The *OFFICIAL* Grand Theft Auto IV Thread: Warning! Some People are posting SPOILERS

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
62 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
243 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Akademiks bout that Twitch Irl life.
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which Console Are You Getting GTA IV For?
PS3 188 36.29%
Xbox 360 302 58.30%
Both (That's How I Roll) 28 5.41%
Voters: 518. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '05        #181
natural 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,954 | Props total: 3 3
 1000bluntz said:
I'm sorry but some of y'all are just nerds for ordering that SE bullsh*t. What the fu*k you gonna do with a GTA duffel bag and a lock box? And y'all can download the soundtrack for free also. Just seems like a waste of funds to me but whatever, I'm cool.
real talk, i'm coppin that "kingme gta 4 se"
 10 years ago '04        #182
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 1000bluntz said:
I'm sorry but some of y'all are just nerds for ordering that SE bullsh*t. What the fu*k you gonna do with a GTA duffel bag and a lock box? And y'all can download the soundtrack for free also. Just seems like a waste of funds to me but whatever, I'm cool.
Don't get mad because you can't afford the extra $20 for the game...and the rest of us can...get your hustle up homie...
 10 years ago '04        #183
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
 Da Ill One said:
Don't get mad because you can't afford the extra $20 for the game...and the rest of us can...get your hustle up homie...
It's called having sense.

It wouldn't hurt to try it.
 04-08-2008, 07:13 AM         #184
BMS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah i dont see the point in getting special edition ones.... Its the game i want not all that bullsh*t
 10 years ago '04        #185
KidYungn 280 heat pts280
space
space
$2,237 | Props total: 2 2
I
Cant
Wait
Much
Longer
Ahhhhhhh!!!!
 10 years ago '04        #186
focused313 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,107 | Props total: 1360 1360
wow, I think I'm going to go pre-order this joint right now. Just reading the details makes this game seem like it will be well worth the wait.
 10 years ago '05        #187
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
 1000bluntz said:

how is anybody a nerd for getting the special edition? its my money i buy what i want just the same way you DONT want to buy the special edition...nobody gives a sh*t cop what you want
 10 years ago '05        #188
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,085 | Props total: 10767 10767

April 8, 2008 - If is anything like the previous iterations, it will offer a robust single-player experience, the kind that can last several hundred hours. That always worked well in the past, but Rockstar decided that wasn't enough this time around and added a sizable multiplayer component. Here's the challenge for Rockstar: create a multiplayer experience good enough to convince players to leave the single-player campaign for a little while. That's a tall task. After spending a day checking out four of the MP modes, we're pretty certain Rockstar's succeeded.

Multiplayer is accessed from the single-player game via Niko's cell phone and supports up to 16 players. Oh, and the entire world runs at the same time. That's right -- all the pedestrians, traffic and cops are there. The entire city is open to you and your fifteen friends in apparently every mode.

And that's what it feels like to have your mind blown.

You won't play the story mode in multiplayer. In fact, no one gets to be Niko online. Instead, you'll create a custom character (dude or babe) from about a half-dozen options. While the options we were shown were fairly limited, new clothes and accessories unlock as you rank up. Ranks run from 0-10, with experience earned by collecting cash in multiplayer. Cash is dropped by opponents and can be nabbed by anyone and is also automatically earned for performing certain tasks in the various modes. We didn't get to experience the leveling system, but it appears fairly simple. It's meant to reward you for playing a lot of multiplayer, but leveling up your character isn't the focus as it tends to be in Call of Duty 4 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Riding tandem on a bike is a whole lot of fun.

We weren't given a view of the lobby system, but from Rockstar's hints, it sounds like you will just run around going Bananarama in Liberty City until someone launches a game. The good news is that when a game is set up, the host has a myriad of options depending on the mode. This is everything from turning on cops (yes, you can have a wanted level in multiplayer), adjusting the density of traffic, selecting from several weather options (fog and heavy rain being the coolest), time of day, and even what radio station is playing. We counted sixteen options for one mode and the others had similar amounts.

Playing with eight people, we only had one instance of slowdown. And that was when all of us were firing RPGs into a crowd of cops. At that point, the game just sort of threw up it hands and said, "Come on, seriously?" Except for this brief moment of slowdown, our hours enjoying GTA IV online were without incident. And, more importantly, the controls never suffered. You may notice a slight drop in visual fidelity (or perhaps we're nuts), but GTA IV still looks great in multiplayer. The city is as alive and vibrant as in the single-player campaign -- and it's a lot more hectic. That so much can be happening at once without the game breaking in half is an amazing feat. The fact that it's also incredibly fun is just a bonus.

Before we break down each of the four modes played (Team deathmatch, GTA Race, Cops N Crooks and Hangman's NOOSE), there is one significant gameplay change from single-player mode. When playing MP, your names shows above your head along with a colored dot. However, if you if you crouch, your name disappears, making you tougher to spot. And if you use cover, both your name and dot disappear. It may sound insignificant, but both bring an unexpected pacing to GTA multiplayer by rewarding you for being strategic in your combat.

Aside from this, the gameplay is basically the same as in single-player. There is no dumbing down of the game. So you will be able to take cover, jack cars, climb up buildings, swim, run over pedestrians and toss Molotov c*cktails out the window of your car, just as you can with Niko in the main campaign. No, you won't have a main story component, but if you've trained in single-player, you should be able to do well in multiplayer. Unless you're playing against people at Rockstar. Damn you to hell, Hove Beachin!
 10 years ago '05        #189
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
Team deathmatch
Hil's Take: I went into GTA IV believing that the multiplayer would be like a third-person version of Quake -- twitch gameplay, lots of deaths, and just a touch of shallowness to the whole deal. I was wrong. The cover system makes a big difference.

Most folks died three or four times in a 10 minute match. On Happiness Island (Rockstar's version of Liberty Island), the team that can claim ground at the mighty statue's base has a severe advantage. They can place a few snipers along the wall and two people can guard the stairwell that acts as the lone entry point. If the other team is full of fools, they'll run out in the open and lose quickly. Otherwise, they will dash along the surrounding buildings from cover to cover or approach through some heavy bushes. Find the right weapons (and some body armor) and you can make an devastating charge to claim the base of the statue.

In open areas, things do get a bit more hectic. Especially when vehicles get in the mix. My favorite is holding tight to Davey Clay on the back of a motorcycle. You get a clear view of all enemies and you're free to fire while your partner drives. Headshotting a would-be a.ssassin while popping a wheelie: priceless.

As with many of the other modes, there are a lot of options to suit your personal tastes. This includes altering the weapon layout. A game of shotty? Done. All heavy weapons? Bingo. Rockets only? Hell yes. You really can never go wrong with rocket launchers. Especially since you can blindfire with an RPG. Blindfiring an RPG into someone's face as he turns the corner is what professionals call, "givin' him da bid'ness." I quickly discovered that I'm not impervious to my own rocket fire. However, with friendly fire off, I take no damage if an ally shoots a rocket at my feet to launch me in the air and onto a roof. Call it co-op rocket jumps. The only caution is that no one is immune to gravity. Jump over a building (instead of onto it) and the landing could k!ll you. If only Rockstar would add a bit of aftertouch control so you could guide yourself in the air, then all would be good in the kingdom of Heaven.

Winning Team deathmatch isn't a matter of scoring the most k!lls (though that helps). In true GTA fashion, it's about coming away with the most cash. Much of that does come from k!lling people, but picking up bonus cash left by the dead makes the difference.

Here's a tip: Cars can run over people.

Dave's Take: Team deathmatch in Liberty City requires more strategy than you think. Ducking and taking cover are a huge part of combat because of their tie to a player's visibility. Every deathmatch map has a main point of contention and if you can sneak to a cover point with a view of that area you'll rack up the k!lls. But since the game is about collecting cash drops, headshots campers are encouraged to leave their post and grab the loot.

The rules we set for deathmatch were rather tame considering the options available. We duked it out on Happiness Island under the Statue of Liberty and there weren't any vehicles or police to get in the way.

I imagine there will be two groups of deathmatch fans, gamers who play to demonstrate their skill and gamers that get their rocks off blind firing a rocket launcher from a bus. We tried both and though it was difficult to stay alive for more than five seconds there just isn't any denying the fun of an all rockets skirmish.

Cops N Crooks
Hil's Take: They say to save the best for last, but I've always thought that was a dumb suggestion. Rather than make you wait, let's chat about the best mode played when we visited Rockstar. Cops N Crooks puts players on two very different teams. One team spawns as crooks, with one of its members randomly selected to be the crime boss (or VIP). The other team spawns as cops in squad cars. The crooks need to help the boss get to a randomly selected escape points so he can flee the city. Most of these are along the water for a boat escape, though some have you extricated from a roof via helicopter. The cops win by either k!lling the boss or destroying the escape vehicle.

There are a few twists that make this the most interesting version of VIP I've ever played. The cops can see the crooks on their radar (with the boss getting a unique icon), but they don't know where the escape vehicle is located. Remember, all of Liberty City is open, so it's not going to be easy to immediately guess where the crooks might be headed. While the cops spawn in cars, the crooks start on foot and must find transportation. This gives the cops an early advantage, unless TeamXbox's Andy Eddy is driving. Even my grandmother can escape a pursuing Officer Eddy.
 10 years ago '05        #190
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
The crooks only see the cops on radar when they are about to apply a cavity search. So you just never know what the cops are up to. But, you can see your extraction point. The boss has a single life, but the other crooks respawn. This allows for a lot of possibilities for strategy. Do you stick together and go in force? Do you put the boss on a motorcycle and then try and cause roadblocks for the coppers? Or do you do what we did and constantly crash your car and accidentally shoot one another?

The cops also have some strategy to consider. While you do respawn, it is often well outside the action. Do you take note of the direction the crooks are headed and make a guess where the extraction point is located? That could pay off. Do you go in as few cars as possible or do you split up? Clearly, learning the city by playing the single-player is going to be a big help in dominating multiplayer.

Cops N Crooks is a brilliant recreation of a caper movie... after the caper's gone horribly wrong. Not only are extraction point locations random, so are the spawn points for both teams. Sometimes the crooks spawn on the street sans car and 30 seconds later police sirens can be heard. Hey, crooks get a lot of bad breaks.

While all of the multiplayer modes I played were good, C&C was far superior to the others. It's my new favorite type of entertainment.

Only cool kids get to rid in helis.

Dave's Take: Normally deathmatch is the meat and potatoes of any online shooter but from what we've seen Cops N Crooks is the premiere reason to take GTA online. On the surface the setup is deceptively simple. The Cops start with a vehicle, the Crooks do not. The Crooks have to get to an extraction point marked on their map, the Cops only know the location of the people they're chasing. k!ll the crime boss, and it's game over. Depending on the randomly a.ssigned location of each team and the extraction point, the game can feel weighted in favor of a single team, but the single most important factor about this match type is teamwork. The more you talk, coordinate, and cooperate the better you'll do and it makes for a thrilling experience.

While playing as the crooks it was integral to have one person in charge of setting a waypoint on the map, one person skilled at driving, and at least one person running distraction. You must communicate, you must work together. Unlike deathmatch, the work of a single player can tip the scales but it can't carry the team. I was impressed when the finely crafted rules of this game imposed order on the chaos of Liberty City. In one instance the Cops set up a well-placed road block that anticipated our movement through a bottleneck not far from our spawn point. Their preparation and our lack of foresight ended the match quickly. We'd lost, but we'd also learned that trying to bomb through an obstacle without a plan was bad idea. While other modes have an ever-present element of anarchy, Cops N Crooks was serious business. More importantly even when my team was getting completely stomped, I was still having fun. This is the mode that I can tell will eat up hours of my time and I cannot wait to revisit with larger teams.

Hangman's NOOSE
Hil's Take: Niko's story is going to remain just for Niko. To satisfy fans' desire for cooperative play, Rockstar added some Niko-free co-op modes in multiplayer. These four-player missions are sort of halfway between the feel of a campaign mission and multiplayer madness. There's a little bit of story -- cutscenes introducing the mission and putting it to a close -- and few random elements. You have a start point and the same definitive endpoint each time you play. The change comes with upping the difficulty and altering the options to stiffen the challenge.

In Hangman's NOOSE, you and your 1-3 other cohorts must take down the cops guarding a crime boss, Kenny, who's on a grounded plane at the airport. On the harder difficulties, it can get pretty crazy as the cops attempt to flank your party. They'll keep coming until one of you parks a vehicle in front of Kenny's plane. The options are to swipe an armored van or an attack chopper. Either makes for a fun escape.

The heli is a hot ride and makes for an easier escape. One person pilots with Kenny riding shotgun. Two others can hop in the sides and fire from the edge of the chopper. You'll see plenty of combat choppers giving chase, along with cops on the ground trying to keep you from getting to the extraction point at a baseball field. And everyone must make it to the baseball field to win the mission. If one dies, he respawns away from his pals and will almost certainly have a tougher task to get past the cops.

It's tougher to get through in the armored van, but far more fun. One crook drives, Kenny rides shotgun again and two others can ride in the back. Kick open the doors and you can fire outside. Your task is to try and shoot out the tires on other police cars, which sends them spinning off into other cars. Or put a few shots through the windshield and ace the driver. The more of a mess you can make on the road, the harder it will be for the cops to halt your escape.
 10 years ago '05        #191
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
Dave's Take: More of a set piece than a mode, The Hang Man's Noose is the closest thing we've seen to the single player GTA storyline being played by multiple people. The protect-and-extract mission gets right to the point with an all-out gun battle on an air strip. On the hardest difficulty setting the game throws an impressive number of NPCs at you.

In a few of the videos on our site you can see quick examples of how enemies move in GTA but it takes hands-on time to appreciate how the SWAT Team flanks, advances, and dives for cover. And when you have more than one police chopper and a sea of squad behind your getaway vehicle team tactics are required. The best part about the large scale f!ght was how it exemplified how much action can take place on the screen at once in multiplayer without any technical snags. Hang Man's NOOSE is just one story-line related multiplayer mission, I hope to play many more.

GTA Race
Hil's Take: You can't have Grand Theft Auto without the Auto. So it's only natural to have a racing mode as part of the multiplayer component. But doing standard races would be boring as hell considering GTA's scope. Instead, Rockstar made a mode worthy of the open-world aspects of the series. Sure, there are some racing standards -- checkpoints, a finish line, cars -- but this mode is much more than what I expected.

Let's say you choose a car to start the race and realize it's not nearly as good as your buddy's? Just hop out of your car and jack his. Or better yet, get in the backseat and steal a ride. Take any car or run on foot. Get through the checkpoints anyway you want. Or ignore checkpoints altogether and just cause havoc for others. Set up a roadblock, wait for your opponents to wreck, then hit them with an RPG.

Do yourself a favor a take a heli tour around Liberty City.

You can pick up weapons and fire from inside or outside your car. But you can only hold one weapon at a time. Personally, I like using 'nades. For one, it's a whole lot of fun dropping them out the window to blow up cars behind you. It's perhaps even more fun, though, to stand in the street and cook a grenade. Wait for a couple of cars to near and sacrifice yourself for the good or blowing up your enemies. It's pretty tough to tell someone is clutching a grenade, so this tactic is amazingly effective.

If cars aren't your thing, you can try a helicopter race. This is tough. I wasn't ready for the realism of GTA choppers. The first instinct is to control them like a toy, but that just won't do. It takes a few minutes to get the hang of manipulating the chopper, getting it to respond properly and maximize speed. Many of the race paths take you weaving through the city and there is a very narrow window for checkpoints, so your flying must be precise. If you select an attack chopper, you can fire at others. Helicopters are not built for dogf!ghts, so it's really tough to take out your opponents. The better way is to get above someone else and tap their blades with the feet of your chopper. Do this near some buildings and you should be able to take them down.

Dave's Take: Every aspect of GTA IV's multiplayer is influenced by an element of chaos and racing is no different. The host sets a few ground rules like vehicle type, location, time limit and laps, but once the starter pistol sounds it's anyone's guess what will happen next. The check point system presents players with hovering icons and map markers to guide them through the course but there are no invisible walls to hold you back from the rest of the city.

How do you define winning? Are you going to be the fastest or do you prefer the Mad Max approach to transportation? The combat portion of racing relies on two game mechanics that have been significantly retooled. Since the right trigger becomes the gas pedal pulling the trigger to shoot from a vehicle is mapped to the left shoulder. This allows competent players to maintain control of their machine and aim at the same time. A well-placed shot at someone's tire can make all the difference because while the cars handle better than in previous installments damage will significantly hamper their functionality.

If car combat isn't your forte you can always ignore the vehicles entirely, pick up a weapon, and run over to a check point and wait for an unsuspecting victim. During our race experience skirmishes regularly broke out on the race course. With enough players GTA Race is the real running riot. It's this unpredictability is what makes racing so attractive. And I've only really delved into a standard match using cars.

----------------------------------------------------

We wish we could tell you more about GTA IV's multiplayer, but some things are better left for you to find on your own. It's best to think of GTA IV like an iceberg. Everything you read is the 10% above the water. So if these four modes sounds exciting to you, just consider that there's a big a.ss iceberg floating beneath the surface that you can discover on April 29.
 10 years ago '05        #193
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

10 years ago '04        #194
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
$3,510 | Props total: 30 30
if the online aint laggy this is gonna be the #1 game on live
 10 years ago '07        #195
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
just ordered the game for xbox 360 from zavii, does any1 really no (uk people) how good zavii are for delivery?
 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM         #196
BMS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nope sorry

But i wanna preorder it from somewhere so i get it as early as possible, if not and i go up town on release day... there will be big ques and sold out mostly evereywhere wont they
 10 years ago '04        #197
efromthev 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,588 | Props total: 440 440
The multiplayer looks crazy, those screen look alot better than the one that previously came out. I can't wait much longer
 10 years ago '05        #198
Lethal Intent|m 2 heat pts
space
space
$10,445 | Props total: 2 2
Dudes trip me out tryna hate on people for getting the special edition. I got it...what's an extra $20 anyways?

Guess I'm a "nerd." :(
 10 years ago '04        #199
+HydrO+ 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
$3,510 | Props total: 30 30
first post updated with

IGN hands on & screenshots
 10 years ago '05        #200
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
 Welsh! said:
just ordered the game for xbox 360 from zavii, does any1 really no (uk people) how good zavii are for delivery?
...i got an account with them but havent ordered anything yet...all i can say is game will have it at your door on the 28th for sure...every game ive pre-ordered with them was delivered the day before store release
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
84 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy