[Official] Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak - Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
24 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
37 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM         #321
AlexG1989 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't normally check out mainstream artist's albums, but kanye was always a couple notches above the other mainstream rappers and I bought (Yes, I actually bought them lol) his first 2 albums years ago. So I read reviews for this album 808s & Heartbreak, and they are more negative than positive and I normally don't check out albums that have mainly negative reviews but I thought I'd give this one a shot. And now after I've heard it (The download fu*ked up so I only got 8 of the songs, but thats already more than half the album) I'm left wondering what was everybody complaining about?

Is it because he wasn't rapping? Or cause he used Auto-Tone on damn near every song?

I thought it was going to suck because of those two things. I like singers, now probably moreso than rappers but Kanye West is a rapper and before I heard it I thought it wasn't going to work, and that it would suck. I am personally not a fan of auto-tone, that sh*t got played out in the 90's and I thought an album with every track on it using auto-tone would be horrible. But to my surprise, Kanye West pulled it off beautifully. I'm no Kanye West fan, (I didn't even bother checking out Graduation) just a fan of music and this is good music.

This is a nice album and I'll be listening to it for quite some time to come.

The album isn't flawless though, of the 8 tracks I've heard I wasn't liking Robocop, all the rest are really good. I still have to get the remaining tracks...
 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM         #322
brayan99 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Because people like to hear the same sh*t over and over again....they are scared of listening to something different.
 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM         #323
dmoss 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 brayan99 said:
Because people like to hear the same sh*t over and over again....they are scared of listening to something different.
Everyone is using the autotune so its not different. The fact that he uses it on everything differs but just because something is different doesnt make it creative. My girl even hate is sh*t, the one song I like is "Amazing" w/Jezzy and she hate Ye's part. On "Go Hard" he used the box and he k!lled it. And has anyone heard some of the songs live it horrible, its like he not even making the music, the computer is.
 9 years ago '04        #324
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,097 | Props total: 4108 4108
Well, the sh*t live is terrible. I saw a vid on Youtube of him performing some of the songs and they sound godawful live. Other than that, the album starts off nice with the first three songs, then that sh*t is an epic failure. Auto-tune gets played out, the beats aren't all that great, and the subject matter by the 5th song is just repeating.
 9 years ago '05        #325
lyrical.obsessi 
space
space
space
$2,496 | Props total: 0 0
cause the sh*ts mad a.ss... it would prolly be a.ss without the auto-tune
Kanye makes good music whether people like it or not..
but the n*gga straight flopped on this one...
they dont even play the singles in the chi no more
outside of heartless which dont get that much love either...

this concept album as he called it was something to show
him and everybody else not to try that sh*t again...
irobot adult swim a.ss n*gga.. he will learn....
 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM         #326
AlexG1989 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it would prolly be a.ss without the auto-tune
this i can agree with... He's primarily a rapper, and not a very good singer, but the auto-tone is what makes it listenable.... I wouldn't wanna hear it live or without the auto-tone though lol...

The album really isn't bad at all though, its really good... Its better than anything I hear on MTV when I change it to the sucker free countdown for five minutes every 6 months... lol
 9 years ago '05        #327
Gm0ney85 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,723 | Props total: 2177 2177
I hate that kanye calls the album "different" when it the same thing going on through-out hip-hop right now wit the auto tune sh*t...its just DIFFERNT from the sh*t kanye normally does...but i do like the album
 9 years ago '04        #328
Kasssssst 135 heat pts135
space
space
$38,387 | Props total: 9 9
The first 6 songs sound promising for the album...

but when the album reaches Robocop

EVERYTHING starts to go downhill from there...the album is no more listenable after that track.
 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM         #329
AKfoy0face 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
kanyes gay adn wack as fu*k
 9 years ago '04        #330
..:Fame:.. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 975 975
lol welcome to 2008 , people will hate on anything thats getting above average status . It comes with sucess
 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM         #331
RicFlair 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
because auto tune annoys the fu*k out of me
 9 years ago '08        #332
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
$21,343 | Props total: 97 97
 RicFlair said:
because auto tune annoys the fu*k out of me
it would of been worse with out it

but yeah i think it will be a classic in couple of years
 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM         #333
FuhhhQ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 brayan99 said:
That was my problem with this album. It sounded just like everything else i hear nowadays. Plus i hate autotune so that didnt help my opinion much. Plus most of his songs were about girls, and I've never liked those type of songs... I dont hate Kanye nor am I a stan.. Just the opinion of an unbiased hip-hop head lol
 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM         #334
Shadedvisionary 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
aint heard it yet but is it depression music on auto-tune??
 9 years ago '08        #335
ajmann2003 
space
space
$101 | Props total: 0 0
My opinion on 808's is; Yes it is different so that's why some people won't like it but that's exactly why some will love it. I don't love it but I really do like it. It's on a whole new level it will definitely be a classic one day. All of his albums so far will definitely be in the greatest of discussions one day.
 9 years ago '07        #336
itsyaboydub 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,038 | Props total: 0 0
this is the kind of album that people will look back on like.. damn I slept! sh*t is mad tight. When I first heard 'Ye was doing a all autotune album I wasn't really that exited. But when you listen to it, it's nothing what you would expect. Yea most of the songs are about girls and depressing, but they are also mad deep, and the production is just wonderful. gotta give Kanye props for trying something different and it worked. Classic.
 9 years ago '08        #337
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 AKfoy0face said:
kanyes gay adn wack as fu*k
ur more bi*ch than a bi*ch
 9 years ago '08        #338
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 itsyaboydub said:
this is the kind of album that people will look back on like.. damn I slept! sh*t is mad tight. When I first heard 'Ye was doing a all autotune album I wasn't really that exited. But when you listen to it, it's nothing what you would expect. Yea most of the songs are about girls and depressing, but they are also mad deep, and the production is just wonderful. gotta give Kanye props for trying something different and it worked. Classic.
yep in a couple of years people will call it a classic :agreement6:
 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM         #339
Quasi 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SC1 said:
The first 6 songs sound promising for the album...

but when the album reaches Robocop

EVERYTHING starts to go downhill from there...the album is no more listenable after that track.
I kinda agree with you on that. Coldest Winter wasn't bad but Robocop is the worst song he's made.

I hate that kanye calls the album "different" when it the same thing going on through-out hip-hop right now wit the auto tune sh*t...its just DIFFERNT from the sh*t kanye normally does...but i do like the album
You can't compare this album to everything that's out because it has auto-tone. You didn't listen to the album thoroughly cuz it' definately not like some of the crap that's out, that's the BIGGEST misconception. And "Robo Cop" is what made me not anticipate the album.

The album is definately not a classic but exceeded my expectations. "Say You Will" is a classic by itself. I'd love to see a vid for that. Pinocchio's Story is my second favorite. I wish he realease a studio version on iTunes.
 9 years ago '08        #340
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,024 | Props total: 5085 5085
I have to say I really like this album but I think I like it even more because it's so far from what everybody else is doing. Don't think because it has auto-tune on it you can say it's just like everything else. This ain't no fu*king T-pain sh*t right here.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
53 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now