NFL Todd Todd Todd Mcshay first mock.
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
74 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM         #1
5622 pageviews
92 comments

tmich19 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aug 18 - 16-year-old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero

Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:29PM EDT

Regular readers know that I love video games as much as the next guy. In fact, my right ankle is still sore from drumming my way through a marathon Rock Band session last night (who knew calibrating the TV would make such a difference!?), and I'm always looking for the latest titles to pop into my Xbox.

But how much gaming is too much? For North Carolina native Blake Peebles, there's no such thing. Guitar Hero is his title of choice. "I usually play till I can't anymore," he says, in this profile from the News & Observer.

In fact, young Mr. Peebles is dropping out of high school... in order to focus on Guitar Hero full time. Peebles hopes to join the small but growing crew of players looking to make gaming a job. Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process. As the story notes, top gamers on the competitive circuit can earn up to $80,000 a year (though $25,000 is more common). Peebles, of course, can count his 52 Chick-fil-A combo meals toward that total.

I was at first inclined to disparage the decision by his parents to let Peebles drop out of school, but it seems a little less ridiculous when you delve into the facts. Peebles hadn't been doing well in school and wasn't liked, and even now he isn't gaming full time. He has a tutor that provides a private education, and his parents say he's doing well with the more focused instruction and that their son now even does his homework without complaint. (Presumably he can hit the axe sooner after he's finished his studies.)

However, I worry that Peebles, who's just 16, may have a tough road ahead trying to break into competitive gaming. The costs of traveling to tournaments alone can totally outstrip earnings, and the amount of training can be grueling. Sponsorships are often a pipe dream. And then there's the issue of games going out of date and being replaced by something new.

Traditional athletes never have to worry about, say, distance running being upgraded with a new version, but many games can go out of style, fast. In the end, there's just not much cash there: One gamer, quoted at the end of the linked article, says that in eight years his total earnings are about $25,000 total, and that's including a national championship in Halo 2.

What do you think, parents? Did Peebles' folks do the right thing in letting their son drop out of school?

[pic - click to view]

http://www.yahoo.com/s/937784

Last edited by tmich19; 08-18-2008 at 09:09 PM..

92 comments for "Aug 18 - 16-year-old drops out of school to play Guitar Hero"

08-18-2008, 09:20 PM         #2
iThink  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches,"
I died right here.
 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM         #3
SignalSoldier  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
there will always be people like him to make my Mickey D's Sweet Tea.
 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM         #4
twist805  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
f*ckin white kids
go to school, get a good education, and play guitar hero when your done wit your homework
 9 years ago '05        #5
b_eazy 61 heat pts61
space
space
$17,705 | Props total: 2339 2339
if he's content wit $25000/ yr then let the lame do him

On some real talk though, there's no way I'd ever let my son pull some sh*t like this, he need some btter guidance.
 9 years ago '05        #6
whywoogy 
space
space
$1,149 | Props total: 0 0
 twist805 said:
f*ckin white kids
go to school, get a good education, and play guitar hero when your done wit your homework
when did the article state this kid was white? step your way of thinking up man....even if the dude is white who gives a fu*k.....your statement should read "fu*king humans"

humans do stupid sh*t no matter what the color of their skin....your ignorant and will continue to fail at life by thinking the way you do
 9 years ago '07        #7
eggosiazon 
space
space
$1,788 | Props total: 0 0
guitar hero is a hell of a game...
 08-18-2008, 09:53 PM         #8
twist805  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 whywoogy said:
when did the article state this kid was white? step your way of thinking up man....even if the dude is white who gives a fu*k.....your statement should read "fu*king humans"

humans do stupid sh*t no matter what the color of their skin....your ignorant and will continue to fail at life by thinking the way you do
you can easily tell by his last name, and yes alot of humans are f*cked, but since they are talkin bout this kid and itz easy as hell to tell he is white then imma say "f*ckin white kids", and just cuz i made that statement doesnt mean imma fail at life please
 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM         #9
gotocollege  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 twist805 said:
f*ckin white kids
white kids? i think you just mean kids, im pretty sure black and latino kids drop out more often
 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM         #10
iThink  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 b_eazy said:
if he's content wit $25000/ yr then let the lame do him

On some real talk though, there's no way I'd ever let my son pull some sh*t like this, he need some btter guidance.
It said $25,000 in EIGHT years

Dude is setting himself up for total, epic, life failure.
 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM         #11
qstr8  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I ain't gonna blast da lil dude even tho he needs to take his a.ss back to school. I can't talk, I dropped outa college for beatin da sh*t out n*ggas in Madden. Just quit goin to school. I was superb though while it lasted. I beat n*ggas dat was winning Madden tournaments that were in Baltimore and various places. Dis n*gga need to learn from me... now I got a mothafu*kin uniform n da mothafu*kin military.
 9 years ago '04        #12
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
This thread made me think about South Park.

Heroin Hero
Chicken san-wich -Goobacks
 9 years ago '05        #13
whywoogy 
space
space
 twist805 said:
you can easily tell by his last name, and yes alot of humans are f*cked, but since they are talkin bout this kid and itz easy as hell to tell he is white then imma say "f*ckin white kids", and just cuz i made that statement doesnt mean imma fail at life please
so im guessing Ann Peebles and Mario Van Peebles are white?

you keep on making ignorant statements and are not proving anything but your closed mind....again yes step up they way you think or you will continue to fail at life
 9 years ago '05        #14
KingCapo 
space
space
space
$2,792 | Props total: 94 94
 twist805 said:
Melvin Van Peebles anyone?

And you are ignorant.
 9 years ago '05        #15
Dat 1 Dude 
space
space
$3,544 | Props total: 276 276
dude tripping.. but it said he got a tutor, so as long as he get his ged, then i guess.. my child wouldn't pull no sh*t like tho..
 9 years ago '05        #16
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,555 | Props total: 1156 1156
 SignalSoldier said:
there will always be people like him to make my Mickey D's Sweet Tea.
exactly. sh*t i got 1 semester left of college then i start grad school in spring. and i think this the competition of our generation when getting jobs is a fu*ken joke. these baby ma fu*kers cry about everything. everything seems unfair and too hard and ma fu*ker just give in. i can't wait to take the best paying job with ease cus ma fu*kers like this dude are bi*ch a.ss babies.
 9 years ago '05        #17
whywoogy 
space
space
 KingCapo said:
Melvin Van Peebles anyone?

And you are ignorant.

marios dad....yes this dude is ignorant
 9 years ago '06        #18
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
 twist805 said:
f*ckin white kids
did u just say something that stupid?? Like there's not black kids that drop out?
 08-18-2008, 10:21 PM         #19
twist805  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
maybe i am ignorant i dont give a f*ck, just cuz my judgement on one thing was far from the best doesnt mean imma fail at life, please im pretty well educated but i like to talk sh*t from time to time sooo
 08-18-2008, 10:31 PM         #20
ElMarroAfamado  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 gotocollege said:
white kids? i think you just mean kids, im pretty sure black and latino kids drop out more often
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
129 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
19 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now