Common - Universal Mind Control (2008)

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
68 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
260 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
76 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Rating (out of 5)
1 - 1.5 Mics 12 11.88%
2 - 2.5 Mics 18 17.82%
3 - 3.5 Mics 43 42.57%
4 - 4.5 Mics 23 22.77%
Classic 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #61
itsallcalypso1 
space
space
space
$432 | Props total: 0 0
Hot Songs:
Universal Mind Control
Punch Drunk Love
Announcement
Gladiator

Decent Songs:
Make My Day
Changes

The rest are pretty bad.

3/5 - very disappointing for Common
 12-06-2008, 01:33 PM         #62
BishopCol25 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
disappointed
 9 years ago '05        #63
CTR 376 heat pts376
space
space
$2,976 | Props total: 5 5
not a "common" album. its a good music though. these songs got a good groove but lyrically weak for common standards. cant backpack for your every day of your life though. just enjoy it for what it is

DOPE:
inhale
everywhere
gladiator
punch drunk
make my day
changes
UMC

Last edited by CTR; 12-06-2008 at 05:11 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #64
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
This isn't a good album, it's corny. I have no problem with him making an upbeat album, but if he's gonna do that by just dumbing it down and getting some Neptunes beats, that's not an accomplishment. It is possible to make an album that is fun, interesting, and artistically accomplished, but Common showed he isn't capable of that (and it isn't the Neptunes fault, they gave him a pretty good backdrop).

Last edited by HHS; 12-06-2008 at 07:18 PM..
 9 years ago '07        #65
eggosiazon 
space
space
$1,788 | Props total: 0 0
damn, i guess i'm the only one that liked that cd

changes, and change the world are kinda wack
but i really liked the rest
 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM         #66
adadfalife607 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
pretty weak for a common album..but there are still some dope tracks..UMC..Gladiator..Punch Drunk Love..Announcement..Inhale..the rest is meh
 9 years ago '04        #67
jigdagod 
space
space
$553 | Props total: 0 0
Album is dope, the 1st listen I hate it I was like WTF is wrong with Common, now every track is dope except for Suga For s3x I can't stand that dumb a.ss track. Inhale has to be the dopest song of the year something about that beat and him spitting over it. 4 Mics for this one.

Like Water For Chocolate is still the dopest Common album ever.
 9 years ago '07        #68
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6135 6135
i like it. wish it was longer though. maybe 4-6 tracks longer.

overall i give it a 4/5
 12-07-2008, 12:33 AM         #69
Real Hustler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KrayLay said:
Complete fu*king trash. I own all of his albums, and I was one of his biggest fans. I'm done with him. I'm not supporting any more of the garbage he puts out.
after he flops this 1 time he will b back 2 regular form
 9 years ago '04        #70
double211 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$319 | Props total: 11 11
this album is nice. I must be 1 of the few who actually likes "everywhere" and "What A World".. Sounds much like a beat he did voor madonna's last album.

only song I dont like is "s3x 4 Suga" After a few listens ill give it 3.5 mics
 12-07-2008, 08:25 AM         #71
hiphop4ever 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
decent
 9 years ago '07        #72
MiseryCityTexas 19 heat pts19
space
space
space
$20,601 | Props total: 4206 4206
unlike nas, common isn't afraid to rap over different beats.
 12-08-2008, 01:22 AM         #73
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think n*ggas honestly expected another Finding Forever and BE and mad that this album wasn't that.....Dude needed a newer sound on this album anyways...Dude took a chance with this sh*t and Im suprised it came out the way it did, n*gga showed more energy on this than his last two albums.....

Its his least conscious album and he wasnt intending on doing an album like that, he said it himself, so whats the suprise when you hear him rapping on more energetic beats? I think the album is gettin sh*tted on something serious...
 9 years ago '06        #74
ThaFuture3 
space
space
space
$1,769 | Props total: 237 237
Personally I dont like the album. Although, I like Common rapping on more energetic beats, I dont think Pharrell really gives him a good sound on most of these tracks. To me, its almost like the album lacks consistency. Only tracks I like are Announcement, Punch Drunk Love, Inhale, and I kinda like Universal Mind Control. I'm gonna listen to the album a few more times to see if it grows on me tho......
 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM         #75
Liquid Oxygen 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Really good album. Still listening to it daily. Just way too short though. Albums need to have at least 12 songs on em. When track 10 finishes, I feel like its incomplete still.
 9 years ago '04        #76
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
$4,466 | Props total: 293 293
 X-NINE said:
I think n*ggas honestly expected another Finding Forever and BE and mad that this album wasn't that.....Dude needed a newer sound on this album anyways...Dude took a chance with this sh*t and Im suprised it came out the way it did, n*gga showed more energy on this than his last two albums.....

Its his least conscious album and he wasnt intending on doing an album like that, he said it himself, so whats the suprise when you hear him rapping on more energetic beats? I think the album is gettin sh*tted on something serious...
Im not mad at any of the above. I'm mad the the sh*t is 1. Wack. 2. Corny. & 3. Short as hell. 10 tracks? Come on man, it's like he put in 6 hours on a 8 hour shift and expect to get paid overtime.
 9 years ago '04        #77
Shifta08 
space
space
space
$1,605 | Props total: 52 52
i understand people are gonna say "well illmattic was 10 tracks and that's considered a classic" but now a days, we expect more. you could get away with that years ago.

i was incredibly dissappointed in this album. i got into inhale, and that's about it.

yes he did something different which is what he was aiming for. by different he made me not want to spend money on a common album. if you got somethin good and workin for you and that the people want from you, why do somethin horrible like this. and the neptune beats here make me want to put this album in the recycle bin. can't believe pharrell gets paid for those.

if you want to experiement, don't do a whole album on experimentation, drop a single or two, see how it goes. 1 out of 5 from me.
 9 years ago '04        #78
thechef 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,140 | Props total: 2287 2287
after listening to this for 10 minutes, i put "be" back on again
 12-09-2008, 09:21 PM         #79
One_Luv 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't have a problem with an artist choosing to go in a different direction, but that doesn't give an artist an excuse to put out wack music and that's exactly what this is. Outside of two or three tracks the production is atrocious, redundant and doesn't suit common at all. Also common decided it was a good idea to dumb down his lyrics and subject matter. Even on electric circus Common still had some hard lyrics, and decent concepts but this album is a complete disappointment. I read in a recent interview that common made this album for his fans but what would make him think his fans want to hear this bullsh*t.
 9 years ago '04        #80
Sinna555 
space
space
$1,838 | Props total: 3 3
Am I the only one that thinks that the last track, Everywhere, is a great song to listen to while high or going to a club? It pumps me up!
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
279 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy