*OFFICIAL* Skate 2 thread...

most viewed right now
Jeezy – American Dream (ft. Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole)
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
188 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
29 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #1
12186 pageviews
322 comments

Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
*OFFICIAL* Skate 2 thread...

[If Tony Hawk 2 was the game that solidified that series, Skate 2 may function similarly for developer EA Black Box.

Of course this sequel provides the usual move updates, with one-foot plants, off-board running and other stylistic additions to the game's innovative, analog-based control scheme. The world has been predictably redesigned. And you can play as a chick now, too.

But there are also a few major additions that do a lot to open up the multiplayer experience--making this a serious sequel worth taking note of, rather than an obvious franchise cash-in.

As in the original Skate, up to six players can play simultaneously online. The "Freeskate Here" option allows players to instantly enter multiplayer, a la Burnout Paradise. An in-game menu will display friends that are available to invite to your freeskate, and after that, it's a matter of proposing a mode.

Probably the most eye-catching new mode is the Hall of Meat. Essentially, this mode mimics that physics-based "stair dismount" Porrasturvat game, and capitalizes on the hilariously painful Skate.reel videos that populated the internet following the first game's release. Players earn points for accumulating broken bones, scrapes and lacerations after intentionally "bailing" out of sky-scraping jumps.

It's an amusing mode, and should make for some excellent internet tape. But after playing it for a bit, I found that the Hall of Meat is definitely something that would be best suited to short stints, rather than long playsessions. It works well as a gore-filled palette cleanser, rather than a significant component.

Also new to Skate 2 are "Freeskate Activities," essentially co-op challenges that inject simple goals into casual freeskates. Each of the freeskate areas features several available challenges to propose. One example that I played was an accumulation challenge, which had myself and a friend attempting to amass 20,000 points in three minutes.

There are around 150 of these activities, and each will adjust in difficulty based on the number of players in the party. And as strange as it may seem, these simple challenges may be the most exciting addition to Skate 2. The ability to lounge around and skate cooperatively while completing random goals is pretty appealing in a lazy Sunday sort of way.

The "Create-a-spot" mode now allows you to move around anything from dumpsters to benches within an area to set up your own challenging "spots"--essentially gates that you must pass through while pulling off tricky moves in competition for points. To create a spot, you simply jump off your board and push each object around in the world. After you have a few dumpsters positioned, you place the gate--as large or small as you like--and set the area where the player will begin the run.

Where this spot creation mode really takes off is in the online sharing features. Players can upload their created spots, with each spot sporting its own leaderboard. Searching for spots will present tabs showing the top rated spots, spots created by your friends, and those created by you. When playing user-created spots, users can toggle a "ghost mode," which displays a ghost of the person that holds the top score on that particular spot.

Spot battles in general have been tweaked a bit. There are new "session" spots, which give you a set amount of time to accumulate points--or, in some cases, until you wipe out. As the spot battles are turn-based, and players are forced to watch each of their teammates, bored party members can now participate by rating their competitors' runs. The skater with the most votes will grab a few bonus points.

Skate.reel, the game's replay editor and video sharing website, has been improved both in-game and on the web. In the editing suite, players can now use the self-descriptive "follow" and "tripod" cameras to mix up their cuts. Uploading space is now determined based on overall length, so you'll be able to choose between uploading a lot of small clips, or a few large ones. An EA developer also a.ssured me that the website itself will be easier to log into this time, and will provide users with more search options.

Cash can be earned in multiplayer modes, which can then be spent during offline play. There will also be a graphics creator available online, that will let players import their custom graphics into the game for use on skateboards and other surfaces, though I didn't get a chance to take a look at it.

Unlike the first Skate, there will be some DLC released for Skate 2 in the future, though no details were shared. The developers also strongly hinted at a demo, and divulged that the game itself is essentially finished.

Skate 2 is a feature blast of a game. Skate veterans should find a lot to like here, not the least of which will be the supposedly improved netcode and framerate. And as someone who played the original Skate only enough to know that I enjoyed the basic gameplay, the extra multiplayer and creation modes included in Skate 2 may represent an unavoidable sequel.

Skate 2 is set to hit stores January 21 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.shacknews.com/ .. icle.x?id=1058

Last edited by Da Ill One; 12-09-2008 at 09:02 PM..

322 comments for "*OFFICIAL* Skate 2 thread..."

12-08-2008, 09:02 PM         #2
TriangleOffense 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
whooooooooooooooooooo whooooooooooooooooooooo
 9 years ago '04        #3
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602 OP
space
space
Shows off the entire map...got some sick a.ss looking spots to ride...

9 years ago '04        #4
space
space
This board looks crazy dope...Can't wait to pull some Hippy Jumps off some of these ramps...

9 years ago '04        #5
XxC4xX 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,773 | Props total: 251 251
sounds promising
 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM         #6
TriangleOffense 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i see some epic sessions going on in this game i cant figgin wait
 9 years ago '07        #7
Syringe|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$16,858 | Props total: 2375 2375
I saw this earlier on IGN and thought wow this looks extremely fun.

I'm coppin'
 9 years ago '07        #8
Syringe|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
Looks great. This game is capturing my hype!
 9 years ago '06        #9
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
I had no idea what skitching was until I went to the Skate 2 event last week; but now that I’ve seen it, I can’t live without it.

Skate 2 has gone all out on improving the physics from the first game for a more seamless skating experience. That means wall-kicks for faster turns in tight corners, movable objects within areas to create the ideal skate park on the go, and better ragdoll physics for amazing wipeouts on plastic water bottles. It also means grabbing the backs of cars (the aforementioned skitching), clotheslining other skaters and (my personal favorite) getting Tased by pedestrians.

Not that skateboarding is a violent sport (unless you count masochism as a form of violence), but I’m one of those jerks who doesn’t derive pleasure from racing, boating, biking, or skating unless I can ruin someone else’s day. The pedestrians in the first game were no fun – there were too few of them and they mostly just stood there and took it when you ran into them. Then they’d get back up and go about their daily lives as if I hadn’t just body-check their shins.

Skate 2 addresses this with its shiny new physics tweaks, allowing me to turn Freeskate mode into Pedestrian Harassment Funtime. I found about this glorious thing when Skate 2 Lead Designer Cuz confiscated my 360 controller to show his skating buddies their likenesses in the game. I wasn’t too annoyed, because there were chicks in the lineup of characters this time (all one of them – Sammy), but I guess my nostrils must’ve flared or something because Cuz gave it back and said, “Here – I’ll show you something cool. Go run into that guy over there.”

Never one to ignore the advice of a game designer, I tried to ram into a paper-carrying business man. I missed, hit the curb and jumped off my board by pressing Y. On foot, I turned around and ran headlong into the guy, making him stumble. A yellow blip appeared on the map in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

“Do it again,” said Cuz. “They get madder when you’re on your board.”

I pressed right trigger to call my board to me with what can best be described as The Force (so much for total realism of physics), and hippie jumped at the guy. The blip turned red and the pedestrian swore and threw his paper at me, causing me to wipe out.

“It gets better,” said Cuz. “Go find a chick – I think she’ll Taser you.”

And by God, she did. After I’d rail-ran into her, got her to throw her latte cup at me and had a nearby frat boy push me over, the lady got out her Taser and zapped the beejesus out of me while I lay on the ground, writhing. Cops will Taser you too, apparently. I found that out after I skitched off a car and face-planted directly on a mall cop down a flight of stairs.

I was going to try and find out if you could get three cops to Taser you at once, but the friendly PR lady convinced me to try out more of the game modes.

Career mode is what it sounds like. It’s a good way to get started, but Skate vets are going to want to jump right into the Xbox Live competitive modes or start making levels in Create-a-Spot (which also is what it sounds like). In addition to your basic race and challenge modes, the Live mode also features co-op challenges where you’re all trying to meet a specific goal either by working together to get a point average, or by completely ignoring each other and trying to do identical tricks.

The best example of a co-op challenge I saw all night was course where you had to manual through the whole thing – down the road, through the drainage pipe and off a huge drop to the ground below. Each skater had to hit every one of the yellow arrows that marked the trail, and if they missed one, or stopped manual-ing, they had to respawn at the beginning of the course – costing their teammates precious seconds off the two minute time limit.

All in all, everything I saw in Skate 2 looked pretty good – but I do have a few concerns. First, the PS3 version is at a disadvantage because the analog sticks feel looser to me. It just doesn’t feel right when you’re trying to flick the stick forward and back to do a nollie. I’m sure PS3 owners will adapt accordingly, but for a console-hopper like me, it’s a damn shame that there’s such an obvious disparity between the two platforms.

The second is the new tricks. Supposedly there’s double the amount of tricks from the first game, covering everything from foot-plants to hippie jumps. I wonder if adding so much more is a bad idea because half the appeal of Skate was the simplicity – everything to do with your board was mapped to the right analog stick and there’s not too, too much button pressing involved. But in Skate 2, the new physics make hand-plants and foot-plants possible in the middle of all kinds of moves. So you’re constantly pressing the face buttons and the shoulder buttons while trying to work the stick. The most hectic it got for me was trying to do a coffin in the middle of a high jump – I had to hold L2, R2, Square and X (on PS3 – I told you, I’m a console-hopper) and this is after having to flick the analog stick forward and then quickly back to get enough air for the jump. All that button pressing and stick waggling is a tall order, even if this were a Japanese action game; and if you hose one of the button presses and wipeout in the middle of nowhere, it really throws off the groove to have to trek back to where you want to be or press up on the D-pad to respawn at the beginning of the area.

The last thing that ground my gears was the product placement. Seriously – it’s obscene.

All three of these gripes drive home a point: Skate 2 is a game about speed. Anything that takes away from that (or distracts you from enjoying it – damn you Mountain Dew) is a nasty snag in an otherwise smooth experience.

Skate 2 is out for PS3 and 360 January 23, 2009.
-Kaptaku

i have nothing to say since i done said it all before. :applause: already one of my 2009 GOTY picks.
 9 years ago '06        #11
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
oh, and who the fu*k cares about product placement? seriously? is that even worth mentioning? "Mountain Dew ad at the bus stop as if it's a real world like the game is supposed to be!? i'm never touching this game again." fu*k outta here. if i see a Mountain Dew ad in Gears of War 2, then i'm gonna have a complaint, but Skate 2? that just adds to the realism of it. i like that sh*t.
 9 years ago '06        #12
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
demodemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemode modemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemodemo
 9 years ago '06        #13
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
i fu*kin love the new HUD
 9 years ago '04        #14
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
Is it worth it to pick up the first one even though the new one is only a few months away?

I wanted to play the original skate but never got around to it...wondering if i should pay 20 bucks and pick it up...
 9 years ago '06        #15
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
yea it's def worth the $20. and that's not just cuz i'm a Skate fanboy, but cuz i'd pay $20 for any good game that i never played before. and of course if you want Skate 2 it's a good starting point to get used to the game.
 9 years ago '06        #16
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space

9 years ago '04        #17
twizzytwo22 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,725 | Props total: 484 484
ya def pick up for 20 bucks, then u will be right in the swing of things for skate 2, plus it takes practice to be able to pull of the exact trick u want to do, instead of flickin the analog stick and seein what happens.
 12-09-2008, 12:49 PM         #18
TriangleOffense 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
there needs to be an official skate 2 thread half this main page is about skate ohh and thanks man keep the info coming
 9 years ago '04        #19
space
space
Saving space...

Last edited by Da Ill One; 12-09-2008 at 09:01 PM..
 9 years ago '07        #20
Syringe|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
:dancingcool:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
71 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
197 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
84 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
275 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
56 comments
1 day ago