May 26 - YouTube-style porn threatens studios

most viewed right now
 175
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 106
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
169 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 85
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
23 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 73
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
188 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 05-26-2008, 01:02 AM         #1
27821 pageviews
119 comments


GypsyArtist 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
May 26 - YouTube-style pr0n threatens studios
 

 
YouTube-style pr0n threatens studios

By Adam Tanner in Las Vegas January 14, 2008 08:25am

AFTER years of booming sales supported by videotapes, DVDs and the internet, the adult film industry is being challenged by easy video-sharing websites offering explicit content for free.

"We're dealing with rampant piracy, tons of free content," said Steven Hirsch, co-founder of Vivid, the best-known adult film studio.

Vivid once earned 80 per cent of its roughly $100 million a year from DVD sales, but last year that fell to 30 per cent, Mr Hirsch said.

The challenge of the internet, a topic of discussion at the biggest adult film expo of the year in Las Vegas last week, has already presented itself to the music and mainstream film industries.

Much of the online competition for the US pr0n world, based largely in southern California, comes from websites like XTube.com which allow users to upload their own videos in a similar format to YouTube.

Some of the videos on XTube, based in Toronto, Canada, come from commercial studios while others are posted by amateurs.

"We're not pirates. We are providing a service that people think they can use to pirate," said Lance Cassidy, one of XTube's founders.

The website has 200,000 free videos, typically 30 seconds to two minutes long, and about 1 per cent of visitors buy DVDs or video streams, resulting in millions of dollars of annual revenue, sales director Curtis Potec said. About two thirds of XTube's viewers are gay, Mr Potec said.

"We've had tons and tons of people tell us this is the future of the adult industry," Mr Potec said.

"Most of the money is ads, on any site, mainstream or adult."

Scott Coffman, president of Adult Entertainment Broadcast Network (AEBN) in North Carolina, says his company started a YouTube-type site a year-and-a-half ago to generate revenue through advertising and drive traffic to pay-per-minute sites.

AEBN limits free clips to three minutes. Users make about a quarter of them.

"They don't convert that well when you give away so much. There is a fine line between giving away something small, a teaser... and giving away the whole thing," Mr Coffman said.

He said his company had revenue of about $100 million a year and was facing a lawsuit from Vivid accusing AEBN of piracy.

Mr Hirsch of Vivid said he would also sue other video-sharing sites.

"This industry is going to have to get together and look at these guys that are putting out the stuff for free... so they are going to have to get in line and start paying for it," Mr Hirsch said.

"If that doesn't happen and we see all of this free content out there, people are not going to be able to afford to produce movies anymore."

Videotapes, fewer prosecutions, DVDs and internet advertising has created an unprecedented boom the US adult film industry since the 1980s.

Many studios post short clips on internet video-sharing sites as advertising to sell more movies.

"This is something we constantly discuss in our office. Is it too much," said Garion Hall, chief executive of Abbywinters.com, an Australian-based company.

Hall said only one out of 500 viewers clicked over to his site from free clips and of those only one in 50 subscribed.

Some adult industry executives say a solution may lie in future distribution deals with big US companies such as AT&T, Verizon Communications, Comcast and Apple.

An Apple spokeswoman said the company would not comment if it had held past talks or was interested in distributing adult product.

A spokeswoman for Comcast, the largest US cable provider, said the firm offered adult content in its video-on-demand service but said she knew of no talks for mobile adult distribution.

Sales of s3x films to mobile devices occur in Europe but have yet to take off in the US.

"We won't make money through adult content," said Verizon Wireless spokesman Ken Muche.

AT&T did not comment.

Jay Grdina, president of ClubJenna Inc, a division of Playboy, said sharing previews was a mistake.

"We're getting bitten by our own sword," he said.

Grdina, former husband and on-scene partner of Jenna Jameson, one of the industry's most famous pr0n stars, said he has met companies such as Microsoft and Apple to seek wireless and other distribution deals that could allow easy downloads to devices such as iPods.

A spokesman for Microsoft said they were not in talks to distribute adult content.

"The revenues are massive," Grdina said.

"(But) the biggest fear is share price: what are the shareholders going to say?"


[pic - click to view]

 http://www.news.com.au/te .. 014108,00.html

119 comments for "May 26 - YouTube-style porn threatens studios"

 10 years ago '04        #2
Calamity 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,023 | Props total: 1848 1848
 GypsyArtist said:
YouTube-style pr0n threatens studios

By Adam Tanner in Las Vegas January 14, 2008 08:25am

AFTER years of booming sales supported by videotapes, DVDs and the internet, the adult film industry is being challenged by easy video-sharing websites offering explicit content for free.

"We're dealing with rampant piracy, tons of free content," said Steven Hirsch, co-founder of Vivid, the best-known adult film studio.

Vivid once earned 80 per cent of its roughly $100 million a year from DVD sales, but last year that fell to 30 per cent, Mr Hirsch said.

The challenge of the internet, a topic of discussion at the biggest adult film expo of the year in Las Vegas last week, has already presented itself to the music and mainstream film industries.

Much of the online competition for the US pr0n world, based largely in southern California, comes from websites like XTube.com which allow users to upload their own videos in a similar format to YouTube.

Some of the videos on XTube, based in Toronto, Canada, come from commercial studios while others are posted by amateurs.

"We're not pirates. We are providing a service that people think they can use to pirate," said Lance Cassidy, one of XTube's founders.

The website has 200,000 free videos, typically 30 seconds to two minutes long, and about 1 per cent of visitors buy DVDs or video streams, resulting in millions of dollars of annual revenue, sales director Curtis Potec said. About two thirds of XTube's viewers are gay, Mr Potec said.

"We've had tons and tons of people tell us this is the future of the adult industry," Mr Potec said.

"Most of the money is ads, on any site, mainstream or adult."

Scott Coffman, president of Adult Entertainment Broadcast Network (AEBN) in North Carolina, says his company started a YouTube-type site a year-and-a-half ago to generate revenue through advertising and drive traffic to pay-per-minute sites.

AEBN limits free clips to three minutes. Users make about a quarter of them.

"They don't convert that well when you give away so much. There is a fine line between giving away something small, a teaser... and giving away the whole thing," Mr Coffman said.

He said his company had revenue of about $100 million a year and was facing a lawsuit from Vivid accusing AEBN of piracy.

Mr Hirsch of Vivid said he would also sue other video-sharing sites.

"This industry is going to have to get together and look at these guys that are putting out the stuff for free... so they are going to have to get in line and start paying for it," Mr Hirsch said.

"If that doesn't happen and we see all of this free content out there, people are not going to be able to afford to produce movies anymore."

Videotapes, fewer prosecutions, DVDs and internet advertising has created an unprecedented boom the US adult film industry since the 1980s.

Many studios post short clips on internet video-sharing sites as advertising to sell more movies.

"This is something we constantly discuss in our office. Is it too much," said Garion Hall, chief executive of Abbywinters.com, an Australian-based company.

Hall said only one out of 500 viewers clicked over to his site from free clips and of those only one in 50 subscribed.

Some adult industry executives say a solution may lie in future distribution deals with big US companies such as AT&T, Verizon Communications, Comcast and Apple.

An Apple spokeswoman said the company would not comment if it had held past talks or was interested in distributing adult product.

A spokeswoman for Comcast, the largest US cable provider, said the firm offered adult content in its video-on-demand service but said she knew of no talks for mobile adult distribution.

Sales of s3x films to mobile devices occur in Europe but have yet to take off in the US.

"We won't make money through adult content," said Verizon Wireless spokesman Ken Muche.

AT&T did not comment.

Jay Grdina, president of ClubJenna Inc, a division of Playboy, said sharing previews was a mistake.

"We're getting bitten by our own sword," he said.

Grdina, former husband and on-scene partner of Jenna Jameson, one of the industry's most famous pr0n stars, said he has met companies such as Microsoft and Apple to seek wireless and other distribution deals that could allow easy downloads to devices such as iPods.

A spokesman for Microsoft said they were not in talks to distribute adult content.

"The revenues are massive," Grdina said.

"(But) the biggest fear is share price: what are the shareholders going to say?"

long as rude.com is up... i wont buy nah nudda pr0n movie
 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM         #3
YOUNGZERO  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i guess these foo's ain't heard of spankwire.com yet...... lol
 10 years ago '04        #4
SCENE 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,162 | Props total: 104 104
 YOUNGZERO said:
i guess these foo's ain't heard of spankwire.com yet...... lol
or stolegrownvidz.net
 05-26-2008, 03:19 AM         #5
U.G.K.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
redtube.com my n*ggas
 10 years ago '04        #6
mtbatol 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$4,700 | Props total: 1163 1163
 GypsyArtist said:

"We're dealing with rampant piracy, tons of free content," said Steven Hirsch, co-founder of Vivid, the best-known adult film studio.
Heh, always imagining pr0n actresses addressing this

[pr0n bi*ch] "Remember, everytime you download our scenes without paying for it, you're stealing from our hard work we put into each scene! We not doing them s3x scenes for free, so every time you download you're raping women like me! And it don't feel good! :( "
 05-26-2008, 03:38 AM         #7
durdysoufpleya  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 GypsyArtist said:
Vivid once earned 80 per cent of its roughly $100 million a year from DVD sales, but last year that fell to 30 per cent, Mr Hirsch said.

....

Some adult industry executives say a solution may lie in future distribution deals with big US companies such as AT&T, Verizon Communications, Comcast and Apple.

An Apple spokeswoman said the company would not comment if it had held past talks or was interested in distributing adult product.
]
that first bit makes no sense... is it saying that they still make 100 million a year? because if so, they aint hurting! that just means theyve diversified. of course dvd sales are going down. its pr0n, better to have just on the computer.

but yeah, thatll be the next big thing, pr0n through the iphone. hahaa.
 10 years ago '04        #8
jphidang 
space
space
space
$3,977 | Props total: 11 11
it aint just the hip hop industry doin poor numbers in sales...now the pr0n industry is noticing a decline...in the future it seems all media (music & movies) will decline in sales due to pirating...i wonder wat they will try to do to prevent this...wouldn't it be funny if the musicians and actors went on strike lol
 10 years ago '07        #9
ptwist 43 heat pts43
space
avatar space
space
$16,106 | Props total: 6316 6316
its all about that YOUpr0n.COM son
 10 years ago '04        #10
mims820 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,056 | Props total: 180 180
redtube.com
libraryofthumbs.com
xnxx.com
the list goes on and on.
 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM         #11
stepyourgameup  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sales are down? No way! I'm sure it has EVERYTHING to do with piracy and NOTHING to do with the economy. Sales are down for pretty much everything, whether you can download it or not.
 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM         #12
snoopaliciouS  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
private torrent sites for me
 10 years ago '07        #13
boar 
space
avatar space
space
$1,215 | Props total: 0 0
y aint no 1 sayin pr0nh ***thinks twice and walks out of the thread laughin and screamin on top of his lungs, ha dey aint takin down my favorite FREE pr0n site, fu*k na.... wen i wanna chill n spend som quality time with my self now i find out its been taken down, hell no
 10 years ago '04        #14
twizzytwo22 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$4,726 | Props total: 485 485
ive been on worlds3x since 1998 or some sh*tt lol
 10 years ago '05        #15
Sizzler01 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$5,066 | Props total: 1013 1013
 Calamity said:
long as rude.com is up... i wont buy nah nudda pr0n movie
you must have not heard Rude started charging a couple weeks ago on some $30 a month sh*t........
 10 years ago '04        #16
T_Buck 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 0 0
megarotic.com
pr0nhub.com

The two best, easily.
 10 years ago '04        #17
datniggabstyle 
space
avatar space
space
$329 | Props total: 12 12
youpr0n.com, that be the shiit.
 10 years ago '08        #18
MO CITY TX 
space
avatar space
space
$461 | Props total: 147 147
fantasti.cc
 10 years ago '04        #19
JJH35 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,840 | Props total: 891 891
piracy of their online content wouldn't be as easy if half the pr0n sites (including vivid) made any fu*kin attempt to protect their sites...most sites still use weak a.ss form or basic authentication

pay the money protect your sh*t
 10 years ago '05        #20
mattdogg444 
space
avatar space
space
$14,497 | Props total: 717 717
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 49
Video inside Who is she!!
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 30
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 28
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 16
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 15
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
79 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 14
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 13
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
204 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 13
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy