmong teenager, tries to steal his Gran Torino, Kowalski sets out to reform the youth. Drawn against his will into the life of Tao's family, Kowalski is soon taking steps to protect them form the gangs that foul their neighborhood.

Trailer-
[pic - click to view]

http://movies.yahoo.com/m .. 038822/trailer

Running Time: 1 hr. 56 min.

MPAA Rating: R for language throughout and some violence

Starring: Clint Eastwood, Cory Hardrict, Doua Moua, Brian Haley and Bee Vang.

Directed by: Clint Eastwood.

50 comments for "Gran Torino (2008)"

12-12-2008, 08:40 AM         #2
DJ_critikaL  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I was skeptical at first (expecting no more than a 4/10), but I was very much drawn towards the story soon after. This is one of the year's best without a doubt, and the hypes have most definitely lived up to their potentials, and not just because he's Eastwood. It's not a perfect film, in fact I think some parts could have used improvement, namely the acting from the minor characters. With that said, I thought Clint was phenomenal, not the growling unlikable old fart that some people have claimed. The performance by Ahney Her should be one to note down as well, who I thought did a superb job. Bee Vang was also pretty decent. Right now, I'm waiting for the movie to sink in for a minute, and it will take me a couple of days to really determine where it should be in my Best Picture lineup. Again, it is a flawed film in some minor aspects, but the story is incredibly captivating, and that's where I think will score points at during the Oscar nominations. It's a small film which packs a strong emotional punch that will surely win over quite a few people from Academy. Eastwood will get that acting nod, you bet.

So.. my nominations so far.

Best Picture
I have it lined up in my Top 7 as of now. I can't make up my mind yet, but I can tell you that the film probably made the biggest emotional impact on me out of all the films I've seen this year, and will likely end up somewhere in my Top 5 somewhere in a couple of days given enough thought.

Best Director
For the sake of it, I'll give the man an A- for directing, mainly for turning such a down to earth, simple story into something so heartfelt and sincere. My #7 (expected to go up with rewatches).

Best Actor: Clint Eastwood
Alright, I don't know who to choose between Eastwood and Langella now, so I will tie them at #1 of the year. Clint was surprisingly good and I felt a lot of sympathy for his character.

Best Supporting Actress: Ahney Her
Placed at my #5 at the moment.

Best Original Screenplay: Nick Schenk
Impressive dialogue overall. My #3 behind Happy-Go-Lucky (#1) and In Bruges (#2).

Best Original Score
You'll hear these brief soft and contemplative piano riffs throughout the film, and they moved me quite a bit. My #6, just out of my lineup.

Best Original Song
Not the best singing by miles, but if you look at the context in which the song is written, it is interestingly a very deep and moving song (if you've seen the movie). I'll give it a nod.

Other categories worth noting:

Best Cinematography
As you can probably see from the trailer, the cinematography is nothing special, but the lighting in some of the scenes in the dark of the house parallels some of the inner demons of Walt, which I thought was exceptionally well done.

8.6/10

Last edited by DJ_critikaL; 12-12-2008 at 08:44 AM..
 9 years ago '04        #3
RAPSOURCE2003 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,218 | Props total: 17 17
Good movie, just seen it --------> oscar worthy
10 out of 10
 9 years ago '07        #4
LaVay 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$625 | Props total: 293 293
clint was good as usual, the other actors were pretty much garbage, to be polite.

really could have been a great film but those supporting actors, the asian brother & sister were just awful, or that "asian gang," jesus christ are you serious? i was cringing every time they came onto the screen...

and what was with the whole "way guys talk" bullsh*t...that was corny as sh*t
 9 years ago '05        #5
bluntednt 43 heat pts43
space
space
$8,275 | Props total: 0 0
 LaVay said:
really could have been a great film but those supporting actors, the asian brother & sister were just awful, or that "asian gang," jesus christ are you serious? i was cringing every time they came onto the screen...

I was thinking the same thing, the only Oscar I can imagine being won her is maybe Best Actor in a Lead Roll to Clint, other than that, the sh*t was trashy acting...Good story, horrible actors = so, so movie...and now I think we've all figured out where Christian Bale found his Batman voice from, Clint Eastwood
 12-18-2008, 12:08 AM         #6
*Missy*  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
One of best movies to come out this year iMO.
 9 years ago '05        #7
thaghost36 25 heat pts25
space
space
$2,256 | Props total: 341 341
the acting in this movie was terrible, besides clint eastwood of course and the asian girl. the story was good but overall i didnt enjoy this movie much.
 9 years ago '08        #8
Jeans&Sneakers 158 heat pts158
space
space
$4,354 | Props total: 1167 1167
one of the better movies ive seen this year, maybe even the best. the first 20mins i was like WTF is this sh*t. acting was pretty bad especially by the boy, however the story makes up for it.
8.3/10

Last edited by Jeans&Sneakers; 12-20-2008 at 05:23 AM..
 12-20-2008, 05:29 AM         #9
ViGiLo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Get off my lawn
 9 years ago '04        #10
GetOnMahLevel 
space
space
$5,488 | Props total: 104 104
"go get me another beer Dragon Lady.. this one's empty!"

hahahahahaha.. pretty good movie tho..
 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM         #11
Robby Digital  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ Asian gangsters..

9 years ago '04        #12
GoSensGo 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,817 | Props total: 454 454
Great movie, but I agree with the comments about the acting.. Clint was crazy as usual, but the rest were humiliatingly horrendous..

7.5 / 10

Seven Pounds is still movie of the year.
 12-28-2008, 01:18 AM         #13
DipSetSaddam  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Can't wait til this gets wide-released on Jan 9th...Clint is gonna fu*k up some punk Hmong wannabe gangsters. Those 4'5" a**holes have been asking for it if you ask me.

Every time I see the preview I'm like "YEAH! Punch that a**hole, shove that rifle in his face! Get the fu*k off my lawn!" Clint is the most badass 78 year old action hero there is.

Last edited by DipSetSaddam; 12-28-2008 at 01:20 AM..
 9 years ago '08        #14
AKMPLCE 34 heat pts34
space
space
$3,851 | Props total: 1097 1097
a great movie good call by clint eastwood for picking to do the role it wouldnt have fit many other actors....
 9 years ago '04        #15
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,408 | Props total: 685 685
pretty good, didnt expect it to be such a comical movie...
 9 years ago '05        #16
YoungerHov 
space
space
$667 | Props total: 11 11
 Robby Digital said:
@ Asian gangsters..

Your from NY and you don't know BTK? Maybe you've never been to CA, but they do things out here. They're just organized as hell.
 9 years ago '06        #17
Malcolm 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,129 | Props total: 1204 1204
This movie had a sh*tload of quotable lines.

I gave it a 10.
 12-30-2008, 03:55 PM         #18
Lamont Sanford  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dmxonline said:
Great movie, but I agree with the comments about the acting.. Clint was crazy as usual, but the rest were humiliatingly horrendous..

7.5 / 10

Seven Pounds is still movie of the year.
you've seen them both and still think seven pounds is betteR? you have to be fu*king retarded, your mother musta have done all sorts of sh*t through the pregnancy.
 9 years ago '04        #19
dj X 33 heat pts33
space
space
$18,737 | Props total: 6439 6439
just came back from watching it... pretty damn good movie, and very humorous, which i didnt expect.. well, worth the price of admission and i will definitely cop the blu ray when it drops in a few months...
 9 years ago '04        #20
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4329 4329
I think this was the perfect movie to be Clint Eastwood's last acting job. The ending was very symbolic for his career and racism in this country (despite what current events might have you believing).
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
125 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
19 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now