Mar 5 - Lincoln Wanted to Buy Slaves for $400 Apiece in 'Gradual Emancipation'

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
133 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
180 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '07        #1
6605 pageviews
173 comments

QC_Neef 
space
space
$410 | Props total: 0 0
Mar 5 - Lincoln Wanted to Buy Slaves for $400 Apiece in 'Gradual Emancipation'

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Barely a year into the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln suggested buying slaves for $400 apiece under a "gradual emancipation" plan that would bring peace at less cost than several months of hostilities.

The proposal was outlined in one of 72 letters penned by Lincoln that ended up in the University of Rochester's archives. The correspondence was digitally scanned and posted online along with easier-to-read transcriptions.

Accompanying them are 215 letters sent to Lincoln by dozens of fellow political and military leaders. They include letters from Vice President Andrew Johnson and Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, who both succeeded Lincoln in the presidency in the 12 years after his a.ssassination in 1865.

War Cost $2 Million a Day

In a letter to Illinois Sen. James A. McDougall dated March 14, 1862, Lincoln laid out the estimated cost to the nation's coffers of his "emancipation with compensation" proposal.

Paying slaveholders $400 for each of the 1,798 slaves in Delaware listed in the 1860 census, he wrote, would come to $719,200 at a time when the war was soaking up $2 million a day.

Proposal Didn't fly
Buying the freedom of an estimated 432,622 slaves in Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and Washington, D.C., would cost $173,048,800 — nearly equal to the estimated $174 million needed to wage war for 87 days, he said.

Lincoln suggested that each of the states, in return for payment, might set something like a 20-year deadline for abolishing slavery.

The payout "would not be half as onerous as would be an equal sum, raised now, for the indefinite prosecution of the war," he told McDougall.

The idea never took root. Six months later, Lincoln issued the first of two executive orders known as the Emancipation Proclamation that declared an end to slavery. The 13th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified after the collapse of the Confederacy, ending two centuries of bondage in North America.

"To be given a document that plunks you right into a situation that Lincoln was facing, it's very compelling," said Brian Fleming, a University of Rochester librarian who is heading the online project, which debuted Feb. 18 — Presidents Day.

Seward Had Letters

The Lincoln letters addressing the war, slavery and other affairs of state are part of a collection of papers once belonging to his secretary of state, William H. Seward Sr.

They were bequeathed by Seward's grandson William Henry Seward III, who lived in Auburn, 70 miles east of Rochester, and arrived at the University of Rochester between 1949 and 1987.

The digitally scanned letters appear on the school library's Web site — Library.rochester.edu — along with transcriptions, contextual essays written by graduate students and lesson plans designed to help teachers.

[pic - click to view]

http://www.foxnews.com/st .. 335189,00.html

173 comments for "Mar 5 - Lincoln Wanted to Buy Slaves for $400 Apiece in 'Gradual Emancipation'"

10 years ago '04        #2
JBeezy 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,932 | Props total: 405 405
600,000 Americans needlessly died.......and Lincoln imprisoned people for merely speaking against the war.

And yet we're taught he was some fu*king hero.
 10 years ago '07        #3
neeko21 
space
space
$2,122 | Props total: 846 846
man i dont give a fu*k bout this dude, he's dead...its not like we can do something about it
 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM         #4
GЯaham 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadowX said:
Yeah, look at where black people are in society. Other minorities like Asians and even Hispanics have made it far in America, while blacks stay in poverty. Oh well get your welfare.
every1 is in poverty nowadays dipsh*t all races. so stop fu*king that its just one kind that is or one kind that gets brought down by the man... grow up.
some people above us do want us down but we (any race) bring ourselfs down more than anyone or anything.
 10 years ago '07        #5
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
 itzmurdah said:
or as dirty and filthy as your african ancestors. it is a fact that they were/are the dumbest people on the planet. these primitive animals didnt even have the wheel LOL
Kush? Go study the inventions

The wheel was supposedly invented in Mesopotamia.
Amerindians didn't have the wheel. Africans did in some areas. If you notice, there's a huge desert called the Sahara that blocks much contact with people further north and east. Sh*t, as far as dirty goes, a lot of Europeans didn't bathe much.
:finger:

Last edited by Playa; 03-05-2008 at 08:06 PM..
 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM         #6
slyestwun 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it sounds like a great idea to avoid war....plus according to some folk Lincoln had african in him so i guess he was looking out for the good of all.....well not really cause you would have a bunch of free slaves with no money and a bunch of former slave owner with extra money to enrich the south and they might have overtaken the US and we might have to do a pledge to that ugly a.ss confederate flag so nevermind.........................
 10 years ago '07        #7
kyhoopsgoat 418 heat pts418
space
space
$18,664 | Props total: 4412 4412
 majestic75 said:
I laugh every time I hear Abe Lincoln referred to as some kinda fu*kin demigod, he's just as dirty as every other white person alive during his time was.
Yeah and if those so-called 'dirty white' people didn't bring your ancestors to the New World you still be over in Africa hunting elephants with spears...
 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM         #8
Michael Jordan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadowX said:
Yeah, look at where black people are in society. Other minorities like Asians and even Hispanics have made it far in America, while blacks stay in poverty. Oh well get your welfare.

I can tell you must be spanish because nobody believing that nonsense but a Hispanic..

Standing outside of my HomeDepot looking for work is not making it.

Taking refuge inside a church so your a.ss won't get deported is not making it.

Living 20 to a house is not making it..

Can anyone name me 3 Hispanic USA Millionaires that do not involve in some sort of movie or sports entertainment?

Black people have contributed more to the economy than the spanish person ever has..

What are some latin-american inventions? Seriously what have you people done other than landscaping, caretaker, and small construction. fu*k outta here with that bullsh*t.

Last edited by Michael Jordan; 03-05-2008 at 08:43 PM..
 10 years ago '04        #9
R. Joven 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,126 | Props total: 65 65
The Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in territories (i.e. The Confederacy) in which Lincoln had no control.
 10 years ago '04        #10
Mr_Plenty 
space
space
$2,725 | Props total: 289 289
LOL wit yall posts lol yea some of them white man stink like fuc lol
 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM         #11
Michael Jordan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kyhoopsgoat said:
Yeah and if those so-called 'dirty white' people didn't bring your ancestors to the New World you still be over in Africa hunting elephants with spears...
Or maybe we would have came over on our own free will much like other people around the world...

HOW ARE THE WHITE PEOPLE FINDING THIS BOARD? BOXDEN IS FALLING OFF.
 10 years ago '04        #12
jewelz1132 5 heat pts
space
space
$12,667 | Props total: 2195 2195
damn ...mj got hot
 10 years ago '07        #13
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
I'm guessing Muhammad's(king of ancient Mali) attempted voyage to the Americas(before the European explorers attempted) isn't significant to the argument of the technological development of the "Old World" Africa. People are clueless. They immediately try to call African ppl primitive back then and use Nat. Geo. logic to back it up without knowing a drop of African history. They see a jungle region and run with it. Sad.
Chiefs sold slaves to slave traders most of the time FYI.
Clothes, paper, boats, weapons, combs, agriculture, pyramids, mathematics, writing, housing, jewelry ...- African development
 10 years ago '07        #14
neeko21 
space
space
$2,122 | Props total: 846 846
i dont kno what yall talkin bout...but im black and paid so i guess this excludes me
 10 years ago '04        #15
VerballyAbusive 
space
space
space
$4,465 | Props total: 293 293
Wow @ some of the ignorant a.ss comments.

Last edited by VerballyAbusive; 03-05-2008 at 11:18 PM..
 10 years ago '07        #16
IFuckedUrMom 25 heat pts25
space
space
$1,933 | Props total: 3504 3504
 Michael Jordan said:

I can tell you must be spanish because nobody believing that nonsense but a Hispanic..

Standing outside of my HomeDepot looking for work is not making it.

Taking refuge inside a church so your a.ss won't get deported is not making it.

Living 20 to a house is not making it..:lol:

Can anyone name me 3 Hispanic USA Millionaires that do not involve in some sort of movie or sports entertainment?

Black people have contributed more to the economy than the spanish person ever has..

What are some latin-american inventions? Seriously what have you people done other than landscaping, caretaker, and small construction. fu*k outta here with that bullsh*t.

* = you own Home Depot?

* = So every hispanic there is on the run?

* = It's called surviving.

Wow buddy you must have a great misconception about the hispanic community. You are simply narrow minded just like the majority of the other people in this country. People like you take everything for granted, people like you don't appreciate sh*t. The Hispanic community has contributed just as much to this country as the black community has. There you went stereotyping them like everybody else. I don't know where you're from, but in Cali theres hispanics with a wide range of preffesions: cops, judges, doctors; the list goes on. Open your eyes! Were all minorities in this country, it doesn't matter wether you got here last year or 400 years ago. It ain't your country it ain't mine... ITS OURS, TOGETHER.

You tell me what you see when you look at a house full of mexicans? You know what I see? It's them dealing with all the scrutiny and hard times while they're just working their a.sses off for less than minimum wage doin the sh*t that no one else wants to do. Why U ask? because those sh*t jobs are better than anything they can get back home. They give up every single penny they get here and send it back home so their families can sleep well at night, so their kids have clothes to wear. If you laugh when you see this then you are just a sorry individual.

and to answer your questions...
Jeffrey P Bezos - net woth 3.6 billion (Amazon)
Jorge M Perez - net worth 1.8 billion (real estate)
Arturo Moreno - net worth 1.1 billion (billboards)
Moreno owns 8.8 million shares of Viacom worth $320 million, 10 million of CBS worth $285 million.

Bytheway, who the fu*k are you? Actin like your superior and sh*t... please.
 03-06-2008, 12:27 AM         #17
ElMarroAfamado 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadowX said:
damn thats crazy but its true.....
at my school im amazed at how few black people i see its full of mexicans, asians and white people ....
 10 years ago '06        #18
John_Dillinga 
space
space
$696 | Props total: 0 0
You tell me what you see when you look at a house full of mexicans? You know what I see? It's them dealing with all the scrutiny and hard times while they're just working their a.sses off for less than minimum wage doin the sh*t that no one else wants to do. Why U ask? because those sh*t jobs are better than anything they can get back home. They give up every single penny they get here and send it back home so their families can sleep well at night, so their kids have clothes to wear. If you laugh when you see this then you are just a sorry individual.

Bytheway, who the fu*k are you? Actin like your superior and sh*t... please.

LMAO!

I guess construction Jobs that use to be $25 dollars an hour for a legal american citizen is a sh*t job, so much so That Construction formans basicly "Had to let go" experienced Construction workers that made $25.00 an hour to hire Mexicans.
And now the experienced construction workers that use to make $25.00 an hour had to ether find other fields of employment or become unemployed.

Now lets look at another sh*tty job, Computer techs, salary ranges vary from level of experience but usually an average tech could make $30.00+ an hour which now the experience techs who get layed off and end up taking lower paying jobs because they "Had to be let go" in order for basic level trained Mexicans to take their jobs.
Lets also not forget the sh*tty job feilds like interior design and lawnscaping...

I also love how unlicensed/uninsured Mexicans can obtain new cars and large pickup trucks on their "Minimum Wage" jobs where they make way more then minimun wage. and can pimp out their cars on minimum wage with body kits and chrome tubes with big crome balls all over the truck bed and roof and custom paint jobs with "MEX CITY" all over the car/truck... now how do they send all their money back home? Explain how that is possible when most mexican families have between 4 to 6 kids and live 12 or more in homes and appartments, plus i love how every home has indoor pluming but these dirty a.ss mother fu*kers sh*t in plain site outside their homes or p!ss on other peoples homes after a weekday night of drinking in bars...

Well I know none of them pay taxes so that's one way their working the system, They get free medicare Which legal tax paying citizens like myself pay for, and lets not forget wellfare which they also get after they tell the wellfare agent "Se hablo no inglish, no dinero"

But yet those same hardworking Mexicans are sturggling?

Why U ask? because those sh*t jobs are better than anything they can get back home.
Incase you haven't noticed Major companies Like Ford, Hershey, GM, Microsoft etc.... Muti million dollar industries, All have moved to Mexico and hire local citizens to work at wages well above Minimum wage in any state in the U.S.

While legal U.S. Citizens suffer in Minimum wages jobs are on the verge of loosing a home to foreclosure, Increased transportation cost and can't afford the basic needs because they have to pay for outlandish prices for water, electricity and heating oil. Not to mention Gas for their cars, And use creditcards to pay bill after bill with no money for the credit card bill when it comes in the mail.
More then 60% of the Middleclass are now considered Low income (Poor)

sh*t to me Job oppertunities look better in Mexico then they do here currently. Hell even the American dollar is worth more down there... im about to stack up all my chips and do what they do take my money move down there and cake out off the new muti-million job market and live like a king.

Last edited by John_Dillinga; 03-06-2008 at 12:54 AM..
 03-06-2008, 01:01 AM         #19
Michael Jordan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've never heard a mexican working in the IT feild in my fu*kin life.. Give me a break.

If anything IT jobs are being taken due to outsourcing in India and China. Where the fu*k did you get the "Mexicans are taking the IT jobs.."

Mexicans are only taking landscaping and some parts of construction but are being grossly underpaid.

A mexican tricking his money on body kits for his car is the measure of success? You just wrote a full essay about nothing.

Yes mexicans are fu*kin struggling.
 10 years ago '06        #20
John_Dillinga 
space
space
$696 | Props total: 0 0
 Michael Jordan said:
I've never heard a mexican working in the IT feild in my fu*kin life.. Give me a break.

If anything IT jobs are being taken due to outsourcing in India and China. Where the fu*k did you get the "Mexicans are taking the IT jobs.."

Mexicans are only taking landscaping and some parts of construction but are being grossly underpaid.

A mexican tricking his money on body kits for his car is the measure of success? You just wrote a full essay about nothing.

Yes mexicans are fu*kin struggling.

Well since a lot of IT traning centers are filled with them among indians and chinese they are there you personally may not see them but out here... they are. Trust me I have tried to get into the same 2 training centers and it's always the same. there's no space because they are taking most of the slots available.

Are you fu*king kidding me when these motherfu*kers walk around with wads of cash and break off a few hundred to send home and don't flinch... grossly underpaid my a.ss...

Those two jobs you mentioned my sad pitiful little friend are not the only jobs they are taking...

I'd like to know what your smoking it must be that good sh*t to make you delousional like that

Yes mexicans are fu*kin struggling
fu*k outta here...
I'm guessing your an advocate for that amnesty bill too

I'm guessing your a mexican as well

ARE YOU MAD?

I can't wait for New York to do what Arizonia and a few other states have done, Fine business for hiring Ilegal Mexicans, Fine Landlords for allowing them to rent homes and appartments. If every state took that example there wouldn't be so many poor legal citizens that were forced outta work.
So a worthless Mexican could be hired... Good thing i do my own yard work.

I also find it funny you had to pick through my entire post just to find stuff for you to say "UNNN HUH, YES THEY ARE STRUGGLING!!!!!" and sounding like a lil bi*ch while doing it
I guess the other 99% of my post speaks the truth

so go ahead be mad :applause:

oh yea fu*k moving to mexico

One USD is now worth 25 million in Zimbabwe

I'm moving to Zimbabwe

Last edited by John_Dillinga; 03-06-2008 at 02:06 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
73 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
88 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
159 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
71 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
95 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
73 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden member addressing PORC & trolling accusations
75 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy