Official 2.40 Thread (2.41 Available for Download)

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
58 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 14 - The FCC just killed net neutrality
77 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
71 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #41
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22
space
space
$3,510 | Props total: 30 30
Part two bi*ches

9 years ago '04        #42
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
will in-game streaming work?
 9 years ago '05        #43
natural 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,954 | Props total: 3 3
trophies video is up too now!
 9 years ago '04        #44
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
Wow godz is officially a Sony Pony
 9 years ago '05        #45
natural 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,954 | Props total: 3 3
and Sony confirmed that July 2 dat e
 9 years ago '05        #46
GodzMustBeCrazy 31 heat pts31
space
space
$6,061 | Props total: 699 699
PS3's trophy system explained

First off: thank goodness they're not actually called "entitlements." No – Sony has gone simple with its in-game rewards / bragging rights system, settling on the concept of "trophies" for rewarding players for their ... achievements in games.

We had the opportunity to see exactly how the trophy system will work, which games will support it, and more nitty-gritty details that you can read about after the break!

No beating around the bush – Sony's "trophies" are Microsoft's "achievements." Except that there's no Gamerscore point equivalent. Instead, PS3 owners get a revamped version of their user profile that displays how many trophies they've earned, how many of which type – platinum, golf silver or bronze – they have, and what their current "level" is.

[pic - click to view]

The first two games to support trophies will the Sony-published PixelJunk Eden (we saw the XMB screen, but not the game, unfortunately) and Super Stardust HD. The former will be the first PS3 title to feature trophies right out of the gate; the latter will add them via a downloadable update.

Here's the unfortunate news: you'll need to earn trophies in games that are patched to include them even if you've already completely beaten the game. For example, if GTA IV received a trophy update, you'd need to play through it again – even if you achieved 100% completion – in order to earn its trophies.
"You earn a platinum trophy for unlocking every other trophy in a game for ultimate bragging rights."

From the sound of things, though, there's not a lot of movement in terms of already-released titles receiving trophy support. According to Sony, developers would need to go back in and add the "trigger values" that unlock a trophy, something we could only expect larger developers to undertake on titles that already have Xbox 360 achievements.

Still, Sony is going to be offering trophies in two more of its PSN titles for PS3, Pain and Warhawk, at an undisclosed date.

The really interesting aspects of trophies that we noted during our demo of firmware 2.40 are: a "level" system, which takes into account the number of trophies you've earned and displays your progress via a percentage bar towards the next level; developers can customize the trophy achievement art to fit their games; and you earn a platinum trophy for unlocking every other trophy in a game for ultimate bragging rights.

[pic - click to view]

The new XMB (in-game and out) lets you quickly view your trophies (the new icon is located under the Games section of the XMB) as well as compare you collection side-by-side against people on your PSN friends list. In this view, you can see when you and your friend earned the trophy. Plus, a quick description of what's required to earn a certain trophy is always displayed below its name for easy reference.

We're glad to see Sony finally realizing the appeal of an achievement awards system. It's very similar to what Microsoft offers, but that's fine. It's actually the closest 2.40 comes to mimicking Xbox Live, plus elements such as the "gamer level" – and being able to see if someone is more of a "bronze gamer" than a "gold gamer," for example – is intriguing.
Source:
 9 years ago '05        #48
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,085 | Props total: 10767 10767
damn... now I gotta make a choice... do i want achievements, or trophies when it comes to multiplats...

FUKK U SONY!

nah but really though, good sh*t
 9 years ago '05        #49
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3

[pic - click to view]

Hype now man. Good ish from Sony for finally getting this out. Now we just need home. Im actually a bit more interested in trophies now then achievements. the XMB looks clean as fu*k too.
 9 years ago '04        #50
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 TaNk85 said:
XBL>PSN......? still?
Yup, but it's not by much at all. sh*t i may just be because of the content at this point. Color me very, very impressed. They pretty much took everything that XBL had and implemented it and in some cases made it better. I think the trophy system is dope and better than the achievements because of the Platinum ones. Live is officially not worth 50 bucks a year after Wednesday, but I haven't had to pay in three years because my wife gets one year cards all the time from work. I would pay though because I want to be able to play online with both consoles. When Sony gets their movies & tv sh*t up look out. M$ is gonna have to lower the price of Live or something. I can't wait to mess around with this, I hope a lot of games get patched for the trophies and most if not all games going forward support this feature.
 9 years ago '04        #51
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,208 | Props total: 102 102
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
 9 years ago '04        #52
GoSensGo 13 heat pts13
space
space
$3,817 | Props total: 454 454
Wow, gonna be wasted on Canada Day (July 1st), then all hungover on July 2nd. What a nice surprise to wake up to! :) lol
 9 years ago '05        #53
GodzMustBeCrazy 31 heat pts31
space
space
$6,061 | Props total: 699 699
 e G o Maniac said:
Wow godz is officially a Sony Pony
If you say so...everyone knows that I am not a fan of Xbox LIVE and I refuse to pay to play my games...
 9 years ago '04        #54
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
 GodzMustBeCrazy said:
If you say so...everyone knows that I am not a fan of Xbox LIVE
Or anything else Xbox for that matter.
 9 years ago '04        #55
Peter Starks™ 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,217 | Props total: 223 223
So i have to wait for Cagney to play my own songs... (burnout)
wow. that sucks.
 9 years ago '04        #56
ucantseeme004 58 heat pts58
space
space
$4,102 | Props total: 1 1
DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnn

great sh*t sony!
 9 years ago '06        #57
kpdawg2006 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,821 | Props total: 186 186
*clap* *clap* finally the "sony pony" has crossed the finish line...

up next LBP n 2.5...
 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM         #58
_QD_  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
:applause:
 06-30-2008, 11:28 AM         #59
jhj2004  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
just in time for NCAA 09 and Madden 09!!!! beeyatch!!!
 9 years ago '05        #60
bgj887 
space
space
$1,517 | Props total: 30 30
ign 2.40 impressions

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
37 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
89 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
30 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy