EARLY QB Debate: E. Manning vs. T. Romo

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
33 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
52 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who would lead "your" team?
Tony Romo 34 41.98%
Eli Manning 40 49.38%
Undecided 7 8.64%
Voters: 81. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 06-24-2008, 06:22 PM         #1
11516 pageviews
481 comments

texasplayboy_23 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
EARLY QB Debate: E. Manning vs. T. Romo

QB debate: Breaking down the Romo vs. Eli Manning argument

By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst

[pic - click to view]

The Eli Manning vs. Tony Romo debate has been raging over the airwaves this offseason.

The No. 1 debate this spring on my radio show "Moving the Chains" on Sirius NFL Radio has been which QB is better, Tony Romo or Eli Manning?

Cowboys fans contend the argument isn't close, Romo by a landslide. The Giants fans feel the Super Bowl victory ends the debate. Cowboys fans are quick to remind Giants fans that most of the Big Blue faithful were trying to run Eli Manning out of town halfway through the 2007 season. The Giants fans keep asking how can the Cowboys fans be so loyal to a guy who has never won a playoff game? The raging debate has been spirited, to say the least, as fans get emotional. I thought it would be a good time to tag the argument with some facts and figures.

Eli Manning and Tony Romo have both played enough in the past two seasons to compare their production. While Romo has been in the NFL longer, Eli Manning has been on the field longer. Some categories can be compared head-to-head while others will be discussed by percentages. My intent is not to direct you to decide which man is the best player, but to help you decide which guy you like more and at least have some facts to back up the opinion in case you run into a Cowboys/Giants argument over the summer.

Let's start at the top and work backward.

The playoff comparison

Eli Manning is now 4-2 in playoff games, including a victory in Super Bowl XLII. Romo is 0-2 in playoff games. Eli Manning has completed 59.7 percent of his passes; Romo has connected on 53.8 percent. Eli Manning has thrown a touchdown pass 1:20.5 pass attempts, Romo has hit pay dirt 1:32.5 attempts. Manning has been sacked 1:13 attempts in the playoffs; Romo has only gone to the turf 1:17 throws. Eli Manning averages 6.8 yards per pass attempt and 11.5 yards per completion. Romo averages 6.0 yards per attempt and 11.1 per completion. --Advantage: Manning--

Regular season comparison

- Tony Romo -
Att: 520
Comp: 335
Yards: 4,211
TD/INT: 36/19
Rating: 97.4

- Eli Manning -
Att: 529
Comp: 297
Yards: 3,336
TD/INT: 23/20
Rating: 73.9

Over the past two seasons Eli Manning has thrown 1,051 passes to Romo's 857 so there is enough similarity to weigh the results. Eli Manning connected on 57 percent of his passes with 47 touchdown passes and 38 interceptions; he was sacked 52 times. Tony Romo completed 65 percent of his passes with 55 touchdowns and 32 interceptions; he was sacked 45 sacks. --Advantage: Romo--

Division play

There's not a coach alive who doesn't say your team has to be built to win the division. Since Eli Manning took over as the QB, the Giants have gone 14-10 in the division, winning 58.3% of their games. Romo has gone 6-5 in the division, winning 54.5% of their games. Romo is closing in on Eli Manning but the Giants QB has never had a losing division record in four years, while Romo went 1-3 his first year. --Advantage: Manning--

Personal stats (last two seasons)

Eli Manning has connected on 69 passes over 20 yards. Romo has done it 73 times in 194 less attempts. As for 300-yard passing games, Eli Manning has just six in his career and three over the past two years, recording a 2-1 record in those games. Romo has hit the 300 mark 10 times in the past two seasons and boasts a 9-1 record in those games. --Advantage: Romo--

So after this breakdown it is a split decision, but if you like playoff football and division play Eli Manning is the winner. If you like regular season and personal achievements then Romo is the winner.

Tune into my radio show this week and weigh in with your opinion. Maybe a non-Cowboys or Giants fan can bring their opinion to the most heated debate this spring.

481 comments for "EARLY QB Debate: E. Manning vs. T. Romo"

06-24-2008, 06:25 PM         #2
StateZFinest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
so eli wins in the categories that matter
 9 years ago '08        #3
El Fuerte 
space
space
$3,902 | Props total: 1700 1700

[pic - click to view]

good read tho...
 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM         #4
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StateZFinest said:
Unfortunately:(...until Romo changes that this season.

....DAMN I hope he changes that this season.:banghead:
 9 years ago '08        #5
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,937 | Props total: 7337 7337
Eli fu*ked up because his teamates were no where to be found in the season. Weve seen that happen to Romo and how bad he plays as well. "Redskins vs Cowboys game". Eli has graduated in the playoffs with a good team. Tho he might never put up those reg season stats like Romo does they will be much closer this year and Eli will mos def pass that n*gga.
 9 years ago '04        #6
goke11429 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,252 | Props total: 12 12
 StateZFinest said:
nuff said
 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM         #7
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I obviously think it's too early to tell, but do people think Romo will end up being in the same boat as Marino? "...all stats and no ring".
 9 years ago '08        #8
El Fuerte 
space
space
$3,902 | Props total: 1700 1700
 garrett said:
ahhh sh*t accidently voted for homo in the poll :banghead:

i think eli is being a little overrated since the sb but i'd still take him over the choke artist at this point.

coming from a Redskins fan...close thread
 06-24-2008, 06:50 PM         #9
lilt9484  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Romo is no where near a Marino not even close no comparison.................

I think in this league it comes down to who can stay in the pocket and complete passes with defensive pressure......

I think Eli is a better pocket passer than romo so i would go with him
 9 years ago '04        #10
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
Eli no question
 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM         #11
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 garrett said:
ahhh sh*t accidently voted for homo in the poll :banghead:

i think eli is being a little overrated since the sb but i'd still take him over the choke artist at this point.
:finger:

El Fuerte said:
coming from a Redskins fan...close thread
And you get 2.:finger::finger:

lilt9484 said:
Romo is no where near a Marino not even close no comparison.................

I think in this league it comes down to who can stay in the pocket and complete passes with defensive pressure......

I think Eli is a better pocket passer than romo so i would go with him
Try paying attention @sshole...I said "the same boat as Marino"...keywords: SAME BOAT. No one's comparing Romo to Dan Marino as QB's, otherwise I would've made a Romo vs. Marino thread instead.:rolleyes::slap:
 9 years ago '05        #12
natural 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,954 | Props total: 3 3
Romo > E. Manning

This time next year Jason Campbell's name will be in this discussion.
 9 years ago '04        #13
GoldynChyld421 
space
space
space
$7,954 | Props total: 707 707
Eli of course RIGHT NOW...

But Romo will be better in the future...

Plus, I'm not too sure Eli doesn't have some kind of mental disability...
 9 years ago '04        #14
NeXPhazE 
space
space
space
$669 | Props total: 6 6
Im a bring the 5 qbs better than romo into this

Brady>Peyton>Ben>Eli>Rivers>Romo
 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM         #15
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NeXPhazE said:
Im a bring the 5 qbs better than romo into this

Brady>Peyton>Ben>Eli>Rivers>Romo
I take it you put Ben and Eli over Romo because of their playoff history, but Rivers? Negroe please.

GoldynChyld421 said:
Plus, I'm not too sure Eli doesn't have some kind of mental disability...
 06-24-2008, 07:21 PM         #16
HeyImMax  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
They are both overrated.

Gimme Cool Chad P
 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM         #17
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Maroon_Tiger said:
more like "nice title tho...".. but eli wins hands down
If you didn't think it was a good read you could've QUIETLY left the thread...oh nvm, I forgot who I was talking about here.
 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM         #18
lilt9484  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 texasplayboy_23 said:
:finger:

And you get 2.:finger::finger:

Try paying attention @sshole...I said "the same boat as Marino"...keywords: SAME BOAT. No one's comparing Romo to Dan Marino as QB's, otherwise I would've made a Romo vs. Marino thread instead.:rolleyes::slap:

putting marino and romo in the "the same boat" is ccomparing the two

why mention marino if No one's comparing Romo to Dan Marino as QB's
 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM         #19
texasplayboy_23  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
:banghead:The "same boat" = relating two situations...which is a HUGE difference between comparing two people...are you still in school?
 9 years ago '06        #20
eLLz 1 heat pts
space
space
$18,562 | Props total: 1 1
Manning 1st 2 playoff games

1. At home against Carolina: Carolina 23- Giants 0
10/18 (55% completion %)
113 Yards
35 QB Rating
3 Int's
0 TD's

2. At Philly: Eagles 23 Giants 20
16/27 (59% completion %)
161 Yards
85 QB Rating
2 TD's
1 Int

Funny thing is that Romo is a botched snap from winning a game, he is the one who led us down field on that pass to Witten to even attempt a game winning FG.... Dallas were underdogs in that game

I think its funny to call someone whos started 1 1/2 years a choke artist.... Ill take the QB who put up a better season then Tom Brady ever did pre-Moss, its a combination of things that made us lose to the Giants (offensive line play a big one and a bullsh*t call where they said Ware was offsides when he wasnt, that play that they called offsides on was a 3rd down, instead the drive continued and Toomer caught that long a.ss pass for a TD next play for their 1st score... game is alot different if the Refs dont fu*k that up)

No need to justify the Seattle game, we had a chance to win a game that we werent supposed to win, Im not really mad

Last edited by eLLz; 06-24-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy