The *OFFICIAL* Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: Warning! Some People are posting SPOILERS

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
14 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
209 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent Says Jay Z Will Fail In Boxing Promotion....and he was right
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which Console Are You Getting GTA IV For?
PS3 188 36.29%
Xbox 360 302 58.30%
Both (That's How I Roll) 28 5.41%
Voters: 518. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #2021
GetOnMahLevel 
space
space
$5,488 | Props total: 104 104
i get off work in like 45 minutes...gonna hit the gym...ride to Orlando...watch the Magic finish out the series...leave...go cop the game...debate on whether i want to stay at my boy's house and play GTA for awhile...or come back home later on tonite and play on my own sh*t...decisions decisions....
 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM         #2022
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Young Bastard said:
i challange yall n*ggaz to complete gta 3/vice and san andreas before gta4 release
already did
 10 years ago '04        #2023
DPGUNIT 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,247 | Props total: 4 4
and i know a shorty at the gamestop thats gon get me @ the front of the line!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
 10 years ago '06        #2024
AJ19872006 7 heat pts
space
space
$2,974 | Props total: 38 38
 BlockBurner226 said:
already did
 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM         #2025
Cyncere_Wun 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i just called the local gamestop by me....Pembroke Pines, Fl and asked if they'll have a seperate line for those that paid down for gtaIV already and they said they'll only have one line and that i should swing by @ 6PM and pick a number because they are gonna calling numbers by 11....i was like "what the hell"....i aint really tryna be out there too late.....i know dudes would be willing to do a jack move or something.....
 10 years ago '04        #2026
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,407 | Props total: 3454 3454
LOS ANGELES (AP) — There's no Burger King tie-in or special flavor of Mountain Dew. No commercial directed by Peter Jackson, or even an action figure.

The run-up to "Grand Theft Auto IV" has been considerably less ballyhooed than last year's over-the-top "Halo 3" debut. Yet when "GTA IV" parks on store shelves on April 29, the latest entry in the controversial video game franchise could be the most lucrative launch in entertainment history — and one that many people may not even know about.

Analysts predict Take-Two Interactive Software and Rockstar Games' open-world, action-driving game will easily top last year's record-breaking $300 million first-week sales of Microsoft and Bungee Studios' first-person shooter "Halo 3" — and without a similar marketing bonanza.

With the launch of "GTA IV" on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Rockstar is seemingly steering in one direction: the downlow.

"Rockstar wants to control the message all the time," says Sam Kennedy, editorial director for the gaming site 1UP.com. "They want this to be seen and perceived exactly the way they want. That's why — outside of the official trailers they released — people haven't seen a lot of gameplay footage in advance of 'GTA IV' shipping. They want to build that hype."

Take-Two and Rockstar declined to comment for this story, but following a 90-minute demonstration of the game in January, "GTA IV" writer and Rockstar vice president Dan Houser told The a.ssociated Press that the infamous game developer, who's also responsible for the "Manhunt" and "Bully" games, was being overly protective for one very important reason.

"We want people to be really excited and not know everything by the time they play the game," said Houser. "Of course, we want them to understand what they're buying, but we want there to be surprises along the way."

The desire for intel about "GTA IV" has been mounting since the game was announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in 2006 and again in August when Take-Two revealed "GTA IV" would be delayed until 2008. Other than four popular online trailers and some embargoed press previews, there hasn't been much information.

The silent treatment is a savvy business move, according to Steve Fowler, vice president of strategy for the Ayzenberg Group, a company that specializes in interactive entertainment advertising and marketing. Fowler worked as a product manager on the original "Halo."

"'Halo 3' took the approach of going after a less core consumer, but they had an ulterior motive," says Fowler. "Microsoft was using 'Halo 3,' their biggest property, to try and sell more Xbox 360s. Take-Two and Rockstar are free of that constriction because 'GTA IV' is on both platforms, so they're only motivated to be true to what their game is and sell copies of their game."

Thus far, Rockstar's advertising campaign has consisted of several outdoor elements — billboards, bus wraps, building murals, phony wanted posters — spread across North America and Europe as well as a few viral videos featuring satirical commercials for fictitious "GTA" businesses posted online. GameStop and Microsoft have also aired their own TV commercials featuring the game.

The less-is-more approach might also have something to do with the controversial series' M-rated content. "GTA IV" anti-hero Niko Bellic, an imigrant-turned-gangster from Eastern Europe, isn't exactly one of the Mario Brothers. As Bellic, players can hijack cars, earn cash for criminal activities, flee from police, drive drunk, k!ll innocent bystanders and patronize strip clubs.

"If you look at their marketing, that's not a selling point at all," says Fowler. "They've gone with this comic book look and feel. It's not about graphic violence. It's not about profanity. It's more about the feeling, expression and the emotional attachment to the characters and the world."

The drama extends beyond Liberty City, the game's fictional locale, and into the real world. Video game publisher Take-Two, which owns Rockstar, has been subject to a hostile takeover bid from Electronic Arts since February. Take-Two has been holding out, refusing to enter formal talks with EA or any other suitor until April 30, the day after "GTA IV" goes on sale.

Huge first-day "GTA IV" sales could certainly boost the value of Take-Two's shares. The lack of a "Halo 3"-sized advertising campaign isn't expected to affect sales, according to video game analysts. Unlike the Xbox 360-exclusive "Halo 3," the ninth "GTA" game is being simultaneously released for Sony's and Microsoft's consoles, a first for the 10-year-old gaming franchise.

"The addressable market at launch is about 24 million consoles," says Michael Pachter, video game analyst at Wedbush Morgan. "So how many will sell in the first week or month or few months? Nine million. That's the number. That's about a 35 percent attach rate. By year's end, it'll be somewhere between 11 and 13 million because more consoles will be sold before the holidays."

By comparison, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," which had the highest grossing film debut in 2007, fleeced $404 million in its first six days around the world. However, a movie ticket is significantly less than the $59.99 price tag for "GTA IV." And software sales are usually less concerned with opening week figures, according to Pachter.

"Opening week doesn't have any bearing on lifetime sales," says Pachter. "With box office, three to five times opening weekend sales is what movies usually do. Games can slip under the radar and be slow and steady sellers like 'Wii Fit' will be or highly anticipated like 'GTA IV' and literally sell half of their lifetime units in the first week."

Such sales would beat the record held by "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," the previous "GTA" console game that sold over 9 million copies when it was released for the PlayStation 2 in 2004, according to NPD Group, which tracks video game sales. To meet the demand, retailers such as GameStop and Best Buy are opening their doors at midnight for special "GTA IV" launch events.

"I would expect April to be a monster sales month for the video game industry, one that is likely to break all sorts of previous records," says Anita Frazier, video game analyst for NPD Group. "We release our April sales data on May 15, and I get goosebumps thinking of the numbers we'll see on that day."
 10 years ago '04        #2027
Kap(Da)King|M 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,208 | Props total: 102 102
ahh goin to pick this up at 6 maybe..gasssed
 10 years ago '04        #2028
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,310 | Props total: 11346 11346
fu*k that sh*t, I'm leaving my crib at 11, I don't sleep so I don't give a fu*k about a line. Plus my Gamestop just opened like a month and a half ago so I doubt it'll be as wild as some of the other ones around my area. I'm getting so fu*king high tonight, can't wait. I think I might cop a bottle too for this festive occasion.
 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM         #2029
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
8 hours !!!!!!!!
 10 years ago '04        #2030
Dot.Com 5 heat pts
space
space
$704 | Props total: 563 563
The count down is ON!
 10 years ago '06        #2031
homme 59 heat pts59
space
space
$9,366 | Props total: 2081 2081
i dont know how imma go through this night at work
 10 years ago '05        #2032
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
GTA IV on Wii confirmed

[pic - click to view]

10 years ago '06        #2033
unclejuju 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,157 | Props total: 492 492
loololoollll!!
 10 years ago '04        #2034
Dot.Com 5 heat pts
space
space
Goes and download GTA2 for my pc :)
 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM         #2035
snoopaliciouS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P-Hill said:
GTA IV on Wii confirmed

[pic - click to view]

LMAOOOOO

nice
imma get my gta tomorrow @ 8:30 in the mornin

cant wait omg
 10 years ago '04        #2036
Dot.Com 5 heat pts
space
space
 snoopaliciouS said:
LMAOOOOO

nice
imma get my gta tomorrow @ 8:30 in the mornin

cant wait omg
Damn i can't even wait till 10 let alone another day :sick:
 10 years ago '04        #2037
Hood_Rich 7 heat pts
space
space
$15,685 | Props total: 432 432
if someone didnt pre order, whats the chance of me walking into a store and just getting it off the shelf??
 10 years ago '06        #2038
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
^i'd say 87-100% chance.
 10 years ago '04        #2039
ddotdukes5 
space
space
$3,046 | Props total: 9 9
my right trigger finger is twitching like crazy!!! I wonder if its anticipation for this game or all the damn typing and mouse clicking from work.
 10 years ago '05        #2040
Young OG 164 heat pts164
space
space
$18,229 | Props total: 13745 13745
 Hood_Rich said:
if someone didnt pre order, whats the chance of me walking into a store and just getting it off the shelf??
i just went to game stop and and pre ordered and paid it off at the same time so i don't have to wait @ 12:00 i just walk in and out so i'd say 100% just call and ask can you do that...and make sure they are a midnight release store
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
48 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
62 comments
23 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
101 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy