Mar 20 - Jay-Z Wants ''Way Too Much'' For Carter Music Label

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
50 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
90 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
10 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #61
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
space
$46,366 | Props total: 8457 8457
 REAL_NESS said:
The fu*k?

is this thread on repeat? Folks have already posted the artists/ new artists that have garnered success

Now I ask you since you refuse to acknowledge it, what label has been able to be an all-around success with Rap/R&B recently? Not to mention what major had more success than Def Jam?

Not to mention Jay was the obvious "face" of the label, he did not have as many duties as led on

The one thing I will say is that it a distraction to have someone who is president and who also is an active member of the roster
i give up debating with you
again you came at me with a.ssumption and no facts at all what so ever. you doing nothing but protecting this dude. all because of the hype y'all think jay is doing the damn thing when in reality hes not.
 03-20-2008, 06:04 PM         #62
REAL_NESS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Javon23 said:
i give up debating with you
again you came at me with a.ssumption and no facts at all what so ever. you doing nothing but protecting this dude. all because of the hype y'all think jay is doing the damn thing when in reality hes not.
you can't answer the questions so you present a cop out?

Did you not read my last statement? I said its an obvious distraction to be a president and to also be an active member of the roster (doing shows, dropping albums etc.)

your talking about facts when you yourself have not presented ANY. you talk about a.ssumptions but you a.ssumed I was "a typical BET watcher"
 10 years ago '05        #63
That Dude 
space
space
$847 | Props total: 89 89
 introspekt757 said:
i agree but just b/c someone turns you down doesnt mean you stop trying

not always, contrary to popular belief it is possible to get something for nothing
ex: Diddy giving the LOX their publishing back
Correct me if im wrong but, I don't think Diddy has given them back their publishing yet
 10 years ago '04        #64
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,611 | Props total: 1782 1782
 That Dude said:
Correct me if im wrong but, I don't think Diddy has given them back their publishing yet
Das what i was thinkiin....
 10 years ago '04        #65
S-Coll 
space
space
$210 | Props total: 0 0
 Nugen2384 said:
Jay-z as an exec was a failure. Him being the head of a label is going to be a bigger failure.
you mad homie. Everyone thinks that jay didn't do a job at def jam, sales below will prove that wrong -

Fabolous 2 Albums, Gold on both.
Juelz Santana - Gold
Rick Ross - Gold
Ludacris 2 Albums, Both went plat.
Rihanna 3 albums, all went plat
Ne-yo 2 albums, both went plat
young jeezy 2 albums, both went plat
kanye west - late registration - 3.5x platinum
kanye sold 957k first week

he came back and sold 425k first week with american gangster with no videos, no radio singles, basically no promotion. why did jay do this and other artists can't? because he had an amazingly hot product and he still has an amazing fan base.

Def Jam received 26 Grammy nominations in 2007. Who said he did a poor job at Def Jam?
 10 years ago '04        #66
BackBlock_OG 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,959 | Props total: 1094 1094
 Javon23 said:
you started a.ssuming 1st homie
im just saying people give Jay too much credit he didn't earn.
business wise what did he accomplished with Def Jam (President)
his 40/40 club get sued on a regular.
hows the rocafella label doing.
hows Tierra Marie's career doing
When you say Jay-Z's a failure, who are you comparing him too? You say 40/40 gets sued on the regular... of course, what sucessful business do you know that doesn't get sued all the time. The whole reason people are suing is b/c they figure they can come up off the suit. 40/40 has branched off to Vegas, Atlantic City, and Tokyo. If that's the sign of a failing business, I need to get down with the people you're doing business with.

Then you say, how's roc-a-fella doing? How's G-Unit doing? How's death Row, Cash Money, Badboy, No Limit, Shady Records, etc, etc. Once again, who are you comparing him too? As for Tierra Marie, you lost your respect for even bringing that sh*t up. That just makes you look like a straight up hater. You name me any so-called "successful music exec" and I can name 10-15 artist that failed under their label. And if Dame's the brains like you say, how come he couldn't get Dame Dash Music group off the ground? As a matter of fact, all his ventures since Jay's left have failed.

You're busy telling people that they don't have facts, what facts have you presented? You said you know people in the industry, who doesn't? The facts are, you don't know Jay or Dame, or any of their lawyers, so you don't know sh*t about who did what or who's responsible for what? All you know is what we know, and that's the numbers, which clearly show that you don't know what the fu*k you're talking about. Are any of the people you know anywhere near as successful as Jay-Zin this industry? Jay-Z's #1 on the Forbes list. If the guy who's #1 is a failure, who's successful?

Last edited by BackBlock_OG; 03-20-2008 at 07:19 PM..
 10 years ago '05        #67
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,218 | Props total: 15783 15783
 BackBlock_OG said:
When you say Jay-Z's a failure, who are you comparing him too? You say 40/40 gets sued on the regular... of course, what sucessful business do you know that doesn't get sued all the time. The whole reason people are suing is b/c they figure they can come up off the suit. 40/40 has branched off to Vegas, Atlantic City, and Tokyo. If that's the sign of a failing business, I need to get down with the people you're doing business with.

Then you say, how's roc-a-fella doing? How's G-Unit doing? How's death Row, Cash Money, Badboy, No Limit, Shady Records, etc, etc. Once again, who are you comparing him too? As for Tierra Marie, you lost your respect for even bringing that sh*t up. That just makes you look like a straight up hater. You name me any so-called "successful music exec" and I can name 10-15 artist that failed under their label. And if Dame's the brains like you say, how come he couldn't get Dame Dash Music group off the ground? As a matter of fact, all his ventures since Jay's left have failed.

You're busy telling people that they don't have facts, what facts have you presented? You said you know people in the industry, who doesn't? The facts are, you don't know Jay or Dame, or any of their lawyers, so you don't know sh*t about who did what or who's responsible for what? All you know is what we know, and that's the numbers, which clearly show that you don't know what the fu*k you're talking about. Are any of the people you know anywhere near as successful as Jay-Zin this industry? Jay-Z's #1 on the Forbes list. If the guy who's #1 is a failure, who's successful?
You just k!lled, just about every hater in this thread with this post....Jay is that dude, but like life people hate whats successful.
 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM         #68
REAL_NESS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BackBlock_OG said:

Holy sh*t :wow::applause::applause:

n*gga just murked this thread
 10 years ago '06        #69
thaavcappo 
space
space
space
$134 | Props total: 0 0
100 million huh...who will he sign 2 this label anyway...
 10 years ago '04        #70
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
space
 BackBlock_OG said:

you come at me with a.ssumptions i come at you with facts.

Jay Z's American Gangster Causes Massive Layoffs at Def Jam

The entire industry is buzzing about the latest round of lay offs at Island Def Jam Records. You recall the previous round of lay offs affected my inside source who supplied me with valuable insider information. I no longer have a source inside the camp, but people have been hitting me up with information nonetheless.

Apparently, Jay Z's "American Gangster" was such a dismal failure that Def Jam was forced to fire everyone involved with the project. Those taking the hit included A&R people and a few of Jay Z's closest a.ssociates. Even an independent record label under the Def Jam umbrella silently got the axe.

None of the major artists on the roster were affected by the cuts though. President of Island Urban Music, Jermaine Dupri's newest signee Rocko Da Don's contract is safe for the time being. He is busy putting the finishing touches on his new album to be released early next year.

Several sources say that the millions Def Jam poured into Jay Z's concept album - which failed to crack the platinum ceiling 4 weeks out - has maxed out Def Jam's budget for the next fiscal quarter. Sources speculate that Jay Z promised Def Jam CEO L.A. Reid a golden egg but he couldn't deliver.

One source even told me, "when you add up all the money Def Jam has lost since Jay Z came on board, it's a no-brainer that Jay Z makes terrible business decisions."

Source:
 10 years ago '04        #71
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
space
 BackBlock_OG said:

Tierra Marie – Flop. Need I say more. Mental Note: Just because Jay-Z appears as a feature on a single doesn’t necessarily mean it will equate to record sales.
Rihanna – An interesting replacement who has proven to be mediocre in record sales but a darling to the camera.
Young Jeezy – Jay-Z did not sign Young Jeezy to Def Jam, credit for this megastar belongs to the former helms at Def Jam, Lyor Cohen and Kevin Liles.
Ne-Yo – Ne-Yo was already signed to Def Jam records prior to Jay-Z becoming president.
Megan Rochelle – Although she is incredibly talented, Jay-Z has proved that his ability to develop a female R&B pop artist who can actually sing is not strong.
Chrisette Michelle – Another fabulously talented vocalist whose timing was impeccably off given the fact that the buzz she obtained through appearing on Jay-Z’s album and her release of her solo album were not in sync.
Nas – Although this was the biggest news to hit Hip-Hop at the moment, Nas’ signing to Def Jam was brilliant on Jay-Z’s part, however, spending 20 million to market yourself, and only 2 million dollars on marketing the most anticipated comeback album next to your own doesn’t fair well.
 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM         #72
REAL_NESS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Javon23 said:
you come at me with a.ssumptions i come at you with facts.

Fam you're seriously a chump. Dude shut you down and once again you didn't even RESPOND to any of his questions. And at you taking a biased source.

The BAD

Jay-Z's presidential term did have its fair share of misses. Ghostface k!llah, Method Man and even his own Roc-A-Fella artists Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek and the Young Gunz all had difficulties getting their latest projects off the ground.

A lot of the problems Def Jam releases have experienced could be attributed to meager marketing and promotion. LL Cool J, Jay's most vocal detractor the past couple of years, has said the Jigga Man was only focused on himself as an artist and wasn't handling business in the rap Oval Office.
The GOOD

During his tenure, however, Jay enjoyed a number of highs.

Under his watch, the Def Jam roster was bolstered, once again making the legendary label the most formidable house in rap. Young Jeezy became an instant hip-hop superstar, while Rick Ross finally broke through the streets' glass ceiling to become one of the most respected MCs in the game right now. Nas came over from Sony with Jay's help, and Jadakiss recently brought his standard-bearing bars of death to Def Jam from Interscope. Meanwhile, Fabolous fared respectably with his recent Def Jam debut, From Nothin' to Somethin'. The album went gold and spawned the 2007 monster single "Make Me Better." Jay also had two big successes in Kanye West's Graduation, which dropped earlier this year, and Late Registration, which was released in 2005.

But as it turns out, El Presidente's legacy might actually wind up being weighted more heavily toward the R&B stars whose careers he helped jump-start while in office. Jay-Z signee Rihanna is an international superstar, while Ne-Yo — who Hov also ushered through the door — is one of the most bankable stars in the genre right now.
Its also funny how when something is successful L.A. Reid gets the acclaim but when something failed Jay took all the blame hmmm
 10 years ago '04        #73
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
space
 REAL_NESS said:
Fam you're seriously a chump. Dude shut you down and once again you didn't even RESPOND to any of his questions. And at you taking a biased source.

The BAD

The GOOD

Its also funny how when something is successful L.A. Reid gets the acclaim but when something failed Jay took all the blame hmmm
any nothing i post means anything
its funny how you have a blind eye to facts you don't want to see
im done debating against children
 03-20-2008, 08:12 PM         #74
REAL_NESS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Javon23 said:
any nothing i post means anything
its funny how you have a blind eye to facts you don't want to see
im done debating against children
Your the only child in here. I have already heard about the "massive layoffs" so I had no need to read it. There have also been massive layoffs over at Geffen/Interscope, Sony etc. over the years so you have no point

Its always fu*ked up when people lose their jobs but the industry is fu*ked up right now and ONCE again you STILL couldn't respond to anybody else's questions
 10 years ago '04        #75
Big War|M 
space
space
$14,187 | Props total: 1072 1072
somebody will pick him up... he's Jigga...

if not, he'll eventually open it up on his own...
 03-20-2008, 10:10 PM         #76
iHate 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k jigga
hes not that great of a rapper
 03-20-2008, 10:54 PM         #77
killahshan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I fu*ks wit Jigga as a Rapper...One of the greats...But Its been proven over and over again.My dude Is a Horrible Executive..so no wonder noone is tryin to give him what he wants for his label...I think he need to just fallback enjoy his millions and fu*k his rnb bi*ch...
 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM         #78
LYRICALDETOX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What happened to roc a fella records ? LOL . . . . .

and thats tha guy u chose to name ur company after.......

put it together, i roc hoes ya'll roc fellaz
 10 years ago '06        #79
pakishag 
space
space
$205 | Props total: 0 0
Jay-Z that, Jay-Z this (Jay-Z won't give me no money)
Get off Jay-Z d*ck
What y'all n*ggas get front page articles, y'all mention Jay-Z name
(c) hov
 10 years ago '04        #80
Ganja Man 
space
space
$983 | Props total: 45 45
 FlyBoyUak said:
A digital record label w/ Apple is going to change the face of the entire Music Industry. I hope he moves forward w/ that idea, bc CURRENT records sales show they we are in a Digital Era...can't do the same sh*t you did in the 90's.
you got a pont bro nobody buy ova tha counter crack no more we get it shipped via DHL...the digital industry isnt in Apple hand its in DMG (Dinero Media Group). nuf said
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
138 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
204 comments
1 day ago