The Rajon Rondo Appreciation Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
80 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '08        #501
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,928 | Props total: 7321 7321
lol at rejoicin Rondo having 17 dimes and losing to the Nets. Its gotten that bad Junior G? How about that a.ss kicking Nova got??
 8 years ago '09        #502
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,535 | Props total: 3825 3825
 Junior G said:
another game....another 17 dimes
only an idiot lists stats in an L...
an L to the NETS no less

of course he left out devin harris had 23 points...
 8 years ago '05        #503
Junior G 114 heat pts114 OP
space
space
$54,053 | Props total: 6955 6955
Don't worry Junior, i'll hold the thread down for you.....

WALTHAM — Rajon Rondo set a goal of making the NBA’s All Defense First Team and he was rewarded by the league Wednesday. Rondo earned the second most votes, both first place and overall, behind Defensive Player of the Year Dwight Howard.

“It strokes my ego,” he joked after the team’s practice Wednesday. “It’s something I’ve worked for since I’ve come into the league. One of my goals this year was to make the first team.”

Rondo deflected credit to his teammates who posted the league’s fifth best defensive efficiency rating (a step down from previous seasons).

“Having four guys behind you makes you look a lot better,” Rondo said. “When I get beat on the dribble I got Perk and Kevin [Garnett] blocking those shots.”

Rondo led the league in steals with 189 [and set a new franchise record in the process], but those steals have sometimes been a point of contention to those who felt that he gambled too much. The Celtics feel that he has curbed those tendencies and has played more solid on the ball defense this season.

“He deserves it,” Doc Rivers said. “He works at it. It’s a great honor. When you’re on the first team in anything it’s a hell of an honor.”

Rondo’s defense was a key component in the Celtics first round series win over the Heat. When he was able to pressure full court, Miami had major trouble getting into its offense. The key word for him is disruptive because of his steals and also his deflections.

The Celtics have had to rely on him in their series with the Cavs even more. He has played 87 of the available 96 minutes in the first two games and the Celtics have been +19 when he’s in the game and -9 when he’s been out. Tony Allen has been the nominal point guard in Rondo’s absence, but the Celtics have had Ray Allen and Paul Pierce bring the ball up at times.

“I’m OK with Tony,” Rivers said. “I don’t know the answer with Rondo. I don’t like the minutes, but as you saw in the fourth quarter, we took him for two minutes and it changed quickly. Our plan was to take him out in the first half, but then Paul got in foul trouble. I told him at that point, I’m sorry.”
 8 years ago '08        #504
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,928 | Props total: 7321 7321
Wow Rondo is the GOAT man. Good look for holding my man Junior G down. Hed be proud.
 05-05-2010, 08:28 PM         #505
HenryTheMenace 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 agony8 said:
RONDO is the BASED GOD of the NBA!!!
Why you insulting Rondo like that fam?
No bueno
 8 years ago '06        #506
Jnunez21 
space
space
$1,005 | Props total: 8 8
not a fan of the celtics at all...but this boy can ball...he plays with a lot of heart n has improved each year...much needed appreciation
 8 years ago '08        #507
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
$21,343 | Props total: 97 97
junior gay ur not fooling anyone
 8 years ago '07        #508
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306

Rondo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 8 years ago '05        #509
space
space
From Cousy, high praise indeed
Celtics legend says Rondo's the first point guard (since himself) to get excited about
Email
Print
Comments
Retweet
By Peter May
Special to ESPNBoston.com
Archive

Yes, the Cooz is impressed. What else do you need to know?

Bob Cousy is, like most everyone else, enthralled by the play of Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo. Unlike most everyone else, Cousy's opinion matters. On the Mount Rushmore of NBA point guards, the Cooz has a place ad infinitum. Having him praise your work as a point guard is akin to Bill Gates praising your understanding of computer software.

"I've been watching the Celtics for the last 50 years,'' said Cousy, who retired in 1963 but made a brief, forgettable comeback as a player-coach with Omaha-Kansas City in 1969. "And Rondo is the first point guard since moi that I've been really excited about. Bird excited you, but he wasn't a point guard. JoJo [White] wasn't a point guard. He's the first since moi to get my attention."

There have been some pretty good point guards in the years since Cousy left and Rondo arrived. Two of them, Nate Archibald and Dennis Johnson, are Hall of Famers. But what Cousy sees in Rondo is a versatility that few have had at the position.

People talk about the Big Three. But this is the Big One. The sky is the limit as far as I can see.

-- Celtics legend Bob Cousy on Rajon Rondo

Rondo led the NBA in steals this season. No Celtic had ever done that. Right now, he leads the NBA in a.ssists during the playoffs, more than one a.ssist per game ahead of Deron Williams and more than two a game ahead of Steve Nash. Rondo recently was named to the NBA's all-defensive first team.

"What more can this kid do? He sees the floor extremely well,'' Cousy said. "He's even starting to put what my old coach, Doggie Julian, would call a little French pastry on a play, going behind the back. The kid is only 24. People talk about the Big Three. But this is the Big One. The sky is the limit as far as I can see."

Rondo supplanted Cousy as the Celtics' leader in a.ssists per season in 2009-10, racking up 794 over 81 games. Cousy had 715 in 75 games in the 1959-60 season. Rondo also has twice tied Cousy's Celtics record of a.ssists in a playoff game (19), once last year in a triple-overtime game against the Bulls and again this season in Monday night's Boston victory in Cleveland.

"It's nice to see him breaking a record of mine I wasn't really aware I even had,'' Cousy said with a laugh. 'It's well deserved on his part. But I think back in our day they'd pay some guy $15 a game to sit at a table and keep the stats. You never knew what was being done. No one really took individual stats seriously back then, except my roomie, [Bill] Sharman, who was fastidious about his free-throw shooting. And for good reason.

"But when someone called me to say that Rondo had broken the record, I said, 'OK, what was the record?' I think it was more amazing that the guy who had the record was able to talk about it 50 years after the fact!"

[+] Enlarge
Brian Babineau/Getty Images
Rajon Rondo led the NBA in steals this season -- a first for a Celtic. Right now, he leads the NBA in a.ssists in the playoffs.

Cousy is technically on the Celtics' masthead as a team marketing consultant, but he winters in Florida and is not around the team nearly as much as when he provided television analysis for years with the estimable Gil Santos handling the play-by-play. Cousy wonders if Rondo has gotten to the point that he can get into his teammates' faces. (Answer: Yes, indeed.)

"I used to get pretty verbal in huddles, and I'd let the troops know,'' Cousy said. "But I always include myself. That's the key. It's gotta be 'us' not 'you.' ''

He also hopes to live long enough to see the day (Cousy turns 82 in August) that Rondo becomes a more confident and proficient outside shooter. In that respect, Cousy sees a lot of himself in Rondo.

"You can get into ruts at the point guard position,'' he said. "I would talk to Arnold [Auerbach, never 'Red' with Cooz] about a lot. If I were trying to find a downside in Rondo's game, that might be it. But he has a fine stroke. He gets full extension. He follows through. Someone has to convince him he's not a bad shooter, and then he'll be even tougher to guard. And he's already tough as it is."

From afar, Cousy also thinks Rondo's free-throw shooting has improved dramatically. This has always been the perceived offensive flaw in Rondo's game, as evidenced by his career average of 63 percent, which is higher than his 2009-10 average of 62.1 percent. But in the playoffs, Rondo has gone Mark Price on us, converting 80.6 percent, including 12-of-14 in Game 1 against the Cavs.

Cousy was a lifetime 80 percent shooter from the free-throw line.

"Before, I thought his stroke looked good, so I figured it had to be a mental thing with him,'' Cousy said. "But he is shooting the free throws now. To use an analogy from golf, it's like staying with the putt and following through, rather than just hitting it.

"To me, the kid has every base covered in terms of responsibilities for a point guard," Cousy said. "He does all of those. He rebounds. He gets the steals. He's the real deal."

Then, after a dramatic pause, Cousy concluded, somewhat sadly, "He's going to be a big part of the rebuilding process, isn't he?"
 8 years ago '05        #510
space
space
By HOWARD BECK

Bill Walton left the airwaves two years ago because of debilitating back pain, taking his colorful opinions with him. He is healthy again now, thanks to a new surgical procedure, and still as opinionated as ever. After discussing his recovery, we asked him for some N.B.A. insights. Here is a sampling:

The Celtics will win the East: “I picked them at the start of the season to win the championship, based on their talent. A very disappointing regular season, with health and chemistry issues, the things that tear great teams apart historically. But they’ve been able to regroup, put their personality differences aside apparently.’’

“In Game 2, they left no doubt, they have what it takes to get it done: Best point guard in the Eastern Conference, best coach in the Eastern Conference, best homecourt advantage in the East Conference. Best depth. Tremendous size across the front line. Fantastic individual offense in Paul Pierce, a phenomenal big-game finisher in Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, a historical-level figure who’s playing as well as he can, based on his physical limitations. I see the Celtics winning the East.’’

Rajon Rondo is the best point guard in the East: “Rondo is the best of them all. He does everything. He rebounds, he defends, he scores, he passes, he leads. And he’s really good in the biggest of games.’’

“He’s a complete game-changer. In a way, he’s a lot like Dennis Johnson, a lot like Magic Johnson. When Dennis and Magic came along, nobody had ever really played like that before. Totally unique, totally different games.’’

shouts to Bill even though he's not the best pg in the East, he's the best in the WORLD
 8 years ago '08        #511
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
dont ever refer to him in that way again...junior is a legend...
he's as big of a legend as u are a GD
 8 years ago '08        #512
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
yea i know homie...cause u know me n my life...

like obie trice said..."b**ches they gone talk, nigkas they gone hate"...u fall under both categories in one...a b**ch nigka!!!

turn ur energy into something positive for ur life homie n get off my nuts...
someone tell this w1gger to stop trying too hard
nigka ?
if u a real GD and from the hood like u claim u would use n*gga u f**king herb
 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM         #513
@RG3 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rondo a.ss... call me when he hits at least 3 3pts in a game.
 8 years ago '08        #514
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
haha ur so funny...ur emoticons r k!lling em in this thread nigka...that how i spell it...n i been trying not to use it no more since im 29 and grown the f**k up n movin on n s**t n outta respect for someone on this board...so shut the f**k up u tryin to hard to clown people on the internet thug a.ss b**ch...like i said anyone on this board can question my knowledge, has anyone??? yup n have i been exposed, nope...so nice try a**hole...stick to non american football u clown a.ss f**got...
ull never be a gd
 8 years ago '07        #515
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
 Lowkey18 said:
Rondo a.ss... call me when he hits at least 3 3pts in a game.
so a player is only good if he knocks down at least 3's in a game?

Rondo had more a.ssists than the entire Cavs team in game 2

Rondo >>>>
 8 years ago '08        #516
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
n ur a despicable skindog defender...tryin to stick up for a married man having s3x with a teenager...u mean s**t to me now...ur opinion is s**t, ur life is s**t...74 612...all day everyday...in fact the next time i come to philly, we can meet up n throw the ones u lil b**ch...i got lil homies in royersford PA that will bang ur a.ss out...
im not from philly u fake gd......

and when did i stick up for taylor? im questioning the system not him

u f**king k!ll me stop replying to me
 8 years ago '08        #517
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
yeah blame the system cause a 51 year old man wants to f**k a teenager...a married man at that...ur a f**kin clown a.ss b**ch...

ur blatant ignorance n stupidity n internet tough guy act k!ll me bro...u need a hug...did mommy not give u enough attention growin up...daddy use u as his personal pudding slinger???
u shouldn't talk about other peoples mothers or father after u claimed u were on streets growing up f**got....

and who is blaming the system? im questioning it and there are laws that are unfair imo not blaming it. u seriously need to go back to school and learn how to read man....i read them essays u posted after u caught feelings and if i remember u didnt graduate
 8 years ago '05        #518
space
space
agony no reason to argue with em...everybody knows wepainters is a b**ch and worst poster on boxden. I already sonned him and his mapleleaf haircut countless times
 8 years ago '08        #519
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 agony8 said:
actually i graduated in 1998 thank u very much u lil b**ch...n ill talk about parents who raised lil f**gots...yea mine werent the greatest but i aint scared to talk bout them, to let people know my story...i aint come on here n try to invalidate people n stick up for dudes wanting to f**k little girls like u do...peace out b**ch...im done with u, u the only one who still trying to clwon me n ur upset that u cant...so keep catching feelings n trying to act like u know me...
i catch feelings and u type essays

the irony
 8 years ago '08        #520
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
space
 MARTIAN MAR said:
agony no reason to argue with em...everybody knows wepainters is a b**ch and worst poster on boxden. I already sonned him and his mapleleaf haircut countless times
just like that time u tried making a thread in slaughterhouse and deleted it after 10 mins?

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
152 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now