TONIGHT! Joe Calzaghe vs. Roy Jones jr (HBO ppv)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
96 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
99 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
78 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '07        #1
11491 pageviews
457 comments

Donaldsjuan 
space
space
$1,880 | Props total: 117 117
Nov 8th: Joe Calzaghe defeats Roy Jones jr (Official thread)

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

NEW YORK (AP)—Roy Jones Jr. claims he’s been seeing Joe Calzaghe punching in his sleep.

It wouldn’t surprise anybody, either. The undefeated champion from Wales is known for his tremendous work rate, often throwing more than 100 blows in a round. He’s always moving forward, always pressuring his opponent.

It’s the reason Calzaghe is a fan favorite. And the reason he’s one of the best pound for pound f!ghters in the world.

“He started punching yesterday,” Jones joked earlier this week. “I’ve been ducking and dodging in my sleep. I know he’s punching already. I ain’t tripping about that, because that’s what he does. But we’ll have to see Saturday night what we’re going to do about that.”

Their light heavyweight f!ght at Madison Square Garden may be coming 10 years too late, but the 36-year-old Calzaghe—one of the longest-reigning champions in boxing history—and the 39-year-old Jones, himself an eight-time world champion, both insist their skills haven’t dulled.

Each weighed in half a pound under the 175-pound limit Friday, flexing and mugging for the cameras, neither showing their age. They stood toe-to-toe on a platform with arena workers busily constructing a ring in the background, trying hard not to smile, undoubtedly pleased that at this advanced stage in their careers they’re still a major draw.

How much is yet to be seen, though. Tickets are reportedly selling slowly for the f!ght, the prices set high on the heels of Jones’ successful f!ght against Felix Trinidad earlier this year and before the economic downturn left fans pondering the value of $1,500 seats.

“This is what I do for a living,” Jones said, confident the f!ght will do well both at the box office and in pay-per-view revenue. “It’s what I love.”

Indeed, Jones (52-4, 38 KOs) is in the midst of a renaissance, finishing off a three-f!ght comeback of sorts by dismantling Trinidad at the Garden in January. The best boxer of the 1990s looked like his old self, dancing around the ring and baiting the smaller Trinidad before snapping off those straight punches that never seemed to miss.

All that was absent was another highlight-reel knockout.

“I’m at my prime,” Jones said, “I’m feeling better than ever.”

“When you look in your mirror,” he continued, “and see how cute you are still at almost age 40 and say ‘Wow, I still look good,’ and then when you walk down the street and 19-year-old girls say, ‘Hey, can I get your phone number?’ Nah, I ain’t lost it yet.”

Jones denies this f!ght is about his legacy and promises it won’t be his last, but it will almost certainly be one of the most difficult he’s had, right along with defeating John Ruiz to become the first middleweight champion in more than 100 years to capture a heavyweight title.

The reason is Calzaghe (45-0, 32 KOs) is simply relentless, his rapid-fire punches coming from all angles. The Pride of Wales can be shifty when he needs to be, counter-punch when the opportunity arises. And he showed in a close, messy decision over Bernard Hopkins in April that he can withstand getting knocked to the floor.

“Make no mistakes, I respect the guy,” Calzaghe said, “but he’s in my way. He’s f!ghting to stop something I’ve been working my life for, and I’m not going to allow that.”

The affable Welshman has been honing his tremendous hand speed on a machine he developed with one of his childhood friends, Kevin Davies, an amateur boxing coach. Essentially a heavy bag with sensors attached to a computer, the system tracks the number of punches thrown and rates their power.

Boxer Joe Calzaghe flexes as…
AP - Nov 7, 4:56 pm EST
Calzaghe’s best mark? Nearly 1,700 in a three-minute span, or roughly nine punches per second.

“Roy visited the gym, Joe explained the bag to him, and Roy declined when he heard Joe threw nine punches a second,” Davies recalled, chuckling. “He looked amazed.”

Calzaghe landed 232 punches in beating Hopkins, a wily veteran known for his defense, the most landed by a Hopkins opponent in a f!ght tracked by CompuBox statistics. When he beat Mikkel Kessler to unify the super middleweight division, Calzaghe threw a staggering 1,010 punches.

It’s little wonder that Jones has been thinking hard about how he’s going to defend the onslaught. He wouldn’t say whether, in those dreams of his, he was actually getting hit.

He did promise to have some sort of solution by the time he steps in the ring.

“He ain’t never fought nobody who looked this good throwing back,” Jones said, grinning through a weeks-old beard. “He said, ‘Yeah, I fought Bernard, but I wasn’t as prepared as I have to be for Roy.’ What does that tell you

[pic - click to view]

http://sports.yahoo.com/box

Last edited by Donaldsjuan; 11-09-2008 at 10:45 AM..

457 comments for "TONIGHT! Joe Calzaghe vs. Roy Jones jr (HBO ppv)"

9 years ago '04        #2
..:Fame:.. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,122 | Props total: 976 976
Im getting this f!ght tonight i hope roy don't go out there and get rocked.
 11-08-2008, 12:22 PM         #3
RicFlair 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
roy got this
 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM         #4
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Calzaghe for the win. Points decision.

Hopefully it's an entertaining f!ght though.
 9 years ago '08        #5
Illuminati 192 heat pts192
space
space
$38,770 | Props total: 9022 9022
Joe got this, Roy will lie on the ropes.
 11-08-2008, 01:14 PM         #6
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i hope this is the 02' roy
 9 years ago '07        #7
Donaldsjuan  OP
space
space
$1,880 | Props total: 117 117
yeah he took care of trinadad pretty easy, hopefully this is more of that roy
 11-08-2008, 03:11 PM         #8
LJay 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i pray for calzaghe's safety
 11-08-2008, 03:20 PM         #9
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LJay said:
i pray for calzaghe's safety
 9 years ago '04        #10
jaybizzle 
space
space
$3,323 | Props total: 10 10
Is Roy Jones Jr. a muslim now?
 11-08-2008, 03:45 PM         #11
Vincent Vega 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i hope roy knocks calzaghe the fu*k out
 9 years ago '05        #12
JoNu 
space
space
$910 | Props total: 432 432
I hope roy wins for we can see roy vs b-hop
 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM         #13
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JoNu said:
I hope roy wins for we can see roy vs b-hop
Why is everyone so bothered about seeing Roy Vs Hopkins?

The f!ght first of all would be sh*t, because Hopkins would resort to his usual tactics.

And secondly. It wouldn't matter who won. Because at the end of the day, Jones was the better f!ghter, and PROVED it already.
 9 years ago '07        #14
I Am The Truth 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,890 | Props total: 2244 2244
anyone got a link for this? props in advance for one...
 9 years ago '05        #15
Afnorth123 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,422 | Props total: 247 247
I'mma need a stream.....stuck on campus for this one.
 11-08-2008, 04:44 PM         #16
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

11-08-2008, 04:48 PM         #17
RicFlair 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what times it supposed to start?
 9 years ago '05        #18
Afnorth123 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,422 | Props total: 247 247
 r a n c i d said:

i'l prop once i spread some rep.
 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM         #19
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
3, maybe 4 gmt...

Not sure on American time.

Hopefully the pre-f!ghts are good. Zab Judahs f!ghting Ernest Johnson, should be good f!ght.
 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM         #20
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestic75 said:
Roy Jones has been washed for like 5 years, and Calzaghe has been washed even longer. fu*k this f!ght. Boxing needs a blood transfusion, I'm tired of watching has beens limp around the ring to payoff their credit card debts from the 90s.
Do you even follow boxing?

Firstly, as a boxing fan, you should be able to appreciate a f!ght given it's a good f!ght. Regardless of who maybe f!ghting.

Secondly. If you're seriously suggesting Calzaghe has been watched up for 5 years you know nothing about him. He probably primed about 4 years back.

Thirdly. I doubt Jones or Calzaghe are in any financial trouble, from the 90's or otherwise.

And fourthly. Why are you in this thread talking rubbish if you have no intention off watching it?

Piss off and get back to watch your MMA.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
113 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
52 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
270 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
70 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
48 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - Alien Spacecraft Discovered? Scientists believe so
28 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
11 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
77 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy