Steph Kegels
68 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
28 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
102 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
90 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #61
Dash420 21 heat pts21
space
space
$14,763 | Props total: 6171 6171
it was decent...should have left the chic solo part off though..she brought the track down
 9 years ago '06        #62
diVERSEity 
space
space
$3,978 | Props total: 0 0
 Jamaro85 said:
Someone break this down, please, aside from the obvious.

I like the wordplay with Jackie Robinson's name. Then running base/drugs dodging the pen(itentiary). Or you can take it as when he's on the job, rhyming, he doesn't write.

But how does that link with Jackie Robinson, other than "running bases" in baseball? "Except I dodge the pen", I'm guessing it has something to do with Jackie Robinson not dodging a "pen". A bullpen for pitchers doesn't make much sense either.

I guess I'm just missing something and I'm trying to see why these lines are getting so much praise. If I'm "looking too deep" into it then I guess it ain't as amazing as people are making it out to be
It's more than him being on the job, rhyming. He runs the bass, meaning the bass-line I guess.

I guess that's what you call a triple entendre then...

I didn't quite get the part with Jackie Robinson not dodging the pen either though. Maybe penalty or something? Or "pin" as in pin-stripes as in Yankees?

Sickest line of the year though, regardless. Saved the whole song lyrically (the beat is tough anyway).
 9 years ago '04        #63
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 3 3
 diVERSEity said:
It's more than him being on the job, rhyming. He runs the bass, meaning the bass-line I guess.

I guess that's what you call a triple entendre then...

I didn't quite get the part with Jackie Robinson not dodging the pen either though. Maybe penalty or something? Or "pin" as in pin-stripes as in Yankees?

Sickest line of the year though, regardless. Saved the whole song lyrically (the beat is tough anyway).
I like that, wasn't even thinking bassline. I was thinking maybe pen/pin pinstripes too, good sh*t. Line is dope regardless of whether the Jack Rob part links or not I guess
 9 years ago '06        #64
diVERSEity 
space
space
Maybe this is the solution: Wikipedia says that Jackie Robinson got arrested when he was in College. He was only sentenced to two years probation but maybe Jigga thought that's close enough :D.
 9 years ago '04        #65
mista_millz 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,747 | Props total: 1278 1278
 klew said:
Best Jay song I've heard in a while besides history
history is garbage

cmon now lol id rather listen to some NOE haha
cause he flows like jay should right now
 9 years ago '05        #66
youngvito18 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,789 | Props total: 4738 4738
 Jamaro85 said:

I like the wordplay with Jackie Robinson's name. Then running base/drugs dodging the pen(itentiary). Or you can take it as when he's on the job, rhyming, he doesn't write.

But how does that link with Jackie Robinson, other than "running bases" in baseball? "Except I dodge the pen", I'm guessing it has something to do with Jackie Robinson not dodging a "pen". A bullpen for pitchers doesn't make much sense either.

I guess I'm just missing something and I'm trying to see why these lines are getting so much praise. If I'm "looking too deep" into it then I guess it ain't as amazing as people are making it out to be

jackie robinson use to run bases after he made home runs (common sense) but alot of times if he boasted or if the white players or fans on the other team deemed him boasting/showing off/not circling fast enough jackie would get either racial slurs tossed at him or face a physical confrontation.... so in time robinson learned to avoid the opposing teams bullpen to keep safe from racial outcrys or physical attacks =(, plus robinson played for the dodgers so adding "dodging" in the line is still sick, plus since it has more then one meaning the obvious bass(baseball, music and drugs) refrence and the pen (paseball, music, and jail) refrence is even sicker

dont you think

Last edited by youngvito18; 12-01-2008 at 02:19 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #67
octane 
space
space
$3,858 | Props total: 653 653
young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 9 years ago '06        #68
diVERSEity 
space
space
 youngvito18 said:
jackie robinson use to run bases after he made home runs (common sense) but alot of times if he boasted or if the white players or fans on the other team deemed him boasting/showing off/not circling fast enough jackie would get either racial slurs tossed at him or face a physical confrontation.... so in time robinson learned to avoid the opposing teams bullpen to keep safe from racial outcrys or physical attacks =(, plus robinson played for the dodgers so adding "dodging" in the line is still sick, plus since it has more then one meaning the obvious bass(baseball, music and drugs) refrence and the pen (paseball, music, and jail) refrence is even sicker

dont you think
But he says "except when I run base, I dodge the pen", implying that Robinson did NOT dodge it.
 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM         #69
hiphop4ever 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the songs aight but the girl singing in the background is mad annoying tho
 9 years ago '06        #70
diVERSEity 
space
space
Or maybe he confused bullpen with dugout?
 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM         #71
Brown Bomber II 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think yall missed a line on wordplay with Jackie Robinson's name.
I Jack I Rob I Sin (Jackie Robinson)
 9 years ago '06        #72
diVERSEity 
space
space
LOL no we didn't miss that, it was too obvious to require an explanation.

Edit: You're actually the one who's missing it. The "I sin" is supposed to hint to "-son", therefore spelling out the entire name with the words Jack(ie) Rob(in)son. One can argue that the "I"'s are also placed deliberately since there also found in the "ie" and "in" of the name.

Last edited by diVERSEity; 12-01-2008 at 02:34 PM..
 9 years ago '06        #73
Icee 33 heat pts33
space
space
$11,729 | Props total: 5746 5746
 Jamaro85 said:

running base=slanging crack

except I dodge the pen=not gettting locked up
 9 years ago '06        #74
diVERSEity 
space
space
 Jamaro85 said:

Icee said:
running base=slanging crack

except I dodge the pen=not gettting locked up
Yes, that's what he said.
 9 years ago '05        #75
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782
 mista_millz said:
history is garbage

cmon now lol id rather listen to some NOE haha
cause he flows like jay should right now
It was the only other song worth mentioning
 9 years ago '07        #76
itsyaboydub 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,038 | Props total: 0 0
guess maybe I'm in the minority on this based on what yall is sayin' but I think this sh*t is kinda weak. The beat and chorus is straight but, real talk, this n*gga really sound like Wayne wit that flow. And gimme 1 hot line he said in a verse? I love Hove 2 (pause) 1 of the goat's but this is just kinda eh....
 9 years ago '06        #77
diVERSEity 
space
space
 itsyaboydub said:
guess maybe I'm in the minority on this based on what yall is sayin' but I think this sh*t is kinda weak. The beat and chorus is straight but, real talk, this n*gga really sound like Wayne wit that flow. And gimme 1 hot line he said in a verse? I love Hove 2 (pause) 1 of the goat's but this is just kinda eh....
I agree with you to an extent. The track isn't all that great. The beat is knocking but Hov doesn't really go at it, especially in that 1st verse. BUT he does drop the line of the year on this song and that's one of the best lines I've ever heard, in all seriousness. Here it is again, just for the record:

I father, I Brooklyn Dodger them
I jack, I rob, I sin
Amen, I'm Jackie Robinson
'Cept when I run base, I dodge the pen

:agreement6::agreement6::agreement6:
 9 years ago '05        #78
youngvito18 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,789 | Props total: 4738 4738
 diVERSEity said:
But he says "except when I run base, I dodge the pen", implying that Robinson did NOT dodge it.

he also said "38 revolve like the sun round the earth"

lol.....at the end of the day.....n*gga you know what he is saying lol
 9 years ago '05        #79
Nickel 118 heat pts118
space
space
$11,231 | Props total: 179 179
 Brown bomber II said:
I think yall missed a line on wordplay with Jackie Robinson's name.
I Jack I Rob I Sin (Jackie Robinson)
i definitely missed that line....hov is a genius
 9 years ago '04        #80
Big War|M 
space
space
$14,187 | Props total: 1072 1072
 jj01 said:
song is crack
why you got a picture of Canibus in his mother's bedroom as your avatar?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
59 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
joie chavis
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
61 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
94 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
194 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
10 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
2 days ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy