The *OFFICIAL* Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: Warning! Some People are posting SPOILERS

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
109 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
51 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
82 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which Console Are You Getting GTA IV For?
PS3 188 36.29%
Xbox 360 302 58.30%
Both (That's How I Roll) 28 5.41%
Voters: 518. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #1041
htownplaya 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,566 | Props total: 0 0
Best Buy Announces GTA IV Midnight Launch Locations

10 years ago '05        #1042
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,064 | Props total: 10744 10744
With 's release on the horizon, Rockstar North's technical directors Adam Fowler and Sandy Roger quizzed themselves to provide some insight on the physics and tech -- a FAQ on the subject, if you will -- behind the anticipated game. We also have brand new to tide you over until next week, and don't forget to check back tomorrow for more information from Rockstar North.

Grand Theft Auto IV is the first time North has used the RAGE engine, can you tell us a little about RAGE?

Adam Fowler: The RAGE engine consists of a collection of core game technologies. Its basis is the AGE engine that was developed for previous Rockstar San Diego titles. It contains a rendering framework, a physics engine, audio engine, network libraries, animation engine, scripting language plus loads more. It is mainly developed at Rockstar San Diego apart from the audio engine and a lot of the network code which were developed here at North.

What benefits does its use confer on the development of an open-world game?

AF: The main benefits are from the system level code. As we are continually loading and deleting objects as you drive through the world. The memory manager needs to be robust and deal with continual allocation and freeing of objects without fragmenting memory too much. We have worked very closely with RAGE to get this right. Outside that the flexibility of each system has allowed us to push and pull them in all sorts of directions.

[pic - click to view]

Are there any advantages to the fact that Rockstar have developed and own the engine?

AF: The main advantage is we have control over the direction the engine takes. If we need something for our game we have a direct connection with the guys who would be developing it. We get early access to systems which might not be completely finished but are ready for development use. Bugs get fixed in days, not weeks or months. This has been especially important as we reached the end of the project. We talk to the RAGE guys every day. We know what is happening with RAGE on a day to day basis.

Sandy Roger: Definitely, working with guys in house gave us much more input into the development of the RAGE engine, and gave us direct access to the guys who made it which has helped enormously.

The game feels very different to previous GTAs, both in terms of on-foot handling and vehicle handling - the experience feels somehow heavier. How have you achieved this?

SR: We've tried to make everything feel more realistic, from the weight of the cars and the traction curve of the tyres, to the way that the player leans when running to get round corners.

How do you make sure the game comes together as a whole with the physics reflecting the new tone of the game?

SR: It's quite an iterative process. We try to come up with toys for the level guys to use in their missions, and the level guys come up with mission ideas that require physics, and then we meet somewhere in the middle.

There are a number of different weather conditions in the game, including heavy storms. What sort of effect does the changing weather have on the physics in the game?

SR: The main effect of the weather is in modifying the traction curve for the tires on the road, the result of which is different depending on what surface each wheel is driving on.

The water in GTA IV looks amazing, but how do you cope with reflecting the changeable nature of the sea in the handling of the boats?

SR: The boat handling is developed from multiple water buoyancy samples, each of which are designed to simulate all the distinct effects of bodies moving through the water that we need for realistic boats, like drag and lift that give the boat directional stability and make it aquaplane (lift out of the water at speed). All these parameters are then tuned to make each boat handle as you would expect, which also produces interesting handling characteristics in different sea conditions.

The explosions feel so realistic in GTA IV, how hard is it to create them? How do you map the trajectory of burning debris?

SR: We spent a lot of time tuning the way the forces are applied from the explosions to make the ragdolls fly through the air, props break apart, etc just right. A big part of it also comes from the particle effects. Our effects guy did a brilliant job with the explosions!

When every bullet leaves a mark in the environment, how do you cope with the sheer number of bullets that must fly around the environment in some of the larger gunf!ghts?

SR: The biggest cost of each bullet fired is actually the line of sight test that we have to do to see what it hit, so the RAGE guys spent a lot of time optimising that code to make it as efficient as possible.

There is incredible detail in the physics, I even noticed that shooting a barrel can cause a jet of liquid to spurt out and gradually decrease in range as the pressure reduces or that knocking into a pedestrian can cause them to drop their shopping so that cans roll down the sidewalk. Do these fine detail physics get the same level of attention as the key gameplay mechanics such as driving and running?

SR: Well key things that we need to get right for the game to be fun, like the car handling, get the most attention of course! But aside from those special systems, most of the other cool details come from just getting the basic systems working well. So we spent a lot of time making sure that the building blocks were there for the props guys and the effects guys to make lots of interesting and cool objects to put in the world.
 10 years ago '05        #1043
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,064 | Props total: 10744 10744
 TaNk85 said:
ok do u happen to know how big the install is?
don't know the size... but the mandatory install takes about 5 minutes
 10 years ago '06        #1044
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
INSIDE MY LOVE BY MINNIE RIPPERTON! =-O! NO HOMO but i love that song
 10 years ago '04        #1045
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 693 693
^^^ Cosign... and also cosign the no homo
 10 years ago '07        #1047
htownplaya 1 heat pts
space
space
 jayvivz said:
INSIDE MY LOVE BY MINNIE RIPPERTON! =-O! NO HOMO but i love that song
that dont deserve a no homo......i like that song. (period)

EDIT : No homo

Last edited by htownplaya; 04-23-2008 at 02:46 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #1048
DIGI 116 heat pts116
space
space
$9,243 | Props total: 693 693
^^^ Lmao
 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM         #1049
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Grand Theft Auto - Scotland's Greatest Export :p
 10 years ago '06        #1050
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
^i feel you. this is painful at this point. longest 6 days of my life...i've never been so anxious for a game like this. i'm fiending hard. :(
 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM         #1051
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I feel like i'm 8 years old and i'm finding my christmas presents everytime i watch a gameplay trailer, i get all excited like "YOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ONLY SIX DAYS" i got an exam tomorrow and then THAT'S IT, I'm going back up to Niagara this Friday, getting settled back in, and before I know it, it will be 12:01am on April 29th and EB Games will be the city's hot spot

only 127 hours to go !

Last edited by BlockBurner226; 04-23-2008 at 03:05 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #1052
Mr_GooD_NeWs 26 heat pts26
space
space
$9,873 | Props total: 286 286
^^^i got 3 exams left:thumbsdow 1 thur,1 fri, & 1 mon. night....then its BestBuy Tues.mornin & roadtrip home to get ready for a longggg crunk remainder of the week

this really is almost k!llin me,i been w GTA since elementary school i believe,remember findin that UG video game store & seein GTA (must be 18 to rent) & thats all she wrote:D

*even copped GTA on the gameboy color
 10 years ago '04        #1053
~BLUEPRINT~ 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,619 | Props total: 54 54
someone really has a copy of the game in Illinois....

im hatin....
 10 years ago '04        #1054
~BLUEPRINT~ 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,619 | Props total: 54 54
If so from where and when?

I am looking to get mine on Friday from the local mom n pop shop in MD who gets EVERYTHING early.....
 10 years ago '07        #1055
htownplaya 1 heat pts
space
space
I got mine today from......KB toys :D
 10 years ago '05        #1056
TaNk85 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,518 | Props total: 1 1
im sure walmart will have it for sale @ midnight.... hopefully
 10 years ago '06        #1057
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$28,972 | Props total: 10623 10623
 ~BLUEPRINT~ said:
someone really has a copy of the game in Illinois....

im hatin....
well th good news is if he has it somebody else should which means an american rip on the way
 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM         #1058
Bigwun07 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
love the game
 10 years ago '04        #1059
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
Friday from a friend who works at a flea market with a guy who gets games early.
 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM         #1060
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"i know a guy who knows a guy"

no not really...

i'm gonna have to wait it out like everyone else
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
81 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
130 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
26 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
297 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
178 comments
1 day ago