Roy Jones Jr. vs Joe Calzaghe [HBO-PPV][11-8-08]

most viewed right now
Jeezy – American Dream (ft. Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole)
92 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
180 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
25 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Winner...
Roy Jones Jr 9 64.29%
Joe Calzaghe 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM         #21
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cheers again Fishscale.

I've come to the conclusion after watching this, Calzaghes bird is a milf.
 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM         #22
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What are the bookies odds stateside on this f!ght?
 9 years ago '05        #23
Grown Man Ish 97 heat pts97
space
space
space
$14,106 | Props total: 234 234
Calzaghe gonna destroy him....

i think this is on setanta 2...hopefully...
 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM         #24
ill800 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i heard ali and frazier are f!ghting again in december.
 9 years ago '04        #25
1MikE 9 heat pts
space
space
$7,012 | Props total: 1573 1573
As "Super" Joe Calzaghe and "Superman" Roy Jones Jr., get ready to face each other Saturday night in "Battle of the Super Powers" at Madison Square Garden and live on HBO Pay-Per-View, some of the best f!ghters in the sport lend their analysis and predictions on the highly anticipated match-up.

f!ghtERS:

Bernard Hopkins-Former two-division world champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe on April 19, 2008 and lost by split decision
Fought Roy Jones Jr. May 22, 1993 and lost by unanimous decision

"Jones by unanimous decision based on his speed and power."

Ricky Hatton- IBO & Ring Magazine junior welterweight world champion

"Roy has seen better days and I think that Joe will be too fast for Roy. Joe will outbox Roy and win by points. I'm going with Joe."

Lennox Lewis- Former heavyweight champion

"Jones has unbelievable speed and Calzaghe's never fought anyone like him. Jones likes it when his opponent comes to him and unfortunately for Calzaghe, that's exactly what he does; comes to his opponent and is right in their face. I pick Jones on points, but I think it'll be a very close f!ght."

Jeff Lacy-Former IBF super middleweight champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe March 4, 2006 and lost by unanimous decision

"It's going to be a hard f!ght to pick. If Jones doesn't stay on the ropes and give Calzaghe angles and lots of movement I'm going to go with Jones by decision. Roy can't stay on the ropes and give Joe the chance to throw his slapping punches. This is a great f!ght for Jones to win and setup a big money f!ght again with Hopkins!"

John Ruiz- Former two-time WBA world heavyweight champion

Fought Jones March 1, 2003 and lost by unanimous decision

"I like Calzaghe by decision. He's still a hungry and aggressive f!ghter. He keeps coming at you. The problem for him is that Jones will run all night. He won't stay still. Calzaghe has to cut off the ring. Calzaghe's a gentleman in and out of the ring. I think Jones saw the f!ght against Hopkins and was motivated to f!ght Calzaghe."

Peter Manfredo, Jr- Former EBA, IBU and WBO NABO light middleweight champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe April 7, 2007 and lost by KO in 3rd round

"Calzaghe by 12 round decision. Joe doesn't hit hard enough to knock out Jones. Calzaghe is very busy and Jones doesn't like somebody on him for 12 rounds. Personally, I'd like to see Jones do it. I always root for the underdog because I'm an underdog. Both win in the end, though. They're both making millions of dollars and f!ghting in the boxing Mecca of the world, Madison Square Garden. There are no losers in this f!ght."

Glen Johnson- Former IBF, IBO and Ring Magazine light heavyweight champion

Fought Roy Jones September 25, 2004 and won by KO in 9th round

"Roy Jones will win. I believe Calzaghe f!ghts an amateur style. He throws a lot of slappy punches. Roy throws much more meaningful punches. In general, Calzaghe will throw more punches than Roy, but Roy's will be harder hitting. Unless the judges are blind, they will see that the harder punches make Jones the winner. They should see that Roy Jones' hard-hitting punches make the difference."

Oscar De La Hoya- Olympic gold medalist and 10-time world champion

"Calzaghe will beat Jones by a unanimous decision. Joe is going to close the door on Roy's boxing career."

Manny Pacquiao- Ring Magazine pound-for-pound champion

"Calzaghe by decision. Joe is hungrier and a little younger."

Shane Mosley- Former lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight champion of the world

"Roy has trouble with southpaws and Calzaghe is a great southpaw. Roy is a f!ghter that is always on his toes and I think that when Hopkins fought Calzaghe, and was moving a lot, it gave Joe a lot of problems. I think Roy can do the same thing. I think he can cause problems for Joe with his speed. I'm not really sure on Roy right now. I have to lean towards Joe on this one. You can't count Roy out, but I think Joe will get Roy with a lot of combinations and out point him. Roy back in the day would have destroyed Joe, but now Joe will outpoint him with a lot of activity and win the f!ght."

Vernon Forrest -WBC welterweight champion

"Roy Jones is still the best f!ghter in my era and still arguably one of the best f!ghters period. Roy with his speed can match Calzaghe, and he has power. So the power and speed is with Roy. Roy by decision."

Amir Khan- Commonwealth lightweight champion

"I'm a big fan of Roy Jones, but I have to go with Calzaghe in a great f!ght."

Paulie Malignaggi- Former IBF junior welterweight champion.

"It's a hard f!ght to pick. I thought Calzaghe at first because, but maybe he's too much for Roy right now. But based on what Joe just said about the three Brits beating the three Americans (Calzaghe-Jones, Hatton-Malignaggi, Haye-Barrett), I'm pulling Roy home.....Jones by decision."

Mickey Ward- Former WBU intercontinental light welterweight title holder and the WBU light welterweight title holder

"It's a pick 'em f!ght. I'd pick Calzaghe but you can't count Jones out. I can't pick a winner in this f!ght. They're both up in age. Jones is coming off a good f!ght (vs. Trinidad). I like Calzaghe to outbox Jones, who has been knocked out twice, but he didn't show any effects in his last f!ght."

Winky Wright- Former world junior middleweight champion

"I think Roy is going to win. I think that his punches are going to be sharper than Calzaghe's and I think that Roy is a harder puncher. I think it might go all 12 rounds, but if somebody gets stopped I think its Calzaghe late in the f!ght."

Chad Dawson- Undefeated, IBF Light Heavyweight World Champion

"It's a tough one to call. It's a very even match up. I think if Roy can do what he does best, use his head movement and out box Calzaghe, Jones wins a decision. However, Calzaghe is capable of doing the very same thing. I may have to give the edge to Calzaghe. He's a little bit younger and little fresher. If I was putting a $1 million on this f!ght, I'd go with Joe Calzaghe by UD"

Freddie Roach- Trainer

"Calzaghe by decision."
i cant call this one
 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM         #26
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nice one for that Mike. Some good opinions there.

I'd have to go with Calzaghe on points. Jones might score a knock down, but i can't see him keeping Joe down. And Joe is the better f!ghter of the two. At the same time i won't be putting much money on the f!ght.

Jeff Lacy-Former IBF super middleweight champion

Fought Joe Calzaghe March 4, 2006 and lost by unanimous decision

"It's going to be a hard f!ght to pick. If Jones doesn't stay on the ropes and give Calzaghe angles and lots of movement I'm going to go with Jones by decision. Roy can't stay on the ropes and give Joe the chance to throw his slapping punches. This is a great f!ght for Jones to win and setup a big money f!ght again with Hopkins!"

LOL at Lacy.
 9 years ago '06        #27
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,985 | Props total: 10649 10649
i like most of their opinions but just wanted to point out 3 of them

ruiz one had me laughin because before i even readit knew he'd say something to down jones...still bitter about that a.ss beatin he got haha

but i like lacy and mosley's response.Mosley's is the most on point but lacy is right about staying on the ropes.Ever since roy came down in weight it's like his legs aren't there anymore.Anytime pressure is put on him he goes to the ropes and covers up...it's too easy and i'm hopin that don't happen cause jones will get peppered up but i see the f!ght going 3 ways..

1.Jones lets joe take him to the ropes and gets combo'd all night or ko'd...because even though joe don't hit hard roy can't take a punch these days

2.jones turns back the clock and comes out of his shell.He's been scared to let his hands go since being knocked out but he seemed to start getting his confidence back at the end of the trinidad f!ght so hopefully he won't be scared.If he f!ghts like this and let's his hands go roy can win...been sayin this since day one

3.Roy stays off the ropes but gets scared of letting his hands go like previous f!ghts.This is actually where i'm leaning with this.My gut is telling me roy is going to come out looking sharp but my brain is tellin me roy is still not going to let his hands go and joe will win a decision something like jones-tarver 3 or calzaghe-hopkins

but like i said from the get go...don't be surprised of roy wins.He lost his legs but he still has speed,power,and reflexes.They aren't as sharp as they used to be but it's still there.It's really mental with roy....if he's scared or if he let's his hands go.....2 days to go!!!!
 11-06-2008, 10:51 AM         #28
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 philly337 said:
i like most of their opinions but just wanted to point out 3 of them

ruiz one had me laughin because before i even readit knew he'd say something to down jones...still bitter about that a.ss beatin he got haha

but i like lacy and mosley's response.Mosley's is the most on point but lacy is right about staying on the ropes.Ever since roy came down in weight it's like his legs aren't there anymore.Anytime pressure is put on him he goes to the ropes and covers up...it's too easy and i'm hopin that don't happen cause jones will get peppered up but i see the f!ght going 3 ways..

1.Jones lets joe take him to the ropes and gets combo'd all night or ko'd...because even though joe don't hit hard roy can't take a punch these days

2.jones turns back the clock and comes out of his shell.He's been scared to let his hands go since being knocked out but he seemed to start getting his confidence back at the end of the trinidad f!ght so hopefully he won't be scared.If he f!ghts like this and let's his hands go roy can win...been sayin this since day one

3.Roy stays off the ropes but gets scared of letting his hands go like previous f!ghts.This is actually where i'm leaning with this.My gut is telling me roy is going to come out looking sharp but my brain is tellin me roy is still not going to let his hands go and joe will win a decision something like jones-tarver 3 or calzaghe-hopkins

but like i said from the get go...don't be surprised of roy wins.He lost his legs but he still has speed,power,and reflexes.They aren't as sharp as they used to be but it's still there.It's really mental with roy....if he's scared or if he let's his hands go.....2 days to go!!!!
Never fu*k with a guy, who's got nothing to lose... I'm sure that's how the saying goes.

We'll see. I can't see Roy taking a KO victory though, not at all. He'd have to win by points in my opinion.

I don't think i've ever seen Joe hurt to the point i've worried about him recovering. He's been caught green once or twice, but always been fresh when up.
 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM         #29
RicFlair 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
im gonna go out on a limb here and say jones wins by knockout
 9 years ago '06        #30
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 r a n c i d said:
Never fu*k with a guy, who's got nothing to lose... I'm sure that's how the saying goes.

We'll see. I can't see Roy taking a KO victory though, not at all. He'd have to win by points in my opinion.

I don't think i've ever seen Joe hurt to the point i've worried about him recovering. He's been caught green once or twice, but always been fresh when up.
i don't think a ko will happen either but it's possible.It doesn't matter who you are if you get hit on the chin with a nice shot ur going out...just physics...and roy hits hard.I've seen every roy f!ght from his debut and i've seen him put many on their face
 9 years ago '07        #31
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
Who cares about Jeff Lacy's opinions? he's the only person I don't care about, fu*king bum.

Calzaghe By decision (Not unanimous) if it goes 12rounds
 9 years ago '06        #32
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
man that mother fu*ker was bad....hope roy gets the credit he deserves after he retires and those ko's don't hurt his legacy too bad cause in his prime he was crazy

11-06-2008, 12:05 PM         #33
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 philly337 said:
i don't think a ko will happen either but it's possible.It doesn't matter who you are if you get hit on the chin with a nice shot ur going out...just physics...and roy hits hard.I've seen every roy f!ght from his debut and i've seen him put many on their face
I mean as always it's possible. But some of the comments from these boxers in MY opinion are illogical.

Anyone and everyone can get caught. But it's almost like certain people are insinuating that Joes chin can't take it, or Roy will be punching too hard for him.

It's bullshine. Roy by Ko is the most far out prediction personally, and i'm sure the bookies reflect that.

But then again like i said, anyone can get caught, i certainly wouldn't put money on it though.
 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM         #34
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 philly337 said:
man that mother fu*ker was bad....hope roy gets the credit he deserves after he retires and those ko's don't hurt his legacy too bad cause in his prime he was crazy

I don't think anyone considers those losses a mark on his legacy.

Would be great to see Roy hit form again. Though it would probably result in a loss for Joe. Think his days are over personally.

A modern day great though.
 9 years ago '06        #35
STILL.DETOX|m 704 heat pts704 OP
space
space
$11,579 | Props total: 9 9
fresh

Having faced both, Hopkins picks Jones over Calzaghe

Thursday, November 6, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Dan Rafael
Who better to offer insight into the Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones Jr. light heavyweight championship f!ght on Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET) than Bernard Hopkins?

Hopkins, of course, has been in the ring with both of them, so he knows what he is talking about.

In 1993, Hopkins lost a decision to Jones in a f!ght for a vacant middleweight title, after which Hopkins didn't lose for 12 years.

Hopkins also fought Calzaghe in April, but was outpointed in a very questionable split decision and lost the light heavyweight title. I was ringside and thought Hopkins eked it out, and so did many others.

Regardless of who you thought won it, they fought a close f!ght. Hopkins would love a rematch.

As for Jones, he and Hopkins have talked about a rematch on and off for a decade, but it has never happened.

Obviously, whomever wins on Saturday, the logical next f!ght would be a rematch with Hopkins, who looked sensational last month easily dominating middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik.

Hopkins plans to be ringside for the f!ght Saturday, the same way Jones was ringside to Hopkins-Pavlik and Calzaghe-Hopkins.

Never one to pass up an opportunity to talk, Hopkins took some time out this week to offer his educated opinion on Calzaghe-Jones.

He was not shy about picking Jones, the underdog, to win the f!ght. I have no idea whether he picked Jones because he's just rooting for him knowing that a rematch with Jones is more likely if he wins than one with Calzaghe. Whatever his reasons, Hopkins sounded pretty firm on his selection.

"Roy can handle the volume of punches," Hopkins said of Calzaghe's output. "He has the ability to neutralize it. Roy's not going to stop it, but he will neutralize it to the point where will Joe will f!ght using a different tactic and see what else he can do.

"I think I exposed to the world that Joe throws a lot of punches -- you can't take that away from him -- but are the punches he throws effective? Does he connect enough to get points? He throws a lot of punches, but not effective punches. That's where Roy beats him by a landslide."

Hopkins said he thinks Jones is a better puncher than Calzaghe and only a "tad" slower.

"Roy is fast and Roy can hurt you," Hopkins said. "Once that happens, Joe will realize he will have to give Roy Jones respect. It's not how many punches you throw, it's how hard you hit.

That's the difference in the end.

"I think Roy Jones wins by unanimous decision. I think he busts Joe up. Roy is two times faster than me and I had Joe's face busted up. Last time I saw, Roy Jones is faster than Bernard Hopkins. I look for Roy to pot shot Joe. Roy knows this guy very well. Roy ain't a fool. He's a smart man. He knows who to pick on as far as what they can do and what they can't do. Joe's not a big puncher who can hurt him so Roy is going to take a lot more chances than he ever took. He saw me f!ght Joe from ringside. I'm not the biggest puncher in the world, and I put [Calzaghe] on his a-- [in the first round]. Roy knows something. I gave him something to realize about Joe. I think Roy, at the end, with his speed and all-around athleticism, you will start seeing the difference between him and Joe in the middle rounds.

"Joe ain't gonna knock Roy out, he doesn't punch like that. He doesn't put himself in position to knock you out. He's mastered volume. He is a Hall of Famer. He wants to outwork you. But unless Joe comes out and does something out of character, that's the only way [a knockout] will happen. I don't think it will happen that way, like one punch knocks Roy on the ground. But that is not Joe.

"It's going to be a long f!ght. It will be mainly about conditioning. Who can throw, who can hurt and who can do it for 12 rounds? It's a big task for both of them."
 11-06-2008, 03:08 PM         #36
Rareness6 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Man I wanna see this match, hopefully I'm back in time to watch on Saturday
 9 years ago '04        #37
1MikE 9 heat pts
space
space
$7,012 | Props total: 1573 1573
 r a n c i d said:
Anyone and everyone can get caught. But it's almost like certain people are insinuating that Joes chin can't take it, or Roy will be punching too hard for him.
well, i think they are more so implying not that Joe cant take a punch, but that Joe has yet to face someone wit Roy's power, which u can KINDA, sorta argue. Joe's faced many guy with solid punching power, but this is the first legitimate big, strong light-heavy he's gonna go against.

Roy, on the other hand, is far from a KO artist. he has exceptional power even at this stage in his career, but as we all know doesn't let the hands go and hasn't had a KO victory in 6 years.
 9 years ago '08        #38
boxden1018 
space
space
space
$897 | Props total: 0 0
This f!ght will be well worth the cost of admission. Can't wait to see it
 11-07-2008, 08:12 AM         #39
r a n c i d 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 1MikE said:
well, i think they are more so implying not that Joe cant take a punch, but that Joe has yet to face someone wit Roy's power, which u can KINDA, sorta argue. Joe's faced many guy with solid punching power, but this is the first legitimate big, strong light-heavy he's gonna go against.

Roy, on the other hand, is far from a KO artist. he has exceptional power even at this stage in his career, but as we all know doesn't let the hands go and hasn't had a KO victory in 6 years.
I'm sorry, but Eubank, even out of prime was a far more serious puncher than Jones.
 9 years ago '07        #40
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
^Exactly, I was just about to post that.

Eubank out of prime was alot more powerful then Jones out of prime.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
71 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
197 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
84 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
18 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
54 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
274 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
23 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy