Penn State Will Go Undefeated And Win It All (08 Edition)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
102 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
76 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who will win the game this week?
Penn State 6 75.00%
Ohio State 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #121
NoLedge18720 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$27,070 | Props total: 6137 6137
Temple football sucks...I should know...thats where I graduated
 09-20-2008, 03:38 PM         #122
HR_Paperstacks  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NoLedge18720 said:
Temple football sucks...I should know...thats where I graduated
They're better than they used to be.

Still buttcheeks tho.
 9 years ago '04        #123
NoLedge18720 5 heat pts
space
space
space
 HR_Paperstacks said:
They're better than they used to be.

Still buttcheeks tho.
well when you are on a 20 game losing streak its kinda hard to be any worse than they used to be

My Freshman year they had some kicker named Jared something. Dude put the program back like 10 years with his terrible kicking. We should of won like 6 games that year(thus keeping us in the Big East) including Va Tech in overtime. Dude missed an extra point. But if they would of stayed in the Big East they would of been the worst team but it would of helped with recruiting.

I remember seeing signs in peoples windows saying Die Jared Die, Laces Out!

Last edited by NoLedge18720; 09-20-2008 at 03:46 PM..
 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM         #124
HR_Paperstacks  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NoLedge18720 said:
I remember seeing signs in peoples windows saying Die Jared Die, Laces Out!
LOL!
 09-22-2008, 04:16 PM         #125
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Big 10 Power Rankings

Big Ten power rankings

September 22, 2008 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg

A bit of shuffling this week despite three teams -- Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan -- that had byes. There's still a lot of mystery after the top three or four squads, and we'll know much more in five days as league play finally begins.

1. Wisconsin -- The bye week came at a good time for the Badgers, who are still dealing with some key injuries (Travis Beckum, Jonathan Casillas, Aaron Henry). It might sound wacky, but Saturday's game at 1-2 Michigan could be a trap game for Wisconsin, which can't look ahead to mega matchups with Ohio State and Penn State the next two weeks at Camp Randall Stadium.

2. Penn State -- The Lions beat Temple 45-3 and called their performance sloppy. Impressive is a better term to describe a team that has capitalized on weak competition and looked great on both sides of the ball. Penn State finally gets a test this week as Illinois visits Happy Valley. Another convincing win could give the Lions the top spot.

3. Ohio State -- The Terrelle Pryor era is under way in Columbus, and the freshman turned in a record-setting performance in his first career start. But the Buckeyes once again didn't look impressive against an inferior opponent, and they'll have to be much better in league play to reclaim the top spot in the rankings.

4. Michigan State -- It's a little unfair to drop Illinois after a bye week, but the Illini don't look like an improved team, while Michigan State does. Running back Javon Ringer has been the Big Ten MVP through the first four games, and the defense is displaying the physical style that head coach Mark Dantonio demands.

5. Illinois -- The good news for the idle Illini is they have a chance to make a huge statement Saturday at Penn State and vault up the list. The offense and defense rarely have played well at the same time, and Illinois will need both units to be clicking in Happy Valley. A veteran defensive front seven faces a huge test in the Spread HD offense, and Juice Williams tries to replicate his big-game road heroics.

6. Northwestern -- At this point in the season, the Wildcats are usually lamenting a bad nonleague loss and a leaky defense. Instead, they find themselves 4-0, thanks to a dominating defense shaped by coordinator Mike Hankwitz. The offense has been the problem so far, and Northwestern will need a lot of improvement from senior quarterback C.J. Bacher to keep this spot.

7. Iowa -- The Hawkeyes have found a running back (Shonn Greene) and several young playmakers on defense, but football still comes down to the quarterback position, and Iowa remains a mystery there. It seems like whoever comes off the bench -- Jake Christensen or Ricky Stanzi -- outplays the starter. Coach Kirk Ferentz might need to just pick a guy already because the rotation isn't working.

8. Purdue -- Staring straight at another crushing loss, the Boilermakers came up big against a solid Central Michigan team. Senior running back Kory Sheets continued to show he can handle the featured role by rushing for the game-winning touchdown. Purdue's playmaking secondary has become one of the team's strengths. A road win against Notre Dame would move the Boilers higher.

9. Minnesota -- I kept the Gophers in the basement after three wins, but a 37-3 win against Florida Atlantic made me a believer. Coordinator Ted Roof has ignited the nation's worst defense in 2007, as an influx of junior college transfers and several holdovers have meshed so far. Minnesota is forcing turnovers on defense and limiting mistakes on offense. Quarterback Adam Weber has been fabulous so far.

10. Michigan -- I'll be surprised if the Wolverines end up here at the end of the season, but it might be awhile before they move up. Wisconsin and Illinois visit the Big House the next two weeks, and Michigan needs an upset to keep its bowl hopes alive. A defense that struggled against Notre Dame must step against Wisconsin's power run game, and both Steven Threet and Sam McGuffie need to take another step forward.

11. Indiana -- Saturday marked the first chance for us to learn something about Indiana, and it wasn't promising. Two cupcake games didn't prepare the Hoosiers for a formidable Ball State team. Indiana's defensive front couldn't stop MiQuale Lewis, and Hoosiers quarterback Kellen Lewis had a rough night throwing the ball. The Hoosiers have a chance to move up by beating Michigan State at home on Saturday, but they deserved to drop.
Gotta agree with them for the most part
 09-24-2008, 04:10 PM         #126
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Empires Strike Back?

Before the season began, it said here that Tried and True would be a two-touchdown favorite over Topsy and Turvy, the twins who dominated the 2007 season. The prediction seemed like a sure thing because (a) the odds of unranked teams beating top-five teams 13 times seemed long and (b) specifically, teams such as USC, Oklahoma and Georgia all had a lot of returning starters.

As we reach the final weekend of September, the Trojans, Sooners and Bulldogs are a combined 9-0. So far, so brilliant. But three more traditional powers are lending even more credence to the prediction. The problem is, no one on this end of the conversation had any idea that No. 8 Alabama, No. 12 Penn State and still-unranked Nebraska would start off this well.

You remember those three, don't you?

They won or split four of six national championships from 1992-1997. And that doesn't include Penn State's 12-0 team in 1994, They have combined to win 12 AP national titles. And, at various times to varying degrees, they have dropped off the edge of the ranking world in the past several years.

These three schools come to mind not only because they are a combined 11-0. Each school plays a game on Saturday that will gauge just how good it is. The Crimson Tide plays at No. 3 Georgia (ESPN, 7:45 p.m. ET). Penn State opens its Big Ten schedule at home against No. 22 Illinois (ABC, 8 p.m. ET). The Huskers play at home against once-beaten Virginia Tech (ABC, 8 p.m. ET). Win, and the hopes for 2008 will begin to look like reality. Lose, and reality will land like a bucket of cold water to the face.

"These are the kind of games that you should come to a place like the University of Alabama to play in," Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said Monday, according to a transcript.

Someone asked Saban about the challenge of playing a team coached by Mark Richt.

"They are sound and solid in everything they do," Saban said. "They are always physical. They always play with great effort and toughness. They are always going to have great skill players. That has always a been a trademark of his teams. They have good quarterback play and great skill players on offense, a lot of players on defense who play with toughness and can run. They are well-coached, disciplined and are always going to be in the right spot. You are going to have to beat them, and they are not going to beat themselves very much."

That description describes the difference between the Alabama, Penn State and Nebraska teams of recent years and where those three teams would like to be. September is full of champions. Surviving into sweater weather, and then coat weather, make a season worth a memory.

New Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has made the Huskers' defense respectable again. A month ago, that's all Nebraska requested. With a taste of victory, however, comes the craving for more, especially if you used to dine on it every Saturday.

The Penn State offense has scored more points and gained more yards than anyone imagined before the season began. The play of senior quarterback Daryll Clark has left mouths agape from one end of the Happy Valley to the other. Clark leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency (165.6). The running ability of redshirt freshmen Evan Royster and Stephfon Green and an offensive line that has meshed as well as hoped has resulted in a big-play offense. In four games, the Nittany Lions have produced 29 runs or passes of 20 yards or more. In 13 games last season, they had a total of 53.

It is true that Penn State has played no team remotely as skilled as the Illini. That's exactly what makes Saturday so important for the Nittany Lions, the Tide and the Huskers.
 09-24-2008, 09:26 PM         #127
ai3theanswer  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
even if they do go undefeated they dont deserve to play in the national championship game. they need a real non conference schedule especially with a weaker big 10 this season. imo if an sec team like florida or georgia has 1 loss and wins the sec they deserve to be in the national championship over psu.
 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM         #128
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
So Penn state whhoped Oregon state 45-14. Therfore Penn state>Oregon state>usc Which means Penn state = #1 team in the nation. Hey it's a good way of thinking
 09-25-2008, 11:47 PM         #129
Vincent Vega  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jordanshoes said:
So Penn state whhoped Oregon state 45-14. Therfore Penn state>Oregon state>usc Which means Penn state = #1 team in the nation. Hey it's a good way of thinking

i wish it was like that ha. seriously tho, i think penn st. continues to dominate this week agaisnt illinois. maybe not dominate them, but it could be a close conference game. anyway I like penn st 34-21
 9 years ago '05        #130
randumb0 
space
space
$789 | Props total: 1 1
lol @ this thread being relevant now i used to think it was a joke
 09-26-2008, 11:39 AM         #131
ai3theanswer  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 randumb0 said:
lol @ this thread being relevant now i used to think it was a joke
The only reason it is relevent is because the convincingly beat weak opponents. The Oregon State game is irrelevent because they a traditionally a strong team in Corvallis, however not so on the road. And not to mention they played NCAA powerhouses Temple, Syracuse, and Coastal Carolina. I kind of wish they do make the championship game just to see them get terribly embarrassed by real talent.
 9 years ago '04        #132
NoLedge18720 5 heat pts
space
space
space
 ai3theanswer said:
The only reason it is relevent is because the convincingly beat weak opponents. The Oregon State game is irrelevent because they a traditionally a strong team in Corvallis, however not so on the road. And not to mention they played NCAA powerhouses Temple, Syracuse, and Coastal Carolina. I kind of wish they do make the championship game just to see them get terribly embarrassed by real talent.
Well at least PSU beat their weak opponents...cant really say the same for Michigan. And FSU is nothing to be excited about. Im not a fan of PSU but its funny how you shoot them down when your teams are a.ss.
 09-26-2008, 11:48 AM         #133
Vincent Vega  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ai3theanswer said:
they got their tough games in front of them. that will be the true test. u mad cause michigan fell the fu*k off?
 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM         #134
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
no one is talking Penn state up like that...yeah they are undefeated but everyone knows they haven't really played anyone yet. But what has me excited is how they have looked in the games and dominated every team. This is tv first year Penn state is fully using their offensive potential. But tomorrow night should be a good gauge of how good Penn state really is
 9 years ago '05        #135
OMEGAMAN 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,532 | Props total: 18 18
 ai3theanswer said:
Whoa, where is all the hate coming from? We beat our cupcake teams CONVINCINGLY, which is more than a lot of schools can say. And don't get me started on the fact everyone thinks that we play a high number. Tons of top teams do, look at LSU's OOC schedule. Its also not our fault that Syracuse was put on the schedule after they had a 10-2 season. Can't help that they fell off hard.

We can also say that Michigan hasn't played anyone, and they still lost a few games. And don't get me started on the Noles...lets just say Joe Pa finally has the record that belonged rightfully with him a long time ago.

But I'm not mad at all of the hate, winning our games will shut everyone up. Thats all we have to do.
 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM         #136
ai3theanswer  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Vincent Vega said:
they got their tough games in front of them. that will be the true test. u mad cause michigan fell the fu*k off?
im not mad at all. i didn't expect anything from michigan this year, all im saying is why should PSU even have the opportunity to play in a national championship when they really wouldn't have been battle tested at all.

In response to OMEGAMAN about LSU's non-conference schedule, you can afford to have a weaker non conference schedule when you play in the SEC, and at the end of the season, if they make it, there is a conference championship game to get through, which the Big Ten does not have.

All this is for nothing though because even though PSU has a sh*tty schedule they still wont beat OSU.
 9 years ago '04        #137
JBeezy 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,933 | Props total: 414 414
I think Michigan has a shot tomorrow.......if their D-Line plays up to their capabilities. Plus two more weeks of preparation with the offense.
 09-27-2008, 04:27 AM         #138
SmooveDude  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JBeezy said:
I think Michigan has a shot tomorrow.......if their D-Line plays up to their capabilities. Plus two more weeks of preparation with the offense.
yea we should play better, we lost becuse of all them fumbles....was it 7 or somethin like that, eliminate them and we win by 14 or more
 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM         #139
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JBeezy said:
Should be interesting to see how both teams do...I dont know if I believe Wisconsin is that good

On a Penn State note:

Blue-and-white juggernaut or just a fluke?

No. 12 Penn State handled its nonconference schedule with its high-octane offense, though questions still lurk about whether the undefeated Nittany Lions are the real deal.

It sounds a lot like the whispers surrounding No. 22 Illinois and whether it's just a one-year wonder following the dramatic 2007 run to the Rose Bowl.

Answers will come Saturday night, when the Nittany Lions (4-0) host the Illini (2-1) in the Big Ten opener for both teams.

"We're champing at the bit a little bit," Penn State's first-year starting quarterback Daryll Clark said. "Hopefully we can make a statement come Saturday and say, 'OK, this team is for real here.'"

Penn State leads the conference in scoring (52.8 points per game), and the mobile Clark has looked poised in running the team's so-called "Spread HD" offense.

It's more than enough cushion for a defense holding teams to 10 points a game and getting constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks, despite injuries and suspensions along the defensive line.

"A bunch of big, strong athletic guys ... Some of the backups we think are just as good as their starters," Illinois coach Ron Zook said. "They are going to make you make mistakes."

The Nittany Lions may have gained more respect for their early success long before the 8 p.m. kickoff Saturday, when Oregon State upset top-ranked Southern California, 27-21 on Thursday. Oregon State was routed by the Nittany Lions, 45-14, three weeks ago.

Suddenly, Penn State's nonconference schedule doesn't look so bad — even though the other three victories came against Syracuse, Temple and FCS school Coastal Carolina.

Receiver Deon Butler understands why some observers might be skeptical.

"I can understand the outsider's view," Butler said earlier this week. "I think our players are a little bit more confident in ourselves. ... We go to practice every day, and we see it day in and day out."

Like Penn State, there are questions about Illinois' recent success.

Illinois hasn't been overly impressive so far, losing its season opener to Missouri in a shootout. They scored an easy win over Eastern Illinois, but struggled in a three-point victory over Louisiana-Lafayette two weeks ago.

Zook vows his team will be prepared Saturday, especially after getting a bye last week. The Illini also have the added confidence from last year's 27-20 win over Penn State in Champaign.

"This is a big-stage game. The Missouri game was a big-stage game. We've been in that atmosphere already this year," Zook said. "Although we haven't played the way we want to play, that part is not going to be a concern, I don't believe."

Illinois will have to contain Penn State's offensive stars, including Clark, Butler, tailback Evan Royster and wideouts Jordan Norwood and Derrick Williams.

For Illinois, Arrelious Benn is a threat at receiver and on kick returns — he returned a kick 90 yards against the Nittany Lions last season. Quarterback Juice Williams leads the Big Ten in total offense (313.7 yards per game).

Penn State's defense should get a boost with the expected return of defensive linemen Maurice Evans and Abe Koroma from a three-game suspension for an off-field issue.
 09-27-2008, 01:12 PM         #140
jordanshoes  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Shortly after being named Penn State's starting quarterback, Daryll Clark used some word play with the title of the team's new offense -- the Spread HD -- to illustrate whether the unit would sink or swim this fall.

"Hopefully HD will stand for hi-def, highly diverse," Clark said. "And hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a huge dud."

Four games into the season, the former looks like the correct interpretation. Few teams in the country have been as multifaceted on offense as No. 12 Penn State, which ranks among the top eight nationally in scoring (52.8 ppg), rushing (274.3 ypg) and total yards (538.5 ypg).

The Nittany Lions have four regular ball-carriers, including Clark, who average at least 5.9 yards per carry. Leading rusher Evan Royster averages a blistering 8.1 yards per carry, and speedy backup Stephfon Green isn't far behind (7.3 ypg). The team's three senior wide receivers -- Jordan Norwood, Deon Butler and Derrick Williams -- all average at least 14 yards per reception.

Penn State has had six different players rush for a touchdown and the same number catch a scoring strike from Clark, backup Pat Devlin and third-stringer Paul Cianciolo.

That qualifies as diverse.

Comparing the current system to its predecessor, it's as if the Lions traded in their black-and-white TV for one with hi-def capabilities.

"Being able to use all the weapons we have has really helped," Royster said. "I don't think [the switch] needed to happen. I just think it fits our personnel. We could have success with a pocket quarterback that can throw the ball. It's really all about the people you have and what you have to work with."

Running a system that uses all of its available resources has built greater confidence across the board.

"Everybody's trusting each other a lot more than they did last year," center A.Q. Shipley said.

The trust trickles down from Clark, who brings a new attitude and skill set to the offense. Shipley likened Clark's demeanor to Michael Robinson, Clark's Penn State predecessor and mentor.

"He does a heck of a job commanding respect," Shipley said. "He plays with a lot of confidence, a lot of swagger. It carries over to everyone on the rest of the team.

The junior leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency (166.1 rating), answering some questions about his throwing skills with seven touchdown tosses against only one interception. Perhaps more important, Clark gives Penn State another rushing threat, averaging 6.8 yards a carry.

After watching Clark's quick start, head coach Joe Paterno admitted this week that he's second-guessing himself for not using Clark in place of Anthony Morelli down the stretch last season.

"Having a mobile quarterback makes things a lot easier when you play at this level," Royster said. "We're able to put in a couple option plays, a couple designed quarterback run plays. It really keeps the defense guessing. They can place their mind on stopping us, and if we can distract them with Daryll and get somebody else open, that's what we'll do."

It's important to note that Penn State's early surge hasn't taken place against A-list defenses. Oregon State is the highest-ranked unit the Lions have faced (49th) to this point.

Clark acknowledged he hasn't had to change plays at the line of scrimmage. Royster struggles to evaluate his own play through the first four games because he has spent most of the third and fourth quarters on the sidelines as his teammates add to Penn State's sizable leads.

No. 22 Illinois certainly will provide a better barometer for Penn State on Saturday night at Beaver Stadium (ABC, 8 p.m. ET). But Clark sees value in the string of tune-up games.

"When you have a new quarterback or someone in a position where they haven't played before, you need a couple of games that aren't too difficult," he said. "Those are confidence-building games, and when they go right, it makes you feel better going into the big games."

The first four games definitely went right for Clark and the Lions, who enter the Illinois game stocked with confidence. Royster thought the timing of the new offense would be a challenge at first, but the strong start has Lions players trumpeting a different T-word.

"The coaches have gained a lot of trust in the guys to go out and make plays," Clark said. "They've put a lot of trust in me to execute that offense. I don't think I've done anything for them to distrust it.

"It all comes back to the weapons: the run game, the pass game, the quarterback run game. We can hit defenses from all different angles."
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
194 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
77 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
29 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
65 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
30 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
25 comments
21 hours ago