BXSC Who Is The NBA MVP? (Thread Discussion)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
52 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
69 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Who is the MVP?
Kobe Bryant 84 55.63%
Lebron James 12 7.95%
Chris Paul 48 31.79%
Kevin Garnett 6 3.97%
Other 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM         #201
WAY2FONKEY  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Big Dee said:

[pic - click to view]

:wow:
 03-28-2008, 10:51 PM         #202
WAY2FONKEY  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 icedout921 said:
You know better than even try to come at me the sports dunce with a arguement
:applause::applause::applause:
 03-29-2008, 12:24 AM         #203
Andre3000  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Luckily CP3 lost today. Feel sorry for Kobe hes probably gonna have to take another loss when he plays my Wizards
 03-29-2008, 12:41 AM         #204
Andre3000  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 J.R. Hyphy said:
avy bet 3stacks?
U already know :applause:
 10 years ago '06        #205
Gd_UP 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,509 | Props total: 93 93
someone already said it. but bottom line is if kobe had a healthy shooting hand and bynum and gasol never got injured then Lakers are f!ghting with boston for best record in the league. end of discussion.
 03-29-2008, 01:36 AM         #206
icedout921  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gd_UP said:
someone already said it. but bottom line is if kobe had a healthy shooting hand and bynum and gasol never got injured then Lakers are f!ghting with boston for best record in the league. end of discussion.
even you had a few brain cells you wouldnt be such a fu*king moron.
 03-29-2008, 01:37 AM         #207
icedout921  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 J.R. Hyphy said:
if you never seen the Lakers in the no.1 seed in the west this whole year
if you think the mets will do any better then they did last year
yankees>mets. ny sweetcake.

i see you poppin up in every Kobe thread, you love that n*gga. :sick:
again learn to read you dumb bi*ch.

you said the lakers were in first the whole year.

that is false.

mets>yankess>your existence

This aint even a Kobe thread you dumb fu*k
 03-29-2008, 12:14 PM         #208
shizzytheking  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nowitzki's No. 1: Kobe Bryant

Weekend Dime ranking: No. 1

Kobe's standout stats: 28.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.88 spg, 46.0 FG%

Dirk's comment: "He's the best player in the game and he's never won it before. He's had his injuries, his team [has] had injuries and they're still right up there in the West. They just beat us without [Pau] Gasol and [Andrew] Bynum. I think this is his time."

WD a.ssessment: Best Player In The Game status is not enough for us. Ditto for Best Player To Never Win The MVP Award status. Bryant answers to both, but you could just name him MVP on opening night if those were the primary criteria.

The MVP has to have the best overall season to get our vote.

On this scorecard? With about 10 games to go, Kobe qualifies there, too.

As stated in this cyberspace a few weeks back, Bryant is basically doing everything we've been imploring him to do since Shaquille O'Neal left the Lakers. Dock him points, if you wish, for all the drama Bryant created from late May through Halloween, but credit him for his unimpeachable focus, leadership and ferocity from the moment Lakers management told him on the eve of the season opener against Houston that he wasn't going to be traded.

Working in the conference of the century and possibly carrying the league's greatest expectations -- all while drawing more attention from opposing defenses than just about anyone going -- Bryant is playing the best team ball of his life while playing at an MVP level individually. At both ends.

Just last week, L.A. won in Dallas and Utah without Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol, amid claims by Bryant's detractors that he wouldn't be up here in the MVP reckoning if Memphis hadn't dropped Gasol in the Lakers' laps on Feb. 1. Bryant has to get some credit for Bynum's development as well as Pau's fast transition to a new team because his rivals in the MVP race are all getting the same kudos for the effect they have on their teammates. He's winning like he hasn't won since Shaq was a Laker, which is what separates this Kobe from the MVP outsider of the past three seasons.

Nowitzki's No. 2: Chris Paul

Weekend Dime ranking: No. 2

CP3's standout stats: 21.6 ppg, 11.4 apg, 3.9 rpg, 2.71 spg, 49.4 FG%, 37.3 3PT%

Dirk's comment: "He's a beast. I don't care how big he is. He's a beast. That high screen-and-roll they run, you can't guard it. They've had an amazing season."

WD a.ssessment: If Bill Simmons and I agreed on anything during our all-day podcast earlier in the week (see Box 4), it's that Paul has to win this thing if the Hornets finish with the best overall record in the West.

Has to.

Even after all of the above slobbering over Kobe, how can you deny Paul if the Hornets -- New Orleans? -- win the most competitive conference race ever?

Let's face it: Paul has been the season's best point guard in a conference overflowing with great ones. Even if he doesn't become the first player in NBA history to average at least 20 points, 10 a.ssists and three steals in one season, he's going to be the league's first 20-10 guy since Tim Hardaway in 1992-93. He's also averaging a ridiculous 4.5 a.ssists to every turnover -- not bad for someone who only has to make the play on every single possession -- and has powered New Orleans to a record of 5-1 in its games against Paul's three main MVP rivals (Lakers, Cavaliers and Celtics) entering Friday night's visit to Boston.

However …

If the Hornets don't win the West and the teams stay pretty close record-wise, I'm sticking with Kobe. Amazing as it is that the Hornets are even in the running for No. 1 in the West given that they've yet to play a playoff game in the Paul Era, Bryant has the tougher job (at least to me) because of all the double- and triple-teams and junk defenses that he (and LeBron James) has to see, and those higher expectations. No one ever said this job was easy, either.

Nowitzki's No. 3: LeBron James

Weekend Dime ranking: No. 4

LeBron's standout stats: 30.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 7.3 apg, 1.83 spg, 48.5 FG%

Nowitzki's comment: "When he puts his head down and goes to the basket, he's so strong that he does whatever he wants. And he's starting to take games over in the fourth quarter. He's the future of this league. He'll win plenty of MVPs. I wouldn't be too worried."

WD a.ssessment: It must be some race if a guy basically averaging 31, 8 and 8 can't finish higher than third. (Or fourth.)

But that's the sort of race this is.

The Cavs have been playing short-handed all season thanks to contract issues early and injuries throughout. The big trade Cleveland swung at the trade-deadline buzzer likewise hasn't even lessened LeBron's load yet, with Ben Wallace hobbling and Wally Szczerbiak struggling to make the midseason transition.

The fact remains, though, that the Cavs are in a much easier conference yet are on pace to fall short of the 50 wins they've recorded in each of the past two seasons. Surely you haven't forgotten the oft-recited stat -- applied to LeBron and at various points over the past couple years -- that reminds us that Moses Malone stands as the last MVP from a team that failed to win 50 games … all the way back in 1981-82.

It's true that Cleveland might be on a more impressive track than 46-36 had LeBron not missed five games from Nov. 30 through Dec. 8. But Kobe missing almost no time with a hand injury more severe than LeBron's can't help James' case, even if the Cavs were simply taking advantage of the luxury they had in the easier East to play it safe and give their franchise player some bonus rest.

Team success has always been a major variable with us because the ultimate value in any individual's season is how much winning goes with it. Is it reasonable to expect Cleveland to have a better record in the East than its current mark of 23-19? Even accounting for all the issues mentioned above, I'd say so.

Nowitzki's No. 4: Kevin Garnett

Weekend Dime ranking: No. 3

KG's standout stats: 19.0 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.44 spg, 1.26 bpg, 53.6 FG%

Nowitzki's comment: "I love what KG's doing. He plays the best all-around game."

WD a.ssessment: I applaud KG for repeatedly saying recently that Paul Pierce is the Celtics' MVP.

But I liked it even better when I heard Pierce's response Wednesday, which pretty much echoed everything I've believed and spouted about KG all season.

Said PP: "The whole face of Celtics Nation turned around when the trade happened with this guy. Everybody talks about the MVP, and they talk about numbers, but this guy has changed the whole culture around here and I think that says a lot. The mentality, from a day-to-day aspect, everything is changed from a year ago."

Bingo.

Intensity-wise. Defensively. It all flows from No. 5. All the Celts have to do now is finish 5-6 to record the biggest single-season improvement in NBA history, besting the 36-win jump made by San Antonio in Tim Duncan's first season.

Dare I say they'll get those last five wins. And when they do, I simply won't be able to put Garnett any lower than No. 3.

Putting him that low, frankly, doesn't feel right, either.

Nowitzki's No. 5: Steve Nash

Weekend Dime ranking: Manu Ginobili is our No. 5

Nash's standout stats: 17.5 ppg, 11.2 apg, 3.4 rpg, 51.8 FG%, 48.2 3PT%

Nowitzki's comment: "There's always a case for Nashy."

Weekend Dime a.ssessment: Pierce, Dwight Howard and Tracy McGrady all merit a mention here, as does Duncan, Amare Stoudemire and, yes, Nowitzki.

Yet I'd be going with Ginobili if my ballot were due today because he's been the most dangerous and dependable Spur this season.

Think about that.
 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM         #209
Andre3000  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Posted by: Tyson Chandler

Chris doesn't talk about the MVP at all. I think we talk about it more for him than he speaks on it. I honestly haven't heard him say one thing about the MVP since all this has been going on. But I've been saying a lot and a lot of other players have been saying a lot, because he's our guy and we feel like he's proven himself to be the MVP.

It's funny. I was talking to Jannero the other day, and I was saying that you always turn on the different channels and you get a chance to watch Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett, so you're a little bit in awe of them. Because you don't get a chance to see them every day. It's almost like having that girlfriend that you see every day and you don't appreciate what you got until you step back and really actually look at things.

We see what CP does every day, so it's not big to us. But then we actually sit back sometimes and watch his accomplishments, watch what he's able to do on the floor and what he's established already as a young player, it's a little mind-boggling.

And for the first time, about a month ago, I actually stepped back and watched him. I just started thinking about everything he's done throughout the season, and I'm like, "It's not even close to me at this point." Because, even if I wasn't on his team, what he's done for this team, for the city, for the organization, and helping other players, he's hands-down the MVP.

Now, if you asked me who's the best player in the league, I'd go with Kobe Bryant or LeBron James. But, to me, it's not about the best player. Most Valuable Player is about who's the most valuable to their team. And I think he's proven that he makes everybody around him better. I think that's why he should be the MVP, and I think that's why Steve Nash was the MVP twice.

I played with J-Kidd this summer. The difference between CP and J-Kidd is that CP scores better. But they're both unbelievable in the way they see the floor, the way they run a club and the way they make everybody around them better. To me, that's what point guards got away from a little bit for a generation. And I think Chris is kinda bringing that back, as far as making players around him better first. That's what your point guard is supposed to do.

And on top of that, he can score when needed. The fact that he puts up 30 points and 15 a.ssists is unbelievable. He's really pass-first. Scoring to him is a second option. He only scores to make you play him honest.

People say that LeBron doesn't have a supporting cast or that Kobe doesn't (now he does, but they said that before). Well, if you look at it, CP took a guy like David West, who you didn't hear much about before CP came to New Orleans. Now CP comes and David West finishes second for Most Improved Player and his averages go up drastically. Then later, David West is an All-Star.

You take Tyson Chandler, who was forgotten about, basically cast off in Chicago, and who people are calling a "bust", and in one year, all of a sudden, Tyson Chandler is playing for the USA team. And in the second year, was considered for the All-Star Game as well. So when you think about it, CP didn't have great players around him either. But he made the players around him better. So, you can make that same argument for him.

I would say that 50 percent of my success goes to CP and Coach Scott and the coaching staff. The other 50 percent is the hard work that I put in. But no matter how much work I put in, a lot of what I accomplish on the court is confidence. Now I believe in myself to get out there and do certain things. I started from the ground up. When I first came to the Hornets, I didn't have that. It was them believing in me, CP force-feeding me, coach running plays for me, getting me in a rhythm to where I'm at now.

CP and I are first in the NBA in alley-oops. That lets you know right there. I was wondering what's the all-time record. Because we gotta be either close to breaking the record or in the top five of all-time.

HOME SWEET HOME
Ten days and six games on the road. It felt so good to be home. I got a chance to wake up with my little girl this morning. We were running around the house and I couldn't leaver her, so she's going with me to work out.

Today's an off day, but I'm going to the gym to get some free throws in. I was 0-for-3 last night. I gotta work on that.

I plan on hiring a shooting coach. I'm actually going in to test the waters a little bit, because I plan on hiring a guy full-time. I think if I can knock down that little jump shot and make free throws consistently, it'll take me to a whole 'nother level.

STILL NO. 1
Being the No. 1 seed in the West is more of a big deal for us, not for anything except for pride of accomplishment. And obviously, if we're No. 1, we win our division, which is great. We get home court advantage and we would have held off the better teams in the league throughout the last part of the season. And if we stay No. 1, that means that we almost won out, and that means that we're going into the playoffs hot.

We feel really good right now, but we want to go into the postseason full-stride. And for us, it's all defense. We don't necessarily have a problem scoring the ball. It's really all about defense. That also translates into fast break points when we're at our best.

You can't worry about matchups right now though, until maybe the last day. Until then, it's gonna shuffle around a couple more times. You don't know who you're going to be facing. And I think, at this point for us, it doesn't really matter who we face, because we know all eight teams are going to be great opponents. They're all great ball clubs and either way it goes, we know we're gonna be in for a dogf!ght.

Takes a man to admit that u suck and some1 made u better.
 10 years ago '06        #210
jj01 
space
space
$44,988 | Props total: 4711 4711
did motivation hack your account?
 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM         #211
Andre3000  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jj01 said:
did motivation hack your account?
Na just found it funny that Tyson said what he said tho. CP3 is arguably MVP in my eyes the Hornets are just overhyped and will lose in the 1st rd come playoff time. That Voodoo wont help in the playoffs CP3 is on bought time
 10 years ago '05        #212
_Player2 208 heat pts208
space
space
$13,407 | Props total: 9256 9256
I concur with the sentiment, Chris Paul so far this season is MVP

10 years ago '06        #213
jj01 
space
space
$44,988 | Props total: 4711 4711
 Andre3000 said:
Na just found it funny that Tyson said what he said tho. CP3 is arguably MVP in my eyes the Hornets are just overhyped and will lose in the 1st rd come playoff time. That Voodoo wont help in the playoffs CP3 is on bought time

damn so that would be 2 years in a row the mvp accepts from his couch
 10 years ago '05        #214
TheT 21 heat pts21
space
space
$16,915 | Props total: 719 719
nobody should be surprised he's saying this. the n*gga was garbage until he came to New Orleans. now he gets about 3 allys a game and his scoring is up.
 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM         #215
WAY2FONKEY  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 FlippiN Oz's said:
I concur with the sentiment, Chris Paul so far this season is MVP

you listen to plies and yola you are the A-S-S in my eyes
 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM         #216
The Infamous  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
right....
 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM         #217
TimeIsMoney  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 The Infamous said:
right....
you mad at the truth? Kobe ain't no MVP fu*k outta here, you seen what happened when Bynum went down and when Pau did too.
 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM         #218
The Infamous  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TimeIsMoney said:
you mad at the truth? Kobe ain't no MVP fu*k outta here, you seen what happened when Bynum went down and when Pau did too.
kobe carried the team the last 2 years to the playoffs when the bench had NO experience

scoring 50++ points just to secure a spot

even with an injured finger this season he is making things happen for the team

if u put ronny turrif as center, the lakers will still win 80% of the time

i wanna see lebran or cp5 do the same thing, oh wait, they cant

END of Discussion, u lost your posting rights on this site log off now
 04-03-2008, 11:55 PM         #219
WAY2FONKEY  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TimeIsMoney said:
:wow: what great logic!! when need more guys like you in the universities instead of doing janitorial work:rolleyes:
 04-03-2008, 11:56 PM         #220
WAY2FONKEY  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 The Infamous said:
kobe carried the team the last 2 years to the playoffs when the bench had NO experience

scoring 50++ points just to secure a spot

even with an injured finger this season he is making things happen for the team

if u put ronny turrif as center, the lakers will still win 80% of the time

i wanna see lebran or cp5 do the same thing, oh wait, they cant

END of Discussion, u lost your posting rights on this site log off now
daaaaaaaaaaaaamn you aint have ta do him like that homey! shiiiiiiiiit
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
84 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
88 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
54 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
83 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy