The Official Gears of War 2 Thread (Possible Spoilers)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
76 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
24 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
173 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
87 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM         #281
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
new dev diary video

showing new map avalanche where an actual avalanche comes and destroys all in its way and opens up more of the map...

also how they come up with achievement names like, dirty dirty hore or crossed swords
 9 years ago '04        #282
ddotdukes5 
space
space
$3,047 | Props total: 10 10
anybody notice the tab next to the neogaf tab? go look, you will get a great laugh
 10-11-2008, 09:58 PM         #283
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that aint the point. gears 2 aint out so anything about it story wise. is a spoiler, act 1 or the end of act 5.. dont matter
 10-11-2008, 09:58 PM         #284
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
oh and PS... read your own sig and get out please, thank you sir
 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM         #285
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
PPS. she never eluded to humans starting it, but that it will never end and locust will never stop
 10-11-2008, 10:06 PM         #286
BMS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fuk GOW another geeky game to embarress xbox
 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM         #288
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
anyway... you dodge the fact she never eluded to humans having anything to do with the locust invasion. she only implied, well she didn't imply, she outright said that this war isn't over and the locust will never stop... she never mentioned how, or why the locust just seemed to appear.
 9 years ago '04        #289
big jeffrey 
space
space
$2,387 | Props total: 359 359
im at work i cant see what the fu*k is goin on is it a youtube video? does this n*gga got a real copy of it? limited edition or what?
 9 years ago '07        #290
Benny2k 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,779 | Props total: 2 2
@ TrannySuprise.Com
 9 years ago '04        #291
jaybizzle 
space
space
$3,323 | Props total: 10 10
Wow good for him he got Gears 2 early, sad for him that hes looking at Trannys on the net
 9 years ago '04        #292
famoussasjohn 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,705 | Props total: 193 193
 NjGiant420 said:
@ TrannySuprise.Com
ya was about to post that

[pic - click to view]

lol 2nd tab.
 9 years ago '05        #293
Doe Stacks 
space
space
$4,703 | Props total: 131 131
^^^^ :laughing0: Exposed...All his peoples on NeoGaf probably sh*tting on son right now.
 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM         #294
Awperator2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Doe Stacks said:
^^^^ :laughing0: Exposed...All his peoples on NeoGaf probably sh*tting on son right now.
no one cares.. and their reason is because he's showing them videos and pics of gears maps.. and streaming. and i agree. did you see those pics of that palace place??? holy balls... s3xY!!!
 9 years ago '05        #295
Doe Stacks 
space
space
 Awperator2 said:
no one cares.. and their reason is because he's showing them videos and pics of gears maps.. and streaming. and i agree. did you see those pics of that palace place??? holy balls... s3xY!!!
Yo I think something is wrong wit you...like 4 real...U should prob get checked out or something.
 9 years ago '05        #296
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,095 | Props total: 10786 10786
I heard that people do that 'weird tab" website as a joke just get some "ha ha's".
 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM         #297
DJ LEFTY_ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PutYouOnGame said:
who's mad...the person that cracks a joke or the person that triple posts because they can't organize their thoughts

you're projecting....that isn't a good look
i was thinkin the same thing
 9 years ago '04        #298
Dosia 
space
space
$1,609 | Props total: 0 0
It is a long time running joke on gaf. Don't ask.
 9 years ago '04        #299
Big War|M 
space
space
$14,187 | Props total: 1072 1072
 kuruption81 said:
Those were cartridges, they've always cost more to manufacture.
ps disks were cheaper to make, yet they still went for $50 a game...

at the end of the day, its all about supply and demand, these developers know that we are gonna pay $60-80 a game in this generation, b/c we've been consumers for years, sure i've always had a problem spending $50 a game, but did that stop me from buying them? NOPE...

manufacturing costs can but don't always play a part in the price as well, as we keep advancing in technology, sure its gonna cost more to produce these games, but to say that bootlegging is one of the reasons for the high price is pushing it, you couldn't mod your nintendo, snes, gamecube, etc. and even nowadays, you can't mod your ps3, yet that price is still up there with the xbox360, which you CAN mod...

its all a numbers game, as long as we keep buying it for this price, this price will remain, regardless of bootleggers...

if we didn't, these games would be a lot cheaper, or there would be no gaming industry anymore, cuz as much as they cost to make, nobody's gonna pay $100+ a game(see neo-geo), at least, not in this day and age...
 9 years ago '05        #300
Doe Stacks 
space
space
*************SPOILERS BELOW **********************

[pic - click to view]

I held back talking about the Gears campaign last week since a substantial amount of what I played was on co-op, which technically fell under the multiplayer embargo that expired today.

So, without further ado, my real thoughts on Gears of War 2.

Gears of War 2 is everything it’s supposed to be – the same loud, visceral war epic with a few new weapons, a few new characters and a whole lot more explosions. The plot has just as many cliffhangers as the first one (though it does wrap up the Maria storyline), and the conflict between Locusts and Humans is less resolved at the end of Gears 2 than it was at the end of Gears 1.

In short, Gears 2 is The Empire Strikes Back. And I, for one, think that’s a good thing.

I started out with the campaign. At first I entertained noob notions that I ought to try the Hardcore difficulty and then wisely went with Casual instead. We picked up (sort of) where we left off at the end of Gears – only now we were told during the intro cutscene that we hadn’t wiped out the Locusts with the Lightmass bomb and that the only city that hadn’t been sunk was Jacinto.

The tutorial (which I think you can skip) has you training green recruit Benjamin Carmine who bears a striking resemblance to Metal Gear Solid 4’s Akiba in many ways. Training is cut short when Locusts show up and you’ve got to run and gun through a hospital while waiting for an extraction team to save your a.ss.

Next up was a moving cutscene, complete with cheesy epic music and sprawling scenes of COG forces marching off to war.

[pic - click to view]

Now the gameplay got a little harder. We were set up on transports (Jawa sandcrawler-looking things) and had to defend both our transport and other transports from Locust attacks in the air and on the ground. The best strategy I came up with was manning the transport turret and alternating between mashing the trigger button and mashing the Left Shoulder to cool down the gun. This worked well enough against the swarms of ground forces that overtook one of the other transports out of my turret’s range; but it failed miserably when I had to take out the Locust that actually started driving the transport. I was summarily rammed off a bridge and down a cliff to my fiery doom.

Luckily, Gears 2 is pretty patient with you if you die and I loaded right back to a checkpoint just before the bridge with barely any downtime to seethe. Getting the message that the game wanted me to complete the level with a dominant strategy (shotgun), I left the turret to get right up against the “bulletproof” windshield of the offending transport and shoot it (and the driver) to high hell.

By now I had completely forgot what the plot was and why my unit was out in the middle of nowhere. On cue, a cutscene occurred, telling me I had to go to a specific point on a map so I could be shot down into the earth where we could look for the Locusts that were supposedly digging the ground out from beneath human cities to sink them.

At this point, another game journo wanted to jump into my game. I was at an auto-save point, so I quit out and then opened up the options to host a co-op game. (Still had to go through that tedious Xbox Dashboard exercise of accepting a friend request and firing off an invite… hopefully we won’t have to suffer that for long.)

Instantly, my partner dropped in as Dom and the two of us entered the next level where we were shot down into the earth.

I’ve always liked co-op; I’m what they call a social gamer. So I’m happy that Gears of War 2 improves the co-op from the first one by giving the other guy more to do – more enemies to shoot, an NPC to protect, stuff like that. And whenever we need to take diverging paths (which the game forces you to do about once every other level – otherwise, you’re free to go anywhere until a player hits a checkpoint and then you’re rubber-banded to the same area), each player gets a different weapon to specialize in. Like the guy who takes the high road gets the sniper rifle while the guy on the low road gets a mortar.

I wound up taking a path that provided me with a sniper rifle. Thus, I thought I’d have to provide cover for my co-op buddy who was down below with mulcher – but nope! I had to target weird orange fruits hanging from the ceiling and shoot them down one by one. This brought out an indigenous worm that functioned as living cover for my buddy down below – leaving me free to run ahead and start harrying Locusts holding choke points throughout the cave.

I seem to remember the moving cover from the first Gears – I think it was with cars.

[pic - click to view]

We made it to the end of the level where we began to encounter some of that religious junk the Gears 2 plot was peddling in some previews. At the risk of comparing Gears to Halo – I have to ask: what’s with shooters and religious organizations? Is it mere coincidence that Halo 2 featured the Arbiter as a primary antagonist and Gears 2 features Skorge, a leader of a Locust religious sect?

Whatever – it’s not like I thought I’d actually get to see Skorge before the day was out. The campaign mode on Casual takes a pretty solid 8 hours for the average gamer (maybe only 6 if you’re a hardcore gamer and you know where you’re going); that’s five acts with at least five chapters each. Normal mode took one of my fellow journalists about 12 hours (and was nice enough to let me come watch the ending cutscene). And Hardcore mode? We’re talking like 20 hours, give or take a few massive coronaries.

Anyway, my co-op buddy and I took on the priest-like Locust that was summoning (and healing) more hordes to shoot at us. We ran into some trouble since Carmine was tagging along with Dom – for the most part, Carmine can hold his own, but periodically he’d need babysitting. My co-op buddy thought he was with me, I thought he was with my co-op buddy. So when he went down, neither of us could find him in time to heal him and we lost the level when he bit it.

Stupid Carmine. I wish him a horrible death.

The next level was really gross. I checked the embargo info and it looks like I’m not supposed to talk about it at all – but seriously. Ew.

Moving onto the next level was the greatest joy of my life because we finally got a “story”
cutscene that teased us with info about Maria. I’ve been dying to find out what happened to her since the last game and it looked like I was finally going to get my answer when…

A PR rep tapped my shoulder. “We’ve got an hour left before we throw you out. Did you want to see Horde mode?”

What?! It had been five hours already?

[pic - click to view]

I was blown away – I never get that lost in anything but RTS games, simulations games and Zelda. And I hadn’t gotten the game over screen more than twice.

This magic epiphany of mine is the one you’re all hoping your girlfriend has when you play these games in front of her. I can’t guarantee that Gears will give it to her the way it did to me, but I think it’s a testament to how well made Gears of War 2 is that a non-shooter like me can become so wrapped up in the experience that we forget what makes us not like these games in the first place.

Gears of War 2 is out November 7. I’m buying it so I can co-op with Manfriend.

P.S. You might have heard that Gears of War 2 was adopting the cover system from Uncharted. I didn’t really notice the difference, but I still stuck to things once in a while while. Overall, it was smoother than the first game – but that’s what you expect from a sequel, isn’t it?

P.P.S. fu*k that fu*king water boss. You'll know who I'm talking about. *seethes*

Last edited by P-Hill; 10-16-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
186 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
70 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy