The *OFFICIAL* Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: Warning! Some People are posting SPOILERS

most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
27 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
132 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
179 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
42 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which Console Are You Getting GTA IV For?
PS3 188 36.29%
Xbox 360 302 58.30%
Both (That's How I Roll) 28 5.41%
Voters: 518. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #241
natural 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,954 | Props total: 3 3
 Cyncere_Wun said:
i am starting to wonder, and maybe yall can put my fears at ease.....but this game is about to come out with two or three weeks......and i havent seen one gameplay video yet.....and i would a.ssume it would be mandatory for the developers of the game to put online clips of the gameplay or something.....has there ever been a game thats been released without there been any gameplay footage online.....someone skool me
no reason to wonder. GTA IV won't be dope, it will be wet crack. You (and every body who buys this game on the 29) will probably play this sh*t everyday for 1-2 hours for two weeks straight.
 10 years ago '05        #242
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
ive completed the main story on all gta games from 3 up to vice city stories (i just cant be bothered to do that boomshine blowout mission )
 10 years ago '04        #243
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,208 | Props total: 102 102

[pic - click to view]

If you think you're getting hyped for Grand Theft Auto IV, put yourself in my shoes. Last week, I had a chance to kick back and spend some time with Rockstar Games' upcoming title, seeing some of the game's new features first-hand. I've had a taste of the future of GTA. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me take it home, despite

So I'm doing the next best thing, which is going back and playing some of the older games. This might be all fine and dandy for those who haven't played GTA IV yet. You can convince yourselves that the experience is similar enough that it can hold you over until April 29, when the latest installment of the series lands on shelves. But don't be fooled -- the experience of GTA IV is truly leaps and bounds above that of the previous games. You know what they say, "Once you play GTA IV, you may not be able to play the other games anymore."

OK, so no one says that (and I'm sorry I just made you cringe). But it may just be true. Today I'll take a look at the new ways that police and wanted levels work in GTA IV.

[pic - click to view]

If you’re like most people who’ve played any GTA game, you’re more than likely to have been mixed up in an in-game car chase with law enforcement. Maybe you’ve botched a mission and caught the attention of the authorities, and your two-star wanted level has them sending an aggressive pack of squad cars after you. Or (and this is more likely), maybe you were feeling particularly twisted, and you decided to go on a virtual k!lling spree, taking out pedestrians and police with no regard for their digital lives. Now, with a six star wanted level you’ve got choppers, armored cars, and the proverbial kitchen sink trying to take you down.

In previous games, you’ve had a few options. The first would be to high-tail it out of the area, laying low where police can’t see you, and minding your Ps and Qs; eventually the authorities will give up their search. Another alternative would be to find “bribes,” floating star icons hidden throughout the city, or even have your vehicle repainted at a “Pay N’ Spray” -- both options will immediately absolve you of your sins. Your final option? You try to keep up a suicidal rampage until it takes you to your death.

Those are all great options (except for that death thing, which is kind of a bi*ch), but things work a little differently in GTA IV’s Liberty City. To start, while you haven’t (and likely won’t see) a HUD in any of the screenshots or video of the game that Rockstar has provided, it’s there. It should be noted that the HUD in GTA IV is much more minimal that in the previous games; gone are the larger, cartoon-like icons that littered the screen in GTAs. The wanted levels are back, and appear (along with your current cash holdings and selected weapon) in the upper right-hand corner of screen as a sleek. This portion of the HUD is small and understated, appearing only as white with a black outline.

[pic - click to view]

The lower left hand corner is home to the map and radar system, which plays a significant role in how police chases go down in GTA IV. For starters, any crime you commit will cause you to receive a wanted level. Because this new version of Liberty City feels and acts as a living, breathing world, pedestrians who see you commit a felony will alert the authorities. Gone are the days when you can pull open any parked car door and drive off into the sunset -- that’s not going to cut it in GTA IV. That said, this doesn’t apply to traffic laws; feel free to break them as you see fit, but don’t be surprised to see a cop flash his or her lights at you if they see you doing so, if only to remind you that you’re there.

But if breaking traffic laws doesn’t scratch that criminal itch -- you want to steal cars, k!ll pedestrians, or just be a general nuisance -- you’ll need to become familiar with just how to flee from the law. When police are in search of you in GTA IV, you’ll see a red, flashing circle appear on the map; the nastier your crimes, the more stars you’ll receive, and the bigger the radius of the circle will get. The objective here to escape the radius, at which point there will be a cool down period, and you’ll have to lay low while your wanted level flashes and will eventually disappear. Catching the attention of the authorities, or even committing another crime, will cause the radius to re-center and this chase will start all over again.

Truthfully, this feels like a new game in itself, and unquestionably gives you a better sense of objective during these cat and mouse moments that have become a signature of the series. Having recently spent time with the previous games, escaping the police sometimes felt like a chore, particularly because you’re given no clear destination or goal which would lead to a “win.” While chases with a larger radius could have you aimlessly tearing a.ss all over the city to escape a radius, it looks like this new system will give these sequences a much tighter feel.

[pic - click to view]

But that doesn’t mean that the chases are going to be any less intense. The police that populate Liberty City are more aggressive and intelligent as ever, and we got ourselves into more a few precarious situations during our hands-on session. As police chased our car through the streets of Algonquin (Liberty City’s version of Manhattan), we were able to tap a single button let us smash out a window with an elbow, allowing us to hang from the car and aim a firearm at our pursuers. But we had to be careful, because depending on where we were aiming, the camera would shift in such a way that made it difficult to see where we were driving.

Not surprisingly, we crashed our vehicle, which we immediately abandoned, and attempted to surrender to the police. By pressing the “B” button, our character Niko Bellic put his hands up in a show of defeat. As the police approached to put on the cuffs, we pulled out a gun and started to begin the chase again, giving us an upper hand and a better likelihood at an escape.

You didn’t think we were going to give up that easily, did you?

destructoid
 10 years ago '07        #244
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
damn I cant wait
 10 years ago '04        #245
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
has gta started tv ad's in your neck of the woods yet?

the only commercial for gta that i see is the gamestop one which features that guy talkin bout liberty city
 10 years ago '04        #246
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
$3,510 | Props total: 30 30
yeah ive seen a couple on tv over here
 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM         #247
BMS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wtf where i aint seen no ads

prolly cuz i dnt watch em do my fakin ed in.... jus turn over channel :)
 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM         #248
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kap(Da)King said:
has gta started tv ad's in your neck of the woods yet?

the only commercial for gta that i see is the gamestop one which features that guy talkin bout liberty city
I seen that one around here in BK, but also seen another one which is basically that funny LPD advertisement you see in the official GTA4 site. It ends showing both PS3/360 logo, under the "GTA IV" name, so no sign of T2 showing love towards one of the consoles.

Last edited by DA DOPEMAN; 04-09-2008 at 04:40 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #249
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
 BMS said:
wtf where i aint seen no ads

prolly cuz i dnt watch em do my fakin ed in.... jus turn over channel :)
i think it was on sky
 10 years ago '04        #250
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
 DA DOPEMAN said:
I seen that one around here in BK, but also seen another one which is basically that funny LPD advertisement you see in the official GTA4 site. It ends showing both PS3/360 logo, under the "GTA IV" name, so no sign of T2 showing love towards one of the consoles.
we in the same area what channel u be seeing that other one on?
 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM         #251
BMS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I aint missin my 360 as much as i thought its been nearly a week now :wow:... new 1 from game should be coming and gettin sent away for flash same day hopefully in time for this to be leaked otherwise ill be pissed

+HydrO+ said:
i think it was on sky
i got sky in my room lol dont even watch it waste of money really
 10 years ago '05        #252
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
 +HydrO+ said:
yeah ive seen a couple on tv over here
i havent seen a single one yet...what did they market it as a PS3 or 360 game?
 10 years ago '04        #253
Dot.Com 5 heat pts
space
space
$704 | Props total: 563 563
Pre-Ordered mine tonight. They where telling me (Gamestop) that they where gonna start selling them at 12 midnight. Also informing me that theres gonna be like party with air brushing shirts and dancers.... This is in Queens Center Mall by the way..
 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM         #254
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I haven't even pre ordered mine yet :sick:...........

I think I will get it day one regardless though........
 10 years ago '05        #255
bgj887 
space
space
$1,517 | Props total: 30 30
i just saw the gamestop commercial during south park, it was edited like crazy but it was still good to see it on tv
 10 years ago '05        #256
truflipsoulja 
space
space
$396 | Props total: 0 0
I finna be getting the special edition...just wondering if the duffel bag got the long handle so u can hang it on your shoulders instead of using the short handles in the middle that they be showing in the pic????...would be good use for school/gym since I need a bigger bag
 10 years ago '04        #257
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
it's got the long handle

look at the back corners of the bag

Last edited by +HydrO+; 04-10-2008 at 02:06 AM..
 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM         #258
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Kap(Da)King said:
we in the same area what channel u be seeing that other one on?
Adult Swim & Spike TV
 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM         #259
DA DOPEMAN 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
P delivers an Exclusive H.N.I.C. 2 track( he took it off the Album) to be featured in GTAIV!

"DIRTY NEW YORKER" feat Havoc

Last edited by DA DOPEMAN; 04-10-2008 at 09:43 AM..
 10 years ago '04        #260
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
haha they got prodigy on this sh*t.
Home      

most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
87 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
LIL FLIP shows $1,000,000 worth of JEWELRY!!!!!!
91 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
70 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
56 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy