The *OFFICIAL* Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: Warning! Some People are posting SPOILERS

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
43 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
7 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
78 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
87 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which Console Are You Getting GTA IV For?
PS3 188 36.29%
Xbox 360 302 58.30%
Both (That's How I Roll) 28 5.41%
Voters: 518. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #1541
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,509 | Props total: 4992 4992
SLIGHTLY better and brighter graphics (as quoted by numerous sources) including the MINOR (again quoted from the same sources) hiccups in the 360 version does not make the PS3 version that much better to anyone worried about it...get it for whichever system YOU play more...I personally play more 360 then PS3 because I got more XBL friends then PSN...so 360 is my choice...

but if you worried about RROD or don't play your 360 much and you got a PS3 then cop it for that...either way you WILL NOT be disspaointed...
 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM         #1542
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Opm.....

cry me a river.mp3........
 04-26-2008, 02:02 PM         #1543
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Da Ill One said:
SLIGHTLY better and brighter graphics (as quoted by numerous sources) including the MINOR (again quoted from the same sources) hiccups in the 360 version does not make the PS3 version that much better to anyone worried about it...get it for whichever system YOU play more...I personally play more 360 then PS3 because I got more XBL friends then PSN...so 360 is my choice...

but if you worried about RROD or don't play your 360 much and you got a PS3 then cop it for that...either way you WILL NOT be disspaointed...
EXACTLY.......

then why some fu*ks are all salty about it?, thats what I don't get

did they expect it the other way around or something?

anyways ya regardless of whats fact, GTAIV is crack and is days away.....
 10 years ago '04        #1544
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,208 | Props total: 102 102
lol, everybody can see it now

GTA IV: Best Game Since ... Well, When?

If you hate 10-point rating systems, then pay no mind to the Nadia Comaneci 10 that IGN has handed Grand Theft Auto IV. The last game to get a perfect score from IGN was Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast, in 1999.

Yet curiously, by describing it also as "Without question, the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time," IGN sets up a strange paradox. Because it reviewed Ocarina of Time on Nov. 25, 1998. And then it reviewed Soul Calibur on Sept. 20, 1999. So ... the benchmark game for GTA's greatness goes back to 1998. But since then another game has earned a 10/10 score from IGN. So what gives?

On second thought, the hell with the 10/10 scale. Read our stuff instead. Our embargo on GTA IV will break Sunday at 10 am, and then all the nitty gritty your hot little hands can hold will be yours. We'll deliver you a flood of content, and then some.

Still, until then, you'll need some surrogate commentary, and IGN's as good a place as any to start.

"A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect — it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws."

Sounds like a winner — by any score — to me.

kotaku
 04-26-2008, 02:18 PM         #1545
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
every knew you herb, why this herb acting like he doesn't know me in the BXGS or knew of the fact I prefer PS3 & PC?, did you forget your days of riding Jann's coat tales when it came to the xbox 360 fanboyism or something?(but atleast he has and rep both consoles)......

Last edited by DA DOPEMAN; 04-26-2008 at 02:23 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #1546
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
Grand Theft Auto IV: GameSpy Editors' Most Wanted

The biggest gaming day in 2008 (and, perhaps, of all time) is nearly upon us, with Grand Theft Auto IV releasing in a matter of days. Everyone here at GameSpy is getting psyched to check the game out, particularly those of us that have yet to see the game in action. There's a lot to be excited about, as the game will feature a bunch of new mechanics (many of which we detailed in yesterday's "We Heart Liberty City" feature), as well as the same wide-open GTA formula that we all know and love. With that in mind, we decided to let our editors chime in on what they were most looking forward to in Grand Theft Auto IV! Also, don't forget to check out our review on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. PST!

Fargo: Way back in "the day" we had a group of guys in the engineering department at GameSpy who were totally obsessed with GTA2 multiplayer. Yeah, you heard me: GTA2, back when it was a top-down game and the PC was the platform of choice. It was anything goes, no-holds-barred vehicular homicide, but I just never got into it with the top-down perspective. Guess what? It's ten years later and we're finally getting some Grand Theft Auto multiplayer again, and this time... oh yes.

Unlike a couple of our other editors here, I haven't had a chance to try out the multiplayer yet [throws jealous glances at Sterling and Will]. If you read our multiplayer hands-on preview, you know that Sterling is jazzed up about the GTA Race mode -- a kind of no-holds-barred racing game where every weapon and tactic is on the table. But myself, I can't wait to try my hand at the more team-oriented or co-op game modes. Cops and Crooks sounds like a hoot, but the pure co-op missions in the Hangman's NOOSE mode sound right up my alley. I mean, one person alone can cause so much havoc in Liberty City; imagine how much damage I and my fellow GameSpy peeps can cause as a team?

Bryn:
Just like Fargo, I'm most excited to see what's up with the multiplayer modes in GTA4. I've always admired the series from afar rather than being one of its millions of devotees, but my hunger for online multiplayer carnage looks like it'll be satiated when Niko hits the streets. As for the bulk of the single-player game, I'm reserving judgment. I really enjoyed GTA3, but the subsequent releases never really managed to engross me as they did others.

Still, the fact that GTA4 looks truly next-gen this time around has more than piqued my interest levels. I think another factor that appeals is that GTA4 seems like it'll be a shorter game to finish; San Andreas dragged on far too long for my miniscule attention span. If I can beat the game in around 30-35 hours, then I'll be a happy camper.

Gabe: While my compatriots are all pumped up on that multiplayer juice, I'm looking forward to digging in and exploring the majestic hugeness of Liberty City itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as the next guy to take my thuggish skills online, but I'm really titillated by the idea of a next-gen-sized open world created by the guys that know how to do it up right. And don't forget, this is GTA we're talking about, so running at a close second to exploring the world is blowing everything in it up.

I'm also pretty keen on listening to the new radio offerings. Some of my favorite GTA experiences have included random radio commentary as a sort of punctuation to the demolition. Somehow the juxtaposition of unbelievably ruthless criminal activity combined with a soundtrack featuring a radio commercial for a fictional game about a rampaging lab monkey made for some seriously memorable moments. I expect GTA4 to deliver a similarly awesome experience.

Sterling: GTA has always been one of my favorite series, going back, like Fargo, to GTA2 on PC. I remember spending a lot of fall 1999 switching off between GTA2 and Unreal Tournament on my first PC rig. Like many, I caught the bug hard when the series transitioned from bird's eye view to 3D and from a niche title to a cornerstone of mainstream gaming. My feelings on the game have ranged from apathy ("I'll get excited when I finally see it") to excitement ("hands-on was awesome!") to enthusiasm ("GTA Race is your father"). I'm just glad April 29th is right around the corner.

I've put in my fair share of time on multiplayer in the last few weeks, and although Fargo has mentioned his excitement at teamwork, I say "f' 'em all, let God sort 'em out." GTA Race is going to ruin my life and your lives for at least a few evenings after you've wrapped up the single-player storyline. Out of the available modes at my demo at Rockstar, it was this one that proved most compelling. Sure, team deathmatch is fun, and the co-op missions are pretty cool, but there's something about creating a four-bus roadblock in the middle of Star Junction (Liberty City's Times Square), climbing atop one, and picking off every single person who tries to get near. I'll definitely be taking a break from single-player next week to hop on Live before the hordes start getting too good.

Miguel: When called upon to hype myself up for GTA4, I find myself dwelling most on the following question: how can a next-generation Grand Theft Auto most meaningfully iterate on the sandbox scheme that Rockstar introduced to the masses? The obvious answer, of course, is to make everything bigger, better, and more badass (sorry, Epic Games). What I would categorize as "most meaningful," though, is to make the world richer with interaction. The old games, despite the character and personality that was painstakingly built into their worlds, basically turned into anarchic combinations of obstacle courses and shooting galleries once players veered off the critical path. Not that there's anything wrong with that; in fact, it's a testament to how well GTA's designers grasp the notion of "play" that we repeatedly find ourselves so eager to forsake the directed content and get our clothes dirty with the toys strewn around their sandbox.

I have higher hopes for GTA4, though. If I had to get specific, I guess I would want a world that's more "intelligent." I want NPCs that react dynamically (not to mentioning convincingly) when I bump into them, and generally, more persistent consequence in regards to how the world perceives Niko depending on my actions in the game. I've purposefully tried to keep myself out of the loop so as to be able to come into the experience as a blank slate some Tuesday, but there's only so much I can squelch given how liberally the love is flowing for this here at GameSpy courtesy of the suckers who've already played it. But I've got a good feeling about how it will all come together, in spite of the tall order I've placed.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

Delsyn: For myself, my console colleagues will no doubt scream as I break out the dreaded MMO word to describe why I like the GTA games: they are, in many ways, what an MMO tries to be. It's a vast, open world with a definite linear path to follow to the end of a storyline. The real fun of GTA, though, has always been going off the beaten track and seeing what kinds of goodies the developers have left for us to discover, or trying to figure out ways to "break the world" in ways the developers hadn't anticipated. I remember how much fun it was to leap the Vice City Canal and see how many pedestrians I could land on on the other side. There were so many different ways to have fun in Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City that it's possible to play for a year and still find ways to amuse yourself.

As for the prospect of doing so in multiplayer, how can this not sound like fun? No lines, no queues, no monthly fees, just a vast open world for you and your buddies to team up and cause as much mayhem as you want. Sure there are multiplayer "modes" included by RockStar that we've previously mentioned, but I'd lay dollars to doughnuts that once the GTA community gets a hold of it, someone will come up with some sort of multiplayer challenge within the game that nobody's ever thought of and it'll rapidly become a meme within the community.

Will: Given that I've already finished playing the game (check out my review on Sunday morning at 9 a.m. PST!), the thing I'm most looking forward to is... playing it again! In all seriousness, while the multiplayer certainly had me intrigued, I've always been about the franchise's single-player storyline. I was a huge fan of the story in San Andreas, but GTA4 promises something new and different. I'm intrigued by the thought of the protagonist being an immigrant who's experiencing American culture for the first time, rather than just another Tony Montana/Soprano wannabe making his way up the criminal ladder.

Outside of that, I'm always excited to listen to the hilarious dialogue in the game, be it in a commercial or on talk radio or simply on the street. The writers at Rockstar have a great ear for that sort of stuff. Honestly, I could go on and on about what I'm most looking forward to, but I've got to go write my review!

Last edited by Kap(Da)King; 04-26-2008 at 02:23 PM..
 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM         #1547
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
New captured GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE(no spoilers), good quality

10 years ago '04        #1548
deziking 81 heat pts81
space
space
$19,568 | Props total: 5241 5241

[pic - click to view]

this thread def gone down since these f*ggets starting yapping their v*ginas about whats good and what not.
 04-26-2008, 02:29 PM         #1549
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 10 years ago '06        #1550
TreZ 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$9,208 | Props total: 2058 2058
does anyone know how to use iprep? im fu*king confusing
 10 years ago '06        #1551
Honolulu Blue 32 heat pts32
space
space
$17,453 | Props total: 1099 1099
anyone who actually listens to joekilla aka dadopeman is an idiot.. the dude is clearly not all there and has been a sony fanboy since this section was created.

nitpicking and looking for minor technicalities to prove one console will play the game better than the other is stupid... really, really stupid.. and look who's at the forefront.. a shock indeed
 10 years ago '04        #1552
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
the media is picking up crazy, nothing we havnt already read but ABC news reports:

Fans Gear Up for 'Grand Theft Auto IV'

At midnight Tuesday, thousands of gamers will pack into consumer electronics stores across the country to snag their copy of the most anticipated -- and potentially most controversial -- video game of the year: "Grand Theft Auto IV."

The long-awaited latest installment of the often lambasted series has a plotline similar to past games: Players are submerged in an urban criminal underworld, where they must shoot, rob and k!ll their way through the fictional Liberty City, a near-exact replica of New York City.

The insanely popular video game franchise has become more popular with each new edition of the series. According to NPD Group, the original, which came out in 1997, and newer versions of the game, sold 1 million and 1.2 million copies, respectively. "GTA 3" went on to sell 6.2 million units, "GTA: Vice City" sold 7.2 million and "GTA: San Andreas" sold 9.2 million. Compilation packs alone racked up another 7 million in sales.

"Grand Theft Auto IV" is expected to be no different. Take-Two Interactive, the game's publisher, has reportedly said it projects that the game will hit $400 million in sales within the first week.

"I would expect it to be one of the top-selling games of the year, if not the top-selling game," NPD analyst Anita Frazier wrote in an e-mail. "It's interesting that while previous GTA games have been platform exclusive at launch, this is the first time that it will be available on [PS3 and Xbox] simultaneously, making it available to a potentially bigger audience."

Groudbreaking Technology

Brian Crecente, managing editor of video game blog Kotaku, attributes "GTA's" place in pop culture to one thing: the franchise's innovation.

"GTA the franchise was the first mainstream game to popularize 'sandbox gaming.' It's a type of game where you don't have to follow the linear path created by developers. ... With sandbox games, you have that world that's created, and you can do what you want in that world," Crecente said. "The production value is through the roof. They really spend their time crafting these games, and it shows."

Crecente, who also reviews video games for a newspaper, spent five days last week locked in a hotel room with the newest version of the game.

"I ended up playing a little under 40 hours," he said. "I'm a gamer, and I write about games, but that's not something I normally do. ... "I think that everyone's expectations will be met with the game."

Crecente said that what makes the new "Grand Theft Auto" a standout is its ability to allow players to play online with their friends.

According to Crecente's blog, Microsoft is already reinforcing its server capacity to prepare for potential online game play on its Xbox 360.

Retailers Prep for Launch

Microsoft isn't the only one preparing for the big launch. Best Buy and Game Spot are holding midnight openings across the country. Circuit City is offering $10 gift cards to customers who preorder.

Justin McElroy, a West Virginia-based editor at the video game blog Joystiq, was on his way to preorder the game earlier this week.

"I'm excited to play it. ... I think I'm probably like a lot of people. Fifty percent want to play the game, and 50 percent" want to interact with other gamers, McElroy said. "Buying a game at the same time as everybody else is the closest we get to a mass social experience sometimes."

McElroy, who has played every incarnation of the game except for "GTA IV," said he loves the innovations the franchise has developed over the years.

"In most games, there's a fairly linear structure. You're going from task to task. [In "GTA"], there's always tons of things to do," he said. "They put a lot of time and a lot of care and a lot of craftsmanship into the game. The whole experience is fun even if the game was designed for you to play straight through it."

Choose Your Own Soundtrack

Another innovation is a revamp of the title's in-game radio. In "Grand Theft Auto IV," players will be able to buy the songs on their in-game radio from Amazon.com, allowing them to pick what type of music they listen to as they drive.

Ben Kuchera, gaming editor of tech blog Ars Technica, believes this and other music games like "Rock Band" could signal a new method for digital music distribution.

"I know 13-year-olds now listening to Deep Purple because of 'Rock Band.' I think this is a powerful tool to boost catalog music back into people's consciousness," Kuchera said. "It's a really interesting approach."

But the franchise's innovation isn't always received positively. "Grand Theft Auto" has drawn ire from critics for years, not only for its violent and s3xual content (in one version, players get points for having s3x with prostitutes) but also for hidden, hackable content that some critics say would have increased its rating from M (Mature) to AO (Adults Only).

In "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," for instance, developers embedded a minigame called "Hot Coffee" in which the player could invite his girlfriend in for "coffee" and have s3x with her.

Some Critics Concerned

In advance of its debut, "Grand Theft Auto IV" has already inspired controversy. Last week, the Chicago Transit Authority removed "GTA IV" ads from its buses. Similarly, several politicians, including New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and parent groups have already voiced concern.

To this, Kuchera cries prejudice.

"I could point you to five games that are on the market that have worse content than 'Grand Theft Auto,' but for some reason those don't get the press," he said. "This game is such a lightning rod. There's so much harsher things out there that it's easier for kids to get their hands on."

Crecente agrees.

"It is a violent game, but it isn't any more violent than [the movie] 'Scarface,'" he said. "[Gaming] is going through the same trial by fire that comics and music and movies had to go through, as it makes its way to mainstream entertainment from a niche."
 04-26-2008, 02:48 PM         #1553
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its ok to be an Xbox fanboy though right comic book guy?, right:rolleyes:........

Last edited by DA DOPEMAN; 04-26-2008 at 02:50 PM..
 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM         #1554
HeavenlySword 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
so im guessing i just drop this youtube of IGNs GTA4 review here....this is probably OLD.

10 years ago '06        #1555
space
space
 DA DOPEMAN said:
Its ok to be an Xbox fanboy though right comic book guy?, right:rolleyes:........
try making a post without editing it. skitzo.

notice that we're in the main, NEUTRAL gaming forum, not the ps3 sub-section. take all that cheerleading to the proper section.
 04-26-2008, 02:58 PM         #1556
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ok then contribute something, last I checked you posted nothing about GTAIV.......
 10 years ago '04        #1557
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
.......lol, plain to see

i might have my copy tommoro night. cousin says hes gettin his, so ima try and bandwagon and go with him
 04-26-2008, 03:02 PM         #1558
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ya G4 watching peoples, keep your eyes on it for GTAIV gameplay tomorrow.....

G4 is airing gameplay footage of GTAIV this Sunday at 12PM ET/9AM PT while also having an X-Play special about GTAIV this coming Monday. If you have the channel, feel free to check it out (and upload it on YouTube afterwards for us poor saps who don't have G4...)

10 years ago '06        #1559
space
space
you're right, i should probably triple post the ps3 has a slight edge in graphics story from ign.com.
 04-26-2008, 03:04 PM         #1560
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nah post something, coming here to suck on my d*ck like a homo is not contributing to a GTAIV thread........
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
136 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
166 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
150 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
128 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
111 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
165 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy